Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shortest/Longest?

Does any one know what the shortest and longest AM Ranked songs are? The Longest song I could find was Sister Ray by the VU, and the shortest I could find was Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran. I'm probably wrong, but are these the shortest and longest song on the site?

Re: Shortest/Longest?

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is listed as one track, so that would definitely be longer than Sister Ray—about 25 minutes or so?

The longest I believe is "Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield, which is bubbling under. The entirety of the "Tubular Bells" composition is a staggering 48:57. The longest song with an actual AM rank (not bubbling under) that I can find is "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd, which in it's entirety is 26:05. As for shortest, The Beatles "Golden Slumbers" is only 1:32, though there might be shorter songs, it's the shortest I can find. That song however is bubbling under, so the shortest song with an AM rank I can find is "Fell in Love With a Girl" by The White Stripes, at a brief 1:50.

Nick
As for shortest, The Beatles "Golden Slumbers" is only 1:32, though there might be shorter songs, it's the shortest I can find. That song however is bubbling under, so the shortest song with an AM rank I can find is "Fell in Love With a Girl" by The White Stripes, at a brief 1:50.

let's raise (or lower?) the bar with Minor Threat's "Straight Edge" at 0:46.

I'm guessing the longest ranked song is Terry Riley's "In C", which is in the Top 1000 and is 43 minutes long. I'm not sure if the 2nd side of Tubular Bells is really thought of as a piece with the 1st side, unlike "In C" which is quite obviously an extended whole.

As for the shorties, I think I've seen Napalm Death's "You Suffer" on some lists before, but sadly it's not even bubbling under. It lasts a whole 4 seconds, so if it makes the list someday it will be tough to top/bottom.

sonofsamiam

As for the shorties, I think I've seen Napalm Death's "You Suffer" on some lists before, but sadly it's not even bubbling under. It lasts a whole 4 seconds, so if it makes the list someday it will be tough to top/bottom.

The actual sound even fits in a staggering second.

I was going to say Echoes is a full song by Pink Floyd instead of Shine On which is divided onto parts, but I was surprised to see it's not in the AM 3000. Tubular Bells is divided into 2 parts as well but only because of the medium it was released on. Tubular Bells shouldn't count, that's a classical album in disguise as prog.

sonofsamiam
I'm not sure if the 2nd side of Tubular Bells is really thought of as a piece with the 1st side, unlike "In C" which is quite obviously an extended whole.

The AM entry for Mike Oldfield doesn't list "Tubular Bells Part 1" or "Tubular Bells Part 2" under his songs, it only lists "Tubular Bells", forcing me to conclude that the AM entry counts both parts as one big song, the same way that the AM entry for Pink Floyd counts both parts of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as one song.