Bruce Springsteen vs. Elvis Costello
Ramones vs. The Clash
U2 vs. Public Enemy
The Smiths vs. R.E.M
Madonna vs. Pixies
The Beastie Boys vs. Nirvana

Re: UMT2: Round of 32 / #2

Prince -
The Cure - Gut instinct is telling me they are going to lose this matchup, last year it killed me to see my favorite band get knocked out by VU which made me hate them more, this year if it is MJ...
Bruce - 2nd painstakingly agonizing choices today, I am having a hard time with the fact I voted against Talking Heads and Elvis (Costello that is).
The Clash - The only band that matters, I am looking forward to a Clash/Prince matchup to go to the final 4, that is if they get past The Boss which should be good...
U2 - Another potential great matchup U2/R.E.M.
The Smiths - Another one of my favorites I am expecting to lose, difference is, I can handle seeing R.E.M. knock them out...
Pixies -
Beastie Boys -

Prince
Michael Jackson
Bruce Springsteen
The Clash
U2
The Smiths
Pixies
Nirvana

Bruce Springsteen
R.E.M.
The Beastie Boys
U2
Prince
The Smiths
Madonna
Nirvana
Pixies
Michael Jackson
Public Enemy
Elvis Costello
The Clash
Talking Heads
The Cure
Ramones

Prince
The Cure
Elvis Costello
The Clash
U2
R.E.M
Pixies
The Beastie Boys

Prince Always the best.
Michael Jackson Not easy...not easy
Elvis Costello
The Clash
U2
R.E.M
Pixies
Nirvana

Except between The Cure and Jackson, all the choices are easy.

Prince
The Cure
Bruce Springsteen
The Clash
U2
The Smiths
Pixies
Nirvana

Lots of very close calls in this one.

Prince
Michael Jackson
Elvis Costello
Ramones
Public Enemy
R.E.M.
Madonna
Beastie Boys

Prince
Public Enemy
Elvis Costello
Madonna
Bruce Springsteen
The Beastie Boys
Pixies
R.E.M.
Michael Jackson
The Smiths
The Cure
Nirvana
Ramones
Talking Heads
The Clash
U2

Talking Heads
Cure
Elvis Costello
Clash
Public Enemy
Smiths
Pixies
Nirvana

Prince (not a big fan of either Prince or Talking Heads)
Michael Jackson
Bruce Springsteen
The Clash
U2
The Smiths (tough call for me)
Madonna
Nirvana

1. Bruce Springsteen
2. R.E.M
3. U2
4. Prince
5. Michael Jackson
6. Elvis Costello
7. The Smiths
8. Pixies
9. The Clash
10. Talking Heads
11. Public Enemy
12. The Cure
13. Ramones
14. The Beastie Boys
15. Madonna
16. Nirvana

Talking Heads
The Cure
Elvis Costello
The Clash
Public Enemy
R.E.M
Pixies
Nirvana

Thanks!

Bruce Springsteen
The Smiths
U2
Prince
R.E.M.
Clash
Talking Heads
Elvis Costello
Pixies
Madonna
Michael Jackson
Nirvana
Ramones
Public Enemy
Beastie Boys
The Cure

Prince
The Cure
Elvis Costello
The Clash
Public Enemy
R.E.M
Pixies
Nirvana

Prince - Tough call. Talking Heads have been rising in my estimation lately.
The Cure - Not particulalry happy having to vote for either of them, particularly at this late stage.
Bruce Springsteen
Ramones - Bit of a coin toss for me. Figured I'd go with the artist likely to lose.
U2
R.E.M
Pixies
The Beastie Boys

Prince (He's one of my favorites to win)
Michael Jackson (This is my least favorite matchup of the day)
Bruce Springsteen (Elvis C. had a good run)
The Clash (The Ramones are fun, but kinda bubblegum punk. The Clash are massive)
U2 (Tough call, but U2 has lasted longer)
R.E.M (If the Smiths had stayed together longer they would have been a challenge ... Nah.)
Pixies (I can finally vote against Madonna)
Nirvana (I've always liked the Beastie Boys, but also always thought they were a little overrated)

The Cure
Prince
U2
Bruce Springsteen
The Smiths
The Beastie Boys
Madonna
Pixies
Talking Heads
Michael Jackson
R.E.M
Elvis Costello
Nirvana
Public Enemy
The Clash
Ramones

Lucky draw for The Clash. Well, that's my opinion.

TALKING HEADS. Tough call…let me put it in terms of my favorite albums by both acts: Remain in Light > Purple Rain > Fear of Music > 1999. And the Heads were just a bit more consistent over the productive part of their career.

MICHAEL JACKSON. Kind of a meh matchup for me. Off the Wall > Thriller > Disintegration.

ELVIS COSTELLO. EC is the better songwriter and the more interesting artist. And he’s doomed, I fear. Bruce is already ahead in AM 10-6 (now 10-7), and, based on their voting patterns, I picture the email voters as townies smoking weed next to the dumpster behind a Sunoco station in Wilmington, Delaware (I say this, of course, with all due respect). In other words, Bruce people.

THE CLASH. In my book, the Clash are still responsible for The Finest Album Ever. I love the Ramones, but really, their best argument here is that the Clash wouldn’t have existed without them. Which is not much of an argument if you think about it.

PUBLIC ENEMY. This one’s for Mr. Scott-Heron. (Yes, I would have voted for them anyway.)

R.E.M. I knew the Smiths were probably going to be the first artist who would make The Finest American Band sweat. Sure enough, it’s 9-7 on AM so far (now 10-7), and I have no clue how the emailers will break (my guess is they’ll help me out here). I happily concede that the Smiths are a very worthy opponent…as I said last week, one of the two best British bands of the 80s (alongside New Order).

PIXIES. I smell blowout.

BEASTIE BOYS. I hardly ever pick bands just because I’d like to see them have a fighting chance, but I guess I’m doing so here. It’s another nearly impossible choice, which frankly it should be at this stage of the game.

R.E.M.
The Clash
Pixies
Talking Heads
Elvis Costello

Prince
Beastie Boys
Public Enemy

Nirvana
Ramones
The Smiths
U2
Michael Jackson
The Cure
Bruce Springsteen
Madonna

Talking Heads
Michael Jackson
Elvis Costello
Ramones
Public Enemy
R.E.M
Pixies
Nirvana

Prince
The Cure
Bruce Springsteen
The Clash
U2
The Smiths
Madonna
Nirvana

Prince
MJ
Boss
Clash
U2
REM
Pixies
Nirvana
As you can see, I am not a Taliban (But some people here are)

I like what the Beastie Boys have done since they migrated out of their 'I HATE YOU MOM' phase.

BillAdama
I like what the Beastie Boys have done since they migrated out of their 'I HATE YOU MOM' phase.

Paul's Boutique makes up for whatever phase they might have been in before or after.

Edit: Reading my own comment again, it sounds a bit wanky. I only meant to say that I really, REALLY like Paul's Boutique.

schleuse

ELVIS COSTELLO. EC is the better songwriter and the more interesting artist. And he’s doomed, I fear. Bruce is already ahead in AM 10-6 (now 10-7), and, based on their voting patterns, I picture the email voters as townies smoking weed next to the dumpster behind a Sunoco station in Wilmington, Delaware (I say this, of course, with all due respect). In other words, Bruce people.

Why is there such an 'us and them' attitude on this forum towards the email voters? They're just music fans the same as us,and their opinion has no less value. Just saying...

Lots of favorites today! I just updated my all-time albums list, so I'll include some stats from that.

Prince: Highest album: 1999 (#1). 3 albums in my top 10, another 6 in my top 50 and another 4 in my top 100. He's just about invincible in my list.
The Cure: Highest album: Disintegration: (#4). Stay tuned for a review of the best concert of my life! 6 albums in my top 100.
Madonna: Highest album: Like a Prayer (#7). 2 albums in my top 10 and another 2 in my top 100.
The Smiths: Highest album: Strangeways, Here We Come (#58). 2 albums in my top 100 and another 2 in my top 500.
Michael Jackson: Highest album: Bad (#53). 1 album in my top 100, 2 more in my top 200 and 2 more in my top 500. He's a great pop act, but my love for him is waning with time. I know he'll beat The Cure, but he has no business doing so.
Talking Heads: Highest album: Speaking in Tongues (#108). 2 albums in my top 200 and 2 more in my top 500. Great band that I appreciate more and more.
U2: Highest album: Zooropa (#270). 4 albums in my top 500.
Elvis Costello: Highest album: This Year's Model (#112). 2 albums in my top 500.
Ramones: Highest album: Ramones (#189). 2 albums in my top 500. Great matchup of punk legends. My vote makes it clear which side my bread is buttered.
The Clash: Highest album: London Calling (#204). 3 albums in my top 500.
Nirvana: Highest album: Nevermind (#253). 2 albums in my top 500.
Beastie Boys: No albums in my top 500, but lots of singles I like.
Public Enemy: Highest album: It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back (#453). 1 album in my top 500.
Pixies: No albums in my top 500.
R.E.M.: No albums in my top 500.
Bruce Springsteen: No albums in my top 500.

RESULTS:
Prince 79.4% / Talking Heads 20.6%
Michael Jackson 52.9% / The Cure 47.1%
Bruce Springsteen 61.8% / Elvis Costello 38.2%
The Clash 67.6% / Ramones 32.4%
U2 67.6% / Public Enemy 32.4%
R.E.M. 58.8% / The Smiths 41.2%
Pixies 52.9% / Madonna 47.1%
***TIE Nirvana & The Beastie Boys 50% each ***

AM/EMAIL Splits:
Clash (17-4AM) / Ramones (7-6E)
Pixies (15-6AM) / Madonna (10-3E)
Nirvana (13-8AM) / Beasties (9-4E)

Midaso
schleuse

Why is there such an 'us and them' attitude on this forum towards the email voters? They're just music fans the same as us,and their opinion has no less value. Just saying...

Never said it did have less value...was just trying for some good-natured ribbing. Sorry if it was too snarky.

The occasional frustration about the AM/email split comes from two things:

1. Collectively, the two groups have significant, and often predictable, differences in taste.

2. The two groups don't interact at all (unless it's through Slick as an intermediary). It's a bit as though the only two states whose votes counted in a presidential election were California and Texas, but California and Texas don't talk to each other at all.

Me, I would be very curious to open up a dialogue somehow between the two groups. Bring 'em over, Slick!

I think some of the difference between AM and email voter tastes is a difference in diversity of exposure.

I like those email voters. They probably don't wear glasses, and they don't walk with their heads (as we say in France, hey nobody mentioned my "as we say in French" in the thanks we get it forum !!). And I'm happy that Bruce passes.

PS : I don't think Bruce and Elvis E are so different. I know many people, here and elsewhere, who love them both (I like Costello the artist, but for mysterious reasons I'm not a fan of his records). One is just more popular than the other that's all( which means more people identify with him, even across the atlantic). And i don't think either that, were I American, I'd live and vote like a Texan.
Many Californian people come from Texas.

oh and 1 more thing : among Bruce fans you can even find smart and educated people

nicolas
Many Californian people come from Texas.

Over the past 20 years the migration has been more decidedly from California to Texas, in large measure because of housing affordability issues in California's more desirable coastal communities.