Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Popular songs in South Africa

Following Romain and Henrik, why not start a thread on popular music of South Africa?

I think I'll approach this by covering one genre at a time. Kwaito music seems a good place to start. Kwaito is the most popular music genre in South Africa and it has been the definitive sound of township music since the early 1990s.

A song called Nkalakatha by Mandoza is probably the most popular of the genre. From a "critical" perspective, the beats are very catchy and the song cleverly combines house music with African beats and samples, but it probably goes on a bit too long and it could be argued that there's not enough variety to keep the listener engaged throughout. But hey, we're talking popular here, not acclaimed.

So here's Nkalakatha by Mandoza:

Re: Popular songs in South Africa

To Romain, Henrik, Dan M, and everyone else with an interest in music from non-Anglophone parts of the globe: I really hope you contribute when the AMWT comes around to your part of the world!

I'll definitely explore these when I have time. The only South African band I know of is BLK JKS.

What part of SA are you from, Dan? My wife is from there.

Moonbeam
What part of SA are you from, Dan? My wife is from there.

Originally from a town called Virginia right in the middle of the country. I also lived in Cape Town for a few years before moving to the UK. Where's your wife from?

The next song is from a genre called Zulu iscathamiya, a destinctive male a cappella choral style. It's the most popular of South Africa's many neo-traditional musical genres and it was made famous by Ladysmith Black Mambazo. I saw them live in concert and they sent shivers down my spine. Here they are with a song called Iningi Liyabou Ububende.

Nice picks, Dan! I hadn't heard either one, but I'm down with Miriam Makeba thanks to my wife! She grew up in Johannesburg.

Moonbeam
I'm down with Miriam Makeba thanks to my wife!

I'm saving the most popular (and arguably the best) for last. Another woman nearly as popular as Miriam Makeba was Brenda Fassie. She was particularly big in the 80s, when she was known as South Africa's queen of pop and mixed Western pop with African vocals and rhythms.

Here she is with her hit Vulindlela. (Sorry about the poor sound quality - I couldn't find a better video.)

In light of recent events, Die Antwoord must be mentioned. A fusion of hip-hop, Afrikaans, African rhythms, and explicit lyrics, the most recognisable face of the band was one of the oldest sufferers of progenia to have survived, Leon Botha, who died recently, aged 26.

I couldn't do a thread on popular music in South Africa without mentioning the reggae of Lucky Dube. He is one of South Africa's best selling artists and in the 80s he was also an influential social commentator who used his music to speak out against Apartheid. As AllMusic points out, his songs and albums "were met by strong opposition by the then-all-white South African government and his first reggae album, "Rasta Never Die" was banned from radio airplay." But that couldn't stop his music from getting more and more popular. Here he is with Different Colours

hectorthebat
In light of recent events, Die Antwoord must be mentioned. A fusion of hip-hop, Afrikaans, African rhythms, and explicit lyrics, the most recognisable face of the band was one of the oldest sufferers of progenia to have survived, Leon Botha, who died recently, aged 26.

Although Leon Botha wasn't part of the group, he certainly was the most recognisable face of the band because of his appearce on the video for the song Enter the Ninja, which became an internet sensation. The song is undeniably Die Antwoord's most popular, and it even made it through to the final round of our own AMF songs poll last year. I'm still not sure what to make of the song myself. But Pitchfork had a point when they wrote that "both the song and the clip are pure cheese, but delivered with the utmost commitment... It's a novelty, but a great one, and rarer than that: a gag that wills itself real."

Goldfish is a popular (and good) electronic group. Their sound has been compared to St Germain, Fatboy Slim and Basement Jaxx. They often throw jazz and African music into the mix along with samplers, effects and synths. Here they are with Fort Knox.

My favourite voice of all the South African singers belongs to Vusi Mahlasela (he is known locally as "The Voice"). Initially he was more popular abroad than in South Africa after performances in Europe in the early 90s, but by now he's a much-loved singer/songwriter in his home country too. Here's Say Africa.

Choral gospel music is immensely popular in South Africa, with regular competitions involving amazingly attired choirs - some of them over one hundred strong - being broadcast on local television every Sunday. It's a style of gospel that has been loosened up, with rhythm and dance routines added (and of course incredible singing). The Soweto Gospel Choir are the most popular of the genre. Here they are with Woza Meli Wami.

BillAdama
The only South African band I know of is BLK JKS.

BLK JKS is the most exciting of the South African rock bands IMO. But sadly their brand of experimental rock seems to be too progressive for the masses as they haven't had the exposure they deserve. Here they are with Lakeside.

Most of the local indie, rock and Afrikaans music you hear on commercial radio are a bit generic and unoriginal (again, that's just my own opinion). But here are a few songs by popular bands:

Van Coke Kartel - Voor Ons Stof Word

Parlotones - Push Me to the Floor

Springbok Nude Girls - Blue Eyes

This will be my last post on South African music. My intention was just to make AMers aware of some of the country's most popular genres and performers. I hope you have found something in this thread that you liked.

A final genre to mention before moving on to Miriam Makeba is African jazz. Jazz has been widely popular in South Africa for many dacades, and if you like African jazz then check out artists like Abdullah Ibrahim, Elite Swingsters, Hugh Masekela, Jonas Gwanga, and Jazz Ministers. The most famous instrumental jazz song is probably Grazing in the Grass by Hugh Masekela:

Miriam Makeba's contribution to vocal African jazz has been significant. Here are two of her most popular jazz songs, Inkomo Zodwa and Qongqotwane(The Click Song)

Besides jazz, Makeba also performed folk, Afropop, Latin and soul (to name a few). She had a hugely successful career and is to this day probably the name most people associate with South African music. As AllMusic puts it:

"Makeba remains the most important female vocalist to emerge out of South Africa. Hailed as the Empress of African Song and Mama Africa, Makeba helped bring African music to a global audience in the '60s. Nearly five decades after her debut with the Manhattan Brothers, she continues to play an important role in the growth of African music."

Here she is one last time with Pata Pata.

Dan M
I hope you have found something in this thread that you liked.

Of course, Dan M, in fact it's the opposite, I liked almost everything you posted. Excellent thread.

Thanks Honorio. If ever you want to visit South Africa and you need a playlist, you know who to ask. :)