Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grammy nominations came out yesterday...

Record of the Year

Nothin' On You - B.o.B Featuring Bruno Mars
Love The Way You Lie - Eminem Featuring Rihanna
F*** You - Cee Lo Green
Empire State Of Mind - Jay-Z & Alicia Keys
Need You Now - Lady Antebellum

Album of the Year

The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
Recovery - Eminem
Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
The Fame Monster - Lady Gaga
Teenage Dream - Katy Perry

Song of the Year

Beg Steal Or Borrow - Ray LaMontagne, songwriter (Ray LaMontagne And The Pariah Dogs)
F*** You - Cee Lo Green, Philip Lawrence & Bruno Mars, songwriters (Cee Lo Green)
The House That Built Me - Tom Douglas & Allen Shamblin, songwriters (Miranda Lambert)
Love The Way You Lie - Alexander Grant, Holly Hafferman & Marshall Mathers, songwriters (Eminem
Featuring Rihanna)
Need You Now - Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley & Hillary Scott, songwriters (Lady
Antebellum)

I think the nominees are halfway decent this year. I know Arcade Fire won't win, but it'd be pretty awesome if they did. Same goes for Ray LaMontagne.

Re: Grammy nominations came out yesterday...

I bet Lady Antebellum will win,it just fits in with the way they've normally gone in the past...

Haha, Katy Perry for album of the year. Classic.

I looked at all the nominations this morning and the one thing that stood out to me, the clash between what is considered great by many and not popular and the ones that are complete shite but extremely popular. This contradiction has existed for years, but it the gap between the two seems even wider than it has ever been. Sad part is, come grammy night, popularity might win out because its all about ratings. That is why Katy Freekin Perry and Justin Beiber performed and that horrible thing they call a nomination concert!!!

True...

it's nothing new. Look at the nominations in the major categories through the years, and it's full of safe, commercial acts/material a lot times. Nominating acts like Arcade Fire and Eminem shows that there are baby steps being taken in the past 13-14 years or so, but then you get a Katy Perry for Album of the Year? On the flip side, it's not called "Best Album of the Year."

Arcade Fire is going to pull off a Kid A and In Rainbows snob. Can't believe these two album lost their years and i don't even want to see for whom they lost the "award". Give an AM list of best of the year and all time any day over a Grammy and its history of winners.

Midaso
I bet Lady Antebellum will win,it just fits in with the way they've normally gone in the past...

I agree. Usually I do quite well with my gut instincts for what I think will win after the nominations are announced, and Lady Antebellum seemed to be the only "safe" winner that would attract a lot of the old voters.

I think most people will put their bets on an overdue act like Eminem, but the Grammys don't seem to love bestowing their top prizes on the rap albums.

Also guess who is competing among the five acts for Best New Artist. Florence + The Machine, and...Justin Bieber!

The grammies aren't for music fans. They're for celebrity fans with a passing interest in music.

Why there's something telling me that next year the album of the year will be: Taylor Swift's Speak Now vs. Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Now that's a crazy grammy moment i'd like to watch.

Beyonce: And the Grammy of Album of the Year goes to...Taylor Swift Speak Now
Beyonce: I just like to say that Kanye recorded one of the best albums of ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME!
KW: The Grammy doesn't care about black people!

and then Taylor would write another song about this.

OMG it'd be Wu-Tang is for the kids all over again

If it weren't for Cee-lo and Arcade fire, these nominations would all be horrible. aside from those three, though, I'm throwing up.

Listyguy
If it weren't for Cee-lo and Arcade fire, these nominations would all be horrible. aside from those three, though, I'm throwing up.

Ray LaMontagne and Jay-Z are good. B.O.B. and Gaga are decent. (Half that Gaga EP is solid electropop singles. The rest...isn't.)

The House That Built Me is an awesome song though.

BillAdama
Also guess who is competing among the five acts for Best New Artist. Florence + The Machine, and...Justin Bieber!

The grammies aren't for music fans. They're for celebrity fans with a passing interest in music.

Well Bierber was nominated for a BET award so maybe the voters thought nominating him would give them street cred. Maybe he has potential since he is a multi instrumentalisnt. You can't take someone seriously til their voice changes however. Who knows maybe he'll have a voice like Scott Walker, David Bowie or even Isaac Hayes.

Taylor Swift already has potential and critical acclaim. I think her best work will come out when she turns 40 like Bonnie Raitt and Lucinda Williams.

Joan
Beyonce: And the Grammy of Album of the Year goes to...Taylor Swift Speak Now
Beyonce: I just like to say that Kanye recorded one of the best albums of ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME!
KW: The Grammy doesn't care about black people!

and then Taylor would write another song about this.

OMG it'd be Wu-Tang is for the kids all over again

A 2x best album winner at 21? Even people here,dismissive as they are of the grammies,would have to admit that would be a significant achievement...

I know it probably won't happen, but Arcade Fire actually does have a chance to win. Even though Emeinem probably will (voters love a comeback.) I'll be forcing my mom to vote for all the right picks though

I also hope AF wins... And i still don't get how Month of May was a single and Sprawl 2 wasn't... It is a hell of a pop song, my favorite vocals from Regine, better than Haiti, In The Back Seat,... I really like the song, the refrain, the way she says mountain beyond mountains and i need the darkness someone please cut the light are amazingly well delivered. sounds like a lost new wave-y Bjork meets Fever Ray track. i love it.

Tim E
BillAdama

Well Bierber was nominated for a BET award so maybe the voters thought nominating him would give them street cred. Maybe he has potential since he is a multi instrumentalisnt. You can't take someone seriously til their voice changes however. Who knows maybe he'll have a voice like Scott Walker, David Bowie or even Isaac Hayes.

I think they were trying to get higher ratings from the preadolescent female demo.

Does Bieber even write any of his own songs? Isn't that usually a prerequisite for being an artist?

BillAdama

I think they were trying to get higher ratings from the preadolescent female demo.

Does Bieber even write any of his own songs? Isn't that usually a prerequisite for being an artist?

Milli Vanilli begs to differ.

BillAdama

Isn't that usually a prerequisite for being an artist?

That's a pretty big call - look at some artists who didn't write much of their own stuff - Elvis Presley,Aretha Franklin,Dusty Springfield,Dionne Warwick,The Temptations,The Supremes etc...

X
BillAdama

That's a pretty big call - look at some artists who didn't write much of their own stuff - Elvis Presley,Aretha Franklin,Dusty Springfield,Dionne Warwick,The Temptations,The Supremes etc...

Of course the songwriters at Motown, Stax, etc., were fantastic, but it's up to the performers to make the songs as great as they are.

Alex D
X
BillAdama

Of course the songwriters at Motown, Stax, etc., were fantastic, but it's up to the performers to make the songs as great as they are.

Which is another eason Bieber is horrible...he just sings out of tune, his voice gets autotuned by a producer, and that's that. Not even the instruments are real!