Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM World Cup: Week 5 of the Pool Round

The time for epic matches has come. Only 16 of the 32 teams below will advance to the second round. This is a make or break week. Some will win, some will lose, and some are going to sing (Tom Traubert's) Blues. But the tourney never ends it goes on and on and on and on (until mid-September). Now that I got that Journey reference out of the way, please remember when voting to vote for the song, not the artist. And DO NOT VOTE STRATEGICALLY!!!!! You should vote for the song you like more, not the song by the artist that isn’t going to be a threat to your team. Now that I got that out of the way, let me go ahead and show you this week’s competitors:

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) vs. Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath)
Jay-Z (99 Problems) vs. Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift)
Replacements (Alex Chilton) vs. Nine Inch Nails (Hurt)
Blur (Coffee and TV) vs. Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues)
Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful) vs. Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen)
Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) vs. Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon)
Kanye West (Through the Wire) vs. Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa)
Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) vs. Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless)
Arcade Fire (Haiti) vs. Eurythmics (Step on the Beast)
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) vs. The Cure (Just Like Heaven)
Wilco (Jesus, Etc) vs. Fela Kuti (Zombie)
Michael Jackson (People Make the World Go ‘Round) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)
Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) vs. New Order (Crystal)
Depeche Mode (Dangerous) vs. Coldplay (The Scientist)
Beck (Lonesome Tears) vs. Steely Dan (My Old School)
Pearl Jam (Black) vs. Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy)

Re: AM World Cup: Week 5 of the Pool Round

Please correct any mistakes I may have. Good luck to all, and may the best 16 advance.

Listyguy

Michael Jackson (People Make the World Go ‘Round) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)

I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE SONG!

Listy, if you'll still allow it I'd like to play "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough". I noticed you didn't post your usual post where you list all the songs and confirm all the selections, which kind of threw me off.

Alex D
I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE SONG!

Listy, if you'll still allow it I'd like to play "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough". I noticed you didn't post your usual post where you list all the songs and confirm all the selections, which kind of threw me off.
I was wondering if you'd forgot. I did post the list of songs for the week, it was on the second page of the thread, which might of confused you. I'll let you switch the song because the MJ song you have now would probably get swept.
I have a feeling that this will be a lesson for participants next year about putting out lists with the artist's worst songs.

Listyguy
New Michael Jackson song isDon't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

For those who haven't realised this already, Depeche Mode's songs are all single B-sides. While the first two songs showed examples of their darker instrumental side that I love a lot and that was quite common on their B-sides during the 80s, "Dangerous", the B-side of "Personal Jesus", is one of the more accessible B-sides that could have been a great addition to the Violator album.

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues)
Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift)
Replacements (Alex Chilton)
Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues)
Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen)
Queen (Stone Cold Crazy)
Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa)
Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless)
Eurythmics (Step on the Beast)
The Cure (Just Like Heaven)
Fela Kuti (Zombie)
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough)
New Order (Crystal)
Depeche Mode (Dangerous)
Steely Dan (My Old School)
Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy)

The Eurythmics video contains two songs, "Step on the Beast" and "The Walk Pt. 2". The song I've chosen to compete is "Step on the Beast", which goes from the beginning of the video until 3:35. Does anybody know how to have a Youtube video stop at a certain time?

Edit: Apparently, there's no way to do this directly from Youtube, but a site called TubeChop has this function. So here's the new clip. I hope it works for everyone.

Eurythmics - Step on the Beast.

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) vs. Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath): 3-0
Jay-Z (99 Problems) vs. Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift): 2-1
Replacements (Alex Chilton) vs. Nine Inch Nails (Hurt): 1-1, Westerberg scores twice in overtime
Blur (Coffee and TV) vs. Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues): 0-4
Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful) vs. Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen) 2-2, 4-5 in penalties
Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) vs. Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon): 1-0
Kanye West (Through the Wire) vs. Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa): 2-2, Koenig scores in overtime
Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) vs. Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless): 1-2
Arcade Fire (Haiti) vs. Eurythmics (Step on the Beast): 1-2
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) vs. The Cure (Just Like Heaven) 3-2
Wilco (Jesus, Etc) vs. Fela Kuti (Zombie): 2-4
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want): 3-1
Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) vs. New Order (Crystal): 1-2
Depeche Mode (Dangerous) vs. Coldplay (The Scientist): 1-2
Beck (Lonesome Tears) vs. Steely Dan (My Old School): 1-1, Fagen scores in overtime.
Pearl Jam (Black) vs. Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy): 2-1

Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath): 4
Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues): 3

I'm not a fan of either track, unfortunately, but I find "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" to be more interesting. I can see the value in both of these songs, but I just don't care for them.

Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift): 10
Jay-Z (99 Problems): 6

I don't expect the Banshees to win here, but I adore "Night Shift" and its horrific portrayal of the Yorkshire Ripper. Siouxsie very adeptly gets into the mind of the ripper, delivering lines like "In darkness, I feeeeel you" and "a new vocation in life, my love with a knife" with a perfect mix of twisted pleasure and soullessness, and the lyrics a mix of subtle ("sometimes I wonder what goes on in your mind always silent and kind") and direct ("A bride by my side, I'm inside many brides", "Fuck the mothers kill the others, fuck the others kill the mothers"), it sees the Banshees at full fang. I pitted it against "99 Problems" because that song also sees Jay-Z at the peak of his huge, defiant powers. For some reason, I never really warmed to his music, although I can appreciate its potency.

The original schedule you posted had the Pearl Jam/Boards of Canada matchup in week six. Why did this change? I was thinking of possibly switching the PJ song before then.

Rocky Raccoon
The original schedule you posted had the Pearl Jam/Boards of Canada matchup in week six. Why did this change? I was thinking of possibly switching the PJ song before then.

there was a brief discussion in the schedules, song lists, etc. thread, initiated by schwah, endorsed by alex d, and officially confirmed by listy.

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) vs. Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) 3-0
Jay-Z (99 Problems) vs. Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift) 3-1
Replacements (Alex Chilton) vs. Nine Inch Nails (Hurt) 1-1 (2-3 in the penalty shoot-out)
Blur (Coffee and TV) vs. Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues) 1-2
Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful) vs. Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen) 2-3
Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) vs. Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon) 1-1 (2-4 in the penalty shoot-out)
Kanye West (Through the Wire) vs. Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa) 2-2 (5-3 in the penalty shoot-out)
Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) vs. Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) 3-1
Arcade Fire (Haiti) vs. Eurythmics (Step on the Beast) 2-1
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) vs. The Cure (Just Like Heaven) 2-3
Wilco (Jesus, Etc) vs. Fela Kuti (Zombie) 3-2
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) 3-2
Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) vs. New Order (Crystal) 2-2 (3-1 in the penalty shoot-out)
Depeche Mode (Dangerous) vs. Coldplay (The Scientist) 1-1 (3-1 in the penalty shoot-out)
Beck (Lonesome Tears) vs. Steely Dan (My Old School) 1-1 (1-2 in the penalty shoot-out)
Pearl Jam (Black) vs. Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy) 1-2

Just so everyone knows, the following "B Pool" teams have a garunteed spot in the next round:
-Kanye West
-Arcade Fire
-Eurythmics
-Otis Redding
-New Order
And the following teams cannot make it to the next round:
-Vampire Weekend
-Sly and the Family Stone (sniffle)
-The Cure

And there are three winner-take-all matches this week, in which the winner advances, and the loser goes home:
-Michael Jackson/LCD Soundsystem
-Wilco/Fela Kuti
-Brian Eno/Beastie Boys

Listy, have Dylan and Costello already clinched advancement? If they have I'm changing their picks, if not I'm keeping them the same.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath + beats Folsom Prison Blues +

I'm not a huge Sabbath fan but this is pretty good. Folsom Prison Blues is a little cheesy.

99 Problems ++ beats Night Shift =

The rest of the song is awesome enough to ignore the misogyny.

Hurt +++ beats Alex Chilton ++

I'm glad these two face each other and not any of my picks.

Tom Traubert's Blues ++ beats Coffee and TV =

Blur is one of those bands whose appeal I just don't understand. Their songwriting is pretty decent but they need more guitar stuff going on, because as it is the instrumental background feels a little empty.

Tom Traubert's Blues is awesome, but I still wish I could play his more experimental stuff and stand a chance.

Mr Pitiful + beats Sweet Little Sixteen +
Stone Cold Crazy + beats Lyrics -

Whatever disposed Queen to abandon this style of music for the melodramatic stuff?

Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa = beats Through The Wire =

Another song where Kanye talks about the superficial aspects of popular politics everybody already knows about, only with an attitude and wordplay that makes it sound like it's all his own ideas.

Mother Whale Eyeless + beats Hey Ladies =

So far we've only seen the more pop-oriented stuff from Here Come The Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain. I'm hoping to see some of his more ambient stuff.

Step On The Beast ++ beats Haiti +
Just Like Heaven +++ beats Everyday People ++
Zombie +++ beats Jesus Etc +++

BillAdama
Listy, have Dylan and Costello already clinched advancement? If they have I'm changing their picks, if not I'm keeping them the same.
Dylan has, Costello hasn't. But, there is some incentive to keep a good Dylan song for next week: whoever loses the Dylan/Gaye match will most likely have to face Stevie Wonder in the week of 32.
Edit: I'm almost done with the standings as of week 4, I will post them later on today.

Yeah, but I don't think David Bowie is that much less scary than Stevie Wonder, though Stevie probably has more 'Unbeatables'. (Though he's already played Higher ground and Superstition.)

I'll try to win the match but I'm not going to waste Subterranean Homesick Blues.

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) vs. Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) Both are great
Jay-Z (99 Problems) vs. Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift) I hate Jay-Z, so this is obvious.
Replacements (Alex Chilton) vs. Nine Inch Nails (Hurt) I wonder if we can get through the week without anybody mentioning Johnny's version.
Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) vs. Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon) It's good to see people like my lesser-known Queen songs from their first three albums. I highly recomend "Sheer Heart Attack" to anyone who's looking to get into Queen or who hasn't heard it yer.
Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) vs. Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) Based on his first three songs to compete, it appears Mr. Eno likes to sing about animal's eyes.
Arcade Fire (Haiti) vs. Eurythmics (Step on the Beast) I currently resent both teams for eliminating my Sly team from contention.
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) vs. The Cure (Just Like Heaven) This is a great matchup. If only it had some purpose.
Wilco (Jesus, Etc) vs. Fela Kuti (Zombie) A great match, I hope it's as close as advertised.
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)
Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) vs. New Order (Crystal) To think these guys were once the Joy Division.
Pearl Jam (Black) vs. Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy) Ten is an amazing album, one of my favorites. Had I managed these guys, I probably would have had at least 5 or 6 songs off that album.

Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath)
Tough draw for Cash...

Jay-Z (99 Problems)
I was intruiged by Siouxsie, but this is Jay-Z's finest moment...

Nine Inch Nails (Hurt)
I hate voting aginast The 'Mats in what is one of there best...

Blur (Coffee and TV)
I tried once again to listen to Tom Waits with an open mind and I just do not get it, the songs sounds like a Billy Joel album filler, plus it is against a great Blur song...

Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen)

Queen (Stone Cold Crazy)
One of Queen's finest moments, I wished they would have had more songs like this in their catalogue...

Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies)

Arcade Fire (Haiti)

Pure pop heaven, this is a song that will remain in my all-time top 10 until I die...

Wilco (Jesus, Etc)

LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)

New Order (Crystal)
Such a contradiction of greatness against...

Coldplay (The Scientist)
Bold move pulling out DM B-sides, it did not translate into the next round. I would have loved to have voted for the brilliant "But Not Tonight" in this matchup!!!

Did Steely Dan get the easiest draw in the pool round???

Pearl Jam (Black)
No contest!!!

Now that I look at it, Costello is at +16 and Aretha Franklin is at -14. Aretha would have to win by 15 goals to win the three way tiebreaker, and I'm not sure we even get that turnout anymore.

For now switch I Want You with Red Shoes.

Revised Dylan list:

3. Tears Of Rage (67 Basement Tapes acetate version)
4. Subterranean Homesick Blues
5. Blind Willie McTell
6. Positively 4th Street
7. Like A Rolling Stone
8. All Along The Watchtower

@Slick

If you're comparing Tom Waits to Billy Joel, you're focusing only on the lyrical melody and not on the instrumental background. That's the key, in the emotional feel created by the blending of Tom Waits' idiosyncratic voice with the genre-influenced background.

Greg
Rocky Raccoon

there was a brief discussion in the schedules, song lists, etc. thread, initiated by schwah, endorsed by alex d, and officially confirmed by listy.

Sorry if the discussion I initiated wound up confusing people. I envisioned a scenario in which having a matchup in Round 6 when the other group matchup was in round 5 would lead to an unfair advantage in song choice strategy. I would feel particularly bad if my Beck team beats out your PJ team because of that. However, given how badly Beck is about to get beat (which I knew would happen) and the strong start Black has had, it looks unlikely.

W - Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) (10) vs.
L - Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) (11.4)

W - Jay-Z (99 Problems)(11.1) vs.
L - Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift) (11.4)

W - Replacements (Alex Chilton) (11.1) vs.
L - Nine Inch Nails (Hurt) (11.4)

W - Blur (Coffee and TV) (11) vs.
L - Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues) (11.7)

L - Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful) (11) vs.
W - Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen)(9)

W - Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) (11.2) vs.
L - Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon) (11.3)

L - Kanye West (Through the Wire) (11.3) vs.
W - Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa) (11)

L - Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies)(11.3) vs.
W - Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) (11.1)

L - Arcade Fire (Haiti)(11.3) vs.
W - Eurythmics (Step on the Beast)(11)

W - Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) (8) vs.
L - The Cure (Just Like Heaven)(8) - by the narrowest of margins

L - Wilco (Jesus, Etc) (11) vs.
W - Fela Kuti (Zombie) (10)

L - Michael Jackson (People Make the World Go ‘Round)(11)
W - LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) (9)

L Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots))(11.3) vs.
W - New Order (Crystal)(10)

L - Depeche Mode (Dangerous) (11.1) vs.
W - Coldplay (The Scientist)(8)

L - Beck (Lonesome Tears) (11) vs.
W - Steely Dan (My Old School)(5)

W - Pearl Jam (Black) (10) vs.
L - Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy) (11)

Part 1:

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) beats Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) - I have been harsh on Black Sabbath often. I think Ozzy is a boring vocalist. I think their sound is plodding. That said, "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" has to be my favorite of theirs. That surprising part where they start into "Nobody will ever let you know..." really works. That said, "Folsom Prison Blues" is a long time fave, and no Sabbath, even at their best, will beat it.

Jay-Z (99 Problems) beats Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift) - Once again, Siouxsie delivers a song that I admire more than love. Jay-Z, on the other had, delivers a song I love more than I admire. It's not the bitch/pussy/ho crap. It's that only 1 of 3 verses are really any good (the middle one about being pulled over by the (at the time) notoriously racist state police of my home state). But g-damn if Rubin doesn't deliver the goods.

Nine Inch Nails (Hurt) beats Replacements (Alex Chilton) - I have slept on "Hurt" for a long time. Loved Cash's version, remember liking the NIN live video of the song. But having just gotten The Downward Spiral, it is truly shattering. Not a fan of the Replacements song. Kinda feel like it deserves the Lloyd Bentsen treatment: "I knew Alex Chilton.... Mr. Westerberg, you are no Alex Chilton."

Blur (Coffee and TV) beats Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues) - Barely. I'm sad to say I didn't know "Tom Traubert's Blues" before now, and it is all that has been advertised. If Coffee and TV was not such an awesome chorus (love the harmonies), I'd have been happy to vote for Waits. But I've been loving "Coffee and TV" a little too long to stop now. And on that note...

Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful) beats Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen) - What I love about Redding is he has the Ray Charles-esque gift of sounding like he's pushing his voice to deliver extreme emotion, yet he retains such exquisite control over his instrument. This was close, cause Sweet Little Sixteen is a barnburner. But Redding number after Redding number leaves me with such joy that a person can make their voice sound like that.

Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon) beats Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) - One of Arctic Monkeys' best. A strong, driving song. "Stone Cold Crazy" never got in the fight for me.

Kanye West (Through the Wire) beats Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa) - I love "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa." That four-song start to Vampire Weekend is great. (Weak point: it flags a bit in the middle.) But it's up against a monster. One of the great statements of intent/introductory singles of all time. Everything we love and hate about Kanye is right their in this recording. He's funny, obnoxious, and entirely self-centered about his car accident. The whole rapping with his jaw wired shut thing is gimicky and show-offy, but the motherf-er pulls it off (not just the rapping, but making the audience enjoy that he's rapping with his jaw wired shut)...which is true of nearly his entire career since then.

Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) beats Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) - Only fair from Eno. "Hey Ladies" is not all that hot lyrically, but the Dust Brothers did awesome with the beat.

Slick

Blur (Coffee and TV)
I tried once again to listen to Tom Waits with an open mind and I just do not get it, the songs sounds like a Billy Joel album filler

WHAAAAAAAAT ? As we say in French, I'd rather hear that than become deaf (just because if I was deaf I wouldn't be able to hear music anymore)

Wow, that change of MJ song is tough, if I had known I would face Don't Stop 'till you get Enough I would have picked one of LCD most loved songs... probably means elimination for James Murphy and his band

Nassim
Wow, that change of MJ song is tough, if I had known I would face Don't Stop 'till you get Enough I would have picked one of LCD most loved songs... probably means elimination for James Murphy and his band

LCD is sure to get my vote.

Moonbeam
Nassim

LCD is sure to get my vote.

Mine too.

But still it looks like both Murphy and Tweedy are at the losing edge.

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) vs. Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) 2-0
The Black Sabbath song is great, but can't do anything against my favorite JC song

Jay-Z (99 Problems) vs. Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift) 0-2
Very good Siouxsie song, melodic and frightening beats a too predictable Jay Z. If it wasn't for Moonbeam's comment, I wouldn't have noticed that it was about the Yorkshire Ripper (a recommended novel on the subject is the Yorkshire quartet by David Peace (1974-1977-1981-1983)

Replacements (Alex Chilton) vs. Nine Inch Nails (Hurt) 1-0
2 songs I'm not familiar with (first listen ever for the original version of "Hurt", only knew the Cash version)

Blur (Coffee and TV) vs. Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues) 0-3
One of my favorite ballads ever beats a decent Blur hit. Maybe the best song of Tom Waits'pre Island era IMO. And nothing to do with Billy Joel (though I like some Billy Joel, but little by little)

Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful) vs. Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen) 2-3
Tough matchup, but Chuck's irresistible guitar r n'r wins in the end.

Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) vs. Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon) 0-1
Poor matchup. I dislike Queen, and the AM song is just decent to my ears.

Kanye West (Through the Wire) vs. Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa) 1-1 DRAW
2 equally good songs

Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) vs. Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) 0-1
Not familiar with either, but the Eno track did sound better to my ears.

Arcade Fire (Haiti) vs. Eurythmics (Step on the Beast) 1-0
One of my least favorite songs of "Funeral" beats a too-80's plastic sounding Eurythmics track

Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) vs. The Cure (Just Like Heaven) 1-2
Good Sly song but "Just Like Heaven" deserves its name. Memory lane for me (Les Enfants du Rock, 1988

Wilco (Jesus, Etc) vs. Fela Kuti (Zombie) 3-3 DRAW
2 excellent songs and so different from each other that I just can't chose.

Michael Jackson (Don't Stop Till You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) 4-2
One of my very favorite Michael tracks wins against a very solid LCD single.

Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) vs. New Order (Crystal) 1-0
Match of the machines : 2 groups that are not in my alley, but 2 songs I really like. A little advantage to Kraftwerk's minimalism.

Depeche Mode (Dangerous) vs. Coldplay (The Scientist) 1-0
The Depeche Mode song sounds a little more original and focused.

Beck (Lonesome Tears) vs. Steely Dan (My Old School) 4-3
One of the best matchups of the week. "Lonesome Tears" is the Beck I love. He proves that he's an excellent "classical" songwriter (like on Mutations, my favorite album of his, but with an even better arrangement). And being a good classical songwriter is at least as difficult as being a good experimental musician in my opinion. I didn't know this excellent (and very unlucky) Steely Dan song.

Pearl Jam (Black) vs. Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy) 2-1
It's been a while since I haven't heard the Pearl Jam song and it is still very good, powerful and generous. The Boards of Canada track was a little more unfamiliar to me but is still a very good picece of ambient music.

I'm happy because when I saw the last 4 matches I was like meh but instead I discovered a lot of great and new music.

nicolas
too-80's plastic sounding Eurythmics track

Plastic? With those weird horns, Annie Lennox scatting and the sort of anti-melody? Or the beast sounds on the 3 of every measure?

Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift)
Blur (Coffee and TV)
no winner
Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon)
no winner
Wilco (Jesus, Etc)
LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)
New Order (Crystal)
no winner
Pearl Jam (Black)

I should have said : sorry moonbeam
Hey, I liked the Siouxsie track , but what repelled me with the Eurythmics song is the too heavy synths. But I like some Eurythmics (like "Sweet Dreams", "There Must Be An Angel", "Here Comes The Rain", etc...)

nicolas
I should have said : sorry moonbeam
Hey, I liked the Siouxsie track , but what repelled me with the Eurythmics song is the too heavy synths. But I like some Eurythmics (like "Sweet Dreams", "There Must Be An Angel", "Here Comes The Rain", etc...)

Gotcha, and no need to apologize! You like what you like. But I feel that a heavy reliance on synthesizers does not necessarily render a song as plastic. I can see that a lot of 80s synthesizer music could be described as plastic, including a lot of stuff I love. But there's a lot of texture in "Step on the Beast" (and really, all Eurythmics synth pop), and they didn't rely on synthesizers to hide a lack of musicianship.

Some googling ...

It's plastic and it's back to the 80's

Plastic age

OK, I admit ... I'm bored

Johnny Cash over Black Sabbath

Two great songs, but I can't vote against Cash's best lyrical performance here.

Blur over Tom Waits

"Coffee and TV" is Blur's best song, and also one of the greatest music videos of all time. Easy win.

Brian Eno over Beastie Boys

"Mother Whale Eyeless" is a great song but the bridge from 1:57-3:02 just takes it to another level. A truly beautiful, inspired progressive pop song.

Sly and the Family Stone over The Cure

Another tough decision. Both songs are in their respective artists' top 5 for me.

Wilco over Fela Kuti

This one hurts. I can't vote against "Jesus, Etc." because it's in my top 100, but "Zombie" is around 150 on my songs list and growing with every listen.

Boards of Canada over Pearl Jam

"Dayvan Cowboy" was one of my best discoveries from the 2005 poll.

Slick

Did Steely Dan get the easiest draw in the pool round???

Interesting perspective.

I noticed that Beck is the 38th highest rated artist while Steely Dan was at 71st. Pearl Jam is at 102nd. Boards of Canada is at 395th.

So, perhaps it is Beck that has the easy draw. If one believes that this bracket is too easy for Steely Dan, that could infer a view that either Beck is relatively overrated or Steely Dan is relatively underrated by the AM Artist Rankings. It does appear that despite their enjoyable songs Boards of Canada may be over-matched in this bracket.

AM ranks can be decieving (excuse my spelling, it's summer). Based on the songs that SD had to face, they might of had a pretty easy draw. New Order got pretty lucky as well, facing Kraftwerk, Coldplay and b-sides only Depeche Mode.

Just to show dominance, here are the teams with the best goal diferences through the first two matches:
-Marvin Gaye- 27 (vs. The Doors and Nirvana)
-U2- 26 (vs. The Clash and James Brown)
-New Order- 21 (vs. Depeche Mode and Coldplay)
-Bob Dylan- 20 (vs. The Doors and Nirvana)
-Bruce Springsteen- 20 (vs. The Smiths and Talking Heads)
-Arcade Fire- 20 (vs. The Cure and Sly and the Family Stone)

It's worth noting all these teams are 2-0, except for the Boss, who lost to the Smiths, and of course, shut out Talking Heads.

This world cup is not an album competition, but it's about songs. So, instead of looking at artists' overall AM rankings, you should look at the rankings based on the songs.

Seen from that perspective, Marvin Gaye being at #4 is one of the favourites to win the tournament! But that also means that Elvis Presley (#3) is a bit disappointing so far.

If Wilco won't survive the group phase, it's no real shame, since they are ranked at #1183. But then again, Fela Kuti is not even listed and doing pretty good ... hhmmmm

Andre
This world cup is not an album competition, but it's about songs. So, instead of looking at artists' overall AM rankings, you should look at the rankings based on the songs.

Good point, but the numbers for the songs ranking of artists still support the assessment I provided earlier regarding the B.4 pool - as far as I can tell.

Beck - 65
Pearl Jam - 162
Steely Dan - 188
Boards of Canada - NR

I think some acts (Marvin Gaye for example) used up their best songs to get through the group stage and will be early eliminations during the knock-out phase. And yes, I'm bitter about having to vote against my own team because they were up against "Heard It Through the Grapevine" in the first match.

Jay-Z (99 Problems) Siouxsie song started out hot but then droned on for four more minutes
Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful)
Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon) I'm actually becoming a bigger Arctic Monkeys fan because of this competition
Tie
Arcade Fire (Haiti) Eurythmics not plastic as much as rubber soul. First time I haven't voted for them, though.
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) One of three Cure songs I actually like — still not enough
Wilco (Jesus, Etc)
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough)
New Order (Crystal)
Coldplay (The Scientist) I'm not sure the B-side strategy was the best way to advance from the group stage.
Steely Dan (My Old School) I had heard the SD track before, but didn't know what it was called. I liked it a hair better than one of the middle-of-the-pack songs from Sea Change.
Pearl Jam (Black)

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) vs. Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) : tie
Siouxsie's song is good but here is one of the most innocuous hip-hop songs of the decade.

After a cover last round, NIN comes back with a song most known for its cover ! Interesting to see what is the only word Cash has changed for his version.
Alex Chilton and Hurt and diametraly opposed in terms of mood, so the choice is rather complicated. I love the Mats rawer though and Alex Chilton can grow tiresome.

I love the raw madness of Stone Cold Crazy, but View from the Afternoon is one of the songs that really made me start drums.

Kanye West (Through the Wire) vs. Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa) : though I like the VW song a lot, most of the other College Dropout songs would have won in my book

Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) vs. Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) : I won't let my B-Boys lose without a fight ! Especially since i don't find the Eno song that great. Get funkyyyy

Wilco (Jesus, Etc) vs. Fela Kuti (Zombie) : tough choice
Michael Jackson (Don't stop till you get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) : I pass here, I honestly like MJ's song more but I would have changed my pick if the change had been made earlier.

Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) vs. New Order (Crystal) : my favorite bracket this week, both songs are fantastic, but Crystal is in my top 100 and The Robots only in my top 300 or so.

Replacements (Alex Chilton): 8
Nine Inch Nails (Hurt): 6

"Alex Chilton" jumped out as a real winner, even if I still am not convinced by Big Star. "Hurt" is a decent song that isn't quite as good as I remembered.

Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues): 8
Blur (Coffee and TV): 7

"Tom Traubert's Blues" is the first Tom Waits song I've heard from before Swordfishtrombones. I was surprised to hear Australia's second anthem "Waltzing Matilda" interpolated into the lyrics, and it stands as a chilling, gorgeous song. "Coffee and TV" felt like a bit of a dud at first, but it picked up enough steam to make me listen again. That said, it falls a little short here.

Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful): 7
Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen): 6

There appears to be a limit to how much I can like early rock and roll song, and this approaches it. It's undoubtedly important and quite good, and Chuck Berry is better at it than anybody, but the point still stands. By contrast, Otis Redding has shattered my previous perceived glass ceiling for 60s soul music, and even if "Mr. Pitiful" isn't my favorite song of his, it's still quite good.

Queen (Stone Cold Crazy): 5
Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon): 5

The heavy metal crunching is more welcome to these ears than Queen's more known songs, and it is enough to edge out an Arctic Monkeys track that left virtually no impression.

Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa): 6
Kanye West (Through the Wire): 3

I'm still not entirely sure about Vampire Weekend, although "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" does have its charm. Meanwhile, Kanye ruins an interesting concept by reducing Chaka Khan's sample to an unforgivably annoying chipmunk, although it is slightly less irritating than the same effect on "Slow Jamz".

Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless): 8
Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies): 7

I'm quite happy to eat up more of Brian Eno's weird pop tracks at the expense of his ambient stuff. "Hey Ladies" is a blast, but it doesn't excite me as much.

Eurythmics (Step on the Beast): 10
Arcade Fire (Haiti): 7

I must say that I am shocked, thrilled and amused that "Step on the Beast" has gotten any votes at all, particularly ahead of a Funeral track. "Step on the Beast" is undoubtedly a singular sound unique to Eurythmics, and I love how it straddles the line of sanity. I love how those synths chirp and squeal that strange melody. I love whatever pedal is being used to make the guitar line sound so staccato. I love the echoed beast noise that roars on the 3 of every measure. I love the interplay of the sassy horns with Annie Lennox's scatting. Unhinged but still accessible, its swinging madness helped to shape my musical journey. "Haiti" is a very good album track from Funeral, and I love when Regine sings, but it is not match for Eurythmics at full fang.

The Cure (Just Like Heaven): 9
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People): 7

A resplendent, evergreen slice of Cure dream pop beats an excellent call for racial acceptance.

Fela Kuti (Zombie): 8
Wilco (Jesus, Etc): 5

After Brian Eno, Fela Kuti has been the discovery of this game for me. I suppose it's only natural that I would have an appreciation for African rhythms given my taste, but I still like this more than I anticipated. Wilco, meanwhile, leaves me puzzled.

LCD Soundsystem (All I Want): 10
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough): 9

I love Michael Jackson a lot. He was a big part of the soundtrack to my youth, and Off the Wall is wonderful. "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" is a blast every time I listen to it. However, it is still no match for the heart-wrenching "All I Want", the highlight of This Is Happening and a wonderful swansong for LCD Soundsystem. Murphy's vocals soar with the track, and the skittering synthesized freak out that closes out the song is just phenomenal. I know it is quite similar to "'Heroes'", but as sacrilegious as it may sound, "All I Want" blows it out of the water for me.

New Order (Crystal): 10
Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)): 9

Another titanic matchup, this. "Crystal" manages to move both my heart and my feet every time I hear it, and it stands as the highlight of the otherwise disappointing Get Ready album. "The Robots" is a blast, but unfortunately, it can't compete.

Depeche Mode (Dangerous): 7
Coldplay (The Scientist): 2

Violator is truly a benchmark album for me, and Depeche Mode could do no wrong in 89-90. "Dangerous" isn't quite up to the standard of the album tracks, but it is still quite good. I've bashed Coldplay enough in these threads, but suffice it to say that "The Scientist" epitomizes just about everything I find distasteful in their music.

Beck (Lonesome Tears): 8
Steely Dan (My Old School): 4

OK, Beck, now I'm paying attention. "Lonesome Tears" is cinematic, moving and gorgeous. What an enigma. Meanwhile, I found "My Old School" to be unremarkable.

Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy): 7
Pearl Jam (Black): 5

Electronic music will just about always beat grunge for me. "Dayvan Cowboy" is a delight and wins fairly easily, although "Black" is one of the best Pearl Jam songs I've heard.

W - Michael Jackson (Don't Stop Til You Get Enough)(7)
L - LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) (9)

Rocky Raccoon
I think some acts (Marvin Gaye for example) used up their best songs to get through the group stage and will be early eliminations during the knock-out phase.

In a very tough group, my aim was to get through the group stage. I succeded so well that now i wish I had held on one or 2 of those greatest hits but it's too late now

BillAdama
For now switch I Want You with Red Shoes.

3. Tears Of Rage (67 Basement Tapes acetate version)
Just to clarify, you want to I Want You for Costello? (You originally had Red Shoes listed.)
Also, this is the correct version of the Dylan song: http://grooveshark.com/#/s/Tears+Of+Rage/31kRB3?src=5

Arcade Fire (Haiti) beats Eurythmics (Step on the Beast) - My least favorite track on Funeral left an opening for the Eurythmics. But I didn't care for this one. I found Lennox's vocals to be uncharacteristically bland, and the background music to be, for lack of a better word, gimicky.

Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) beats The Cure (Just Like Heaven) - 2:22 of California sunshine. A great arrangement from the Cure cannot beat that.

Fela Kuti (Zombie) beats Wilco (Jesus, Etc) - Zombie takes a little too long to get going. But once it does, Fela's charisma is strong. I remain mystified at the level of esteem Wilco is held in. I like Yankee Foxtrot Hotel well enough, and despite the fact that I don't think it is nearly the best track on the album, I like "Jesus, Etc." somewhat also. But it, like just about everything I have heard from Wilco, doesn't move me all that much.

Michael Jackson (Don't Stop Til You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) - MJ's track is very fine disco. Layered instrumental tracks play well against each other with a nice forward drive. But James Murphy does something a little more special. The sound is simultaneously evocative of past musical trends yet forward thinking. The layers play well against each other, just like in MJ's track, but they build on each other. The track doesn't move forward... it moves higher and higher. And then it starts doing fancy curly-cue tricks in mid-air.

New Order (Crystal) beats Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) - While I much prefer earlier New Order, at least there is some warmth to their music. Kraftwerk's operating system needs an upgrade; it's lacking certain essential features.

Coldplay (The Scientist) beats Depeche Mode (Dangerous) - It's not Coldplay at its best, and there's a lot wrong with it, but "The Scientist" has more things right with it than the Depeche Mode track (mainly the build and the pretty, cycling melody).

Beck (Lonesome Tears) beats Steely Dan (My Old School) - So as my team Beck looks like it's in danger of leaving, I thought I should explain my pick. Last week I misjudged how much widespread appeal there would be for my favorite song of his, "Hotwax." I was set to blow this week out with a major Beck hit and try and grab a win. And then I saw I was up against the sterling "My Old School" (well within my top-100 of all time). I figured, I'm not likely to win this week, but I still had the goal differential advantage over PJ if it lost to BOC. So I needed to not lose too badly. But to guarantee at least my own vote against "My Old School," I once again had to pick a personal fave over one of Beck's best known songs.

In addition, I didn't want to leave the tourney without showcasing the more sincere side of Beck. To me, "Lonesome Tears" is unimpeachable. As Nigel Godrich noted, Beck's voice was particularly rich and resonant during on Sea Change. That orchestration, courtesy of Beck's father, is monumental. The song deeply moves me. That overcomes the very fun track from Steely Dan, with evocative lyrics and sprightly harmonies.

Pearl Jam (Black) beats Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy) - BOC has been a find of the tourney for me. "Dayvan Cowboy" is good, delivering more chill moments than Massive Attack allegedly does. But, despoite the harm this vote may do to Beck, I have to give the slight edge to "Black." Vedder tempers some of his vocal sins in this song. Even at the end he does not sound as annoying as he does elsewhere on this album. Partly that is because of the wonderfully prominent placement of the piano and rhythm section in the mix.

Alas Kraftwerk seem to be going down...

You guys aren't funky enough!

Zorg
Alas Kraftwerk seem to be going down...

You guys aren't funky enough!

I voted for them twice. They had a brutal group, as Depeche Mode and New Order are both in my top 15 artists.

You're right of course. It seems that while successfully avoiding what might be called "big guns" (like Arcade Fire for example), they seem to have been unlucky enough to fall into a group of heavyweights of the synth-based 80s, which of course they are themselves. How coincidental! I guess it kinda took away Kraftwerk's nichey uniqueness.

Oh and Coldplay.

Zorg
You're right of course. It seems that while successfully avoiding what might be called "big guns" (like Arcade Fire for example), they seem to have been unlucky enough to fall into a group of heavyweights of the synth-based 80s, which of course they are themselves. How coincidental! I guess it kinda took away Kraftwerk's nichey uniqueness.

Oh and Coldplay.

I'll be gutted if Coldplay advances at the expense of one of those 3 greats!

Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)

Moonbeam
Zorg

Oh and Coldplay.

I'll be gutted if Coldplay advances at the expense of one of those 3 greats!

Hey, no psychological game against my team! And you're forgetting that Kraftwerk has a better goal balance, so even if Colplay wins, Kraftwerk much likely will pass.

About what you're talking, I also feel much repent for having avoided big guns for all my teams, what is leading to a high risk of my 3 artists getting out of the game in this pool round, including my strongest one, R.E.M.

I'll try to finish my votes later today. I missed the last few last week.

Out of curiosity Listy, has the Aretha Franklin song changed or is it still the same?

The only way I would change my Costello song anymore is if Aretha played Respect.

BillAdama

Out of curiosity Listy, has the Aretha Franklin song changed or is it still the same?

The only way I would change my Costello song anymore is if Aretha played Respect.
Alex D usually changs his songs, so I wouldn't be surprised. I commented on your Dylan and Costello songs earlier in this thread, could you confirm those songs are correct?

Johnny Cash (Folsom Prison Blues) vs. Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) - one of the strongest matchups of the cup
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) vs. The Cure (Just Like Heaven) - another cruelly good matchup
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop...) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)
Depeche Mode (Dangerous) vs. Coldplay (The Scientist) - Fortunately it wasn't "Clocks" because then I would have to vote for that

Jay-Z (99 Problems)
Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful)
Queen (Stone Cold Crazy)
Kanye West (Through the Wire)
Arcade Fire (Haiti)
Wilco (Jesus, Etc)
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop Till You Get Enough)
New Order (Crystal)
Coldplay (The Scientist)
Beck (Lonesome Tears)
Pearl Jam (Black)

Listyguy
BillAdama

Alex D usually changs his songs, so I wouldn't be surprised. I commented on your Dylan and Costello songs earlier in this thread, could you confirm those songs are correct?

Keep it as I Want You, only if the Aretha song changes to Respect, change it back to Red Shoes.

That version is pretty close to the version I'm listening to. The annoying thing about the Basement Tapes is that the Robbie Robertson revisionist versions from the 1975 release make it impossible to find the superior versions on the bootleg version I have.

So instead, replace it with This Wheel's On Fire:

http://grooveshark.com/#/s/This+Wheel+s+On+Fire/1VyICR?src=5

That's one of the songs on the Basement Tapes where the commercial release is the same as the version I have.

Black sabbath
Replacements
Otis redding
Queen
The cure
Fela kuti
LCD soundsystem

I'm voting for the songs attached to these artists (sorry...limited time, on vacation)

I quite like the Sabbath tune but "Folsom Prison Blues" is the kind of song it's hard to imagine ever not existing. It's just timeless.

Really dig Siouxsie, but I love Jay-Hova.

I like NIN's "Hurt" to Cash's but neither version can match the propulsive and catchy "Alex Chilton".

I adore both of these songs, but for me the "Through the Fire" sample is just irresistible.

One of the better tracks on Taking Tiger Mountain loses to a Beasties classic.

Eurythmics are too plastic here.

"Everyday People" is a song I respect more than I enjoy, so I'm going with "Just Like Heaven" even if it's not as immediately catchy.

I honestly can't choose a winner, both of these songs are great, and I don't want to influence the other math in my group.

Michael Jackson (Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want)

I thought there would be more love for "All I Want", given the love it got when This Is Happening first came out. Perhaps I overestimated its reputation. Either way, for me LCD Soundsystem is a very good band that occasionally veers into over-pretentiousness, and that is what I think happened here.

I can appreciate "Dangerous" but I also feel that "The Scientist" has some of Coldplay's strongest songwriting.

"Davyan Cowboy" was a sublime new discovery, but few songs could top "Black", which has been a favorite of mine for a long time.

Don't Stop Till You Get Enough ++ beats All I Want ++

Closest match of week: Both awesome

Crystal ++ beats Die Roboter +
Scientist + beats Dangerous +
Lonesome Tears ++ beats My Old School +
Black ++ beats Dayvan Cowboy +

Replacements (Alex Chilton) vs. Nine Inch Nails (Hurt) -
Blur (Coffee and TV) vs. Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues) - Wow, this Waits' song is brilliant! Many Blur tracks would lose against it. But Coffee and TV, the song that introduced me to Blur, is strong enough to win here. I don't know if my Coldplay team will classify, but it's already painfull to know that if they make it, I'll have to fight against my all time favorite artist!
Kanye West (Through the Wire) vs. Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa) - Well, at least VW leave the tournament showing one of their best and most interesting pieces. Maybe the song that defines their style, with those jangly African guitars, well crafted arrangement, polished production (in the good sense of the word) and Koenig's inspired vocals.
Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) vs. Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) - One of Paul's Boutique best. Eno's song begins bad, but goes constantly gaining force until almost cracking a tie at it's second half.
Arcade Fire (Haiti) vs. Eurythmics (Step on the Beast) - Haiti is the only bad song out of the 3 Arcade Fire albums, and probably the only one that would lose against a track from an artist belonging to a genre that I almost ignore.
Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) vs. The Cure (Just Like Heaven) - Like with Familly Affair, I don't get the appealing of Everyday People, but it would have to be a very bad track to lose to any Cure song.
Wilco (Jesus, Etc) vs. Fela Kuti (Zombie) - Almost a tie, both great songs!
Michael Jackson (Don't Stop Till You Get Enough) vs. LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) - I love the synths on this Michael's classic. On the other hand, All I Want is one of LCD's most overrated tracks.
Depeche Mode (Dangerous) vs. Coldplay (The Scientist) - I really hope Coldplay doesn't get eliminated because of my screwing up with their lineup (losing the deadline to changing my pick for the first match), but anyway, it's already been gratifying and suprising to see a considerable love for their songs here. The Scientist almost tangents the line that separates a touching from a cheesy song, but it ends as one of the groups best compositions.

Voting for the week has expired. Results in a flash, standings sometime after that.

As promised, the results:
Johnny Cash (Folsom) def Black Sabbath (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath) 13-5
And so the Man in Black finishes the pool stage without a loss. Sabbs, however, finished 1-2 and will not advance because of their goal difference.
Jay-Z (99 Problems) def Siouxsie and the Banshees (Night Shift) 13-5
A so Jay-Z gets a win in his final pool game, and he makes it count. It improves his goal difference enough to push him through to the next round. Siouxsie, however, is gone.
Replacements (Alex Chilton) def Nine Inch Nails (Hurt) 12-7
Both teams put up a good fight, but the Replacements pulled away near the end. Either way, neither will advance, due to the tie between Waits and Blur.
Blur (Coffee and TV) draws Tom Waits (Tom Traubert's Blues) 9-9
In one of the week’s best matches, Blur and Tom Waits battle to a stalemate. Both will advance to the elimination round.
Chuck Berry (Sweet Little Sixteen) def Otis Redding (Mr. Pitiful) 10-6
And so Chuck finally breaks down the undefeated Otis Redding. Unfortunately, his efforts weren’t enough, as Queen’s victory sends Chuck packing. Otis had clinched before the week started.
Queen (Stone Cold Crazy) def Arctic Monkeys (View From the Afternoon) 10-8
Queen jumped out to an early lead (6-1, I believe), but the Monkeys came all the way back to tie it. But, Mercury and Co. got some late goals to advance them.
Vampire Weekend (Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa) def Kanye West (Through the Wire) 11-5
Tough break for VW. They had already been eliminated, and Kanye had already clinched. At least VW can exit on a high note.
Beastie Boys (Hey Ladies) draws Brian Eno (Mother Whale Eyeless) 9-9
And so the week’s second tie was in a winner-take-all. With the draw, Eno advances because of goal difference.
Arcade Fire (Haiti) def Eurythmics (Step on the Beast) 9-8
In a matchup with both teams already in the next round, Arcade fire win by a goal over the surprise Eurythmics, who didn’t even use “Sweet Dreams”.
The Cure (Just Like Heaven) def Sly and the Family Stone (Everyday People) 12-8
And so Team Sly goes out without a win.
Wilco (Jesus, Etc) def Fela Kuti (Zombie) 10-8
In another thrilling, winner-take-all watchup, Wilco edges by Fela Kuti to advance. I’m sorry both could not advance.
Michael Jackson (Don’t Stop ‘Till You Get Enough) LCD Soundsystem (All I Want) 14-4
In another winner-take-all, MJ serves LCD Soundsystem.
New Order (Crystal) def Kraftwerk (Die Roboter (The Robots)) 14-3
In the week’s biggest blowout, New Order goes 3-0 in the pool round and totally wrecks Kraftwerk. New Order destroyed Kraftwerk so badly their goal difference slipped low enough to allow Coldplay to advance instead of them.
Coldplay (The Scientist) def Depeche Mode (Dangerous) 11-6
As mentioned above, New Order’s destruction of Kraftwerk allows for Coldplay to advance. The all b-side
Steely Dan (My Old School) def Beck (Lonesome Tears) 9-7
And so Dan finishes pool contention without a loss, and Beck will be sent home. Who woulda though?
Pearl Jam (Black) def Boards of Canada (Dayvan Cowboy) 14-4
Pearl Jam concludes week 5 in style, craftily winning and advancing to single elimination round.

Listyguy

Arcade Fire (Haiti) def Eurythmics (Step on the Beast) 9-8

So close! I'm amazed by how well "Step on the Beast" did. I'm thrilled that I got a chance to share one of my obscure cult favorites with the forum. Long live this game!

All this dislike of Kraftwerk...

Henrik
All this dislike of Kraftwerk...

Indeed. It is discouraging. Comments that "Step on the Beast" was "plastic" took me by surprise as well. There still is an element of anti-synth bias, it seems.

Final Standings for "B" Pools

Here are the final standings.Teams in bold will advance. Teams crossed out have been eliminated.

Pool B.1
TeamRecord (W-L-DPointsGoal DifGoals Scored
Michael Jackson2-1-06632
Wilco2-1-06530
Fela Kuti1-2-03030
LCD Soundsystem1-2-03-1123

Pool B.2
Kanye West2-1-06932
Brian Eno1-1-14-226
Beastie Boys1-1-14-924
Vampire Weekend1-2-03221

Pool B.3
Johnny Cash3-0-092541
Jay-Z1-2-03-428
Black Sabbath1-2-03-725
Souixsie and the Banshees1-2-03-1419

Pool B.4
Steely Dan3-0-091329
Pearl Jam2-1-06730
Beck1-2-03126
Boards of Canada0-3-00-2113

Pool B.5
Arcade Fire3-0-092141
Eurythmics2-1-06327
The Cure1-2-03-1221
Sly and the Family Stone0-3-00-1224

Pool B.6
Otis Redding2-1-06831
Queen2-1-06029
Chuck Berry1-1-14026
Arctic Monkeys0-2-11-822

Pool B.7
Blur2-0-171536
Tom Waits1-1-14026
Replacements1-2-03-526
Nine Inch Nails1-2-03-1022
Pool B.8
New Order3-0-093241
Coldplay1-1-14-226
Kraftwerk1-1-14-622
Depeche Mode0-3-00-2411

Re: Final Standings for "B" Pools

Listyguy, I see that you still have difficulties with getting the tables displayed in a proper way.

Rocky Raccoon's tables are generated in an easy, kind of automated way. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you as well.

Re: Final Standings for "B" Pools

Andre
Listyguy, I see that you still have difficulties with getting the tables displayed in a proper way.

Rocky Raccoon's tables are generated in an easy, kind of automated way. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you as well.
Thanks for th eoffer, but this will be the last week I need to tables.