Comment
Am Survivor: Round 1, Week 4

These 5 have run out of gas:
93. Cream (18 Points)
92. Patti Smith (14)
91. Madonna (13)
90. LCD Soundsystem (11)
89. Primal Scream (10)
So, in the first four eliminations, the artist I’ve given the highest negative too have been eliminated. This week though, every artist I voted for was eliminated.
Once again, there was a tie, so we will knock out 5 this week, but you can still only vote for four. Comments are now optional. Let’s see who’s running on empty: Oasis (9), Brian Eno (7)

Now, let the games begin! We are down to 88 artists. Here, please post four artists want you off the “Island” out of the remaining artists. Please see the Rules Thread for the complete set of rules. Remember that one artist get 4 points, the next gets 3, and so on.

Schwah won the Immunity Challenge last week, so Big Star and Sonic Youth are immune this week.

The Remaining Artists:
Arcade Fire, The Band, The Beach Boys, Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Beck, Chuck Berry, Big Star, Björk, Blur, David Bowie, James Brown, The Byrds, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave, Ray Charles, The Clash, Leonard Cohen, John Coltrane, Sam Cooke, Elvis Costello, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Miles Davis, The Doors, Nick Drake, Bob Dylan, Brian Eno, Fleetwood Mac, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, PJ Harvey, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Michael Jackson, The Jam, Elton John, Joy Division, The Kinks, Kraftwerk, Led Zeppelin, Little Richard, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Massive Attack, Curtis Mayfield, Joni Mitchell, Van Morrison, New Order, Nirvana, Oasis, OutKast, Parliament/Funkadelic, Pavement, Pink Floyd, Pixies, Portishead, Elvis Presley, Prince, Public Enemy, Pulp, Radiohead, Ramones, Otis Redding, Lou Reed, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, Roxy Music, Simon and Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Sly and the Family Stone, The Smashing Pumpkins, Elliot Smith,The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, Steely Dan, The Stooges, Talking Heads, T. Rex, U2, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, The White Stripes, The Who, Wilco, Stevie Wonder, Neil Young, Frank Zappa/The Mothers of Invention

Re: Am Survivor: Round 1, Week 4

-4 Nirvana
-3 T. Rex
-2 The Beastie Boys
-1 Parliament/Funkadelic - It's getting quite tough to pick artists because there's pretty much only artists left that I love and ones that I'm rather indifferent about. The indifferent ones are obviously pretty close, so it's hard to pick one. Parliament and Funkadelic have never particularly impressed me though, so I suppose they can leave. I'll miss them a little bit though.

-4 Oasis
-3 Pink Floyd
-2 The Who
-1 The Beatles

-4 Frank Zappa ~~ He will continue to get (-4) everytime until he is gone...

-3 Tom Waits ~~ Never got into his music, another artist I think gets way too much credit...

-2 Nick Drake ~~ Nothing against Nick, musically he's pretty decent. It just brings home my theory about how artists have a tendency to become critically acclaimed after they pass away unexpectedly. On the flip side; how many artists that are not in this discussion perhaps would have been had someone died unexpectedly???

-1 Brian Eno ~~ Doesn't do much for me, it's time to go...

-4 Oasis Some strategic voting here.
-3 Elton John
-2 Fleetwood Mac
-1 Buddy Holly

-4 Bjork
-3 Tom Waits
-2 Massive Attack
-1 Pixies

-4 U2
-3 Brian Eno
-2 Fleetwood Mac
-1 Radiohead

My list continues the same:

-4. Parliament/Funkadelic
-3. The Doors
-2. Kraftwerk
-1. David Bowie

Moonbeam
-4 Oasis
-3 Pink Floyd
-2 The Who
-1 The Beatles

Great job of selecting my faves again.

In this target rich environment, it could be weeks before I start putting Prince among my selections.

Henry
Moonbeam
-4 Oasis
-3 Pink Floyd
-2 The Who
-1 The Beatles

Great job of selecting my faves again.

In this target rich environment, it could be weeks before I start putting Prince among my selections.

There are still plenty of targets in this list who I really don't like.

-4 The Band
-3 Ramones
-2 The Byrds
-1 John Coltrane

-4 The White Stripes
-3 Portishead
-2 T. Rex
-1 Arcade Fire

Brian Eno(-4)
Parliament/Funkadelic(-3)
Massive Attack(-2)
John Coltrane(-1)

-4 Beastie Boys
-3 Blur
-2 Buddy Holly
-1 CCR

I'm still voting for bands I like less, but at some point I may start in with the strategery. (This is the only game where strategery is not only okay, but encouraged!)

-4 Bob Dylan
-3 Van Morrisson
-2 The Band
-1 Fleetwood Mac
Always the same !

-4 New Order
-3 Ramones
-2 The Clash
-1 Oasis

Listyguy
Once again, there was a tie, so we will knock out 5 this week, but you can still only vote for four.

There was no tie this week! Sorry about that, please ignore.

-4 Oasis (With every artist I hate completly out, here's the next best thing.)
-3 Frank Sinatra (How has survived this long with getting any votes?)
-2 Brian Eno (Not a fan of him, and I don't really know many of his songs)
-1 Nick Cave (Once again, how has he survived without getting a lot of votes?)

Wow! I can not believe the negativity towards Oasis while public enemy #1 Frank Zappa isn't getting any attention. Back when I was compiling information that made up the slicknation criteria that made the top 1024 artists for the 1st edition of UMT, Zappa was amongst of list of artists that were considered to awful to be considered. That list included Cher, NSync, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and so on...

-4 Oasis: The reasons why this band is absolutely awful have been documented so many times, by so many people, that there really is no reason to say anything else.
-3 The Doors: They say Doors fans are born not made. Well, there aren't very many being born anymore.
-2 Steely Dan
-1 Roxy Music

I know this question has been asked before, but why do you hate Frank Zappa so much Slick? Have you listened to Freak Out! and Hot Rats? I'm far from an expert on Zappa, but we have a couple of people on the forum who would rank Zappa as a top 25 artist so I'm sure they could recommend some more stuff of his.

Also, you decided personally to exclude Zappa from the UMT?

Zappa will be part of the next UMT. I didn't include any of his singles in my research, thus making it impossible for him to get in. But in the next UMT starting in Feb, the participants and seeds will based solely off top artists lists so he will be part of it.

As for my personal disdain, I have listened to a few Zappa albums and would prefer going to the dentist to have a root canal... I just do not see how he made it into the top 100 and not seeing anyone vote him off, but I guess that's what makes games like these so much fun. If everyone agreed with everybody else this would get quite boring!!!

-4 Nick Cave
-3 Little Richard
-2 Massive Attack
-1 The Ramones

Slick
Wow! I can not believe the negativity towards Oasis while public enemy #1 Frank Zappa isn't getting any attention.

Love your choice of words! I am kind of surprised Zappa has survived this long as well. And you excluded Zappa yet included Bolwing for Soup?

Listyguy
I am kind of surprised Zappa has survived this long as well.

Based on the strength of his back catalog,he deserves to be in the top 50 at the very least...

Listyguy
Slick
Wow! I can not believe the negativity towards Oasis while public enemy #1 Frank Zappa isn't getting any attention.

Love your choice of words! I am kind of surprised Zappa has survived this long as well. And you excluded Zappa yet included Bolwing for Soup?

The sad thing is Bowling For Soup could be one of the worst bands ever!!! Yet I would still rather listen to then instead of Zappa!!!

Slick
Listyguy
Slick

The sad thing is Bowling For Soup could be one of the worst bands ever!!! Yet I would still rather listen to then instead of Zappa!!!

You included Nickelback over Zappa? I mean, I can see how someone could hate Zappa (as much as I like him), but Nickelback over Zappa? Reeeeeaaallly?

Nick
Slick
Listyguy
Slick

You included Nickelback over Zappa? I mean, I can see how someone could hate Zappa (as much as I like him), but Nickelback over Zappa? Reeeeeaaallly?

That could be the only band where I would vote for Zappa if they were matched up!!!! I think I would have to pass for the 1st time ever... One can only hope they meet in rd. 1 in the next one.

I think that's being a little extreme. Even Queen, who I hate, I'd much rather hear than those pop-punk "Scream out of key about how some girl is a bitch for leaving me" songs. At least Queen has good guitar parts, and can sing relatively in tune.

I enjoy Zappa for humor value, but I think he's too 'weird for the sake of weird' He sounds pretty good on Hot Rats where there's no lyrics. But I just think "Hey pop where you goin with that flower in your hand? I'm goin out to Frisco to join a psychadelic band!" is a really awesome thing to say.

Seriously though, How can you just exclude an artist that could have probably made it to the top 256?
Speaking of Zappa being "Wierd for the sake of Wierd". wouldn't that apply to Bowie too?

-4 Coltrane : I try not to vote too soon against jazz artists, but I honestly don't get his music at all. I save Miles Davis for later because some of his music intrigue me...
-3 Elvis Costello : Lipstick Vogue is an awesome song, but I never understood why his 3 first albums as that much acclaimed, he seems to just make OK copies of what 60s rockers did long before him (he might sum up what different 60s artist did but still)
-2 Nick Cave : another case where nothing I have heard appeal to me at all, even if you include Grinderman. He is the only remaining artist with no album in the top 500, with the exception of Chuck Berry, but I have to admit I am amazed by the number of his albums on AM3000 (I don't know if anybody has checked, I'm not sure that anybody else beside Dylan and the Stones have more acclaimed albums)
-1 Roxy Music : I tried, I swear !

Nassim

-2 Nick Cave : another case where nothing I have heard appeal to me at all, even if you include Grinderman. He is the only remaining artist with no album in the top 500, with the exception of Chuck Berry, but I have to admit I am amazed by the number of his albums on AM3000 (I don't know if anybody has checked, I'm not sure that anybody else beside Dylan and the Stones have more acclaimed albums)

You're not-so-loved Coltrane and Davis have an easy time beating Cave. Even Charles Mingus has one album more in the AM 3000.

But then again, AM could have included two Birthday Party albums in Cave's favor. And Grinderman 2 will probably be in the list as well next year. I think Nocturama is the only Cave and the Bad Seeds/Grinderman album that is not in the AM 3000. Quite impressive.

I think the fact that so many Cave albums are up there is the reason why no single album stands out and ends up in the top 100 or so.

Joy Division (-4)
Joni Mitchell (-3)
Roxy Music (-2)
Oasis (-1)

I'll be upset if I didn't protect Parliament/Funkadelic and they wind up going out.

Schwah

I'll be upset if I didn't protect Parliament/Funkadelic and they wind up going out.

Me too! Long live P-Funk.

Aah, this again - I shall be voting Bob Dylan out and despairing when he wins, just like I did in 2007

Bob Dylan -4
Bruce Springsteen -3
The Byrds -2
The Smiths -1

Neil Young has one more than Cave.

This week's distgusting voting (see who got eliminated and you'll know what I mean) is now.