The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Forum Poll: The Best Albums and Songs of 2004

I'd like, in principle, to be able to do a huge amount of listening to these polls, but I'm already doing a huge amount of 2011 listening, not to mention listening and film watching for other games, so I'm not going to make extra effort for this game to hear albums that have no chance of qualifying anyway.

Now, if we did a followup poll that excluded albums that qualified for the finals in this one, that'd be a different story.

Henrik
Henrik
Moonbeam
Petri
I thought Anniemal was for sure in finals but then something happened.

It's because Anniemal is for people who don't take music seriously and work on their lists during the month.
Don't take me too seriously though!

I don't understand either comment!

Petri

11. TV on the Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
13. Madvillain - Madvillainy
19. The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

11. Elliot Smith - King's Crossing

OK, Elliott Smith getting his album in is definitely pretty cool. But my number 2 album and number 1 song both coming in at number 11 is just cruel. I at least thought Madvillainy would have made it for sure. Since U Been Gone being left out is definitely a victory though; if that had made it Pitchfork's EOD rating would have been completely responsible.

I've found that in most cases, if I don't really enjoy something critically acclaimed, I can at least see where the critic is coming from and respect the work.

The most notable exception to this is "Since U Been Gone", which is quite possibly one of the worst songs I have ever heard. Poorly done commercial pop rock at its worst.

well I was part of the reason for that and proud of it putting Modest Mouse as my #1 and the deservingly outranking TVOTR who I still think is ranked far too high.

Petri

18 . Joanna Newsom - The Milk Eyed Mender - 183 - 9 -

It was my #1, it could've made a nice jump if i had participated this last round

I have no right to complain because I, uh, forgot to vote, but that mediocre Wilco album and that awful Modest Mouse album over Madvillainy is pretty lame. I thought Madvillainy was self-evidently great. it may take a few listens for one to realize just how freaking brilliant it is, but it's there. I guess it isn't.

Good thing Morrissey made it! Just kidding. Indie vagina domination will make a very boringg final poll.

1 2