Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Idea for next game after Moderate: King Of The Hill

This would be an ongoing discovery game for new music.

Each week two albums would be against each other. These albums would be selected by two forum members, and there would only be two restrictions: They must have come out between 1 and 12 months ago, and must have less than 67 points on mega-critic.

There's a straight majority vote between the two, and the winner stays on the next week to face a new challenger.

At the end of the year we take the eight albums with the most victories (Ties broken by total vote percentage) and have a simple elimination draw.

How do we select who gets to select the albums? Anybody interested would drop their names, and those names would be added to a queue in random order. After your turn, your can add your name back to the end of the queue.

How many people would be interested in this? Does anybody have other ideas for format? (Like, instead of two albums in a one week cycle, four in a two week cycle?)

Re: Idea for next game after Moderate: King Of The Hill

Definitely count me in. I'll take some time to think this over but sounds like a good system.

I'm not exactly sure how Megacritic works, but I imagine it's possible for an album to crack the 67 pt threshold after they're nominated, correct? Would that album stay in the game? Also, would the reigning champion at the end of the year continue into the next year, even if they have enough eligible victories for the year-end tournament?

Great idea... I can tell you really put a lot of thought into these things!

That sounds like an awesome game and a nice way to discover new recent music that often goes unnoticed by us without we realizing it. Count me in.

Brad
Definitely count me in. I'll take some time to think this over but sounds like a good system.

I'm not exactly sure how Megacritic works, but I imagine it's possible for an album to crack the 67 pt threshold after they're nominated, correct? Would that album stay in the game? Also, would the reigning champion at the end of the year continue into the next year, even if they have enough eligible victories for the year-end tournament?

Great idea... I can tell you really put a lot of thought into these things!

Those are the issues to work through. The 'Cracking the threshold after they are nominated' thing is the reason I said '1 to 12 months' instead of just 'less than 12 months'. I guess we could just apply specific exceptions, say, if an album is at 66.9 based on UK critics, and is going to come out in the US next week.

Maybe we could say the champion does continue on next year, unless they're in the tournament.

I like this idea too.

Here's hoping that the recommendations won't only be American or British indie and hip-hop (although I am admittedly still a little biased to these myself... but working on it ). At the end of last year Miguel and Romain recommended Spanish and French albums from 2010 which I really enjoyed listening to. And looking at individual lists from our recent EOY poll, some people are clearly up to speed with more obscure/unfamiliar electronic albums, which I'll also be keen on exploring.

Count me in.