Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM World Cup: Week 6 of the Pool Round

The time for epic matches has come. Only 16 of the 32 teams below will advance to the second round. This is a make or break week. The time has come for the conclusion of the pool round. Last week, we witnessed some amazing finishes, some failures to perform, and some surprise teams advancing. I expect to see more of that this week. Please remember when voting to vote for the song, not the artist. And DO NOT VOTE STRATEGICALLY!!!!! You should vote for the song you like more, not the song by the artist that isn’t going to be a threat to your team. Now that I got that out of the way, let me go ahead and show you this week’s competitors:

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) vs. The Byrds (My Back Pages)
Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) vs. The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego)
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) vs. Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)
David Bowie (Life On Mars?) vs. The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane)
Prince (Kiss) vs. Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto)
Elvis Costello (I Want You) vs. Aretha Franklin (Think)
The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) vs. U2 (Desire)
The Clash (White Riot) vs. James Brown (Get on the Good Foot)
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar)
Nirvana (About a Girl) vs. The Doors (Riders on the Storm)
Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady)
Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) vs. Van Morrison (She Give Me Religion)
Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) vs. The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset)
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) vs. R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe)
The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) vs. Talking Heads (The Great Curve)
Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) vs. The Who (Pinball Wizard)

Re: AM World Cup: Week 6 of the Pool Round

Two reminders: Please correct any mistakes I have and There will be a bye for all teams next week. I repeat, There will be no matches next week.

Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) vs. Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)

From Week 3:

Dan M
Elvis Presley ((Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame) vs. Aretha Franklin (Baby I Love You)

Listyguy
Aretha Franklin (Baby I Love You) def Elvis Presley ((Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame) 10-9

Now he faces Prince next. And the award for worst manager goes to...

At least this time I can honestly vote for Elvis.

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb)

Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks)
My favorite songs from both, I like Zep just a little bit more...

Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)

David Bowie (Life On Mars?)
Not even close, Bowie's finest moment...

Prince (Kiss)
I can't help but think of Cartman when I hear "In The Ghetto"...

Elvis Costello (I Want You)

The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley)
Only a handful of matchups where I vote for The Beatles over U2, this is one of them...

The Clash (White Riot)
So raw and awesome, always love hearing this song...

Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar)

Nirvana (About a Girl)

Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place)

Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up)

The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset)
One of my favorite Kinks tunes...

R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe)
I was 10 years old back in '83 when I heard this song for the first time, I remember asking who this was and from that point forward being a R.E.M. fan. It has that kind of an impact, even for a 10 year old kid who heard it by chance...

The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again)

Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road)

Dan M

From Week 3:
Dan M
Elvis Presley ((Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame) vs. Aretha Franklin (Baby I Love You)

Listyguy
Aretha Franklin (Baby I Love You) def Elvis Presley ((Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame) 10-9

Now he faces Prince next. And the award for worst manager goes to...

You did the right thing if you preferred the Aretha song.

I did the same thing in the Eurythmics/Cure matchup, but was lucky enough that Eurythmics pulled through anyway.

I can do a couple immediately:

Winner: Zep. When The Levee Breaks is just one of the most glorious, nihilistic, full-of-attitude, badass ending songs ever. There's that incredible 10 second bit when John Bonham drums like a madman, while those guitars scream in the background, and I'm really quite sure that Led Zep, while I don't enjoy them that much, had the most talented lineup of any rock band ever. I never been a fan of "guitar heroes" but this is one of those exceptional times. The Beach Boys stood no chance against a top-20 song for me.

Winner: Bowie. This one is quite close for me. It essentially came down to the epicness of the Bowie song vs the quirky zippiness of the VU one, and Bowie edged it. I'd probably be more likely to listen to the VU song on any given day, because it's lighter, but Life On Mars is one of those songs that you don't listen to often but really impresses you every time you do.

Winner: Radiohead. I've never been a big fan of Jimi. To some extent it's kinda that "guitar hero" thing that Jimi does, so that while he may be supremely talented, I'd much prefer to listen to the jangly guitars of say Johnny Marr. Everything in it's Right Place is one of the easier cuts on Kid A, and while I contend that songs that are easier to get into are generally worse than those that take a few listens, this is one of the exceptions for me.

Winner: R.E.M.. I have NEVER understood the appeal of Exile on Main St. I love Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, but Exile does next to nothing for me. I think to some extent it's due to the fact that, because there are so many songs, each song doesn't have much to "do", whereas on a 10 song album, each song has to pull its weight. Nonetheless Tumbling Dice is quite a good song surrounded by average ones, but it can't contend with the monster that is Radio Free Europe. I love that jangly sound, I love his voice, it's just great.

Winner: Talking Heads. Apart from being my own pick (in a group of death they've done awfully), I really do think that appreciating the Great Curve is like appreciating the philosphy, what Talking Heads were going for with their nerdy, silly-yet-clever, jangly strand of punk. The Great Curve of course has african influences, but that just adds to it for me. To me it's a mix of philosophy, wierd influences and stellar production and it (almost) can't be beat. Bigmouth is also part of that nerdy, silly-yet-clever group of artists that I love, and Bigmouth is absolutely hilarious. But coming at the King, you're gonna need something better than that (I Know It's Over woulda done the trick!!)

Winner: Bruce. No philosophy here, just flat out fun. It's quite wierd that Bruce is surely one of those artists who plays like a guitar hero, yet for some reason, I see him in a different way to people like Jimi or the Who. It's a mixture of great lyrics, great background music (it's the song that keeps on giving) and Bruce's charisma. Pinball Wizard is simply a meh song in my mind.

The Byrds (My Back Pages): 5
Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb): 3

Neither of these artists do much (if anything) for me, but The Byrds can make some pretty harmonies. There are impressive elements to "Comfortably Numb", but the drugginess and the vocals ruin it for me.

The Beach Boys (Hang On to Your Ego): 6
Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks): 4

This matchup is closer than it should be by virtue of "When the Levee Breaks" being quite good by Led Zeppelin standards. However, the other-worldliness of "Hang on to Your Ego" still wins.

Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos): 8
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)): 6

I like Stevie Wonder a whole bunch, as he's in my top 20 artists. Public Enemy isn't in my top 100, but "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" is great and easily outclasses 60s Stevie.

David Bowie (Life On Mars?): 10
The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane): 6

Bowie once again turns to outer space for inspiration, and he managed to outdo "Space Oddity", which is quite an astounding feat. "Life on Mars?" is gorgeous, camp, overly dramatic, glamtastic and majestic and points to everything that Bowie would become. "Sweet Jane" is growing on me a little, but it still falls far below the standard of "Life on Mars?" as well as the standard VU set for themselves with their first 2 albums.

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) vs. The Byrds (My Back Pages): 3-1
Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) vs. The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego): 2-1
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) vs. Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos): 2-2, and I was going to with "Stevie heads one into the net in overtime", but that seems unlikely. He wins regardless.
David Bowie (Life On Mars?) vs. The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane): 2-3
Prince (Kiss) vs. Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto): 2-3
Elvis Costello (I Want You) vs. Aretha Franklin (Think): 2-2, 4-2 in penalties.
The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) vs. U2 (Desire): 0-1
The Clash (White Riot) vs. James Brown (Get on the Good Foot): 2-2, Strummer scores in overtime. Surprised there is no London Calling here. Score might be everything, after all.
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar): 3-1
Nirvana (About a Girl) vs. The Doors (Riders on the Storm): 0-3
Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady): The only Radiohead song that is likely to get my vote wins 2-1.
Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) vs. Van Morrison (She Give Me Religion): 2-2, 4-5 in penalties
Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) vs. The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset): 4-3
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) vs. R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe): 3-3, Keith scores in overtime. I was fearing a song I couldn't vote for over my own song, but it's #400 against #506.
The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) vs. Talking Heads (The Great Curve): 1-2
Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) vs. The Who (Pinball Wizard): 4-3

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) vs. The Byrds (My Back Pages) One of my favorite Floyd songs.
Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) vs. The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego) Every song on Zeppelin IV (my favorite album) would have won this.
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) vs. Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos) Stevie keeps on rollin'.
David Bowie (Life On Mars?) vs. The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane) There may very well be Life on Mars, they found water there.
Prince (Kiss) vs. Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto) I never understood why "Kiss" is considered one of Prince's best songs.
The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) vs. U2 (Desire) Golden Slumbers and Carry that Wieght are two of the weakest moments on "Abbey Road" for me. The End kicks ass, but "Desire" is one of my favorite U2 songs.
The Clash (White Riot) vs. James Brown (Get on the Good Foot) Finally! I can vote for JB!
Nirvana (About a Girl) vs. The Doors (Riders on the Storm) ONe fo my favorites from the Lizzard King.
Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady) It seem inevitable that Jimi's going to get blown out by Radiohead. I'm just hiping he can keep his goal difference above Bob Marley's.
Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) vs. The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset) Waterloo Sunset's fine.
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) vs. R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe) Great match. I love both.
The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) vs. Talking Heads (The Great Curve) A surprise win for the heads.
Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) vs. The Who (Pinball Wizard) The deaf dumb blind kid Sure Plays a Mean Pinball.

How likely is it that my favorite song by each artist would meet, two match-ups in a row? Well it happens here...don't be cruel to me!
Prince (Kiss) vs. Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto) - extremely hard, I was just more pleased to listen to "In the Ghetto" this time

The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) vs. Talking Heads (The Great Curve) - So hard! Really weird sound of that TH youtube clip btw...I prefer the original sound... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1IqW6kNdU&feature=related
Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) vs. The Who (Pinball Wizard) - I was really close to vote for "Pinball Wizard" here though, The Who's last great song.

Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos)
The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane)
Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto)
James Brown (Get on the Good Foot)
Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar)
The Doors (Riders on the Storm)
Van Morrison (She Give Me Religion)
Neil Young (Cortez the Killer)
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice)

First half votes

The Byrds (My Back Pages)
The Clash (White Riot)
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire)
Nirvana (About a Girl)
Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady)

Thanks!

Pink Floyd : Comfortably Numb
Led Zeppelin : When the Levee Breaks
Stevie Wonder : Uptight (so easy choice)
David Bowie : Life On Mars?
Prince : Kiss
Elvis Costello : I Want You (the best song of Costello by far for me)
The Beatles : Golden Slumbers Medley
The Clash : White Riot
Marvin Gaye : Ain’t That Peculiar
The Doors : Riders on the Storm
Jimi Hendrix : Foxy Lady
Bob Marley : Get Up, Stand Up
The Kinks : Waterloo Sunset
The Rolling Stones : Tumbling Dice
Talking Heads : The Great Curve
The Who : Pinball Wizard

Second half

Radiohead (Everything in It’s Right Place) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady)

Prince (Kiss): 9
Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto): 5

Prince's tight, sparse funk curl runs circles around a decent Elvis track that doesn't move me like it should.

Elvis Costello (I Want You): 8
Aretha Franklin (Think): 7

"Think" is my favorite Aretha song, and really takes off with that "Freedom..." segment, but it falls short of the gorgeously creepy "I Want You", which reminds me that I need more EC beyond the first 2 albums.

U2 (Desire): 7
The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley): 5

The Beatles medley was surprisingly inoffensive to me, although it seems every bit the mess that some of the more chop-change Sgt. Peppers tracks are. "Desire" is U2 in cruise control, but it still advances. I much prefer "All I Want Is You" from Rattle and Hum.

James Brown (Get on the Good Foot): 7
The Clash (White Riot): 7

This is super, super close. I agonized over which one to pick, but today, "Get on the Good Foot" has a slight edge. Both are strong tracks from artists I should investigate further.

Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar): 6
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire): 4

I love AbFab, so "This Wheel's on Fire" is not entirely unknown to me. I really like the cover from Siouxsie and the Banshees. But this original version doesn't cut the mustard. Some serviceable Motown from Marvin Gaye is more than enough to win.

The Doors (Riders on the Storm): 10
Nirvana (About a Girl): 8

It's become trendy to bash The Doors, but I think "Riders on the Storm" is pretty much unassailable. Those keyboards eerily twinkling above that ominous, relentless bass line. The tension in the lyrics. The almost inaudible whispering that matches the vocals. One of my top 100 songs. "About a Girl" is great in its own right, but it would settle around the 2000 spot in my list of top songs.

Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady): 7
Radiohead (Everything In Its Right Place): 6

The wonders of Radiohead are still somewhat elusive to me. I think that Björk does the intimate, emotional micro-beat thing way, way better. On the surface, "Everything in Its Right Place" is impressive, but it just doesn't move me. "Foxy Lady", meanwhile, has more than enough swagger to clinch a win.

Van Morrison (She Gives Me Religion): 6
Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up): 4

"She Gives Me Religion" is another decent Van Morrison track, although it doesn't quite impress like "Moondance". "Get Up, Stand Up" is probably my favorite Bob Marley song, but it still falls short.

The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset): 9
Neil Young (Cortez the Killer): 6

The nostalgic yearning of "Waterloo Sunset" was the catalyst to make me investigate The Kinks by virtue of a compilation, and now I'm debating which of the new reissues to get first. "Cortez the Killer" is engaging and powerful, but the style isn't really my cup of tea.

The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice): 6
R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe): 5

I'm starting to think that R.E.M. destroyed post-punk with their jangly sound, and I know which sound I (far) prefer. "Tumbling Dice" squeaks by.

Talking Heads (The Great Curve): 10
The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again): 9

What was that I said about jangle pop? Well, The Smiths are the exception to the rule, and "Bigmouth Strikes Again" with its treated vocals is a real treat. However, it still cowers in the wake of the furious funk/rock/voodoo freakfest of "The Great Curve", which has me moving by remote control every time I put it on. It's the highlight of Remain in Light for me, and ranks among my top 5 Talking Heads songs.

Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road): 6
The Who (Pinball Wizard): 2

I'm no Bruce Springsteen fan, but I like every song I've heard of his more than every song I've heard by The Who.

W - Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) (6) vs.
L - The Byrds (My Back Pages) (10)

W - Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) (11) vs.
L - The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego) (11.4)

W - Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) (11) vs.
L - Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos) (11.1)

L - David Bowie (Life On Mars?) vs.
W - The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane) - 10

L - Prince (Kiss) (11) vs.
W - Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto) (6)

L - Elvis Costello (I Want You) (10) vs.
W - Aretha Franklin (Think) (7)

W - The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) (8) vs.
L - U2 (Desire) (10)

W - The Clash (White Riot) (11.4) vs.
L - James Brown (Get on the Good Foot) (12))

L - Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire) (11.1) vs.
W - Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar) (9)

L - Nirvana (About a Girl) (10) vs.
W - The Doors (Riders on the Storm) (7)

L - Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) (10) vs.
W - Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady) (6)

W - Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) (11) vs.
L - Van Morrison (She Give Me Religion)

L - Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) (11.3) vs.
W - The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset) (10)

W - The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) (7) vs.
L - R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe) (10)

W - The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) (9) vs.
L - Talking Heads (The Great Curve) (11.4)

L - Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) (7) vs.
W - The Who (Pinball Wizard) (2)

I've really enjoyed the pool round. I've made some cool discoveries and have re-evaluated my perceptions of some of these artists. I tallied all of my votes so far and the resulting ranked artist list by average score is as follows:

THE GREAT!:

Eurythmics: 10
Siouxsie and the Banshees: 10
David Bowie: 10
Prince: 9.67
The Cure: 9.67
LCD Soundsystem: 9.67
Kraftwerk 9.67
New Order: 9
The Smiths: 9
Michael Jackson: 9

The good:

Stevie Wonder: 8.67
Arcade Fire: 8.67
The Kinks: 8.67
U2: 8.33
Brian Eno: 8.33
The Doors: 7.67
Talking Heads: 7.67
Elvis Costello: 7.67
Tom Waits: 7.67
Beastie Boys: 7.67
Radiohead: 7.67
Fela Kuti: 7.67
Depeche Mode: 7.33
The Clash: 7.33
Nirvana: 7.33
Public Enemy: 7.33
James Brown: 7.33
Blur: 7.33
The Velvet Underground: 7
Otis Redding: 7
Jimi Hendrix: 7
Marvin Gaye: 7
The Replacements: 7
Nine Inch Nails: 7

The pretty good:

Boards of Canada: 6.67
Vampire Weekend: 6.33
Sly and the Family Stone: 6.33
Arctic Monkeys: 6.33
Aretha Franklin: 6
Bruce Springsteen: 6
The Beach Boys: 6
The Rolling Stones: 6
Van Morrison: 6

The meh:

Queen: 5.67
Beck: 5.67
Wilco: 5.33
Chuck Berry: 5.33
Jay-Z: 5.33
The Byrds: 5.33
Elvis Presley: 5
R.E.M.: 5
Black Sabbath: 4.67
Bob Dylan: 4.67
Steely Dan: 4.33
Neil Young: 4.33

The bad:

Johnny Cash: 3.67
Pearl Jam: 3.67
Led Zeppelin: 3.33
Pink Floyd: 3.33
The Beatles: 3
Kanye West: 2.67
Bob Marley: 2.67
Coldplay: 2
The Who: 2

For the most part, I agree with these categorizations, although a few artists surprised me. The Kinks, Brian Eno and Fela Kuti are the biggest revelations to me. Blur, Marvin Gaye, Nine Inch Nails, Aretha Franklin, Bruce Springsteen, Queen and Elvis Presley are all in a higher category than I naturally feel, so well done managers! Van Morrison may be 2 categories higher! Artists categorized lower than I would naturally place them are The Velvet Underground, Depeche Mode, Chuck Berry and Kanye West, although I understand and admire Henrik's approach with DM.

Interestingly, I slightly prefer the B group (6.771) to the A group (6.375).

Anybody else caught by surprise by any of these artists? I look forward to the knockout rounds!

My Back Pages
When the Levee Breaks
Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos
Life On Mars?
Kiss
I Want You
Golden Slumbers Medley
White Riot
This Wheel’s On Fire
Riders on the Storm
Everything In It’s Right Place
Get Up, Stand Up
Waterloo Sunset
Radio Free Europe
Bigmouth Strikes Again
Thunder Road

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) vs. The Byrds (My Back Pages) 0-5
Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) vs. The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego) 5-5 DRAW
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) vs. Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos) 1-1 DRAW
David Bowie (Life On Mars?) vs. The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane) 5-1
Prince (Kiss) vs. Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto) 4-2
Elvis Costello (I Want You) vs. Aretha Franklin (Think) 2-5
The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) vs. U2 (Desire) 5-1
The Clash (White Riot) vs. James Brown (Get on the Good Foot) 0-1
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar) 0-0 3-4 penalties
Nirvana (About a Girl) vs. The Doors (Riders on the Storm) 1-3
Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady) 0-1
Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) vs. Van Morrison (She Give Me Religion) 5-0
Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) vs. The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset) 5-5 DRAW
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) vs. R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe) 1-0
The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) vs. Talking Heads (The Great Curve) 0-2
Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) vs. The Who (Pinball Wizard) 5-3

The Byrds-My Back Pages
Led Zeppelin-When The Leevee Breaks
Stevie Wonder-Uptight
David Bowie-Life On Mars?
Prince-Kiss
Aretha Franklin-Think
U2-Desire
James Brown-Get On The Good Foot
Bob Dylan-This Wheel's On Fire
The Doors-Riders On The Storm
Radiohead-Everything In It's Right Place
Bob Marley-Get Up Stand Up
The Kinks-Waterloo Sunset
R.E.M.-Radio Free Europe
The Smiths-Bigmouth Strikes Again
The Who-Pinball Wizard

I don't get the appeal of the Byrds music and Comfortably Numb was a huge favorite of my teenage years (and still a song I really like)

Led Zeppelin at their very best, hard to top

Tricky's cover of Black Steel would have easily won, but I still have a major problem with PE sound

Elvis Costello (I Want You) vs. Aretha Franklin (Think) (though I Want You is much better than I remembered)
I was thinking about a tie here, but I will give the advantage to the excellent discovery over my old time loved song

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) beats The Byrds (My Back Pages) - Tough call between two songs that are half beautiful, and half not so beautiful. THe sweep and scope of "Comfortably Numb wins out, despite parts some flaws at the beginning of the song. Love the harmonies on that classic "My Back Pages" refrain, but the lead singer's shaky delivery on the verses don't hit me right.

Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) beats The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego) - "I Know There's an Answer" is one of the low lights of Pet Sounds, and the more explicit drug lyrics of "Hang on..." does not help matters. "When the Levee Breaks" feels like it should pick up at some point, but the blues stomp kicks ass for at least half of the song.

Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) beats Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos) - Tricky's remake would also probably win here for me, although I do like the original. But the joy and fun of Little Stevie Wonder is infectious.

The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane) beats David Bowie (Life On Mars?) - Well, for me, there just won't be any more high powered matchup this tourney. In the last poll, "Sweet Jane" was my #10 all time song, and "Life on Mars?" was my #12. Sorry David. I think it's that close, and "Life on Mars?" is nothing short of a masterpiece, but the incandescent "Sweet Jane" takes it.

Prince (Kiss) beasts Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto) - Not really a contest.

Elvis Costello (I Want You) beats Aretha Franklin (Think) - I don't know what my problem with Aretha is. I should like her better than I do. The Costello song ends weakly, but hits an fine ecstasy of sexual obsession before then.

The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) beats U2 (Desire) - "Desire" is not a bad entry in U2's discography, but it is not nearly as moving or satisfying as the Beatles' quasi-culminating statement.

James Brown (Get on the Good Foot) beats The Clash (White Riot) - JB would have won just for the mighty "Que pasa" intro. But man oh man is this song awesome. And at a time when the full impact of rioting is being felt in the Clash's home country, I think back to JB in Boston, in April '68, showing the power of the funk over the power of anger, however righteous. All that nonsense aside, the Clash are always better the further they get from pure punk.

Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar) beats Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire) - Not the best from either, but Gaye definitely moves me more.

The Doors (Riders on the Storm) beats Nirvana (About a Girl) - Not excited about either. I gues I was more in the mood for "Riders on the Storm's" languid pace tonight. As usual, Manzarek's contributions bounce between kinda cool and kinda cheesy. The big problem with "About a Girl" is it feels a little rushed, even on the Unplugged album.

Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) beats Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady)- Both so good, in such different ways. Unfortunately for Jimi... I can't help but seeing Dana Carvey as Garth doing his goofy dance when this song plays. Anyway, "Everything in Its Right Place" wins on its own substantial merits.

Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) beats Van Morrison (She Give Me Religion) - I don't particularly care for this Wailers song. Musically, it feels strident. The shout sung chorus wears thin. But it is better than Van Morrison.

final votes to come...

The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset) beats Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) - Cortez is a killer (song), so I had to bring out the Kinks' most (deservedly) beloved song to have a good shot at moving on. The version of "Cortez the Killer" on Zuma is good, but the intro is a little overlong. I actually prefer the live version from Live Rust with sweet harmonies from Crazy Horse, interesting guitar work, and a peculiarly goofy finish to the song. As for "Waterloo Sunset," I'm in awe of what Davies can do. How does he, so economically, simultaneously make me nostalgic for a time and place that I have never been; jealous of the beautiful, young lovers; and secretly a bit empathetic with the misanthropic narrator?

R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe) beats The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) - Exile on Main St. is an overrated album in my book, but "Tumbling Dice" is really good. My critical ear, however, hears some faults that mirror those in the album as a whole... namely, Jagger's performance and voice is not as good as they usually are. That said, the "Got To Roll Me" part in the finale is flat-out awesome. I could listen to the last minute of "Tumbling Dice," stretched out to 15 minutes, and it could possibly be my favorite song of all time. But the song leading up to it is not as good as the GREAT "Radio Free Europe." ('81 single version, please.)

The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) beats Talking Heads (The Great Curve) - The Smiths normally would not beat Talking Heads, but "Bigmouth Strikes Again" is my absolute favorite of theirs. Great guitar sound, and Morrissey's vocals is witty and fun, and he doesn't lapse into being annoying as he sometimes (oftentimes?) does.

The Who (Pinball Wizard) beats Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) - I'm coming around a bit on "Thunder Road," which I did not like some reason. As for "Pinball Wizard," like Tommy as a whole, I can't put my finger on why I like it so much, and why their stuff thereafter (starting with Who's Next) disappoints me so much. Perhaps the goofiness of the whole pinball conceit goes well with the goofiness of the 60's singles I love so well ("Substitute," "I'm a Boy," "Pictures of Lily").

The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego)
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright))
The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane)
Aretha Franklin (Think)
U2 (Desire)
The Clash (White Riot)
no winner
The Doors (Riders on the Storm)
Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady)
Talking Heads (The Great Curve)
The Who (Pinball Wizard)

Comfortably Numb +++ beats My Back Pages +

I don't like most of Floyd's high concept songs but I love this one. And how did My Back Pages not get used in Benjamin button?

When The Levee Breaks ++ beats Hang On To Your Ego ++
Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos +++ beats Uptight +++

The only Public Enemy song that would have beaten Uptight for me.

Life On Mars ++++ beats Sweeet Jane ++

Kiss ++ beats In The Ghetto ----

The perfect matchup would have been In The Ghetto versus Don't Believe The Hype. It is the song, after all, that inspired a line in it, and one of the most condescending ever written.

Think +++ beats I Want You +++

I moved this in here because I only needed not to lose by 15 votes, but judging by the response I should have played Red Shoes and preserved this one.

Desire +++ beats Golden Slumbers +++

So many good matches today. Golden Slumbers is probably the best 'Good-bye fans' a band has ever given.

White Riot ++ beats Good Foot ++
This Wheel's On Fire +++ beats Ain't That Peculiar ++

Here's the story behind the Basement Tapes: Bob Dylan recorded them on his own in 1967 and gave copies to his music friends. Said music friends then covered them ten thousand times, and half of them appeared on The Band's 'Music From The Big Pink'. Robbie Robertson then organized a commercial release in 1975, but he replaced some of the original cuts with cuts The Band played in. In most cases I prefer the original cuts, because they were more dark and moody. Unfortunately those original cuts which were changed seem now only to exist in the bootleg collections of 55 year olds (And their grateful sons!), which is why Tears Of Rage was not selected instead.

About A Girl ++ beats Riders On The Storm +
Foxy Lady +++ beats Everything In It's Right Place ++
She Gives Me Religion + beats Get Up Stand Up +
Cortez the Killer ++ beats Waterloo Sunset +
Tumbling Dice ++ beats Radio Free Europe +
Bigmouth Strikes Again +++ beats The Great Curve +
Thunder Road ++ beats Pinball Wizard ++

The Byrds (My Back Pages)
The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego)
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright))
Aretha Franklin (Think)
James Brown (Get on the Good Foot)
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire)
Nirvana (About a Girl)
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice)

At this point I think I cast the deciding vote against my own song. Oh well, I didn't lose by 15, and The Smiths aren't any more scary than Bruce Springsteen given recent poll trends.

I have to ask, what is the appeal of In The Ghetto? It's like the song Michael Scott would write about the ghetto.

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) vs. The Byrds (My Back Pages) - Where are all these nice Byrds tracks? I've listened to their most acclaimed album Sweetheard of the Rodeo some times in the past and never found nothing even close to being as good as these songs competing here, Mr. Tambourine Man or Turn! Turn! Turn!
Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) vs. The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego) - When The Leeve Breaks is is one of the best Zeppelin tracks I've already heard, even Plant's vocals are good here. Anyway, it would be hard for any Zep track to win against any BB one. I always thought I Know There's An Answer was, together with Here Today, the underrated song of Pet Sounds, so its pleasing to see it's identical track Hang On to Your Ego receiving some love here.
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) vs. Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos) - Impressive groove from such a young talent. PE is nice, with that unique piano drive, but doesn't compete.
David Bowie (Life On Mars?) vs. The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane) - Zorg could explain exactly what I think here. Generally I'm more in the mood for hearing Sweet Jane, but anytime I'm up to hearing Life On Mars? I know it will another thrilling experience. This is song is maybe Bowie's best, probably the only really great track from an artist I quite dislike. He's generally too soft for me, but here he's all intensity, with melodramatic melodies and vocals, cutting chords and all the epicness of the song's structure. Probably it will be the first and last time in the whole game I'll be so enthusiastic while talking about him.
Prince (Kiss) vs. Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto) - One of the best matches of the week. Prince has lots of perfect songs like this, and Elvis has less than half a dozen ones, being In the Ghetto one of these few. His vocal is superb here, but today I choose the irresistible funk of Kiss.
Elvis Costello (I Want You) vs. Aretha Franklin (Think) - I still expect to hear My Red Shoes some time in this game.
The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) vs. U2 (Desire) - I don't understand how anyone cannot like this medley. I remember the first time I heard it, it was one the few times I felt like I would drop tears because of a song. And add it to the fact that its the Beatles carreer coming to the end, you have the perfect apotheosis for an astonishing history. U2 seemed like the kind of artist that would be all thrashed in a game like this one, but surprisingly they're showing they are always great contenders for any competition.
The Clash (White Riot) vs. James Brown (Get on the Good Foot) - tie, both don't move me.
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar) - Never heard this, and it was a great discover! But if you think, everything containing The Band's participation must obviously be good. Wins against a surprisingly awesome Gaye's song.
Nirvana (About a Girl) vs. The Doors (Riders on the Storm) - Kurt and Co. would make much better songs later, but this one already shows the potential that was about to explode. Err, have I already sad how much I hate The Doors?
Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady) - One of the few Kid A tracks that aproaches to the level of quality seen in In Rainbows, OKC and The Bends.
Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) vs. Van Morrison (She Give Me Religion) - Both great songs, but She Gives Me Religion is more my style.
Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) vs. The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset) - Waterloo is the better song, unfortunately!
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) vs. R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe) - Yes, looks like R.E.M is making their last appearance in the game, and I didn't have the opportunity of putting my faves Orange Crush or Stand to play. I only don't feel that bad about the elimination because my team fell in one of the most difficult groups of the tournament, containing an ambitious manager (Schwah) who estabilished for himself the goal of getting the underdog team to the second stage, even if for it he had to use his big guns. I had decided for myself that I prefered to go away only trying with Radio Free Europe than surely passing to the next round, but having already "lost my religion".
The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) vs. Talking Heads (The Great Curve) - I share the opinion of many here that consider this one of TH's best songs. For me, it's maybe the best track from RiL, with those enlightened african chorals, and the guitars-meet-metals complex but funky arrangement. I think the Heads are going away not by inferiority, but for being the most unlucky team of this cup, facing the masterpiece song of their first two opponents.
Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) vs. The Who (Pinball Wizard) - This Springsteen epic kind of summarizes everything the album it leads to is gonna be, what shows it's no far from perfection.

Voting is now over for the week.

Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb) def The Byrds (My Back Pages) 12-8
And so Floyd edges the Byrds for their only victory. Unfortunately, neither will be heard from again.
Led Zeppelin (When the Levee Breaks) def The Beach Boys (Hang Onto Your Ego) 15-5
And so Led Zeppelin gets the week’s biggest blowout, finishing the pool round in style, by totally destroying the Beach Boys. Regardless, both will be advancing.
Stevie Wonder (Uptight (Everything’s Alright)) def Public Enemy (Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos) 11-7
In an extremely close match, Stevie Wonder holds off Public Enemy to go undefeated in pool contention. Both already knew their fate when the week started, however.
David Bowie (Life On Mars) def The Velvet Underground (Sweet Jane) 14-7
This winner-take-all was not nearly as thrilling as the Wilco-Fela one from last week. Nonetheless, Bowie advances, the VU don’t.
Prince (Kiss) def Elvis Presley (In the Ghetto) 11-9
A very close match, Elvis lead for the first half of the week, but some late goals by Prince ensure his spot in the final 32.
Aretha Franklin (Think) def Elvis Costello (I Want You) 11-9
Another nail bitter. Costello goes undefeated in pool play, and will be seen in the next round.
The Beatles (Golden Slumbers Medley) def U2 (Desire) 12-8
The Fab Four prevent U2 from going undefeated, but they can’t ruin their amazing goal difference. Both will be moving on.
James Brown (Get on the Good Foot) def The Clash (White Riot) 10-9
And so the Godfather of Soul finally gets a win. Unfortunately, we will not see him or the Clash moving on.
Bob Dylan (This Wheel’s On Fire) def Marvin Gaye (Ain’t That Peculiar) 10-8
In a battle of giants, who both had sealed their fate before entering the week, Dylan edges Gaye by a pair to get first place (and a shot at Bowie).
The Doors (Riders on the Storm) def Nirvana (About a Girl) 13-6
I’m not certain, because I haven’t calculated it yet, but Nirvana may be the worst performing team in the pool round (based of goal difference).
Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) def Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady) 12-8
Here’s where I take a big sigh of relief. Jimi prevents total wreckage at the hands of Yorke and the Greenwoods, and advances. Radiohead will be moving on as well.
Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) def Van Morrison (She Gives Me Religion) 14-5
Despite coming really close (to close for my comfort), Bob Marley can not get enough goals to advance.
The Kinks (Waterloo Sunset) def Neil Young (Cortez the Killer) 15-3
After a week 1 blow out with one of their best songs, things were looking bad for the Kinks. But, they came back with two wins to move on.
The Rolling Stones (Tumbling Dice) def R.E.M. (Radio Free Europe) 12-8
The Stones will be moving on, Mills and co. will not be. The Stones also have the pleasure of facing the Beatles next week.
Talking Heads (The Great Curve) draw The Smiths (Bigmouth Strikes Again) 10-10
In a match that meant nothing, both teams gave it their all, and they battled to a tie.
Bruce Springsteen (Thunder Road) def The Who (Pinball Wizard) 12-8
The week’s other winner-take-all was not exciting either. The Who will be going home empty handed, and the Boss, still feeding on adrenaline from shutting out The Heads, will be moving on.

I will post the standings tomorrow, as well as the schedule for the elimination round.

Listyguy
Radiohead (Everything In It’s Right Place) def Jimi Hendrix (Foxy Lady) 12-8
Here’s where I take a big sigh of relief. Jimi prevents total wreckage at the hands of Yorke and the Greenwoods, and advances. Radiohead will be moving on as well.
Bob Marley (Get Up, Stand Up) def Van Morrison (She Gives Me Religion) 14-5
Despite coming really close (to close for my comfort), Bob Marley can not get enough goals to advance.
Radiohead, 6 points, goal diff +7
Jimi Hendrix, 6 points, goal diff +7
Bob Marley, 6 points, goal diff +3

Here are the final "A" standings.Teams in bold will advance. Teams crossed out will not.

Pool A.1
TeamRecord (W-L-DPointsGoal DifGoals Scored
U22-1-062241
The Beatles2-1-06635
James Brown1-2-03-1026
The Clash1-2-03-1821

Pool A.2
The Rolling Stones3-0-092039
The Kinks2-1-06333
R.E.M.1-2-03233
Neil Young0-3-00-2515

Pool A.3
Bob Dylan3-0-092242
Marvin Gaye2-1-062541
The Doors1-2-03-1721
Nirvana0-3-00-3016

Pool A.4
Stevie Wonder3-0-092142
David Bowie2-1-06738
The Velvet Underground1-2-03636
Public Enemy0-3-00-3414

Pool A.5
Led Zeppelin2-1-061027
The Beach Boys2-1-06732
Pink Floyd1-2-03-629
The Byrds1-2-03-1123

Pool A.6
Radiohead2-1-06732
Jimi Hendrix2-1-06730
Bob Marley2-1-06329
Van Morrison0-3-00-1718

Pool A.7
Prince2-1-061636
Elvis Costello2-1-061435
Aretha Franklin2-1-06-1224
Elvis Presley0-3-00-1821
Pool A.8
The Smiths2-0-171539
Bruce Springsteen2-1-062444
The Who1-2-03-1226
Talking Heads0-2-11-2719

I will be posting the matchups for next week, some random stats, ect. in the main thread. Please go there for any questions and such as well.