Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Recent discoveries of old classics

I thought it would be cool to have a thread about music we've discovered that isn't either current or part of a game here.

Over the past few weeks, I've totally fallen for the band The Sound, thanks to finding about them through an 80s poll I ran on another site. Post-punk is one of my favorite genres, so I'm a very easy sell with that kind of music, but there is something about The Sound that stands out.

Take a song like "Winning", for example. It sets that wonderful post-punk mood with the prominent bass line and tense atmosphere. A lot of bands could get away with this type of song and make it work as a sombre exercise, but two things distinguish it. First, the lyrics are about empowerment. That's right - a post-punk song about climbing from the depths of despair rather than wallowing in it. Add to that Adrian Borland's emotive, almost soulful vocals, and you've got a song that is far from standard. The guitar playing in the last minute seals the deal. This is a stone-cold classic!

Another song of theirs that I am really loving is "Missiles". Like "Winning", it sets a classic post-punk mood, with some icy synthesizers making it sound all very eerie. Again, the band could have gotten away with making the song an exercise in chilling atmosphere, but then the chorus comes in. A paranoid freakout of the highest order like this calls for some empassioned vocals, and Adrian Borland provides them to the hilt as the music boils over into quite the guttural tempest!

So far, I've only ventured through their first 2 albums, but what a precious find they are!

Re: Recent discoveries of old classics

Moonbeam
I thought it would be cool to have a thread about music we've discovered that isn't either current or part of a game here.

nominated them for BillAdarma's Moderated Music Thingy. didn't turn out that well... you're better off keeping your self-taste-propaganda stuff for the chosen bunch, Mr. Runner, cuz you already introduced them to your Recommend-an-album-thread and that step didn't help the "too fruitful to resist" movement in any way..

whatever, here's my take...

when even Scritti Politti did fail long term on AM, how can one expect to get that specific scottish bloke some publicity...

nj
Moonbeam

nominated them for BillAdarma's Moderated Music Thingy. didn't turn out that well... you're better off keeping your self-taste-propaganda stuff for the chosen bunch, Mr. Runner, cuz you already introduced them to your Recommend-an-album-thread and that step didn't help the "too fruitful to resist" movement in any way..

So how do The Sound's first 2 albums rate on the party/tonsil/toenail scale?

preferably::AND::deliberately party head..

nj, two of your nominations now rank among my all time favorites (Marquis de Sade and Laika). Why did you say they did not turn out well?

I need to find Jeopardy somewhere now too, since everybody here who listens to it raves about it, and I really like post-punk.

hey, i didn't say that my nominations didn't turn out that well... only that the Sound/Jeopardy one did.. and yeah, tell that straight to Mr. Mindrocker's and that Simpsons episode's face that Frenchies are not able to rock... and, believe me, MdS's debut is even better.. just imagine the bastard love child of Tom Verlaine and David Thomas

yeah, ok, fair enough... that quote was some kinda misleading...

nj
whatever, here's my take...

when even Scritti Politti did fail long term on AM, how can one expect to get that specific scottish bloke some publicity...

That's pretty excellent!

nj
preferably::AND::deliberately party head..

Awesome!

How about the CDs I got for Xmas?

Killing Joke - Killing Joke
The Chameleons - Script of the Bridge
Lene Lovich - Stateless
OMD - Organisation
Salt 'n Pepa - Hot, Cool & Vicious
Salt 'n Pepa - Blacks' Magic

spot on and suitably Moonbeam... though i thought you'd already own Stateless...

nj
spot on and suitably Moonbeam... though i thought you'd already own Stateless...

Just a Lene Lovich comp prior to this!

k, that's a steven... btw, i've recently introduced HRS to Lydia Lunch's Queen Of Siam. he was pretty.. - well, excuse me, i need to validate that statement; hence..

HRS, you were enthusiastic about it, right?

- well, let's just say he liked it: thus... your shopping list won't get any shorter that way... hit me up for my next recommendzees... by-eee, you're my favourite customer..

nj
k, that's a steven... btw, i've recently introduced HRS to Lydia Lunch's Queen Of Siam. he was pretty.. - well, excuse me, i need to validate that statement; hence..

HRS, you were enthusiastic about it, right?

- well, let's just say he liked it: thus... your shopping list won't get any shorter that way... hit me up for my next recommendzees... by-eee, you're my favourite customer..

I really liked that chick! She is awesome and a breathe of fresh air, totally dig it!