Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Release date for R. Kelly's "Ignition (Remix)"

It was suggested at the end of the top albums and songs from 2002 thread that "Ignition (Remix)" was released in 2002 rather than 2003.

I'm confused when looking at the Discogs page. Was both "Ignition" and "Ignition (Remix)" (I definitely think they should be regarded as different versions of the same song) released as singles, or was "(Remix)" just missing on the cover of some promo versions? Was "Ignition (Remix)" released in 2002 only as a promo single or as a commercial release as well?

Should a promo release be taken into account at AM?

Re: Release date for R. Kelly's "Ignition (Remix)"

I'm pretty sure the regular version of Ignition never saw the light of day as a single. There is a remix to Ignition (Remix). That is, essentially, Ignition (Remix) (Remix featuring Twista). That's everything I know.

AllMusic also lists Ignition (Remix) as a 2002 single, so it looks like it was in fact from 2002.

Regarding promo releases being taken into account at AM: as promos are usually sent to radio stations and music journalists before the official release date, I kinda feel they shouldn't be included. It might confuse things, especially when it comes to albums/songs officially released early in the year while their promos would've been released towards the end of the previous year.

Dan M
AllMusic also lists Ignition (Remix) as a 2002 single, so it looks like it was in fact from 2002.

Regarding promo releases being taken into account at AM: as promos are usually sent to radio stations and music journalists before the official release date, I kinda feel they shouldn't be included. It might confuse things, especially when it comes to albums/songs officially released early in the year while their promos would've been released towards the end of the previous year.
Thanks, but I don't consider Allmusic as a reliable source for release dates.

Both versions of the song appear on his 2003 album Chocolate Factory but it seems the remix version was the single version released in 2002.

Source: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignition_(song))