Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help me find a song

I'm trying to come up with a list of my least favorite songs (silly me), and I recall being particularly scarred by a video I saw some 3 years ago, but I didn't catch the title.

It was by a kind of 90s alterna-chick. I think it was in black-and-white and kind of underground, as it was played on the Australian show Rage and I had never heard this artist before. She reminded me a bit of Ani DiFranco. It was kind of uptempo indie-folk and the voice was irritating to no end.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Re: Help me find a song

Was she a then-current artist sounding like a 90's DiFranco wannabe? Or was this a video actually from the 90's?

Tracy Bonham? Her song was Mother, Mother and I'm pretty sure that video was in black and white.

That was the heart of the mainstream-alterna-pop rage and Lillith Fair. That could be any of 20/30 different artists from that era!!!

Schwah
Was she a then-current artist sounding like a 90's DiFranco wannabe? Or was this a video actually from the 90's?

It was from the 90s, I believe.

John
Tracy Bonham? Her song was Mother, Mother and I'm pretty sure that video was in black and white.

It wasn't that, but listening to it, it's close to the right ballpark:

Annoying voice? Check!
90s alterna-chick? Check!

The song was a bit folkier than this, though.

Moonbeam
John

Annoying voice? Check!

"Mother, Mother" is awesome... I won't stand for any of you disrespecting that song or Tracy Bonham. (I like the entire Burden of Being Upright album.)

...Although that's the first song I thought of when Moonbeam posted this also.

There were two videos for "Mother Mother." One, shot for VH1 with Bonham playfully frolicking with her band. The second, cooler video had Bonham's actual mother cleaning her house (in color), while a close up of Bonham's face (in black-in-white) sang the song on the TV and the band thrashed in the dining room.

Moonbeam
John

Annoying voice? Check!

Why does Jill Sobule's "I Kissed A Girl" come to mind!!!

This would be a fun game. One person is as vague as possible in describing a song and the rest of us have to try to guess the song.

Slick
Moonbeam
John

Annoying voice? Check!

Why does Jill Sobule's "I Kissed A Girl" come to mind!!!

That's another song I dislike, but it isn't it. It has a much lower profile. I think she could have been Australian.

The RYM board helped me find it! Behold the horror that is Diana Anaid.

What's even worse is that this video appears to be uploaded by Diana Anaid herself from the video description, and she included "Ani" and "DiFranco" as tags. Awful AND shameless.

Moonbeam, I don't always agree with you when it comes to music, but that was easily one of the worst songs that I have ever heard.

Nick
Moonbeam, I don't always agree with you when it comes to music, but that was easily one of the worst songs that I have ever heard.

I'm sorry to pass on the horror. It truly is memorably bad.

Moonbeam
Nick

It's got a 58-0 record on youtube though. WTF

No wonder no one's heard of her here - she's Australian with little overseas success it appears...

Midaso
Moonbeam
Nick

It's got a 58-0 record on youtube though. WTF

No wonder no one's heard of her here - she's Australian with little overseas success it appears...

So you found it horrible as well? I think if another poll of the worst songs ever comes around, this may have a chance!

Yeah,I thought it was terrible but it looks as if there were plenty of people who didn't share this view. On wikipedia:

Diana mastered the CD at Sony in Sydney, got 500 CD’s made and immediately sent a few copies to Triple J (not for the Unearthed competition) and Richard Kingsmill, the then Australian Music Show DJ, gave the track ‘I Go Off’ (track #1 on debut album) a spin, which resulted in an immediate call in from listeners of over 100 a day, setting a record at the time and resulting in him playing it a lot! This resulted it taking off around the country on Triple J.

Triple J ‘got sick of requests from listeners for details on how to buy ‘I Go Off’ and gave Diana’s home number out on the air.

Midaso
Yeah,I thought it was terrible but it looks as if there were plenty of people who didn't share this view. On wikipedia:

Diana mastered the CD at Sony in Sydney, got 500 CD’s made and immediately sent a few copies to Triple J (not for the Unearthed competition) and Richard Kingsmill, the then Australian Music Show DJ, gave the track ‘I Go Off’ (track #1 on debut album) a spin, which resulted in an immediate call in from listeners of over 100 a day, setting a record at the time and resulting in him playing it a lot! This resulted it taking off around the country on Triple J.

Triple J ‘got sick of requests from listeners for details on how to buy ‘I Go Off’ and gave Diana’s home number out on the air.

I don't know what the worst aspect of this whole thread is - the song, the fact that it got such a welcome response from Triple J (it's not that bad of a station - one of only 2 that I tolerate here in Sydney), or the fact that she runs her own Youtube channel and tags Ani DiFranco for her own video.