Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Links you have to acclaimed artists

In college, I knew a kid who related to Brian Eno. His father was deceased, and hadn't been particularly close to Eno, and my friend felt weird seeking out his father's cousin based on musical admiration.

I went to elementary school with the daughter of Cliff Williams, Bassist for AC/DC. Once or twice I found myself at his house, without a clue in the world why people were so in awe of him.

Bob Dylan owned a house near Loyola University New Orleans, where I studied. His house was in a very ritzy, well to do gated community, but it bordered on a back street where I walked down to go to the bars. Every once in a while (when Dylan was home, which was rarely) my friends and I would sit and joke around with the armed guard he posted on the street entrance to his home, asking him if he'd let us meet Dylan.

Re: Links you have to acclaimed artists

My wife is second cousins to Jaco Pastorius (he was her mother's first cousin). I attended Jaco's father's funeral a couple years ago.

I guess i'm only linked to someone via Adam and Eve

Never met neither the father nor the daughter, but my aunt was one of the assistants of the director of Louis Le Grand's high school in Paris, where Charlotte Gainsbourg studied for a while. She met Serge Gainsbourg several times, and told us he was always pissing them off with his daughter, always worried and looking if everything was okay. Funny .
Wished I could have seen Serge at least once in concert...

My grandma was in a major-label R&B group in the eighties (she's young, so she was in her thirties then). The group never got off the ground (the lead singer tragically committed suicide as they were finishing their first album and the label had a clause that voided the contract), and met a ton of ridiculously cool people. She was good friends with Lionel Richie, partied at Quincy Jones' mansion and met Stevie (Wonder and Nicks) and MJ. Stevie Wonder could recognize people by smell. Stevie Nicks was known as "Lady Vodka" for her choice of drink (this is solo career days). Our family is originally from Jersey so she met Bruce Springsteen a few times in his Asbury Park days too, and she went to some crazy concerts like a Motown revue in '63 or '64 (where she was the only white girl in the audience) and Woodstock (with my mom, who was then two years old).

A good friend of mine now is an aspiring rapper on an indie label, and one of his labelmates recorded a song with Trey Songz (who isn't really an AM artist but has had multiple recent top-10 hits in the US). In a two-day span while they were shooting the video in Sweden Trey allegedly seduced six women, so fame has its perks I suppose.

Wow, you guys are lucky!

The closest I come to this is that I've met Annie after her concerts 3 times and she gave me a promo CD of her forthcoming DJ Kicks album.

once i banged some chickaree who turned out to be best friend with the niece of Cindy Blackman.. does that count as ultra:acceptable?

My dad is convinced we're 4th or 5th cousins with Guy Clark, but he can not produce proof.

And, err, a coworker of mine was a roadie for Aerosmith.

And, my brother went to Berklee School of Music, so that's probably put him into direct contact with some famous musicians. Edge and Gloria Estefan spoke at his graduation.

BillAdama

that would be so: i dunno, just jugglin, but yeah, your opinion, man..

PS: add a CCR soundtrack to that, if you must

BillAdama

What kind of work are you in that you would have an ex-roadie working there?

I'm working on a Masters, and I have a part time job going around to different stores and counting their inventory.

I had dinner with my idol Rodney Bingenheimer. He might have broken an acclaimed artist or two on his radio show on KROQ.

I was a journalist for an interview my boss did with Al Jourgensen's wife which also included a review for Ministy's remix album Rantology. My boss also got a chance to interview Art Brut at the Spaceland in Silverlake which I was a part of. She also interviewed the opening act for Muse. Forgot the name of the band but I took notes for that interview as well.

My uncle by marriage was the drummer for Episode Six. He left the group, and his bandmates Ian Gillan and Roger Glover went on to form Deep Purple.

My grandma was friends with David Lee Roth's Mom through their Temple in Pasadena, and my Mom went to his Bar Mitzvah party (where they served lobster and a lot of other non-kosher food, I'm told).

More obscure but nearer and dearer to me, my Dad was high school buddies with David Ocker, who played clarinet and woodwinds for Frank Zappa during the late 70s early 80s (he's credited on the song "Wild Love" from Frank Zappa's Sheik Yerbouti). Doing a little research, I found out that his full-time gig for a while was going through Zappa's papers at his house and transcribing the tons of unorganized compositions Zappa had written up to that point.

Wow - some of these are pretty good,although I guess it depends where you live. I live much too far away from the main centres of acclaimed artists,with only 4 listed from the whole of NZ. There is some guy who lives in my town who was a fill-in drummer in AC/DC for about a year,and another who was in a band that once opened for Little Feat,that's about the best I can do...

I haven’t met personally any important star (except for some Spanish pop stars in my youth, like Alaska that once asked for my amp at a festival). But a close friend of mine knows personally some of my all time idols, for instance Michael Stipe, Donald Fagen, Thom Yorke or David Bowie (I’m not exaggerating, last Saturday she had dinner with other friends at Bowie’s house in NYC and the previous week she walked through the streets of London’s Soho with Yorke and talked a lot with him during two long hours). I just hope she don’t read this thread (it was supposed to be a secret). But (and sorry) one last revelation: last Christmas while she was with some friends at Donald Fagen’s house in Woodstock she showed him (to my request) the thread with the 1900-1949 poll results. Fagen and the other musicians at the party (Levon Helm was there too) made some praiseworthy comments about that Acclaimed Music Forum thread and this even ignited a conversation about the differences between that music and today’s music. Oh God, how I wish to have been there too! Or not, probably I just have babbled like an idiot...

I just found out that my half-brother is friends with Robert Plant. My brother makes wine in California and has several famous fans, among them Maynard James Keenan. Last night my mom and dad started ranting that my sister-in-law had pictures of him with Robert Plant at their house on her myspace.

So my brother is friend's with the singer of the #5 acclaimed artist ever...can you top that!?!?!?!

Honorio
one last revelation: last Christmas while she was with some friends at Donald Fagen’s house in Woodstock she showed him (to my request) the thread with the 1900-1949 poll results. Fagen and the other musicians at the party (Levon Helm was there too) made some praiseworthy comments about that Acclaimed Music Forum thread and this even ignited a conversation about the differences between that music and today’s music.
Wow- would have loved to hear that conversation!

Jonathon
can you top that!?!?!?!

Yes,I am Bob Dylan. Really,I mean it

This forum has had it's share of "Famous" visitors in the past. (John Cale, CSNY, Del Shannon)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc38Uy-i1lA

Brad
Wow- would have loved to hear that conversation!

Yes! me too. Probably Fagen loved some of our choices. Just remember that he offered tribute to some of the artist we voted in Steely Dan's album "Pretzel Logic", being Charlie Parker in "Parker's Band" or Duke Ellington in "East St. Louis Toodle-Oo"

I go to Duke, and Springsteen's daughter is a freshman here. I know people who know her.

Clay Aiken grew up in the house behind me and babysat me once.

drewcannon3
I go to Duke, and Springsteen's daughter is a freshman here. I know people who know her.

No artist gets more acclaimed than Clay Aiken!!!! Isn't there a name for the 8 fans that still follow his career?

Slick
drewcannon3

No artist gets more acclaimed than Clay Aiken!!!! Isn't there a name for the 8 fans that still follow his career?

That was deserved.

Mike Posner was here at the same time as me, too.