The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unacclaimed Week 7

Welcome to Week 7!

Please listen to the songs before making your choice, and provide comments (however brief) to form the basis of your pick.

The deadline for Week 7 is 11:59 PM, November 13th AM time.

You can read the descriptions of why these songs were nominated in the rules thread.

Match 25:

Utopia- "The Ikon": (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)
The Jayhawks- "Will I Be Married"

Match 26:

The Stone Roses- "Elephant Stone"
Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis"

Match 27:

Lisa Germano- "Puppet"
Deerhoof- "Milk Man"

Match 28:

Nirvana- "Rainbow Chaser"
Rob Dougan- Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix)

Bring it!

Re: Unacclaimed Week 7

How did my selection (And The Craddle Will Rock) manage to be in the lastt week of round 1?

Listyguy
How did my selection (And The Craddle Will Rock) manage to be in the lastt week of round 1?

I randomized the order of all 64 songs, then switched songs to adjacent brackets if necessary so that songs nominated by the same person wouldn't face each other until at least Round 3.

"And the Cradle Will Rock" actually came out as Song #64!

Match 25:
1) Utopia - "The Ikon"
2) The Jayhawks - "Will I Be Married"
Harmonicarrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !
Je n'aime aucune des deux chansons mais l'harmonica est simplement insuportable sur la deuxième chanson.
Donc Utopia gagne, par défaut.

Match 26:
1) Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis"
2) The Stone Roses - "Elephant Stone"
The link is not the good one for Stone Roses. C'est une bonne chanson que celle des Stone Roses, j'aurais largement pu la faire gagner dans d'autres matchs (et je pense d'ailleurs qu'elle va gagner celui-ci) mais j'ai toujours adoré ce morceau de Gainsbourg, avec, ou sans paroles.

Match 27:
1) Lisa Germano - "Puppet"
2) Deerhoof - "Milk Man"
Deux chansons fort sympathiques. Mon choix aurait pu être autre si la voix dans la seconde chanson avait été différente.

Match 28:
1) Nirvana - "Rainbow Chaser"
2) Rob Dougan - "Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix)"
Choix cornélien cette fois-ci. Une chanson que je connais très bien et que j'adore de rob Dougan (mais que serait-elle sans les variations enigma de l'intro?) et de l'autre une splendide découverte. Je n'avais jamais entendu de chanson de ce Nirvana et celle-ci est un régal. Je donne donc mon point à la découverte (si vous en avez d'autres de ce groupe à me conseiller, je suis preneur).

Here is the correct link to "Elephant Stone" by The Stone Roses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icBy5mPpyvw

Match 25:
Haha, it's quite a bold move to nominate such a sprawling piece like The Ikon. From Todd Rundgren's first Utopia album, one of his least accessible records. The four-part suite doesn't work all the way through, it has some weak spots and it's kinda overlong. The main theme still rocks, though.
The Jayhawks' I will Be Married, on the other hand is very pretty and is maybe the better song of the two. But I just gotta love the sheer ambition that is put into The Ikon.
Utopia wins (by a very small margin).

Match 26:
Cannabis, a soundtrack written by Serge Gainsbourg and Jean-Claude Vanniers. Considering the highly anticipated status of these two Frenchmen, the track exposed here, is in fact somewhat disappointing. But it's still better than Elephant Stone, which doesn't really distinguish itself from the regular Stone Roses output.
Serge Gainsbourg wins.

Match 27:
Not bad, Deerhoof's Milk Man, it's just that those mousy vocals by singer Satomi Matsuzaki can be so offputting sometimes. Nah, I'd rather go for the brooding Puppet. Lisa Germano is more like my kind of woman.
Lisa Germano wins.

Match 28:
Clubbed To Death is one of the few Dance-oriented tracks in this game, so basically I'm sympathetic towards it. Problem is, it just doesn't move me very much. I prefer Nirvana's Rainbow Chaser, a fine tune, although I can name a few other obscure '60s gems which I like more.
Nirvana wins.

I'm a little confused about the rules for song inclusion with this bracket: Is "Elephant Stone" eligible for this contest given that it's on the All-Time #52 Album on AM? I mean, it's an awesome track, but my impression was that we were looking for songs not included on any acclaimed or bubbling under albums. Correct me if I'm wrong, please....

Elephant Stone was not on the original album, only on the US release. Same goes for Fool's Gold, which is only on the US and UK re-releases. Of course that song itself is featured on AM and therefore disqualified.

Ah- thanks Stephan! Never knew that.

Very strong bracket this week; some tough choices...

Match 25:

1. Utopia- "The Ikon": (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4)- Sprawling but never dull. Makes me wish I had nominated Rush's "2112"*. Rundgren at his prog-iest, I presume. WINNER.
2. The Jayhawks- "Will I Be Married" - Pretty good song in a heavily populated genre. Doesn't have the epic feel of "The Ikon" which makes the difference here.

Match 26:

1.The Stone Roses- "Elephant Stone" - I think it was Mindrocker who pointed out the lack of deviation this has from other Roses tunes... which is okay by me... I don't think they had many misfires over their short tenure, and this is one great single. WINNER.
2.Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis" - Hate voting against Serge because I like this instrumental a lot - just not enough.

Match 27:

1.Deerhoof- "Milk Man" - I've really liked Deerhoof for several years now, and "Milk Man"'s one of their best. Once you get used to the constant (and many times, abrasive) hooks on repeated listens, you start to anticipate them. Quirkiness works in their favor, where it might just be annoying in the hands of someone else. WINNER.
2.Lisa Germano- "Puppet" - Surprisingly (to me) good song- definitely in the upper tier of selections so far. I look forward to hearing this again (& again...), as well as other Germano efforts.

Match 28:

1.Nirvana- "Rainbow Chaser"- Perhaps a bit airy, this one seems to end before it really gets going, which is a shame because it shows a lot of promise. Another band I'd like to hear more of. WINNER.
2.Rob Dougan- Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix)- At first I thought this would take the round, but I realized that as it goes on, it just gets boring. Pretty intense in spots, but nothing that will stick with me. I wasn't a fan of the movie, either, and have no recollection of this tune being used.

* for the record, I see that 2112 is acclaimed as an album and wouldn't have been eligible anyway....

Match 25
Utopia - The Ikon: This song is brilliant for the most part, as little as it had to work to get my vote against the country vibes which put me right off Will I Be Married.

Match 26
Serge Gainsbourg - Cannabis: This piece of genius couldn't lose against a fairly conventional Stone Roses song. There's even a bit of Glam Rock about it.

Match 27
Lisa Germano - Puppet: The most difficult match this week, two similar songs which at the same time complement each other very well. Both poppy and catchy with an eerie undertone. But Lisa Germano just gets it for a coolness I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Match 28
Nirvana - Rainbow Chaser: The sound is dated yet oddly ahead of its time, but I absolutely love it. Sorry, but Clubbed to Death brings back horrific memories of reality TV, so was never getting my vote.

The Jayhawks ~~~ Utopia made me long for my old 4-footer / Rockchalk in a landslide...

Stone Roses ~~~ Elephant Stone is hands down the best song in this tourney, if it loses this matchup I will lose interest in the rest of the tourney and hold a vendetta against Serge where I would vote for The Macarena or Michael Bolton over him!!!

Deerhoof ~~~ Ho Hum! At least Deerhoof rocks a little...

Rob Dougan ~~~ Nirvana song was fun, just really felt the vibe of Dougs a little stronger..

Slick

Stone Roses ~~~ Elephant Stone is hands down the best song in this tourney, if it loses this matchup I will lose interest in the rest of the tourney and hold a vendetta against Serge where I would vote for The Macarena or Michael Bolton over him!!!

It may lose,I won't be surprised if it does - there's no doubt that people like Romain,Nicolas,Mindrocker,Sonofsamiam will vote for Gainsbourg,but the key is with the others...

Match 25:

Utopia- "The Ikon": wins over The Jayhawks- "Will I Be Married"

I appreciate the tremendous patience it took for you to listen to a significant portion of the Ikon. Todd is one of my all time favorites and while his vocals are not always spot on, they are typically better than merely serviceable and he never seems to stay stuck in a rut. The Ikon is one of his more challenging creations. I can't point to a particular portion of the song that's my favorite, but Part I is unrelenting in its energy until @ 3:43 when he gets in to the main vocal and the guitars chill out. Then at @ 5:40 he takes it down another notch. I wonder sometimes if this potion goes on a bit long. While the lyrics may not be entirely coherent, to me they speak of a quest for spiritual enlightenment that matches the different musical modes.

Even if Part II does start off a bit mellow, this appears only for contrast sake as he gets rockin' again at @ 3:57. I must admit that some of the synthesizer and keyboards don't really impress me, but the guitar riffs are not too bad, and the interplay with these instruments and the bass and drums is at least somewhat interesting. Rundgren then transitions to a more contemplative mood at @6:15 where the synthesizers work better for me.

Part III gets to some more spiritual awakening lyrics at @ 0:10 which works well for me. At around 2:30, the mood shifts to a sleep-like pace. Then at 3:30, Todd, goes back to the earlier theme of part III. At @ 4:12, we get alternating measures of the earlier theme and a rather simple blues progression. At @ 4:45, Todd delivers some synthesizer themes that don't seem to transition particularly cleanly, but there is some decent guitar and other elements that make this portion of the song interesting. He really rocks at @ 6:30 which then leads to the keyboard theme of Part IV.

Part IV starts of with a joyful ditty of keyboard themes and transitions to another slower section at 1:28. Todd uses the slower section to move towards a soaring guitar effort (with Santana-like note extensions) at @ 2:08. At 2:55, he then goes back to the faster keyboard dominated theme used earlier in the song. The percussion effort in this section seems particularly solid. Then at @ 4:30 Todd pivots to reiterate many of the themes played in Parts I, II and III. You can tell that he is setting us up for the finale which starts in earnest at 6:15. While the ending is paced very fast, it is not the strongest part of the song in my view.

The Jayhawks effort is pleasant enough and the live performance is reasonably tight and fun. But, the composition seems rather unremarkable. I wonder if the Jayhawks are somewhat derivative of Lynyrd Skynrd. My guess is that even if "The Ikon" gets past this round, it will not easily move much further against tougher competition.

Match 26:

Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis" wins over The Stone Roses - "Elephant Stone"

Cannabis is tightly constructed and provides very interesting interplay between guitar, base and drums. Excellent phrasing and use of pauses.

Elephant Stone is catchy and well done, but seems a bit light.

Match 27:

Lisa Germano- "Puppet" wins over Deerhoof- "Milk Man"
Puppet is understated and poignant. I am not sure if this song will still impress after 5 or more listens, but it very well may.

Deerhoof- "Milk Man"
Nice hard rocker with a puny voice that doesn't make much sense among the distortion. The song is nonetheless pretty darn good and this is a pretty close call for me.

Match 28:

Rob Dougan- Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix) wins over Nirvana-"Rainbow Chaser"

The UK version of Nirvana is not easily confused with Cobain's iteration. Nothing seems particularly special about "Rainbow Chaser" to me, but there is nothing about it that is terribly annoying.

Clubbed to Death is characterized by excellent production and thoughtful orchestration. But, it does seem a bit plodding to me. I could see how this song would work as background music in a club, but it does not seem special to me. This match was a fairly close call.

Vote: Utopia

First off I want to say, picking a 30 minute song is mean. Some of the guitar is really good. It makes me think of Blow By Blow meets Close To The Edge. The problem is, not all the phases of the song are equally good, and that makes the song wear out it's welcome long before the end. However, it's competition is just kind of nonstandoutish, so I still have to give it my vote.

Vote: Stone Roses

Interesting loophole here for qualifying. Kind of against the spirit of the competition. It makes it harder to be objective because it's a song I think of as being on one of my favorite albums against a song I'm hearing for the first time. But, I just really like that song and have to vote for it.

Vote: Deerhoof

I like Deerhoof's quirky indie instrumentals combined with that high register voice. Lisa Germano was okay but didn't do much for me.

Vote: Rob Dougan

Rainbow Chaser is a little too Woodstock-poppy. It's got that psychadelic rock feel but with a little too bouncy a melody and without the usual guitar licks. I wasn't a huge fan of Clubbed To Death either. It seemed like a good TV theme song but doesn't stand that well on it's own.

Honestly, I generally liked all 8 songs this week. Good stuff.

Match 25:

Utopia- "The Ikon": (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4): I really thought I would LOVE this, as I'm a huge fan of ambitious, crazy stuff, am a sucker for prog, and like my share of Rundgren, including the short track "Freedom Fighters" from the same album. That said, I was a bit disappointed. There are some excellent moments, but it gets ponderous at times. I do think some of this is tongue-in-cheek, and the length is the point, but I doubt I'll go back and listen to this much.
The Jayhawks- "Will I Be Married": I really like a few Jayhawks songs ("Blue", "Dying on the Vine"), but this was just OK, not very memorable.

WINNER: Utopia, in a close one, by sheer dint of ballsiness

Match 26:

The Stone Roses- "Elephant Stone": Of course this is really good, but it's only 2nd-tier on my US copy of the album, and one I tend to skip.
Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis": On the other hand, this was the first I've heard this, and I love it! Whenever Serge got together with Vannier great things happened.

WINNER: Serge Gainsbourg

Match 27:

Lisa Germano- "Puppet": I'm a big fan of Geek The Girl, so this interested me, but I think Germano was honing her craft at this point. Good creepy stuff, though.
Deerhoof- "Milk Man": On the other hand, I really like Deerhoof a lot, and this is in my Top 5 of theirs. The juxtaposition of the squeaky vocal with the abrasive mix of punk and prog works great for me.

WINNER: Deerhoof

Match 28:

Nirvana- "Rainbow Chaser": Nice psych track, but not one of the very best of the era.
Rob Dougan- Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix): I really liked the mix of various styles here, shifted around enough to not get boring.

WINNER: Rob Dougan, in a very close one

Match 25:

Utopia- "The Ikon": I had never heard Todd Rundgren or Utopia before, and I was a bit nervous when I saw the length of this song. That said, it seems to be way more accessible than most prog, and although the pieces didn't necessarily all go together naturally to my ears, that may change with future listens.

The Jayhawks- "Will I Be Married": An admirable stab at a genre that just isn't my thing. I'll give them credit for making it better than just about all of country-rock that I've heard, but that only goes so far...

Match 26:

The Stone Roses- "Elephant Stone": Somehow, I had missed hearing this despite liking their debut album. It fits in there perfectly as a hazy ray of sunshine.

Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis": A very interesting instrumental indeed. It has some great guitar work, but I feel like it would benefit if Serge had gone all out with lyrics, too.

Match 27:

Lisa Germano- "Puppet": I can't believe I had never heard of her before, as I was well-aware of Liz Phair, PJ Harvey and many other 90s alterna-chicks. This is a pretty good effort in that genre, but it just misses out on getting my vote here.

Deerhoof- "Milk Man": It's great to hear a song after seeing Deerhoof referenced many times before. It cuts a somewhat strange path that I quite like, and I adore the vocals!

Match 28:

Nirvana- "Rainbow Chaser": What a great burst of color this is! I'm not usually big on a lot of 60s sunshine, but this is hitting all the right notes.

Rob Dougan- "Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix)": It rises above the morass of largely anonymous instrumental techno-dance rife in the late 90s and early 00s. I liked the piano bits especially. That said, again I feel like this song would have been better served with lyrics.

Match 25:

Gotta appreciate the grandness of The Ikon, but the fourth part really takes it down a notch. Without that it might've beaten the Jayhawks, now it doesn't.

Match 26:

Really tough choice here, not one of my favorite Stone Roses songs and Gainsbourg's song is excellent. I like me a good old vendetta though, so I'm voting for Serge.

Match 27:
Lisa Germano- "Puppet"
Deerhoof- "Milk Man"

The only bracket this week where the choice is relatively easy, Puppet is a very enjoyable song and Milk Man is a little bit all over the place for me.

Match 28:

I've always liked Clubbed To Death and even have it on my computer, but Rainbow Chaser is the best Nirvana song I've ever heard so it's another tough choice in a week full of them. I've gone with Rainbow Chaser because it fits my mood a little better today, but yesterday the vote could've swung the other way.

Match 25:

I'm definitely not a prog-hater and really like what I've heard of Rundgren, but it was kind of funny to listen to a 30 minute "song" and compare it to something else, especially given the fact that many albums from the 1970s were just a little bit longer than that. I think the Jayhawks song was solid enough to give it a win over a listenable but still sprawling song.

Match 26:

I'm also not an instrumental hater, but I'm having trouble choosing these impersonal songs that sound like extended musical cues over vocal songs. But that previous sentence was pointless, because I had no idea that Elephant Stone was not an original part of the 1989 album and I really like everything on it.

Match 27:

Deerhoof- "Milk Man"

It's great to see a lot of love for my 2nd choice, and that people can get past the off-kilter voice and appreciate it for the gleeful masterpiece that it is. Google - Maine, School, Deerhoof, Milk Man, musical sometime. Most of the album was made part of an elementary school musical a few years back!

I must recognize "The Puppet" as a strong opponent though.

Match 28:

I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of Nirvana (Kurt Cobain) bootlegs so this was a surprise to see that there was another Nirvana. Really interesting... it sounds like it would fit right in with the soundtrack of a trippy 60s movie.

Match 25 Winner: Utopia, "The Ikon"

I was apprehensive going in. I find Rundgren to be very hit or miss, and I don't like particularly long prog rock workouts. So I was pleasantly surprised to find that "The Ikon" was a fairly focused suite. Only occasionally did it lapse into being boring. THe parts where there was a strong groove o loud guitars were really good. I did not care for "Will I Be Married" as much. The song didn't do much for me.

Match 26 Winner: Serge Gainsbourg, "Cannabis"

I think the Stone Roses are pretty overrated, and this song did not change my mind. On the plus side... strong drums throughout. But the rest of the song left me cold. I loved Cannabis, though. Nice dirty feeling instrumental. I've said before how much I dislike Gainsbourg's vocals, which often ruin some incredible background compositions. Nice to not have that problem here.

Match 27 Winner: Deerhoof, "Milk Man"

Somehow I missed Lisa Germano, even though I was very into all of those mid-90's alt rock women. Fair song by her. I'm not that into the hushed vocals here, though. Like the crisper production on the Deerhoof number, and the more adventuresome instrumentals.

Match 28 Winner: Rob Dougan, "Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix)"

Matchup of two interesting but only partly successful examples from their respective genres. Nirvana was a little too heavy on the pop-psychedelia without enough charisma from the vocals. But interesting, nonetheless. The Dougan remix wins by a hair, because I'm always a sucker for some piano and strings.

I always hear this songs with vocals. I put le link without intentionally because I know non english vocals can pose problems, if you want to hear with vocals, this is the link.
Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis with vocals"

I like it even better with vocals, makes my choice a little easier.

Sorry, I don't have time to listen to the 30-minute song.

"Cannabis" def. "Elephant Stone"

I always thought "Elephant Stone" was part of the Stone Roses' debut album; a quick check at Wikipedia confirms it was not on the original release but has been on most releases since (including the one I have). Anyway, it's never been one of my favorites from the album, lacking a strong hook and suffering from the dated production plaguing most other Stone Roses songs.

"Cannabis" was solid both with and without vocals, though I must say it pales in comparison to the best material I've heard from Gainsbourg.

"Milk Man" def. "Puppet"

My first exposure to both of these artists was a disappointment. "Puppet" simply didn't create the atmosphere necessary to sustain interest in a song with such muted vocals. The vocals on "Milk Man" were a huge turn-off, but there were enough interesting things going on in the instrumentation to give it the win here.

"Rainbow Chaser" def. "Clubbed to Death"

This was by far the best matchup of the week; I'll be happy no matter which of these two gems advances. In the end, I chose "Rainbow Chaser" because of its blend of psychedelia and early prog that must have sounded innovative at the time. "Clubbed to Death" was excellent in combined moments of explosive power with restrained beauty, but given the choice right now, I'd rather hear "Rainbow Chaser" again.

Match 25
30-minute suites starting off this week’s nominees can’t help the dwindling voter turnout for this game (especially if voters only plan on spending just over 30 minutes listening to all of the week’s entries). I will admit, I only listened to the first 13 minutes (5 minutes more than I was planning to listen to), before I wished that I would hate the Jayhawks song. I did enjoy them both, but I would say I enjoyed (what I heard from) the Utopia song more.
Winner: Utopia, “The Ikon”

Match 26
I am not very familiar with the Stone Roses, but I enjoyed this song. I also liked the Gainsbourg number, but it’s a bit more forgettable.
Winner: The Stone Roses, “Elephant Stone”
EDIT: I would have voted for the Gainsbourg song if the one with vocals had been posted. I have no problems with songs in languages I don't understand. The vocals in this song make it far more interesting.

Match 27
I really liked both tracks, but Deerhoof takes it.
Winner: Deerhoof, “Milk Man”

Match 28
Not AT ALL what I was expecting. I was totally expecting another unreleased song found on Kurt Cobain’s answering machine that he had left for himself from a payphone. Never realized there was another Nirvana (and from so long ago), but I really enjoyed this song. I also expected “Clubbed to Death” to be a death metal song (thankfully it wasn’t).
Winner: Nirvana, “Rainbow Chaser”

Match 25:

Not really a fan of either genre here,but Utopia stood out more,even if I may never listen to it again...

Match 26:

I didn't realize so many people knew this from being a bonus track on their debut album,if I did,I never would have nominated it. But anyway,if there is one song in my collection that I would happily play at any given time,this would be it. Cannabis is OK,but nothing special. The song that is...

Match 27:
Lisa Germano- "Puppet"

The Deerhoof track was interesting but the vocals were a bit of a turn off. I enjoyed the Lisa Germano track much more,and sounds better than that Liz Phair track a few weeks ago.

Match 28:

'Rainbow Chaser' just sounded like an average 60s psych track to me,there was loads better. Clubbed to Death was much less boring than I expected,and I quite enjoyed it.

"The vocals on "Milk Man" were a huge turn-off, but there were enough interesting things going on in the instrumentation to give it the win here."

Jackson, if the vocals of Deerhoof are a turnoff, I think Satomi's vocals get more refined and fuller after the 2004 album Milk Man, where this track is from. Runners Four, the 2005 follow-up is Deerhoof's expansive follow-up where they throw every nuance of their sound out there, and nearly all of it sticks well. It also involves vocal contributions from at least 3, if not all, members of their band, which might be easier for your to listen to. Chris Cohen, member of Deerhoof at the time, also had a side band called the Curtains which is worth digging up.

*Utopia - very ambitious, surprised they actually delivered it.

*Elephant Stone - one of the first albums i've ever bought was the Stone Roses debut album and this track was there, and it was really one of my favorites, so it was actually pretty easy to pick.

*Puppet - I like Deerhoof, but this was my pick and of believe it is a better choice. Germano is the most underrated singer/songwriter of the 90s, even Lisa freakin' Loeb gets more mentions than her. Geek the Girk is a masterpiece and Happiness is a hell of a alt pop album, this is one of the most accessible tracks in a album full of highlights.

*rRainbow Chaser - loved the melody, better than the other track that surfaced during the first weeks.

Im posting from my cellphone, cause in at school and the deadline is close, so:

My first vote goes to Utopia. I really wasnt expecting vote for this, it was so long, but i loved it. Different from everything i've heard, i will check more of their material, cause it seems worthy of my time and this very long and terriifc track proved it it was no waste. My secind vote goes to The Stone Roses because they are simply my favorite british band of the 80s excluding the Smiths. I've always seen this song is part of the album, never a bonus track or something like that, cause it is on pair, in my opinion, to some of the material there. I really like the instrumental and a friend of mine used to play this during the night while we were camping, it was terrible but it is a nice memory. My third vote was the hardest. I adore females like these two and in a fan of both, so it was pretty hard to me. But Puppet takes it cause it has this awesome atmosphere and production that totally matches Lisas vocals and direct, honest writing. My fourth and last vote goes to the most surprisingly good match of this week. Im a huge fan of this obscure nirvana song, it is so good, better than some tracks that actually made other albums of them before and some darker material that came after Cobains death and the bands end.

These are my picks and forgive me for the bad english or not being organized, and if some of the words didnt make sense, blame the cells automatic correction, i hate them... But i needed to vote, i love this game

Match 25:

Utopia sounds like Rush, that's not a compliment coming from me.

Match 26:

Sorry but I won't support my fellow-citizen here, found Gainsbourg's piece boring

Match 27:

Deerhoof- "Milk Man"
More in a childish mood than in a creepy one today, but I guess some other day it could have gone the other way

Match 28:

Madeleine de Proust FTW

I also don't have time for "The Ikon".

I do quite like "Elephant Stone", but I also feel it is flawed. Serge on the other hand sounds like a French Ziggy Stardust, and that's a great thing.

Deerhoof - "Milk Man"

Weak matchup. "Milk Man" isn't great, but it is quirky and interesting whereas the Lisa Germano song was overlong.

Nirvana - "Rainbow Chaser"

The other Nirvana is surprisingly good, as was "Rainbow Chaser". The other song didn't do anything for me.

Voting for this week is now closed.

Here are your results for Week 7!

Match 25:

Utopia - "The Ikon": 13
The Jayhawks - "Will I Be Married": 4

Utopia jumped out to a quick lead and cruised to an easy win.

Match 26:

The Stones Roses - "Elephant Stone": 10
Serge Gainsbourg - "Cannabis": 9

This was close all the way. Serge Gainsbourg led early, but The Stone Roses quickly closed the gap. It went back and forth until The Stone Roses managed a slight lead. Serge closed strong, but not strong enough to win.

Match 27:

Lisa Germano - "Puppet": 8
Deerhoof - "Milk Man": 11

In another close match, Lisa Germano took an early lead, but it was quickly erased and Deerhoof looked to grab an easy win. But Lisa Germano came back strong, but not strong enough to win.

Match 28:

Nirvana - "Rainbow Chaser": 12
Rob Dougan - "Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Remix)": 7

Nirvana took the first 4 votes, and Rob Dougan claimed the next 4. Nirvana seized momentum thereafter and never looked back.

The winners advance to the Winners Bracket 1 (W1), while the losers can take heart in the fact that they are not out of the game yet, and move to Losers Bracket 1 (L1).

Up-to-date brackets are available here.

Nice to see long lost masterpieces like Ikon getting a go in here. Great site!