The Traveling Wilburys - Volume One

Division 3:
Jimi Hendrix - Cry of Love vs
The Go Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane

Division 4:
Galaxie 500 - Today vs
The Bats - Daddy's Highway

Re: Best Moderately Acclaimed Album 2: Round 1.15

1. The Traveling Wilburys - Volume One (In the easiest matchup in the entire tournament)
2. The Go-Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
3. Janet Jackson - Rythym Nation 1814 (Some great infectious stuff in here, and I'm glad to finally vote for a Moonbeam album, even though in this case it means voting against another one)
4. The Bats - Daddy's Highway
5. Galaxie 500 - Today (I would've been on board with "On Fire", but "Today" is just edged out by "Daddy's Highway")
6. Kylie Minogue - Fever
7. Jimi Hendrix - Cry Of Love (I've never been the biggest Hendrix fan to begin with, and this does nothing to convince me otherwise)
8. John Lennon - Mind Games

The Cry of Love

If this doesn't make it, I may cry.

Fever
Volume One
16 Lovers Lane
Daddy's Highway

BillAdama

Janet Jackson - Rythym Nation 1814 vs
Kylie Minogue - Fever

Hell if I know why I already had these 2 albums on cd before this game even started.

ATTN:

I case a few people haven't read the other thread, there was an error in counting the results. Now, Dusk At Cubist Castle and Lovesexy are tied with 4 votes each, and next vote wins.

Vote: Cry Of Love

My favorite Hendrix album other than Are You Experienced and Electric Ladyland. It's a shame Jimi never lived to finish it the way he intended.

Midaso
BillAdama

Janet Jackson - Rythym Nation 1814 vs
Kylie Minogue - Fever

Hell if I know why I already had these 2 albums on cd before this game even started.

Because they're AWESOME!

The 3rd all-Moonbeam matchup is again torturous for me! It pits an album in my all-time top 3 vs. an album in my all-time top 20.

Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814 gets my vote. If you want to know why, check out this thread.

BillAdama

I case a few people haven't read the other thread, there was an error in counting the results. Now, Dusk At Cubist Castle and Lovesexy are tied with 4 votes each, and next vote wins.

Vote: Lovesexy

I had never heard of Olivia Tremor Control before, so it was very interesting to listen to something without any kind of opinion already formed. The album is impressive, and I quite like it in parts: "The Opera House", "Can You Come Down With Us?" and the ending of "Holiday Surprise 1, 2, 3" particularly stand out. Elsewhere, it fringes too much on Beatles territory vocally for my taste. That said, it was well worth the listen. I may actually give this another spin later on. Nevertheless, Lovesexy is an infallible titan for me.

And Lovesexy advances.

Good catch, the people who caught the miscount.

Division 1: Kylie Minogue - Fever. I went with Kylie because she's way hotter, thereby lending more conviction to her performance, though the next-to-last track on Janet's album kind of made me feel warm.
Division 2: John Lennon - Mind Games
Division 3: Jimi Hendrix - Cry of Love. Super-close because 16 Lovers Lane is a fine, fine album.
Division 4: The Bats - Daddy's Highway. Yet another winner from mid-late '80's Flying Nun.

Thanks!

Vote: Janet Jackson

I'm voting for Janet because Kylie Minogue is way hotter, and attractive visuals distract you from a primarily auditory medium.

Just kidding.

I don't understand why Kylie is lumped in with the 'Annoying pop girls'. She should be lumped in with dance pop singers like Annie and La Roux. It's interesting with Janet Jackson. What sounds annoying played from supermarket speakers sounds a lot better on a personal stereo when you can fully hear all of the background instruments. Rythym Nation is a very good album. (Of course I had to play Fever very quiet so the college kids across the wall don't think I'm uncool.)

Vote: John Lennon

I expected to be voting for The Traveling Wilburys in this one because of my fondness for Handle With Care. Unfortunately, the songwriting isn't nearly as consistent throughout the album. Although I think Tom Petty guitar complements Roy Orbison signing quite well.

And finally, vote: Galaxie 500

Two good but not great albums, one more interesting.

Division 1: Kylie Minogue - Fever
Division 2: The Traveling Wilburys - Volume One
Division 3: The Go Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane
Division 4: The Bats - Daddy's Highway

I will be out tonight, so this match will stay open until I get home, which will probably be around midnight my time, which is 5 AM board time.

Could not find the Bats' album anywhere...

I will listen to Cry of Love tonight, so I can vote for at list one match-up. The Go-Betweens are good but not great, so everything depends if Cry of Love is closer to Are You Experienced or Axis Bold as Love !

Well, I will only vote in match-up 3 if nobody breaks the tie before tomorrow when I arrive at work ^^

A lot of regular voters didn't vote this week. Very low turnout. Because of the low turnout I'll leave the tied matches open for a full week, rather than having sudden death.

Janet Jackson - Rythym Nation 1814 3 TIED WITH
Kylie Minogue - Fever 3

The Traveling Wilburys - Volume One 3 def
John Lennon - Mind Games 2

Jimi Hendrix - Cry Of Love 3 TIED WITH
The Go Between - 16 Lovers Lane 3

The Bats - Daddy's Highway 4 def
Galaxie 500 - Today 1