#1 Pearl Jam
pass
pass
pass

Last two were too close to call.

Re: UMT2: Round of 64 / #2

Radiohead - Blowout of the day
Arcade Fire
Kanye - If I listed these artists 1 through 16 these would be 5 & 6...
Oasis - One of my favorite artists a few years back, they are slowly sliding down the list as the years go on...
Pearl Jam
Blur
Gorillaz
OutKast

#3 PJ Harvey
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 The White Stripes
#2 Eminem
#2 Wilco
#2 Pavement
#4 Gorillaz
#1 OutKast

#1 Radiohead
#3 Portishead
#1 The White Stripes
#1 Oasis
#1 Pearl Jam
#1 Blur
#4 Gorillaz
#2 LCD Soundsystem

#1 Radiohead
#3 Portishead
#3 PJ Harvey
#1 Blur
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins
#1 The White Stripes
#1 OutKast
#2 Eminem
#4 Gorillaz
#1 Oasis
#2 Pavement
#2 Wilco
#3 Kanye West
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 Pearl Jam
#2 LCD Soundsystem

#1 Radiohead
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 The White Stripes
#2 Eminem
#2 Wilco
#1 Blur
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins
#1 OutKast

Ok, let's go for the beloved Stephan format :

Kanye West
Radiohead
Arcade Fire
LCD Soundsystem

Portishead
Outkast
Blur
Eminem
Gorillaz

Pearl Jam/Wilco (tie)
The Smashing Pumpkins
Oasis
The White Stripes
Pavement
PJ Harvey

Notes :
Fillmore Jive tops any Blur songs, 10 Blur songs top all Pavement songs but Fillmore Jive

#1 Radiohead
#3 Portishead
#3 Kanye West
#2 Eminem (why couldn't PJ match up with one of these two?)
#2 Wilco
#1 Blur (tough call)
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins (why couldn't Pavement match up with one of these two?)
#1 OutKast

Oh, and for giggles:

Radiohead
Outkast
PJ Harvey
Kanye West
Blur
Pavement
Portishead
Wilco
LCD Soundsystem
The White Stripes
Arcade Fire
The Smashing Pumpkins
Eminem
Oasis
Gorillaz
Pearl Jam

Radiohead
Arcade Fire
The White Stripes
Oasis
Wilco
Blur
Smashing Pumpkins
LCD Soundsystem

#1 Radiohead
#1 Arcade Fire
#3 Kanye West (very, very close)
#1 Oasis
#2 Wilco
#1 Blur
#4 Gorillaz
#1 OutKast

I guess if we're calling it the Stephan-format I'll have to join in.

1. #1 Oasis
2. #3 Kanye West
3. #2 Eminem
4. #4 Gorillaz
5. #1 OutKast
6. #3 PJ Harvey
7. #1 Arcade Fire
8. #2 Wilco
9. #2 LCD Soundsystem
10. #3 Portishead
11. #2 Pavement
12. #2 The Smashing Pumpkins
13. #1 Blur
14. #1 Radiohead
15. #1 The White Stripes
16. #1 Pearl Jam

Radiohead
Portishead
Kanye West
Oasis
Wilco
Blur
Gorillaz
LCD Soundsystem

#1 Arcade Fire
#1 Radiohead
#2 Wilco
#3 Kanye West
#2 Pavement
#2 LCD Soundsystem
#1 Oasis
#2 Eminem
#1 The White Stripes
#3 PJ Harvey
#1 Blur
#2 Smashing Pumpkins
#1 OutKast
#4 Gorillaz
#3 Portishead
#1 Pearl Jam

#1 Radiohead
#3 Kanye West
#2 Eminem
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 Pearl Jam
#1 OutKast
#1 Oasis
#1 Blur
#1 The White Stripes
#4 Gorillaz
#2 Wilco
#2 LCD Soundsystem
#2 Pavement
#3 Portishead
#3 PJ Harvey
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins

Radiohead (which is a shame, I'm just getting into PJ)
Arcade Fire (mainly for Funeral)
Kanye
pass
Wilco
Pavement
Gorillaz
ouch....Outkast

#1 Radiohead - God, it's hard to vote against Plly Jean. And I'll say this... her 2011 album kicks their 2011 album's ass.
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 The White Stripes - I think it's just discomfort with the themes on West's last three albums that have me vote this way. One more album, hopefully where he marries some more of the thematic expansiveness he showed on his debut with his increasingly fantastic production, he'd beat a very strong White Stripes handily.
#2 Eminem
#2 Wilco - Ugh. Every other artist from today (except for Oasis) would beat both Wilco and Pearl Jam handily.
#2 Pavement - Still my #1 from this 90s group... which I can say since I don't expect them to beat Blur this round.
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins - With some reservations. But both Smashing Pumpkins and Gorillaz are inconsistent.
#1 OutKast - LCD Soundsystem is more consistent. OutKast reaches higher highs.

PJ Harvey
Portishead
Kanye West
Eminem
Wilco
Blur
The Smashing Pumpkins
OutKast

RADIOHEAD. If everything breaks right, it’s possible for the Final Four to be my four favorite artists (for those scoring at home, that’s the Beatles, Clash, R.E.M. and these guys). Of those four, I’m guessing Radiohead has the best chance to get there. I mean, the 90s/00s region is very strong – I’d put it on a par with the 50s/60s region – but Radiohead should still chew through all of this competition without trouble. Sorry, Polly Jean.

ARCADE FIRE. I voted for one of this year’s ACL headliners yesterday (Stevie). I’m voting for two more today, and this is the first one. I missed them earlier this month when they played in The Woodlands, the northern Houston suburb from which Win Butler hails (and which inspired their current album), but I heard it was a terrific show.

KANYE WEST. And here’s today’s other ACL headliner. A lot of the old Austin music guard isn’t too happy about this…I think it’ll be a good show (has anyone here seen him live?). This is a close matchup, but, shocking as this sounds, I think Kanye now beats Jack White on body of work.

EMINEM. Kind of a meh matchup, yes, although I like both acts. Makes me think of that old game we used to play in survivor: What would happen if Eminem and the Gallaghers showed up at the same bar?

WILCO. I’ve alluded in earlier rounds to having problems with Pearl Jam, but I haven’t said what they are. In a nutshell: they play very generic rock. They do it well, but they’re not anything special. They also have a weird earnestness about them…I find it kind of off-putting, but it does seem to be a requirement for artists to get their own satellite radio channel (see also: Springsteen, Grateful Dead). Now Wilco, on the other hand, is one of my favorite bands precisely because they ARE distinctive, something like the bastard child of Peter Buck and Thurston Moore.

BLUR. On the other hand, if Pearl Jam wins, I’ll be spared the dilemma of a Wilco/Blur matchup in the next round. Thought experiment: if you compare the output of Blur and Radiohead in the nineties ONLY, who comes out on top? I guess I’d have to go with Radiohead, but it’s really close…it’s only with Kid A and Amnesiac that I think Radiohead really pulls away.

GORILLAZ. Kind of a “what the hell?” vote. I just decided I liked the highly successful sort-of-side-project of a talented middle-aged artist over a band which started brilliant and faded fast.

OUTKAST. This is the most difficult choice I’ve had to make in this tournament.

#1 Radiohead
#3 Portishead
#1 The White Stripes
#2 Eminem
#2 Wilco
#2 Pavement
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins
#2 LCD Soundsystem

#1 Radiohead
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 The White Stripes
#1 Oasis
#1 Pearl Jam - just
#1 Blur
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins
#2 LCD Soundsystem

#3 PJ Harvey (She's getting blown out, but doesn't deserve to be. I know it's sacrilege, but as good as they are, Radiohead is overrated on this forum. P.S. Their latest album sucks)
#1 Arcade Fire (Not that close for me)
#1 The White Stripes (Favorite act of the last decade vs. favorite hip-hop artist of last eight years)
#2 Eminem (I like the high points of both acts' careers, but their low points weren't good. I'm voting for Eminem because the Gallagher boys were annoying even at the top of their game)
#1 Pearl Jam (There are two Wilco albums I'd probably put ahead of anything Pearl Jam has done, but after that it's a bunch of Pearl Jam albums. Also, I've got to vote for the home team and I have fond memories from 1991-92, like listening to Ten on a Walkman* while laid out on a lawn in Germany somewhere taking in the summer sun.
#2 Pavement (Blur's cute and all, but ...)
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins (Sorry, Damon, I'm just not in your corner today)
#1 OutKast (Stankonia carries them to the win)

* For those too young to know what a Walkman is (was), long ago there were these things called cassette tapes that had music recorded on them and you could listen to the music through headphones using a devise called a Walkman.

#1 Radiohead
#1 Arcade Fire
#3 Kanye West
#1 Oasis
#1 Pearl Jam
#1 Blur
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins
#2 LCD Soundsystem

#1 Radiohead
#3 Portishead
#1 The White Stripes
#1 Oasis
#2 Wilco
#2 Pavement
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins
#1 OutKast

dotmusic.com, 2001: "Cult US underground rock group Pavement have been cited as a major influence on the transformation of Blur, after the release of the staid mock-rock formula of 'The Great Escape' LP in 1995.

Malkmus, Albarn and his then girlfriend, Elastica singer Justine Frischmann, are known to have become friends at the time, but rumours in recent years suggested a fall-out between Malkmus and Albarn.

This is said to have stemmed from Blur supposedly 'ripping-off' the Pavement sound on the subsequent records '13' and 'Blur'."

Thanks!

#1 Radiohead
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 The White Stripes
#1 Oasis- They've had some lucky matchups, Oasis wouldn't make my top 100 artist list.
#2 Wilco
#2 Pavement
#2 The Smashing Pumpkins
#2 LCD Soundsystem

Brad
dotmusic.com, 2001: "Cult US underground rock group Pavement have been cited as a major influence on the transformation of Blur, after the release of the staid mock-rock formula of 'The Great Escape' LP in 1995.

Malkmus, Albarn and his then girlfriend, Elastica singer Justine Frischmann, are known to have become friends at the time, but rumours in recent years suggested a fall-out between Malkmus and Albarn.

This is said to have stemmed from Blur supposedly 'ripping-off' the Pavement sound on the subsequent records '13' and 'Blur'."

Very interesting. It's obvious that between The Great Escape, which was, um, uneven, and s/t, Damon was listening to a lot of American indie rock, I'm sure to the delight of Graham Coxon, who had been following that stuff for years. I never thought of s/t and 13 as sounding like Pavement, though.

I guess parts of them do ("Country Sad Ballad Man" leaps to mind), but then (like every Blur album) parts of them also sound like a lot of other influences. Damon's nothing if he's not a pop music mixmaster.

I like Pavement an awful lot. If they had released one or two more albums at the level of Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, that would be a much closer matchup for me.

Radiohead
Arcade Fire
Stripes (I garuntee Kanye wins via email vote.)
Oasis (I garuntee Eminem wins via email vote.)
Pearl Jam
Blur
pass
Outkast

Slick
#1 Pearl Jam vs. #2 Wilco
Sorry, I'm new here...It seems like this is a voting between artists most of the time, but here it's between two albums. Why?

#1 Radiohead
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 The White Stripes (need to listen to MBDTF, might have swayed my vote)
#1 Oasis
#2 Wilco
#1 Blur (That was tough)
The Smashing Pumpkins
#1 OutKast (Laregely based on my love for Aquemini)

Hey Slick, sorry I havent taken part in this before. Not sure if it's too late to jump in now? If not, thats cool

#3 PJ Harvey: She's been pretty consistently great for 20 years now.
Pass (I both like Arcade Fire more and less. It's strange.)
#1 The White Stripes: Both are probably good, but neither really excites me.
#2 Eminem: What a dreadful matchup of humorless douchebags with overblown, obnoxious music.
Pass
Pass
#4 Gorillaz
#2 LCD Soundsystem

Moonbeam
(I both like Arcade Fire more and less. It's strange.)

Keep listening to Funeral. It really is wonderful. And ignore nj's voice in your head.

Beans
#1 Radiohead
#1 Arcade Fire
#1 The White Stripes (need to listen to MBDTF, might have swayed my vote)
#1 Oasis
#2 Wilco
#1 Blur (That was tough)
The Smashing Pumpkins
#1 OutKast (Laregely based on my love for Aquemini)

Hey Slick, sorry I havent taken part in this before. Not sure if it's too late to jump in now? If not, thats cool

Never too late

Radiohead
Arcade Fire
White Stripes
Oasis (narrowly)
Pearl Jam
Blur (narrowly)
Gorillaz
LCD Soundsystem

Dan M
Moonbeam
(I both like Arcade Fire more and less. It's strange.)

Keep listening to Funeral. It really is wonderful. And ignore nj's voice in your head.

Oh, it is wonderful! The thing is, I've only heard Dummy by Portishead. I like it a lot - about the same as Neon Bible but not as much as Funeral. However, I don't feel like I can make an informed enough decision based on Dummy alone, as Portishead may have their own version of The Suburbs.

RESULTS: alot of really close votes...
Radiohead 81.0% / PJ Harvey 19.0%
Arcade Fire 69.1% / Portishead 30.9%
The White Stripes 51.2% / Kanye West 48.8%
Eminem 52.4% / Oasis 47.6%
Wilco 51.3% / Pearl Jam 48.7%
Blur 67.5% / Pavement 32.5%
The Smashing Pumpkins 58.5% / Gorillaz 41.5%
OutKast 71.4% / LCD Soundsystem 28.6%

Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Blur, Pumpkins & OutKast all won both AM & e-mail...
White Stripes (16-12AM) / Kanye (9-6e-mail)
Oasis (14-13AM) / Eminem (9-6e-mail)
Wilco (17-9AM) / Pearl Jam (11-4e-mail)

schleuse
Brad

Very interesting. It's obvious that between The Great Escape, which was, um, uneven, and s/t, Damon was listening to a lot of American indie rock, I'm sure to the delight of Graham Coxon, who had been following that stuff for years. I never thought of s/t and 13 as sounding like Pavement, though.

I guess parts of them do ("Country Sad Ballad Man" leaps to mind), but then (like every Blur album) parts of them also sound like a lot of other influences. Damon's nothing if he's not a pop music mixmaster.

I like Pavement an awful lot. If they had released one or two more albums at the level of Slanted and Enchanted and Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, that would be a much closer matchup for me.

I agree with you schleuse, re: Blur sounding like Pavement. I remember when the whole Blur's moving in a new direction/they're influenced by Pavement thing was being written about. I gather that's mostly because Albarn kept mentioning them in interviews. But that always struck me as overblown. It's been a while since I listened to Blur's s/t, but 13 never sounded even close to Pavement to me. Even the big rock single off s/t, "Song 2," sounds nothing like Pavement. Of the two catchy "Whoo hoo" choruses, Blur knew how to make "Song 2" an enduring jock rock hit. As much as I love "Cut Your Hair," and as much as I would love it to be my entrance music when I finally take over from Rivera as the Yankee's closer, Pavement never had it in them to deliver a jock rock monster hit.

As for Schleuse's desire for one or two more high-level Pavement albums, I truly think that Brighten the Corners and Terror Twilight are there. Wowee Zowee is always going to divide listeners. But Brighten the Corners is better than Slanted and Enchanted in my estimation.

And if Pavement never again reached the level of Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, that's simply because no other album in the history of recorded popular music has ever reached that level of greatness.

Sorry to see you go from the tourney, Pavement.