Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM Survivor: Round 2, Week 8

Who’s been sacked (in honor of the Super Bowl) :
30. Sonic Youth (14 points)
29. Curtis Mayfield (12)
28. Al Green (11)
Who’s got 4th and 10: Ray Ray (7), The Smiths (7), Johnny Cash (7) and Michael Jackson (9)

Now, let the games begin! We are down to 27 artists. Here, please post four artists want you off the “Island” out of the remaining artists. Please see the Rules Thread for the complete set of rules. Remember that one artist get 3 points, the next gets 2, and so on.

Greg won the Immunity Challenge last week, so The Smiths are immune this week.

The Remaining Artists:
The Beach Boys, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, The Clash, Sam Cooke, Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Michael Jackson, Joy Division, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, OutKast, Prince, Otis Redding, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Sly and the Family Stone, The Smiths, Bruce Springsteen, Talking Heads, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young

Re: AM Survivor: Round 2, Week 8

-3 Sam Cooke
-2 Miles Davis
-1 Ray Charles

-3 Sam Cooke
-2 Ray Charles
-1 Chuck Berry

These are the only 3 artists left that are not in my top 100 artists.

-3 OutKast - the only artist left who aren't legends
-2 Miles Davis
-1 James Brown

-3 Ray Charles
-2 Beach Boys
-1 Sly

Being considered a legend doesn't make you automatically better than something not considered a legend.

Tis perception.

-3 Led Zeppelin
-2 Bruce Springsteen
-1 James Brown

-3 Ray Charles
-2 Simon and Garfunkel
-1 Aretha Franklin

-3 Led Zeppelin
-2 Johnny Cash
-1 Aretha Franklin

-3 OutKast
-2 Johnny Cash
-1 James Brown

-3 The Kinks
-2 Ray Charles
-1 The Clash

-3 Simon and Garfunkel (they're so out of their league at this point)
-2 Aretha Franklin
-1 Churck Berry

-3 Michael Jackson
-2 Simon & Garfunkel
-1 Chuck Berry

If this keeps up only the worst artist will stay.
-3 Johnny Cash
-2 Bruce Springsteen
-1 The Beach Boys

-3 Ray Charles
-2 Jimi Hendrix
-1 Aretha Franklin

-3 Aretha Franklin
-2 OutKast
-1 Michael Jackson

Wow. My sweet zep is getting beatin down this week.

I'm pretty sure OutKast are considered legends.

-3 The Smiths
-2 Led Zeppelin
-1 Simon and Garfunkle

I tihnk The Smiths are kind of lousy for the most part, and I hope they get some more votes. I like zep and SaG quite a bit, but both are out of their leagues here.

Listyguy

It is difficult for me to understand how Zeppelin is getting beat down this week and Simon & Garfunkel is described as being out of their league compared to a band that appears to be moving through this week without a single vote cast against it.

That band is Joy Division. Really Jackson, S&G are not in the same league as Joy Division? I agree, but it is S&G in my view that is clearly superior.

These are merely opinions, and while they are not in agreement, I do recognize that Joy Division has graced us with some compelling music. Just not as much as Zeppelin or S&G in my view.

My guess is that JD is getting a - 3 from me next week, unless they are protected.

The Smiths are immune this week.

I think that is the nature of the game. Led Zeppelin is apparently a much more divisive band than Joy Division.

Simon & Garfunkel are my #17 of all-time, so I obviously disagree as well that they are out of their league.

There are still several artists that I don't care for at all left on this list, and Simon and Garfunkel are one of them. I just am more annoyed by the ones I've voted for.

I'm all for voting out the Smiths as soon as we get a chance. Until then:

-3 Sam Cooke
-2 Sly and the Family Stone
-1 Simon and Garfunkel

Who are the artists no one has voted for? Talking Heads,Stevie Wonder,Prince,Otis Redding,REM,Rolling Stones,Marvin Gaye,Joy Division. Not sure about a couple of those names,it's sort of surprising to see Joy Division get so far even if they are one of the most important bands in the last 35 years. Great to see soul more represented than usual...

-3 Sam Cooke
-2 Ray Charles
-1 James Brown

Yay! I watched the Super Bowl today (or tonight, in London it finished at 3am) and now know what the line of Scrimmage is! What a name!

Simon and Garfunkel are obviously an important group and have a few good tunes, but are so bland that it is hard for me to sit through any of their albums. I'd put them in a category with artists like Elton John and the Eagles that appeal to the classic rock crowd more than the AM crowd.

Joy Division, meanwhile, released two absolute classic albums and multiple untouchable singles. It could be argued that their discography is the least flawed out of any of the remaining artists, with its only knock being brevity. If you add the accomplishments of New Order--which is reasonably fair--then it's hard to dispute top-30 status (though I can see why you would personally dislike JD).

Jackson
Simon and Garfunkel are obviously an important group and have a few good tunes, but are so bland that it is hard for me to sit through any of their albums. I'd put them in a category with artists like Elton John and the Eagles that appeal to the classic rock crowd more than the AM crowd.

Slightly off-topic, but do you feel the same way about Graceland?

Actually, Midaso, Joy Division were almost eliminated at one point, but were saved by immunit by Jackson the next week.

As far as I know, the following artists have not recieved a vote the whole tournament:
Prince, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder.
I'm pretty sure Niel Young and the Heads both recieved an obscure vote early in the tournament.

Henry
Listyguy

It is difficult for me to understand how Zeppelin is getting beat down this week and Simon & Garfunkel is described as being out of their league compared to a band that appears to be moving through this week without a single vote cast against it.

That band is Joy Division. Really Jackson, S&G are not in the same league as Joy Division? I agree, but it is S&G in my view that is clearly superior.

These are merely opinions, and while they are not in agreement, I do recognize that Joy Division has graced us with some compelling music. Just not as much as Zeppelin or S&G in my view.

My guess is that JD is getting a - 3 from me next week, unless they are protected.

Joy Division is one of - if not - the only artist where I think everything they've ever done is impeccable. I can certainly see why not everyone would like Ian Curtis' voice, but I think it's great. To me, Curtis is the best lyricist of any rock frontman ever. Both Unknown Pleasures and Closer are masterpieces and I listen to them both reuglarly.

Since The Smiths are immune I'll have to go with

-3 Led Zeppelin
-2 Simon and Garfunkle
-1 Johnny Cash

I like all of those artists, but unfortunately they miss the cut.

SR
Henry
Listyguy

Joy Division is one of - if not - the only artist where I think everything they've ever done is impeccable. I can certainly see why not everyone would like Ian Curtis' voice, but I think it's great. To me, Curtis is the best lyricist of any rock frontman ever. Both Unknown Pleasures and Closer are masterpieces and I listen to them both reuglarly.

Since The Smiths are immune I'll have to go with

-3 Led Zeppelin
-2 Simon and Garfunkle
-1 Johnny Cash

I like all of those artists, but unfortunately they miss the cut.

I thoroughly appreciate the diversity of opinion and the thoughtful perspectives that most AMers provide. I do not agree at all with the view that Joy Division's efforts have been impeccable and while I can understand why others enjoy them, even their best moments are far from spectacular for me. Perhaps I need to pay more attention to their lyrics, and perhaps you could point out certain lyrics that you think are most impressive. I am more than a little bit interested in catching on with the love for JD. But, I'm not feeling it yet.

Henry

Joy Division will also be getting -3 from me next week.

This week, my vote goes to:
-3 Aretha Franklin
-2 OutKast
-1 Sam Cooke

Voting for the week is over. (And I can take a temporary sigh of relief.)