Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Moderately Acclaimed Album 2: Round 1.3

This week's vote closes Sunday, January 23 at 11pm board time. Anyone can vote, but you have to have heard both albums. It's okay to only vote in one or two of the matchups if you don't have time to vote in all four.

This week's matches:

Division 1:
Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback vs
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising

Division 2:
Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Rising vs
Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex Girlfriend

Division 3:
The Knife - Deep Cuts vs
George Harrison - Cloud Nine

Division 4:
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour vs
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis

Midaso and Henry remain perfect in predict it, Henrik in third with 7/8.

Re: Best Moderately Acclaimed Album 2: Round 1.3

I'm in shock that I picked 6 winners!

Div. 1: Bruce
One of 2 his great 00's albums, probably the better of the two.

Div. 3: George
That's right, he's not just "All Things Must Pass"

The Rising
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Cloud Nine
Ella & Louis

Division 2:
Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Rising
Shouldn't that be "New Moon Daughter"?

And out of curiosity, Listyguy, have you actually heard "Jordan: The Comeback"? It's not exactly the most easily obtainable album.

Stephan
Division 2:
Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Rising
Shouldn't that be "New Moon Daughter"?

And out of curiosity, Listyguy, have you actually heard "Jordan: The Comeback"? It's not exactly the most easily obtainable album.

Just in case I have some difficulty finding "Jordan: The Comeback" - please provide at least one location for this album. I look forward to listening to Prefab Sprout since they are frequently compared to one of my faves - Todd Rundgren.

There are some used albums on amazon.com and iTunes has it as well. It's just not as easy to find 'free', and I'm making the assumption Listyguy is not buying all the albums.

and here's Bizarro-Greg at his utmost predictability:

Jordan: The Comeback
New Moon Daughter
Deep Cuts
Hex Enduction Hour

yawn

Go to Grooveshark.com, and you can stream the Prefab Sprout album there. That is how I intend to listen to it.

Jordan: The Comeback is on Rhapsody. I'm more worried about people's ability to vote in division 4 next week. Art Ensemble Of Chicago vs Laika, two of the rarest albums in the competition, both of which I only got to hear through Stephan's bucket drop thingy.

Yes, New Moon Daughter. Typological variation of Freudian slip.

BillAdama
Jordan: The Comeback is on Rhapsody. I'm more worried about people's ability to vote in division 4 next week. Art Ensemble Of Chicago vs Laika, two of the rarest albums in the competition, both of which I only got to hear through Stephan's bucket drop thingy.
I found Laika here:
http://unheard78.blogspot.com/2009/10/laika-sounds-of-satellites.html
AEOC is available on mediafire... can't vouch for the safety of either...

Vote: Bruce Springsteen

I'm not a huge fan of Bruce's 90's stuff, but this vote is easy. The Rising is an enjoyable album, whereas Jordan seems far more forced than the other Prefab album I've heard, Steve McQueen.

Vote: The Fall

I find Fitzgerald and Armstrong more talented performers than The Fall, but they happen to sing in a style that really shouldn't be processed and canned into radio length pop songs.

The other two matchups include my own nominations, so my votes will probably be rather predictable.

Division 1:
WINNER Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback

Division 2:
WINNER Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Rising

Division 3:
WINNER The Knife - Deep Cuts

Division 4:
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour
WINNER Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis

Four easy choice this week, specially for the last one, I really love Ella & Louis.

Division 1:
While both are good but overlong, Jordan has a wit and originality that The Rising crually lacks.

Division 1:

Both long, yes, but I don't think "The Rising" is overlong. Whereas "Jordan: The Comeback" sounds a little too samey at times and commits the cardinal sin of getting boring, "The Rising" stays interesting throughout.

Division 2:

"New Moon Rising" is quite good, but a bit too unemotional for my liking. Even though it's very relaxing it's all so unremarkable. "Crazy Ex Girlfriend" on the other hand is one of my favorite country albums of the past decade, so it wins.

Division 3:
The Knife - Deep Cuts vs

George uses some more sitar and sings about "when we was fab" and I'm supposed to think it's not simply a bad Tom Petty-ish concoction? Well, at least it's not a triple album that defined the world overlong. "Heartbeats" is one of the best songs of the '00s and while the rest of the album never quite reaches that height and goes downhill a bit after the first few songs it's very enjoyable.

Division 4:

Tough choice here with two entirely different albums. I think I'd prefer to listen to "Ella & Louis" on most given days, but I'm in the mood for the fantastic madness on "Hex Enduction Hour" right now.

My picks:

Division 1:
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising WINNER
Not a big fan of either album. Prefab Sprout is just not my thing, which doesn't speak badly of the album by any means. I was especially disappointed with the Springsteen album- I really don't think I've enjoyed any of his albums since before Born In The USA. I respect the guy a hell of a lot, but to me this music is (for the most part) simply boring. I doubt I would vote for it again, but in this round, it's the winner.

Division 2:
Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter WINNER
vs Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex Girlfriend
Interesting album, New Moon Daughter ("New Moon Rising" = Wilson/Husker Du mash?), whereas I'm not a fan of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend". Too much "I'm a simple rural gal who don't have much but will kick your ass" or something. Then again, modern mainstream country doesn't appeal to me much.

Division 3:
The Knife - Deep Cuts WINNER
vs George Harrison - Cloud Nine
I think the George Harrison album is okay, but Deep Cuts has an edge (no pun) and a catchiness that puts it on top. Fab.

Division 4:
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour WINNER
vs Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis
As much as I love my Ella (and Louis), this album just doesn't stand up to the raw grit of one of The Fall's finest.

Thanks!

Division 4:

It's always complicated to vote in match-ups with albums that much different. I would not say that one is album is better than the other but The Fall's music appeals to me more, I would not play Ella & Louis spontaneously, I would only use it for a dinner with a girl I guess... in which case it would probably set the mood perfectly

Brad

Division 2:
Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter WINNER
vs Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex Girlfriend
Interesting album, New Moon Daughter ("New Moon Rising" = Wilson/Husker Du mash?), whereas I'm not a fan of "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend". Too much "I'm a simple rural gal who don't have much but will kick your ass" or something. Then again, modern mainstream country doesn't appeal to me much.

I don't think it's fair to compare Miranda Lambert to modern mainstream country. People who mostly listen to mainstream country didn't like it. She does overplay the 'I'm a simple rural gal' thing, but mostly in the first half of the album, and I think the second half is stronger. It's country but it's got a rock guitar edge to it and a lot of intelligent, emotional songwriting. Presently my #213 all time.

I would compare her to Loretta Lynn, and lump her in stylistically with the likes of Lucinda Williams and Steve Earle. It's rural but not high and mighty or patronizing.

That being said I'm probably going to abstain from this match unless there's a tie to be broken. I liked New Moon Daughter a lot, but I find myself incapable of objectively comparing an album I just heard for the first time to one half of whose songs I've been humming to myself for the past four years.

BillAdama
That being said I'm probably going to abstain from this match unless there's a tie to be broken. I liked New Moon Daughter a lot, but I find myself incapable of objectively comparing an album I just heard for the first time to one half of whose songs I've been humming to myself for the past four years.

Admirable stance, BillAdama, but I don't know that we have to be so objective in this game. I think it's fair to bring your history with an album into this. I haven't yet listened to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, but I have enjoyed the few singles from it that I heard. I doubt, though, that it will break through my great, long-standing love for New Moon Daughter. I realize it is now impossible for me to be objective about this album. So go ahead and cancel out my subjective vote with yours, and let's be happy that we exposed each other to these albums.

Division 1:
Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback WINS over

I saw Bruce in concert a few years ago in San Jose, CA. He was awesome. I thoroughly enjoy many of Bruce's songs. But, The Rising was not that great in my view. That said, many of the songs on The Rising are worth a few listens (e.g., My City Of Ruins, Mary's Place, Countin' On A Miracle, Into The Fire, and Lonesome Day.

But, the Prefab Sprout album worked much better for me. I want to thank the folks who nominated Jordan: The Comeback, because it provided the appropriate motivation for me to give it a listen.

BillAdama
I don't think it's fair to compare Miranda Lambert to modern mainstream country.
You're right, I unfortunately succumbed to an easy generalization, the likes of which normally drive me crazy on these boards. I imagine it just shows my lack of understanding regarding the state of modern "country" music.

Regarding your vote, though- I agree you definitely should put one in for Miranda (assuming that's still your fave of the two). I think there are bound to be a number of these instances for all of us during the course of the contest...you just got to go with what you feel at the moment of reckoning!

1. Prefab Sprout, "Jordan: The Comeback" vs. Bruce Springsteen, "The Rising"
Winner: Prefab Sprout

I liked The Rising better than I thought I would, but there's still quite a bit that could be cut - let's start with the ten minutes of "Worlds Apart" and "Let's Be Friends" in the middle of the album, both of which are songs that bored me. Jordan: The Comeback might also be a little overlong, but the songs are varied enough to keep me interested.

Division 3:
The Knife - Deep Cuts vs

I did not expect much from an album whose main single is Got My Mind Set On You, that's an album you forget as soon as it ends, only the Beatles pastiche "When we was Fab" sounding offensive. On the other hand there aren't much hints in Deep Cuts of its incredible follow-up, except the fabulous Pass This On (I love Heartbeats too, but it kinda stands alone). A few very good dance songs, like You Take my Breath Away or Girls' Night Out are far enough to justify to pick this as the album which will lose against Summerteeth next round.

I'm sorry I haven't participated in this game until now and I don't have time to listen to the albums in division 2 and 4 this time either, but at least I have two clear winners:

Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback
The Knife - Deep Cuts

Division 1:

I totally dislike Springsteen. I guess there's always that huge groundbreaking critically acclaimed artist you dislike. He's mine. Still i can recognize all his efforts in music and as an influence to others. Prefab Sprout? One of the most underrated bands of their times! Jordan? The Comeback indeed.

Division 2:

My favorite country album of last decade closely followed by Loretta's and Miranda's own Revolution.

Division 3:
The Knife - Deep Cuts vs

It's not Silent Shout, but still excellent electronic music, good enough to beat the pleasant Cloud Nine.

Division 4:

Ella had amazing vocals, but this Fall album has been a favorite of mine from its decade since a few months.

Division 1: Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback
Division 2: Pass
Division 3: The Knife - Deep Cuts
Division 4: The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour

I suppose I'll go ahead and vote Miranda Lambert. I listened to New Moon Daughter again, and though I do think it's really good, I still prefer Crazy Ex Girlfriend.

Rhapsody annoyingly doesn't have Cloud Nine so I'll have to find some other way to hear it. (Not that that match is close.)

Sadly, I only had time this week to listen to one full matchup. That means I will not be able to soften the "fall" of my beloved Ella and Louis. I will eulogize it later. I'm sure Hex Induction Hour is deserving

But in the Wilson/Lambert matchup, I am voting for New Moon Daughter. I have some thoughts about both albums, but I am rushing out the door. Suffice it to say that I think Wilson's album is one of the finest albums to create and sustain a mood - in this case a sexy, dusky, languid yet slightly playful mood.This is a feeling we don't have much of on the AM 3000 board, as it is difficult to pull off with the kind of artistry and precision exhibited by WIlson and her collaborators.

Results:

Prefab Sprout - Jordan: The Comeback 8 def
Bruce Springsteen - The Rising 5

Cassandra Wilson - New Moon Daughter 4 TIED WITH
Miranda Lambert - Crazy Ex Girlfriend 4

The Knife - Deep Cuts 8 def
George Harrison - Cloud Nine 2

The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour 7 def
Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis 2

Next vote wins for the tied match.

BillAdama
Rhapsody annoyingly doesn't have Cloud Nine so I'll have to find some other way to hear it. (Not that that match is close.)
Yeah, I ended up purchasing it off itunes, but it's not a bad addition- save for the Shanghai Surprise song and the senseless extended version of "Got My Mind..."

Division 2:
Cassandra Wilson is one of the best contemporary Jazz/Fusion singers, and on New Moon Daughter she is at her peak.
Cassandra Wilson wins.

Cassandra Wilson wins.

Henry now has sole possession of the Predict It lead.

I seem to be doing exceptionally bad in Predict It!. I would've been better off picking my own favorites.