Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Moderate Acclaimed Album 2 Championship: Initials B.B. vs Seventeen Seconds

With Mindrocker breaking the tie in the semifinals, we're down to our final two albums.

Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. vs
The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

It just so happens, I will be on vacation next weekend, and get home Tuesday. So vote will close: Tuesday, August 25, midnight board time.

Anybody can vote, even if you haven't been participating to this point, but you must have heard both albums in order to vote.

Re: Best Moderate Acclaimed Album 2 Championship: Initials B.B. vs Seventeen Seconds

1. Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B.
2. The Cure - Seventeen Seconds

Great final to a great game, thank you Bill for running it. A lot of great finds, Initials B.B. being one of the best, so I'm glad it's in the final and it makes the vote easy.

Re: Best Moderate Acclaimed Album 2 Championship: Initials B.B. vs Seventeen Seconds

I'm shocked. Both of my picks won, the exact opposite of the first time.

I'm going to vote for the Cure. It's a great album, alothough I do have a slight grudge against it for knocking out "The Cry of Love" (by one vote!)

Winner - Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. vs

I'm so happy (and surprised) than the Gainsbourg's album go to the final, by far my vote go to Serge of course. I think it's one of the album I choose at the begining.

I will vote Initials B.B.

It was my second favorite in the quarterfinals, and it beat my favorite.

Romain, other than Historie de Melody Nelson and Initials B.B., what else do you recommend from Serge?

Serge Gainsbourg gets my vote easily.

BillAdama- any thought of running this year's champion against NMH?

Thanks!

BillAdama

Romain, other than Historie de Melody Nelson and Initials B.B., what else do you recommend from Serge?

I made this thread last year, maybe you can find some good things in.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3172289350&frmid=10&msgid=1094191&cmd=show

I really really love Serge and I found all excellent, but generally, his first period is more appreciated than his second (the fourth last albums).
I found "L'homme à la tête de chou" wonderful. It's a "classic" here in France in the same level of Melody. "Vu de l'extérieur" and "Jane Birkin - Serge Gainsbourg" are excellent too. "Gainsbourg Confidentiel" and "N°4" are another masterpiece. And I don't know why "Love on the beat" is usually love by people who don't love Gainsbourg.

And, it's a soundtrack but it's absolutely essential, try "Anna".

And if you have the chance to found "Le cinéma de Gainsbourg", you can listen some of the funkiest music he made.

P.S. : do you even know who is the B.B. in the title ?

Romain
P.S. : do you even know who is the B.B. in the title ?
There is only one B.B.!

Haha...I don't know in other countries if this nickname is known.

Benazir Bhutto of course!

I like both albums but I'm no particular fan of them, B.B. was my #21 of 1968 and 17" was my #22 of 1980 (not that much on any given year but those were particularly strong years). But having listened to 17" again I realized how much I liked The Cure. Maybe I put it so low because it was sandwiched between two albums I really loved, "Three Imaginary Boys" and "Faith". So finally my vote goes to... "Seventeen Seconds".

BillAdama

It's funny Pitchwork has just make a review of his 1964's album "Gainsbourg Percussion" (very good album)
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15717-gainsbourg-percussions/

Guess what? My vote goes to Seventeen Seconds.

Great final.

Brad

Thanks!

That'd be a bit too predictable, wouldn't it?

BillAdama
Brad

Thanks!

That'd be a bit too predictable, wouldn't it?

I would vote for Seventeen Seconds against it. And here,I vote for:

Seventeen Seconds

Seventeen Seconds

Also, Brad is officially the winner of Predict It, meaning he's won any CD from the draw that is attainable for a reasonable price.

So, send your pick and mailing address to AMModeratePoll@gmail.com.

Furthermore, I got a Software Developer job offer today. So, this will be the last game I run on the forum. After this is over I officially release the 'Best Moderately Acclaimed Album' franchise if anybody else wants to run one.

Bill- congrats on the job offer... Best of luck to you!

If no-one else minds, I could certainly take over the franchise starting in 2012. It's about time I earned my keep around here.

Nice job throughout the tournament!

BillAdama
Also, Brad is officially the winner of Predict It, meaning he's won any CD from the draw that is attainable for a reasonable price.

So, send your pick and mailing address to AMModeratePoll@gmail.com.

Furthermore, I got a Software Developer job offer today. So, this will be the last game I run on the forum. After this is over I officially release the 'Best Moderately Acclaimed Album' franchise if anybody else wants to run one.

Congratulations on the job - so this means your 'reasonable price' increases from what it was...

One more day to vote. After this there will be a 'Most discovered album' poll where people vote on their favorite albums they hadn't heard before the game started.

Congratulations on the new job BillAdama!

The final result:

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds defeats Serge Gainsbourg - Initials B.B. by a score of 6-4.

After a lot of close votes toward the end, the victor is the album that came the closest to qualifying for the first game without doing so. Good year, and I hope Brad or somebody else will continue the game next year.

Stephan
Congratulations on the new job BillAdama!

Let me echo this! Woo hoo!

And hooray to the victor! Seventeen Seconds is amazing.

Awesome job, billadama... Much fun. Count me in for taking over. As for winning the predict it bracket, no need to buy a cd... The discoveries were a reward in themselves! Best of luck in your job!

What ever happened to the "Moderately Acclaimed Songs" idea? I think that would draw a larger crowd than the albums game (which I loved, by the way), simply because it's easier to listen to.

Brad
Awesome job, billadama... Much fun. Count me in for taking over. As for winning the predict it bracket, no need to buy a cd... The discoveries were a reward in themselves! Best of luck in your job!

I appreciate you letting me off the hook, but don't feel any pressure to.

I think the reason a Moderately Acclaimed Songs didn't happen is that songs are well known further down the list than albums. I think we talked about a contest for 1025-3000 songs near the start of Bracketology but nobody ever claimed it.

I would be up for that, or something focused on new less well known songs.

Listyguy
What ever happened to the "Moderately Acclaimed Songs" idea? I think that would draw a larger crowd than the albums game (which I loved, by the way), simply because it's easier to listen to.

I think that unacclaimed songs simply works better than moderately acclaimed just because of the nature of songs lists (they focus on singles, overlooking some of our forum favorites).

However, I agree it would be a good idea for the next unacclaimed songs game to include the songs ranked below 1024, instead of excluding songs with any acclaim whatsoever.