The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Outkast, seriously goddamn

Who the hell doesn't love these guys?

Irrespective of the consistently forward-thinking, expansive, just plain fucking amazing albums (plus Big Boi's stunner) they have put out some of the greatest singles not just of recent years but genuinely all time. I still get tingles each time I hear the intro to Ms. Jackson, I find something new in B.O.B. on every listen and Hey Ya remains, to my mind, one of the greatest all-encompassing, all-unifying pop songs that will ever be recorded.

It's difficult not to gush. They are so tip-top. It's hardly news to anyone but I often forget quite how wonderful they are. And I've barely even scratched their pre-00s output which I'm gonna dig deep into this year.

They're going down as one of the greats, amiright?

Re: Outkast, seriously goddamn

I heard someone call "B.O.B." old school the other day, and it still sounds to me like it was recorded yesterday.

Fantastic group. Stankonia was my #4 for the decade.

Jonathon
I heard someone call "B.O.B." old school the other day, and it still sounds to me like it was recorded yesterday.

It still sounds to me like it was recorded ten years into the future.

(And since Stankonia is ten years old, doesn't that mean everything now should now sound as awesome as "B.O.B."?)

I had them as #5 in the Artists poll last year. Definitely listen to their 90's stuff too, their first 2 records are great listens & Aquemini might be my favorite of theirs on any given day. There's talk of Andre 3000 releasing a solo album followed by a new Outkast album this year, it would make my 2011 if it winds up being true.

Ddiamondd
They're going down as one of the greats, amiright?

Yup. Aquemini might be their best album - it's got this fantastic conversationalist feel. Like you're just chilling with a 40 and bullshitting. Their first two are great too, and probably the hallmark records for southern hip-op. Only thing I would say is that if you're not really into hip-hop, the first three are much less "rockist" then Stankonia and Speakerboxxx/TLB.

plus ATLiens is their veriest ownest personal "Controversy"

beefsupreme
I had them as #5 in the Artists poll last year. Definitely listen to their 90's stuff too, their first 2 records are great listens & Aquemini might be my favorite of theirs on any given day. There's talk of Andre 3000 releasing a solo album followed by a new Outkast album this year, it would make my 2011 if it winds up being true.

Aquemini is the type of record that to me falls into the "screwed in terms of acclaim music score by falling before the breakthrough hit". Aquemini is at least better than Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below, and pretty close to Stankonia.

I totally agree with AMG rating Aquemini and Stankonia as 5s, and Speakerboxxx as a 4.5.