Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Artists with (to the best of your knowledge) only one album/single to their names

Who are some of your favorites?

Some of my favorite genres seem to be notorious for this, as the song/album in question just didn't take off, leaving the artist with a single artifact of their awesomeness!

Here's one I've just discovered that I love - Chemise's "She Can't Love You". Synth funk glory!

Re: Artists with (to the best of your knowledge) only one album/single to their names

Probably the La's, the Delta 5 and (so far) the Blood Arm.

Re: Artists with (to the best of your knowledge) only one album/single to their names

When In Rome.

Great question! As I scanned my spreadsheet of top songs and albums, I was amazed how hard it was (for me) to find such an artist. Does Jeff Buckley count?

Stardust is probably the best example, and I would argue it's the group with the most perfect discography.

I know Anthony is rather charmed by bands that have only had a very short lifespan, so he could probably come up with a few more good examples. I do share one favorite with him though: New Radicals. Their album "Maye You've Been Brainwashed Too" is one of the best albums ever made, and I still find it unbelievable it's not even in the top 3000.

Stephan
Stardust is probably the best example, and I would argue it's the group with the most perfect discography.

Indeed, Stardust and MARRS are the 2 that came to my mind immediately.

So far: the Avalanches, but I hear they're planning a follow-up

Stephan

Who is Stardust?

Some examples from 2000s rap:

Cannibal Ox
Deltron 3030
Madvillain

There have been rumors of new albums from these groups, but nothing concrete.

Moonbeam
Stephan

Who is Stardust?

Really? I thought this would have been up your alley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Os5ihedyH8

great thread.
with only a single official studio LP to their name:

jeff buckley
lovage
the zombies
remy shand
new radicals
the la's
st. germain
zwan
matthew jay
lauryn hill
the millennium
derek and the dominos
the avalanches
linda perhacs
tammi terrell

Nobodies mentioned the Sex Pistols? Seriously? I mean, their one album is pretty overrated, but it's still a top 100 album for me.

Also, The Postal Service
The Exploding Hearts
X-Ray Spex

Just to name a few.

tom
great thread.
with only a single official studio LP to their name:

jeff buckley
lovage
the zombies
remy shand
new radicals
the la's
st. germain
zwan
matthew jay
lauryn hill
the millennium
derek and the dominos
the avalanches
linda perhacs
tammi terrell

Although they didn't have much more, the Zombies had more than one studio album:
The Zombies (1965, U.S.)
Begin Here (1965, U.K.)
Odessey and Oracle (1968)
New World (1991)
As Far as I Can See... (2004)

also X-Ray Spex had their comeback album in 1995 called Conscious Consumer