The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
artists whose most acclaimed albums aren't your favorite

01. The Beatles- most acclaimed: Revolver/ Favorite: "The White Album"
02. Neil Young- most acclaimed After the Gold Rush/ favorite: On The Beach)
03. Prince- most acclaimed: Sign O The Times/ favorite: Purple Rain
04. R.E.M.- most acclaimed: Automatic for the People / favorite: Murmur
05. Tom Waits- most acclaimed: Swordfishtrombones/ favorite: Rain Dogs
06. Elvis Presley- most acclaimed: Elvis Presley/ favorite: From Elvis in Memphis)
07. PJ Harvey- most acclaimed: To Bring You My Love / favorite: Rid of Me
08. Joy Division- most acclaimed: Closer/ favorite: Unknown Pleasures
09. Nick Drake- most acclaimed: Five Leaves Left/ favorite: Pink Moon
10. Pavement- most acclaimed: Slanted & Enchanted/ favorite: Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
11. The white Stripes- most acclaimed: Elephant/ favorite: White Blood Cells
12. Portishead- most acclaimed: Dummy / favorite: Third
13. Pearl Jam- most acclaimed: Ten/ favorite: Vitalogy
14. TV on the Radio- most acclaimed: Return to Cookie Mountain / favorite: Dear Science
15. Talk Talk- most acclaimed: Spirit of Eden/ Favorite: Laughing Stock
16. Daft Punk- most acclaimed: Homework/ favorite: Discovery
17. Weezer- most acclaimed: Weezer (The Blue Album) / favorite: Pinkerton
18. Willie Nelson- most acclaimed: Red Headed Stranger/ Favorite: Stardust
19. The Waterboys- most acclaimed: This Is The sea / favorite: Fisherman's Blues
20. The Decemberists- most acclaimed: The Crane Wife/ favorite: Castaways and Cutouts.

Re: artists whose most acclaimed albums aren't your favorite

I also prefer Murmur over Automatic (and God knows a lot of their 80s albums over Out of Time and others) and i've been noticing that critics are slightly starting to see Rid of Me as PJ Harvey's seminal 90s album instead of Love and Stories from the City as her overall best. It's very hard to pick a favorite Polly album: Love is the one i admire the most, Rid of Me the one I play the most, Dry and Stories are accessible and also played a lot, though Uh Huh Her and Is This Desire are both raw and experimental in parts, so it's tough to pick between her 4 top 500 records. Maybe it's because i'm a fan.

Jonathon
01. The Beatles- most acclaimed: Revolver/ Favorite: "The White Album"
02. Neil Young- most acclaimed After the Gold Rush/ favorite: On The Beach)
03. Prince- most acclaimed: Sign O The Times/ favorite: Purple Rain
04. R.E.M.- most acclaimed: Automatic for the People / favorite: Murmur
05. Tom Waits- most acclaimed: Swordfishtrombones/ favorite: Rain Dogs
06. Elvis Presley- most acclaimed: Elvis Presley/ favorite: From Elvis in Memphis)
07. PJ Harvey- most acclaimed: To Bring You My Love / favorite: Rid of Me
08. Joy Division- most acclaimed: Closer/ favorite: Unknown Pleasures
09. Nick Drake- most acclaimed: Five Leaves Left/ favorite: Pink Moon
10. Pavement- most acclaimed: Slanted & Enchanted/ favorite: Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
11. The white Stripes- most acclaimed: Elephant/ favorite: White Blood Cells
12. Portishead- most acclaimed: Dummy / favorite: Third
13. Pearl Jam- most acclaimed: Ten/ favorite: Vitalogy
14. TV on the Radio- most acclaimed: Return to Cookie Mountain / favorite: Dear Science
15. Talk Talk- most acclaimed: Spirit of Eden/ Favorite: Laughing Stock
16. Daft Punk- most acclaimed: Homework/ favorite: Discovery
17. Weezer- most acclaimed: Weezer (The Blue Album) / favorite: Pinkerton
18. Willie Nelson- most acclaimed: Red Headed Stranger/ Favorite: Stardust
19. The Waterboys- most acclaimed: This Is The sea / favorite: Fisherman's Blues
20. The Decemberists- most acclaimed: The Crane Wife/ favorite: Castaways and Cutouts.

Discovery will be Daft Punk's most acclaimed album within a year or two. It's already catching up quickly.

The big one for me is Bob Marley. How is Natty Dread his most acclaimed? It has 1 good song. Exodus is my favorite.

The Walkmen: i prefer You & Me or Lisbon over Bows + Arrows
Oasis: Definitely Maybe over Morning Glory
Nirvana: In Utero over Nevermind (at least to me!)
The Libertines: Self-titled over debut album
Fiona Apple: When The Pawn and Extraordinary Machine over Tidal
Feist: Let It Die over The Reminder
Erykah Badu: New Amerykah, Pt. 1 over Baduizm
Bjork: Homogenic and Post over Debut (for a close margin)

I realized that i don't have as many problems with the most critically acclaimed albums inside a discography as with the second and/or third, like: Dark Side of the Moon is the best by Pink Floyd, but i prefer Wish You Were Here over The Wall and Piper or Fleetwood Mac's Tusk over their second self-titled, stuff like that...

Listyguy, I missed that one. Exodus is a beast; probably half of his top 10 songs come from that record.

Bjork: Vespertine and Post over Debut. Even Homogenic was better. Bjork made better and better albums all the way through Vespertine but keeps losing acclaim with each album she puts out. I don't get that.

Liz Phair: Whitechocolatespaceegg over Exile in Guyville. One of the true underrated gems of the 90s. This was the same album as PJ Harvey's Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea. Well produced but still sexy and much more confidant. She made money and wanted to make an album that sounded like it was well produced. Anybody would do the same thing and if this were ANY other artist on the planet who made this album it would have gotten rave reviews. Listen to Best Coast. There's a lot of similarites between her album and this one. Lofi songwriting was as dated as the actual sound of lofi.

Suede: Coming Up over Suede. Best explanation for this one was Bernard Butler left the band and they weren't accepted as being the REAL Suede without him

Sigur Ros: Takk over Agætis Byrjun I guess it was too straightfoward for their biggest fans but there's not a bad song on this album

Blonde Redhead: 23 over Misery as a Butterfly. Both good albums but I remember when 23 came out it was the most talked about and played album of the beginning of 2007. People absolutely loved it and Blonde Redhead were the most talked about indie band for the first half of 07. The album just died. It was the definition of a hipster album. Something else came out that was thought to be better than 23 and the album was yesterdays NEWS. I've never seen an album lose more hype than 23 and it deserves better than that. Shame on you for forgetting about what you at one point thought was the coolest album on the planet. It's as bad as those Golden Globes who will nominate anything as long as it comes out in November or Decemeber beacause these movies are easier to remember (Burlesque over the Runaways Movie???)

Pulp: This is Hardcore over Different Class. Two classic records back to back but Hardcore has more heart and prettier ballads.

Camera Obscura: Underachievers Please Try Harder over Let's Get Out of this Country. Yes always compared to Belle and Sebastian but also compared to Phil Spectors girl groups from his Wall of Sound. Spector prouduced bands that sounded great but sounded very similar. Stuart Murdoch produced Underachievers...so if it sounded like a Belle and Sebastian side project it really was but not a fault of their own. The vocals were obviously what seperated them the most and to me vocals count for everything (which explains my hated for Pavement).

Gomez: Split the Difference over Bring it On. Late 90s britpoponly got a bad wrap because of Robbie Williams who made great songs and for Oasis not being able to follow up with anything as brilliant as their first two records. So it was hard being a late 90s british band and getting notice after their first couple of records. Split the Difference was their most british sounding album to date and had no flaws in it at all.

British Sea Power: Do You Like Rock Music? over the Decline of British Sea Power. It got a lot of comparisons to Neon Bible but to me it sounded like something out of the early 90s britpop/shoegaze era which is when the best british music of the 90s was released.

More to come. This is just off the top of my head

1. Bob Dylan
Highway 61 Revisited > Blonde on Blonde
2. Jimi Hendrix
Electric Ladyland > Are You Experienced
3. Kanye West
Late Registration > The College Dropout
4. Pavement
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain > Slanted and Enchanted
5. Smashing Pumpkins
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness > Siamese Dream
6. The Flaming Lips
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots > The Soft Bulletin
7. Daft Punk
Discovery > Homework
8. Big Star
Radio City > Third /Sister Lovers
9. Steely Dan
Aja > Pretzel Logic
10. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Hot Rats > We're Only In it For the Money
11. Weezer
Pinkerton > Weezer (The Blue Album)
12. PJ Harvey
Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea > To Bring You My Love

Dear Science > Return to Cookie Mountain

Mezzanine > Blue Lines

Tim E
Bjork: Vespertine and Post over Debut. Even Homogenic was better. Bjork made better and better albums all the way through Vespertine but keeps losing acclaim with each album she puts out. I don't get that.

Liz Phair: Whitechocolatespaceegg over Exile in Guyville. One of the true underrated gems of the 90s. This was the same album as PJ Harvey's Stories From the City, Stories from the Sea. Well produced but still sexy and much more confidant. She made money and wanted to make an album that sounded like it was well produced. Anybody would do the same thing and if this were ANY other artist on the planet who made this album it would have gotten rave reviews. Listen to Best Coast. There's a lot of similarites between her album and this one. Lofi songwriting was as dated as the actual sound of lofi.

Suede: Coming Up over Suede. Best explanation for this one was Bernard Butler left the band and they weren't accepted as being the REAL Suede without him

Sigur Ros: Takk over Agætis Byrjun I guess it was too straightfoward for their biggest fans but there's not a bad song on this album

Blonde Redhead: 23 over Misery as a Butterfly. Both good albums but I remember when 23 came out it was the most talked about and played album of the beginning of 2007. People absolutely loved it and Blonde Redhead were the most talked about indie band for the first half of 07. The album just died. It was the definition of a hipster album. Something else came out that was thought to be better than 23 and the album was yesterdays NEWS. I've never seen an album lose more hype than 23 and it deserves better than that. Shame on you for forgetting about what you at one point thought was the coolest album on the planet. It's as bad as those Golden Globes who will nominate anything as long as it comes out in November or Decemeber beacause these movies are easier to remember (Burlesque over the Runaways Movie???)

Pulp: This is Hardcore over Different Class. Two classic records back to back but Hardcore has more heart and prettier ballads.

Camera Obscura: Underachievers Please Try Harder over Let's Get Out of this Country. Yes always compared to Belle and Sebastian but also compared to Phil Spectors girl groups from his Wall of Sound. Spector prouduced bands that sounded great but sounded very similar. Stuart Murdoch produced Underachievers...so if it sounded like a Belle and Sebastian side project it really was but not a fault of their own. The vocals were obviously what seperated them the most and to me vocals count for everything (which explains my hated for Pavement).

Gomez: Split the Difference over Bring it On. Late 90s britpoponly got a bad wrap because of Robbie Williams who made great songs and for Oasis not being able to follow up with anything as brilliant as their first two records. So it was hard being a late 90s british band and getting notice after their first couple of records. Split the Difference was their most british sounding album to date and had no flaws in it at all.

British Sea Power: Do You Like Rock Music? over the Decline of British Sea Power. It got a lot of comparisons to Neon Bible but to me it sounded like something out of the early 90s britpop/shoegaze era which is when the best british music of the 90s was released.

Just thought of another
Modest Mouse: Good News For People Who Love Bad New over The Moon and Antartica. Two words on why the critics perfer Moon over Good New: "Float On" People had the nerve to say they sold out because they had a hit single. They were an emo band at the height of their popularity and you're a fool if you thought they sounded like any other emo band past or present. You're a poor excuse for a Modest Mouse fan if you turned on them for having a hit record and a flawless one at that.

Kinda bored at work, so here we go :

Top 100 artists
The Rolling Stones
most acclaimed : Exile on Main St.
fav : Beggars ? Let it Bleed ? Sticky ? Just don't like Exile much...
Led Zeppelin
most acclaimed : IV
fav : Led Zeppelin
Beach Boys
even though not a huge fan of any, I would take Surf's Up over Pet Sounds
Beck
most acclaimed : Odelay
fav : Midnite Vultures
The Stooges
most acclaimed : Fun House
fav : Raw Power
only 7 places between them in AM though
Massive attack
Most acclaimed : Blue Lines
fav : Mezzanine
The White Stripes
Add me in the White Blood Cells over Elephant trend
Metallica
Most acclaimed : Master of Puppets
fav : Ride the Lightning
Pavement
Most acclaimed : Slanted & Enchanted
fav : Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
And I don't remember whose favorite song ever Fillmore Jive is, but it sure is my fav Pavement song now !
Leonard Cohen
Most acclaimed : Songs of Leonard Cohen
fav : Songs of Love and Hate

Personal favs :
Built to Spill
most acclaimed : There's Nothing Wrong with love
favorite : Perfect From Now On
Only 24 places between them in AM however, so we could say that get the same acclaim
Animal Collective
most acclaimed : Merriweather Post Pavilion
favorite : Feels, maybe Strawberry Jam... clearly not MPP anyway
Ghostface Killah
most acclaimed : Supreme Clientele
favorite : Fishscale (small margin though)
The Hives
most acclaimed : Veni Vidi Vicious
favorite : Tyrannosaurus Hives

Tim E
Tim E

Just thought of another
Modest Mouse: Good News For People Who Love Bad New over The Moon and Antartica. Two words on why the critics perfer Moon over Good New: "Float On" People had the nerve to say they sold out because they had a hit single. They were an emo band at the height of their popularity and you're a fool if you thought they sounded like any other emo band past or present. You're a poor excuse for a Modest Mouse fan if you turned on them for having a hit record and a flawless one at that.

I hated Good News because it wasn't an interesting or inspired record. In my opinion of course. If "3rd Planet" had been a #1 hit single that and M&A had sold 4 million copies, I'd still love that album.

I like both Moon and Antarctica AND Lonesome Crowded West more than Good News.

HRS
I also prefer Murmur over Automatic (and God knows a lot of their 80s albums over Out of Time and others) and i've been noticing that critics are slightly starting to see Rid of Me as PJ Harvey's seminal 90s album instead of Love and Stories from the City as her overall best. It's very hard to pick a favorite Polly album: Love is the one i admire the most, Rid of Me the one I play the most, Dry and Stories are accessible and also played a lot, though Uh Huh Her and Is This Desire are both raw and experimental in parts, so it's tough to pick between her 4 top 500 records. Maybe it's because i'm a fan.

Out of Time has no business in the top 500 of all time; maybe not even the top 1000. And this is coming from a hardcore R.E.M. fan.

I always thought Reckoning and Life's Rich Pageant belonged in the top 500 of all time; two fine records displaying a band in their peak.

For me the only great albums R.E.M. released after leaving IRS for Warner Bros were Automatic For the People (my #2 R.E.M. record) and New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Green is okay. Out of Time has two good songs. Monster has one good song. Accelerate has a lot of good songs but no great songs that stand among their best classics.

HRS

White Chalk is another masterpiece. Very beautiful and haunting songs. I'm suprised it's not ranked higher. It was a much better record than I expected it to be especially since you hear very little guitar in favor of harp, piano, violin and even banjo. The title track alone is one of her best songs to date.

This topic has come up from time to time:

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3172289350&frmid=10&msgid=902373&cmd=show

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3172289350&frmid=10&msgid=923222&cmd=show

See the latter for my befuddled response to Tim E's love for whitechocolatespaceegg.

I'll add the following to my list from the previous thread:

Some Girls and Let It Bleed > Exile on Main St.
Highway 61 Revisited > Blonde on Blonde (just a 4 spot difference, but still)
Purple Rain > Sign O The Times
Murmur, Document, Life's Rich Pageant, and Monster > Automatic for the People
Fear of Music > Remain in Light
Bookends > Bridge Over Troubled Water
#1 Record > Radio City
XO and From a Basement on a Hill > Either/Or

Tim E
HRS

White Chalk is another masterpiece. Very beautiful and haunting songs. I'm suprised it's not ranked higher. It was a much better record than I expected it to be especially since you hear very little guitar in favor of harp, piano, violin and even banjo. The title track alone is one of her best songs to date.

Don't even tell me about it! "Scratch my palms, there's blood on my hands". I can't believe i forgot to mention it! I suck! xD

I really like White Chalk and many PJ fans overlook it, to me was a brave, passionate album, she was really inspired. Too bad it was kinda overlooked by american critics and inside EODs because of Stories. Let England Shake is also shaping to be one of her greats. Chills when the Let it Burn samples comes out and fits the song incredibly well. I really enjoyed The Last Living Rose and Written on the Forehead.

About the R.E.M. comment made by Jonathon i do agree, their 80s albums should've rank higher and Out of Time is very overrated. I do enjoy their Warner years, but they do rank extremely high, they're not bad albums, they're just not top 500 material, i always thought it was only me though, nice to see other people in other topics agreeing. Those albums have their charms and great share of tracks: Hi-Fi, Green, Monster, Up! and i don't see anything that wrong about their placements, but with Out of Time is different, since is not an album full of Losing My Religions or terrific songs like Automatic for the People is, which is what some people think when they see that record inside the top 400.

And i enjoyed reading the other two topics too. I like whitechocolate, but i do LOVE Exile in Guyville, and kill me, but i love when Phair screams "baby i'm tired". it's like: she was breaking boundaries speaking of sex, exs, love and relationships in such a unique point of view during the whole album and suddenly she gives up and just want somebody to love and how fuckin wrong she and the others around them were, it was the perfect closing of what might be the perfect relationship record by a woman. But spaceegg is underrated, a very good album, so is Tori Amos's Pele (the melody of Doughnut Song is chilling) andI used to think Under the Pink was better than Earthquakes, but then i realized that it was because it is her most cohesive record and the definition of the Tori Amos sound. Hissing of Summer Lawns is the yang for Blue's yin. Cynical, jazzy, social, it should rank higher inside the top 600. And i've been enjoying Jane Birkin and Serge, but i don't know if enough to kick Nelson's ass.

Honestly, HRS, many R.E.M. fans I know are much more into the early stuff. The early stuff is just so seminal, so important. It was arguably the point where punk and post-punk became alternative rock.

With the exception of Automatic and some of their later hits, I consider WB era R.E.M. very generic. There's just something they never recaptured.

And for the record, it has nothing to do with "selling out". I think it has more to do with them releasing 5 great albums in a row at a rate of one a year, which most artists just can't swing. I think they just wore themselves out artistically, and ran out of good ideas, and Automatic was kind of a last hurrah.

Jonathon
Honestly, HRS, many R.E.M. fans I know are much more into the early stuff. The early stuff is just so seminal, so important. It was arguably the point where punk and post-punk became alternative rock.

With the exception of Automatic and some of their later hits, I consider WB era R.E.M. very generic. There's just something they never recaptured.

And for the record, it has nothing to do with "selling out". I think it has more to do with them releasing 5 great albums in a row at a rate of one a year, which most artists just can't swing. I think they just wore themselves out artistically, and ran out of good ideas, and Automatic was kind of a last hurrah.

I don't think R.E.M. sold out either, i think it was a mix of weak tracks and sometimes the wrong production. It didn't have to sound more indie, or nothing, just the production that overall didn't bring the best of the tracks out. Automatic was well-produced and it was a terrific album released in a Major, so it's not about selling out or having a good production, as much as having album with too many misses, even when they had an incredibly high HIT in terms of quality (Losing my Religion). The misses are something their 80s album fortunately lacks, they are overall more consistent releases. It's also about historic importance, Murmur basically invented Alt. Rock and their 90 albums are more about the commercial momentum they built and when they jointed commercial and quality like in Automatic, they delivered one of the top 10 of that decade. I don't think a "more indie" Out of Time would make that album any better.

I will refrain from listing albums that are still in the top 100, even though they aren't the highest (sorry Beatles, REM, Joy Division, Clash, and Pixies).

Pearl Jam: No Code; Vs.
Phish: A Picture of Nectar
Lou Reed: Metal Machine Music; New York
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
David Bowie: Heroes
The Who Sell Out
Bruce Springsteen: Darkness on the Edge of Town; The River
Pere Ubu: Dub Housing; 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
Nirvana: In Utero
Public Enemy: Apocalypse '91 - The Enemy Strikes Black
Massive Attack: Protection
Al Green: The Belle Album
Steely Dan: Can't Buy a Thrill
Amon Tobin: Bricolage
Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell
Jefferson Airplane: Volunteers (Maybe it's the notoriously bad remastering of the CD, but I have never gotten the hype for Surrealistic Pillow. I can name over 10 albums from 1967 that were more adventurous and better.)
Ornette Coleman: Dancing in Your Head
Jim O'Rourke: Bad Timing
Joni Mitchell: Hejira
Simon and Garfunkel: Bookends
2Pac: Me Against the World

among many others. Even though this topic IS a repeat of mine 2 years ago (linked above by Schwah), I actually think it's good that I had an opportunity to share an update. I started that thread for myself to discover lesser acclaimed but equal or superior works. I didn't make my own list; it was for my personal information. I've had 2 years to listen out on my own, and now I can post some results.

Also, I agree with every one of Tim E's choices (except Modest Mouse).

the very first one that comes to my mind whenever i notice threads like these is still Steely Dan's Gaucho... and The Dreaming... and Mind Bombing.. and Body & Soul... and The Gift... and Our Favourite Shop... and The Ideal Copy... and Ray Gun Suitcase... and... and... sigh, in other words: saturated surgical smugitistry, you're finally doing it right... while no one doesn't give a scat anymore

Sean Pak

Jefferson Airplane: I have never gotten the hype for Surrealistic Pillow. I can name over 10 albums from 1967 that were more adventurous and better.

After Bathing At Baxter's, e.g.

Erm, just about all of them would be my answer.

Moonbeam
Erm, just about all of them would be my answer.

No prizes for guessing the one at the top of your list...

another came to mind.
Ash: Free All Angels to 1977 which I didn't really care for at all. They were young and cute and if they weren't from the UK (or Ireland) they'd have been talented for their age but British teen bands can still put out amazing records and this really wasn't expect their classic Girl from Mars. They really grew up and grew into full out superstars with Free All Angels and it really deserved all it's success. This is one of the rare albums where their b-sides are even better than their singles so if they saved those b-sides for an actual LP who knows how much bigger they would have become.

Also Life on Other Planets is about equally as good if not better than Supergrass' I Should Coco. Their acclaim keeps plummeting every time they release something new. If this had come out after Coco it would have indeed been as acclaimed as their classic debut. There's now way in hell their mediocre 3rd album should be outranking Life on Other Planets.