Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Coming

The Rock Hall will announce this year's nominees on Tuesday (September 28).

Who will make the list of nominees this year? Future Rock Legends (www.futurerocklegends.com) predicts the following will appear on the ballot:

Beastie Boys
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Leon Russell
T. Rex
LL Cool J
Sting
Joe Tex
Donna Summer
The Chantels
Devo
Yes
Johnny Burnette and the Rock N Roll Trio

Re: 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees Coming

Interesting reasoning from the good folks at Future Rock Hall or Fame... stuff like:

- Dave Marsh (on the nominating committee) wrote that Joe Tex is the most underrated of all the 60's Atlantic soul perfomers; and

- Elton John is said to be lobbying strongly for Leon Russell and the opinion of inductees is strongly considered by the committee.

I'll say it again, though... the fun of a rock hall of fame is that everybody gets to be offended at who is being left out. For me, among the currently eligible, it's Sonic Youth and Chic.

Donna Summer better not get in before the Smiths.
I'm just counting down the years for GNR and Nirvana.

I don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as Nirvana and Strums N' Poses are concerned. They'll be first on the list when they're eligible, ideal Hall of Fame material. The ones to worry about now are the likes of Pixies, as has already been said The Smiths and Sonic Youth, Joy Division, New Order and Talking Heads.

Edit: My bad, Talking Heads are already there.

Talking Heads are already in, so I wouldn't worry too much about their induction.

I've never been to the Hall, but I've heard they have a lot of Sonic Youth stuff. They should be getting in soon. The Pixies aren't eligable yet.
As mentioned, the Talking Heads are already in, but they were much more commercial than SY, JD, NO and such.
Seriously though, I will loose a lot of respect for the Hall if Sting and LL Cool J beat the Smiths in.
There should be an alternative Hall (No, I don't mean a hall for Alternative Music, rather a place called the Music Hall of Fame)

I was just on that site the JR mentioned, and i thought this was interesting:
http://www.futurerocklegends.com/artists.php
It lists every (and I mean EVERY) artiss not in the hall and their date of eligability. It also has a bar that gives the odds the artist will enter the hall. Here are a few with good bars I noticed:
-Beastie Boys
-Beck
-Bjork
-Blur
I don't have time to keep going.

It's Time...

Donna Summer got her due- she's been eligible since 1999. Why shouldn't the Queen of Disco be inducted before The Smiths? The Smiths became eligible in 2008, and per Future Rock Legends, their chances at induction are pretty close. The site's pretty good with their percentages, except in the case of Britney Spears (51% is kinda high, based on everything up to the present time).

I'd love to see acts like Pat Benatar and Cyndi Lauper inducted, but I'm afraid the Hall of Fame committee won't be rushing to induct either of them.

Re: It's Time...

Maybe I'm biased, as Kraftwerk is one of my favorite groups, but I really think they merit inclusion. If the Hall of Fame is going to honor other such "early pioneers" of different genres, like Grandmaster Flash, then Kraftwerk should really be in there for their influence on electronic music alone.

Apparently they were nominated in 2003, but nothing since then...

I wouldn't worry about who gets in, it's just a big ol' Hard Rock Cafe. A lot of people feel this way about the R&RHOF (like the Sex Pistols), but this thing gets broadcast on tv (in the us) & gets coverage in the news and in all the music mags... as if it has credibility.

It isn't like the sports HOF's because the individual players have statistics recorded which prove they were amongst the greatest of their game. There aren't any statistics to look at when it comes to rocking the best, its all based on the individual's opinion.

There has to be some cool things in the museum itself, but I don't buy the whole "inducted into the R&RHOF" honor

JR
Donna Summer got her due- she's been eligible since 1999. Why shouldn't the Queen of Disco be inducted before The Smiths? The Smiths became eligible in 2008, and per Future Rock Legends, their chances at induction are pretty close. The site's pretty good with their percentages, except in the case of Britney Spears (51% is kinda high, based on everything up to the present time).

I'd love to see acts like Pat Benatar and Cyndi Lauper inducted, but I'm afraid the Hall of Fame committee won't be rushing to induct either of them.

How do you tell what the exact percentage is? This site is pretty cool!

Kingoftonga
Maybe I'm biased, as Kraftwerk is one of my favorite groups, but I really think they merit inclusion. If the Hall of Fame is going to honor other such "early pioneers" of different genres, like Grandmaster Flash, then Kraftwerk should really be in there for their influence on electronic music alone.

Apparently they were nominated in 2003, but nothing since then...

This site has an excellent list of the top acts not in the R&RHOF, and Kraftwerk is their pick for #1. Some other obvious omissions to me are Deep Purple, Roxy Music, Yes, Brian Eno, Wire, Joy Division, The Smiths, The Cure, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Thin Lizzy, The Zombies, MC5, T. Rex, King Crimson, Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart (hey, Zappa is in!), Big Star, and the Buzzcocks. The list goes on...

Most of those acts aren't in because of their lack of hits--at least here in the states. Still, Deep Purple, Yes, The Zombies, and The Cure had hits in the U.S., as well as plenty of influence and acclaim. It's hard to say why they aren't in.

where's Kate Bush? This is how you know the Hall of Fame is too Americanized. Not only is she influencial throughout the entire world but she was also the biggest artist in the world at one time with the exception of America. It's like you don't matter unless you have hits in America.

Well, Because...

music is subjective, it can't be based on statistics. If it werte, it would be a Hall of Fame of those who have had the greatest chart success- which doesn't have anything to do with greatness.

The HOF committee is comprised of people who generally know what they're talking about, in terms of musical importance/history. Anyone can be a critic, but there actually are people who earn their living listening to more music than the average Joe listens to, and who are pretty knowledgeable about the industry.

A lot of the most acclaimed acts are in the HOF, and there also are some in the HOF who have not racked up loads of acclaim. I think it's notable when one gets in as soon as they're eligible- those usually are the no-brainers, if you will. Of course, with the first ceremony, there were so many eligible, that getting in in the second or third years was nothing to be ashamed of.

Re: Well, Because...

JR

The HOF committee is comprised of people who generally know what they're talking about, in terms of musical importance/history. Anyone can be a critic, but there actually are people who earn their living listening to more music than the average Joe listens to, and who are pretty knowledgeable about the industry.

Some critics do vote, I don't know if they're any good at what they do, but music industry executives vote too. Can we expect them to vote unbiasedly, or are they going to vote for whoever made them money on their label? There have been too many reports from former voters and board members who say Jann Warner (founder of the R&RHOF) keeps certain artists out and inducts other artists in based on his own personal music taste. The guy also founded and owns Rolling Stone magazine, which makes sense when you think about who's in and who's out. John Mayer 2026?

LOL...

I wouldn't necessarily count on that one. :)

In some cases, I also think it's sour grapes for those who have not been inducted into the HOF. I mean, look at the Sex Pistols- they were vehemently against it, yet HOF voters could not deny the band from the HOF.

Re: LOL...

It's a good thing the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame isn't like the MLB or NBA Hall of Fame, where players get banned from the Hall for using illegal substances, getting arrested, gambling on the game, ect.

Indeed...

at least 50% of the folks in the HOF would not be there.

Re: Indeed...

There are 15 nominees this year. Big news is Neil Diamond nominated for the first time.

2010 Rock Hall of Fame Nominees
Alice Cooper: Eligible since 1994; first nomination

Beastie Boys: Eligible since 2007; second nomination

Bon Jovi: Eligible since 2008; first nomination

Chic: Eligible since 2002; sixth nomination

Neil Diamond: Eligible since 1988; first nomination

Donovan: Eligible since 1990; first nomination

Dr. John: Eligible since 1993; first nomination

J. Geils Band: Eligible since 1995; third nomination

LL Cool J: Eligible since 2009; second nomination

Darlene Love: Eligible since 1988; third nomination

Laua Nyro: Eligible since 1992; first nomination

Donna Summer: Eligible since 1999; third nomination

Joe Tex: Eligible since 1990; fourth nomination

Tom Waits: Eligible since 1998; first nomination

Chuck Willis: Eligible since 1986; 6th nomination

Laura Nyro needs to be inducted! Finally some recognition to one of the greatest singer/songwriters of the 60's and the 70's.

I have a feeling that Donovan will get in. Has he honestly had more of a crossover with American music hierarchy than The Smiths? Have they already put the finger up to HOF or something, because I find their exclusion very mysterious.

Bon Jovi nominated BEFORE the Smiths??? Damn,that blows my theory of them trying to get as many as possible in from the 50s,60s,70s before bothering with the 80s artists besides the greats...

Midaso
Bon Jovi nominated BEFORE the Smiths???

It's just depressing.

The only people there I care about making it in are Laura Nyro and Tom Waits.

With the unacclaimed game, a few other things and even this post, I'm on a pretty good run of discovering music that I love thanks to AMF at the moment. I'd never really heard Laura Nyro's stuff before seeing her name on this list and HRS's praise, but I can already see from a few listens that I'm probably going to love absolutely everything she ever did.

Well, Hopefully...

the voters will pass on Bon Jovi. I don't mind some BJ tunes, but what has the band done to enrich music? Where's the artistically superb music, or anything related to it? Can sell out concerts like nobody's business, but that's not a factor for the HOF.

Inductees Leaked?

Supposedly, the class of 2011 has been leaked:
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/the-beat-goes-on/posts/music-power-rankings-train-rolls-to-the-top

Another year to add to Donna Summer's waiting time. :(

Neil Diamond (eligible since 1988)- 22-year wait)
Darlene Love (eligible since 1988- 22-year wait)
Dr. John (eligible since 1993- 17-year wait)
Alice Cooper (eligible since 1994)- 16-year wait)
Tom Waits (eligible since 1998- 12-year wait)

Re: Inductees Leaked?

That list is a pleasant surprise, Tom Waits and Dr. John especially. It's cool that some artists without major hits are now getting in.

As for Neil Diamond, I personally would never listen to him, but it just seems like he belongs.

Neil Diamond...

was one of the more commercially successful acts who was not in the Hall of Fame. Eligible since 1988, that's quite the wait (same as Darlene Love, if they've actually been voted in).

Yep...

those are the five inductees.

Re: Yep...

Tom Waits AND Neil Diamond??? Sounds like a snoby, rich, white, hipster, college guy's wet dream come true. Neil Diamond is popular with any hipster who THINKS they have a good sense of humor (you can also put the Carpenters and Journey into this catagory) and Tom Waits is for the rebelous poetic types who like to bring their guitars to school dispite not taking a single music class.

I'd Put...

the Carpenters in before Journey. :) As the writer of "I'm a Believer," that also gives Neil D. some credence. :)

But, his lengthy wait says something. As of this year, 48 acts have been inducted as soon as they became eligible (including 10 from the hall of Fame's first induction ceremony in 1986).

For many, it's just a matter of how long they have to wait.

These are the acts who waited 10+ years from their eligibility year for induction:

10-Year Wait
Black Sabbath
George Harrison
Paul Simon
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Little Willie John

11-Year Wait
ABBA
Traffic

12-Year Wait
Buddy Guy
Bob Seger