Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acclaimed Music World Tour: Round #1, Los Angeles

Welcome to the first stop on the Acclaimed Music World Tour, in lovely Southern California.

This week we'll be voting to determine the best of the best in artists from the City of Angels and its surroundings as well as their finest tunes.

The rules are as follows:

In voting for this week's HEADLINER, voters have 10 points to distribute among as many artists as they like. The artist with the most points will be the HEADLINER while the runner-up will take the position of OPENING ACT.

In voting for this week's SET LIST, voters have 25 points to distribute among as many songs as they like. The top ten songs will be played at this week's show.

Remember that the artists or songs that you choose should be associated with Los Angeles, California or locations nearby in some way.

The most acclaimed artists of the Los Angeles are according to Acclaimed Music (with their all-time rank in parentheses) are:

The Beach Boys (12)
The Byrds (28)
The Doors (30)
Beck (38)
Tom Waits (66)
Metallica (73)
Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention (80)
Guns n' Roses (81)
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band (87)
Eagles (107)
Randy Newman (125)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (145)
Dr. Dre (155)
Tim Buckley (167)
Weezer (184)
Van Halen (185)
N.W.A. (186)
Queens of the Stone Age (187)
Jackson Browne (189)
Buffalo Springfield (209)

Here is a short list of acclaimed songs about Los Angeles/Southern California:

California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas
California Girls - The Beach Boys
California Love - 2Pac feat. Dr. Dre
California Stars - Billy Bragg & Wilco
California Uber Alles - Dead Kennedys
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Drinking in L.A. - Bran Van 3000
Goin' Back to Cali - LL Cool J
Hotel California - Eagles
L.A. Blues - The Stooges
L.A. Freeway - Jerry Jeff Walker
L.A. Woman - The Doors
Los Angeles - X
Santa Monica - Everclear
Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.

You may of course vote for any artist or song you like provided they have some connection to L.A. Songs can be about L.A., they can be written by an artist from L.A. or any other link you can draw to Southern California.

This week's show will be taking place at the HOLLYWOOD BOWL on the outskirts of L.A. Longtime Angelenos may recall concerts at the Bowl by Billie Holiday, Elton John, Nat King Cole or forum favorite Kylie Minogue. Since opening in 1922, the Hollywood Bowl has also maintained a strong classical presence with appearances by Leonard Bernstein, Philip Glass, Itzhak Perlman, Andrea Boccelli and others. Of course, the most famous Bowl performers were none other than the Beatles, whose concerts in 1964 and 1965 formed the basis for their 1977 album Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

Its iconic bandshell will make for a spectacular opening to the Acclaimed Music World Tour.

Re: Acclaimed Music World Tour: Round #1, Los Angeles

For me, LA is all about '60s rock and '90s hip-hop.

Artists:

The Beach Boys (3)
The Doors (2)
Dr. Dre (2)
RHCP (2)
Guns n' Roses (1)

Songs:

Dr. Dre - Nuthin' but a G Thang (4)
Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth (4)
RHCP - Under the Bridge (3)
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton (3)
Warren G - Regulate (3)
Katy Perry - California Gurls (3)
Eagles - Hotel California (2)
Beach Boys - I Get Around (2)
2Pac - Hit 'em Up (1)

I didn't mention it before, so I will now: Feel free to post your recommendations in this thread.

Just to make sure; do the songs have to be somehow related to, or about, Los Angeles or can they be from any of the artists from Los Angeles?

Edit: I now see that you have a line about this in the opening post. I could swear that wasn't there before, haha

Stephan
Just to make sure; do the songs have to be somehow related to, or about, Los Angeles or can they be from any of the artists from Los Angeles?

They can be from any artist from L.A., regardless of subject matter.

Alright, one more thing. I could do this:
Tom Waits (10)
Guy Clark - L.A. Freeway (25)

And I'm not sure whether this is an acceptable tactic, because unless we get quite a few voters this pretty much guarantees my pick to get in, at least the song (as it should ). Maybe set a minimum amount of songs or a maximum amount of points?

Edit: Not trying to be annoying, really. Just making a suggestion. If you think it's no problem, I've got no problem.

Stephan
Tom Waits (10)

And I'm not sure whether this is an acceptable tactic, because unless we get quite a few voters this pretty much guarantees my pick to get in, at least the song (as it should ). Maybe set a minimum amount of songs or a maximum amount of points?

Edit: Not trying to be annoying, really. Just making a suggestion. If you think it's no problem, I've got no problem.

I went with the points system partly to encourage strategic voting, but it won't be any fun if everyone gives all their points to one artist/song. For now I'll keep it the scoring the way it is, but if it causes problems I'll put in some sort of minimum/maximum.

Performers:

The Beach Boys (4)
Eagles (3)
The Doors (2)
Jackson Browne (1)

Songs:

California Girls - The Beach Boys (10)
California Dreamin' - The Mamas and the Papas (6))
Hotel California - Eagles (6)
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2)
L.A. Woman - The Doors (1)

That was fast! I wasn
t expecting this for a few weeks.

Van Halen (6)
GNR (2)
Doors (2)

Sweet Child O Mine (25)
I love the song too much to vote for any other.

Alex D

Sorry, but I have to do this: Really?

Tom Waits (10)

Los Angeles (15)
Santa Monica (5)
LA Woman (5)

I agree if we're going to use a point system there should be a maximum you can give to a single artist. I could have split with Tim Buckley but I didn't think he'd be in contention.

Artists from LA:
2- Guns 'N Roses
2- Metallica
1- Queens Of The Stone Age
1- Red Hot Chili Peppers
1- Weezer
1- Bad Religion
1- The Go-Go's
1- Van Halen

Songs About LA:
3- I Left My Wallet In El Segundo - A Tribe Called Quest
2- California Girls by The Beach Boys
2- California Love by 2Pac & Dr. Dre
2- California Uber Alles by Dead Kennedys
2- Goin Back To Cali by LL Cool J
1- Colors by Ice-T
1- California by Wax
1- Drinking In LA by Bran Van 3000
1- Paradise City by Guns 'N Roses
1- Los Angeles by Frank Black
1- Straight Outta Compton by NWA
1- LA Woman - The Doors
1- Los Angeles Is Burning by Bad Religion
1- Boyz-N-the Hood by Easy-E
1- Burn Hollywood Burn by Public Enemy
1- Californication by RHCP
1- California by Phantom Planet
1- Beverly Hills by Weezer (cheesy yes, but it fits)
1- Saints of Los Angeles by Motley Crue

Alex D
Stephan
Tom Waits (10)

I went with the points system partly to encourage strategic voting, but it won't be any fun if everyone gives all their points to one artist/song. For now I'll keep it the scoring the way it is, but if it causes problems I'll put in some sort of minimum/maximum.

I kind of agree with the maximum points... I thought about giving Poison all the points just to mess things up, but that is just wrong in so many ways...

Beach Boys get 4 points
GNR gets 3
RHCP gets 2
Queens of the Stone Age has 1

Since a present day meeting between these artists is impossible, let's pretend that all musicians are Time Lords and traveled here to save the date.

ten points for "Los Angeles"
Another ten for "Santa Monica"
Last five for "Californication"

Artists

Tom Waits (5)
The Byrds (2)
The Beach Boys (1)
The Doors (1)
Ry Cooder (1)

Songs

Eagles - Hotel California 10
Led Zeppelin - Going to California 5
NWA - Straight Outta Compton 5
Tony Joe White - California on my Mind 2
Roy Orbison - California Blue 1
Mamas & Papas - California Dreamin'2

The Beach Boys (6)
Tom Waits (4)

Guy Clark - L.A. Freeway (15)
Eagles - Hotel California (5)
The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (5)

Tom Waits (3)
Beck (2)
The Beach Boys (2)
The Byrds (1)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (1)
N.W.A. (1)

Wouldn't It Be Nice - The Beach Boys (7)
California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas (6)
California Blue - Roy Orbison (5)
Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A. (3)
California Love - 2Pac feat. Dr. Dre (2)
Santa Monica - Everclear (1)
Turn! Turn! Turn! - The Byrds (1)

Listyguy
Alex D

Sorry, but I have to do this: Really?

Yes. I don't often post about it on AM, but I really do like mainstream pop music. Not in an "OMG Taylor Swift" kind of way, but in a "Max Martin is nothing short of a genius" kind of way.

Next week will probably be the first with point limits installed (as a test). Proposed limits: max of 6 points for any one artist and 12 points for any one song.

I think it's a fair idea Alex.

Ok, then make mine:

Tom Waits 6
Tim Buckley 4

Well then I'll go ahead and say that for this week, if your vote would have broken the new rules, you may change it if you like. However, it is not mandatory and the old votes will still be valid if Sunday comes without a new vote.

Bands:
Minutemen - 2
X - 1
The Germs - 1
Beck - 1
Love - 1
The Circle Jerks - 1
Black Flag - 1
The Doors - 1
The Byrds - 1

Thanks!

Not my favorite bands in the world but since this is my home town I'll pick artist the legenday Rodney Bingenheimer would pick since it is his 35th anniversary on The (station he MADE)World Famous KROQ. Not to be confused with our other highly influencial radio stations KCRW and KXLU.

the Runaways-3
X-2
Rilo Kiley-1
Sonny and Cher-1
the Doors-1
Best Coast-1
the Go Gos-1

*Cal Worthington(and his dog Spot)
*Huell Howser
*Crazy Gideon
*Larry H. Parker
*Vick the Brick
*Jackie Johnson

ARTISTS:

7: X

1: Tom Waits
1: QOTSA
1: Minutemen

There are a lot of L.A. bands I’d love to give points to, including the Beach Boys, Black Flag, the Go-Go’s, GnR, Van Halen, Los Lobos, and so on. But X is, for me, THE sound of Los Angeles, so I gave them as many points as I could and spread the remainder among three others about whom I would have kicked myself for failing to give them a shout-out.

SONGS:

8: X, “Los Angeles”
4: Billy Bragg & Wilco, “California Stars”
(best song on Mermaid Avenue)
3: The Mamas and the Papas, “California Dreamin’”
3: The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows”
(their best song)
1: R.E.M., “I Remember California”
(underrated track on Green)
1: X, “Blue Spark”
(it’s about Santa Monica)
1: Interpol, “The Heinrich Maneuver”
(a borderline pick – it only qualifies because of the refrain “How are things on the west coast?” – but I like it too much not to put it somewhere)
1: Dead Kennedys, “California Über Alles”
1: LL Cool J, “Goin’ Back to Cali”
1: Katy Perry, “California Gurls”
(It’s a good song.)
1: Missing Persons, “Walking in L.A.”
(It’s a guilty pleasure, and yes, I know I said I wouldn’t use that term anymore.)

The Hollywood Bowl does seem the appropriate choice. Let us not forget Monty Python’s epic live performances there.

Favorite sports team from this region: the Clippers. Unless I can pick the San Diego Chargers.

schleuse
1: Missing Persons, “Walking in L.A.”
(It’s a guilty pleasure, and yes, I know I said I wouldn’t use that term anymore.)

I always enjoyed Walking in LA. Thanks for reminding me of this song - which I probably haven't heard for more than a decade.

Artists:

Beck - 6 pts. - The best artist from SoCal. IMHO, it's not even close.

Crosby Stills Nash (& Young) - 4 pts. - Surprised they were not listed as an L.A. band. Am I missing some technicality on where they formed? Or do we count any group with three or more nationalities represented as homeless?

Songs:

"Unfair," Pavement - 12 pts. - "Let's burn the hills of Beverlyyyyyyyyy!"

"Screenwriter's Blues," Soul Coughing - 5 pts. - "We are all in some way or another going to Reseda someday to die/And the radioman laughs because the radioman fucks a model too"

"Midnight Train to Georgia," Gladys Knight and the Pips - 4 pts. - "L.A. proved too much for the man"

"Santa Monica," Everclear - 2 pts. - "I am still living with your ghost/Lonely and dreaming of the west coast"

"California," Phantom Planet - 2 pts. - "Your shadow weighs a ton/Driving down the 101"

I'd prefer a club date at the Whiskey-a-Go-Go, but the Hollywood Bowl is not a bad choice at all.

Schwah
Artists:

Crosby Stills Nash (& Young) - 4 pts. - Surprised they were not listed as an L.A. band. Am I missing some technicality on where they formed? Or do we count any group with three or more nationalities represented as homeless?

Since they were a British-American-Canadian supergroup I didn't think they could really be counted as from one particular place, but you are more than welcome to vote for them.

Alex D
Schwah
Artists:

Since they were a British-American-Canadian supergroup I didn't think they could really be counted as from one particular place, but you are more than welcome to vote for them.

They're Laurel Canyon through and through... I'm sticking with them.

I'm a bit busy tonight, so Round 2 and Round 1 results will come sometime tomorrow.