Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LIfe to the Pixies baby!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm following the Pixies next weekend. Seeing them in Nashville on Saturday and Asheville, NC on Sunday. They'll be performing Doolittle, my favorite album, in its entirety. So excited! On another note, perhaps inspired by the Pixies, I read that Weezer might be doing an upcoming tour where they play the Blue and Pinkerton albums in their entirety. Life is good!

Re: LIfe to the Pixies baby!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw them play Doolittle in its entirety last year in October, and it's probably my favourite gig ever. Great thing about these entirety gigs is that you get real fans of the band - you know those people who just stand still and look really uninterested? Not there. You know those maniacs who go to gigs just to be cool and jump around? Not there. It's so awesome.

Yep, I'll be seeing them here in Houston in a couple of weeks. Can't wait.

I saw them for one of their 2 Doolittle concert in Paris last year and it was a huuuuuuuuge deception. It did not suck as much as the Smashing Pumpkins gig 2 or 3 years ago, but they made it quite obvious that they are not happy to play or to be together, except Lovering who seemed quite enthusiastic.
When the people on stage looks like they would rather be somewhere else, the people in the audience starts feeling the same...

Really? I thought it was the opposite. They've basically admitted that it was a money-making venture, but even so there were laughs in between songs, and Kim Deal was grinning the entire way through.

I saw the Pixies do an all-acoustic set once. It was surprisingly good.

Saw them last night, and it was great. It must be bizarre for them to play the same setlist night after night after night, especially considering that it's mostly music they wrote over two decades ago...but the energy level never flagged. Sure, all four of them have less hair now, and Kim's stage banter did feel a bit forced sometimes (though her enthusiasm seemed real enough), but it was one of the most powerful shows I've seen lately.

Anyway, they're the Pixies, not the Who. If they're cashing in (and they are), I can't begrudge them that--they didn't have the chance their first time around, and they're doing it with integrity. Bravissimo.

To be honest, I've never been a huge Pixies fan. When they came up, around '88, I'd grown already tired of guitar-based Alt.Rock. At that period I was more into the the burgeoning Techno/House/Rave scene and considered The Pixies somewhat like Indie-Rock Johnny-come-latelys (funny, in retrospect, when you realize that they were an important influence on the coming '90s Alt.Rock explosion).
However, by accident I caught a show of theirs during the Surfer Rosa tour and must admit it was one of the best live performances I've ever witnessed (and I've seen quite a few). Lots of energy, great screaming by Frank Black. Their albums still don't get me over-excited, though.