Pixies
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
The Clash
Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Madonna
The Velvet Underground

Slick: Here's my list of the artists still left so you can vote for me when I'm vacation.

1. Bob Dylan 20
2. Radiohead
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. Stevie Wonder
6. Pixies
7. The Clash
8. The Velvet Underground
9. The Beatles
10. Prince
11. Nirvana 19
12. Led Zeppelin
13. Beck 18
14. The Who
15. Michael Jackson
16. David Bowie
17. Simon & Garfunkel 17
18. The Stone Roses
19. The Cure
20. Smashing Pumpkins 15
21. Talking Heads
22. Bruce Springsteen
23. Madonna 14
24. Johnny Cash
25. U2
26. Otis Redding
27. James Brown 13
28. Beach Boys
29. Depeche Mode
30. Marvin Gaye 12
31. Pink Floyd
32. Beastie Boys 10
33. Creedence Clearwater Revival
34. Weezer 5
35. Queen 0

Re: UMT 6.1...

PIXIES -- Does the egg come before the chicken, or the chicken before the egg???

WEEZER -- Last rounds debate got me on a pinkerton kick...

STEVIE WONDER -- Been on a Stevie kick lately too...

THE CLASH -- I know its redundant, but "The Only Band That Matters"...

U2 -- To me this is a blowout!!!

JIMI -- Pumpkins got some consideration...

MADONNA -- Worst matchup in the round of 32...

THE CURE -- It is a shame to see 2 of my top 5 (The Cure & Stone Roses) match up. I am hoping and praying that VU does not win this 4-way matchup and The Cure gives the best possible shot at a victory...

Nirvana
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
Jimi Hendrix
The Cure

Slick

THE CURE -- It is a shame to see 2 of my top 5 (The Cure & Stone Roses) match up. I am hoping and praying that VU does not win this 4-way matchup and The Cure gives the best possible shot at a victory...

If the Cure wins, my guess is that it will be caused by the non-AM votes. I would speculate that VU receives at least twice as many AM votes than the Cure.

Pixies
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
James Brown
Madonna
The Cure - Very interesting match-up. I fear that Cure and DM share the same fans and the votes will be split quite evenly.

Pixies
The Beach Boys
The Who
The Clash
Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Madonna
The Velvet Underground

AWESOME LEVEL
1. The Clash
2. The Beach Boys
3. The Who
4. The Velvet Underground
5. Jimi Hendrix
6. Pixies
7. Nirvana
8. Beck
9. U2
10. Stevie Wonder

REALLY GOOD LEVEL
11. James Brown
12. Smashing Pumpkins
13. Madonna

GOOD LEVEL
14. The Cure
15. Simon and Garfunkel
16. Otis Redding
17. Weezer
18. The Stone Roses
19. Depeche Mode

Nirvana
The Beach Boys
The Who
The Clash
Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Otis Redding
The Velvet Underground

Just copying BillAdama here -

Pixies
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
The Clash
Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Madonna
VU

Favourite Artist: VU or Pixies
FNVF:don't really know
Favourite album: London Calling
Favourite song: God Only Knows

Nirvana
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
The Clash
Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Otis Redding
The Velvet Underground

The Pixies vs Nirvana match-up was a real ball buster. I will be so happy if Stevie Wonder can upset The Who.

AM seems to be voting generally more for Stevie, and I'm not entirely sure what the non-AMers vote for. I mean they're both legends, aren't they. Everyone's heard My Generation and Superstition before their tenth birthday. CSI might tip it in the Who's favour, I fear...

So far non-Amers are 5-5 on the Stevie/Who matchup. All the VU votes so far are on AM, but the non-Am are split between the other 3. Just a quick update.

The Round of 32 (35)...
Pixies
The Beach Boys
The Who
The Clash
Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Otis Redding
The Velvet Underground

Pixies(I still don't see the similarities especially when Kim sings. To me the lead singers have to sound alike in order to be compared to each other)
Beach Boys
the Who
the Clash
U2
Jimmy Hendrix
Madonna
Velvet Underground

Nirvana
The Beach Boys - Weezer has stuck around far too long
Stevie Wonder
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
Jimi Hendrix
Otis Redding
pass - 4 of my least favorite acts remaining

Pixies
The Beach Boys
The Who
The Clash
U2
Jimi Hendrix
Otis Redding
The Cure

Nirvana
The Beach Boys
The Who
The Clash
U2
The Smashing Pumpkins
Madonna
The Cure

Winners in bold.

BEST BAND EVER!

1. The Cure (#3)

Awesome (in my top 25)

2. Madonna (#6)
3. Depeche Mode (#12)
4. Stevie Wonder (#18)

Very good (in my top 100)

5. The Velvet Underground (#26)
6. U2 (#57)
7. Otis Redding (#75)
8. Nirvana (#80)

Good (in my top 200)

9. The Clash
10. Jimi Hendrix
11. The Stone Roses
12. James Brown

OK (I like a few songs, dislike a few others, but generally I respect these artists.)

13. The Beach Boys
14. The Smashing Pumpkins

Not for me (I may like a song or two, but I dislike most of what I've heard)

15. Beck
16. Simon & Garfunkel
17. Pixies
18. Weezer

Scrate awful (in my bottom 100 artists)

19. The Who

Moonbeam

19. The Who

So it appears that we can now add The Who to this highly esteemed list that according to my recollection includes: The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, and ???

But, I guess that I am still to believe that these scrate ratings are completely unrelated to a possible "contrarian" perspective

Nirvana
Weezer (yeah, I know, that's odd... I just don't get much of the acclaim of the Beach Boys, even though I do like Surf's Up)
The Who
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
Jimi Hendrix
pass
The Cure (VU & Nico is easily the best albums any of those 4 bands have ever made, but I regard the Cure as a better "songs" ban... tough call anyway)

Pixies
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
Jimi Hendrix
Madonna
Depeche Mode

Pixies
The Beach Boys
The Who
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
Jimi Hendrix
Otis Redding
The Velvet Underground

Nirvana (Teacher vs. Student)
Beach Boys
Who
Clash
U2
Jimi
Otis (Laughable in this round)
Cure (Epic match)

Henry
Moonbeam

19. The Who

So it appears that we can now add The Who to this highly esteemed list that according to my recollection includes: The Beatles, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, and ???

But, I guess that I am still to believe that these scrate ratings are completely unrelated to a possible "contrarian" perspective

Yes, indeed! I don't deny the influence of these artists nor their importance- I just really don't like what I hear.

Pixies
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
The Clash
Beck
James Brown
Madonna
The Velvet Underground

No bells and whistles this round, just comments.

PIXIES OVER NIRVANA
In the 17 years since their last album, Nirvana has held up very, very well. But not as well as the Pixies. The entry on (I think) “Wave of Mutilation” in the Pitchfork 500 says something to the effect that the Pixies measure up to the Velvet Underground in terms of innovation, subject matter, and, especially, influence. That’s correct.

THE BEACH BOYS OVER WEEZER
I love Weezer…well, early Weezer...and this is a bit closer than I thought it would be. But “God Only Knows” and “Good Vibrations” by themselves are probably enough to take out the big W.

THE WHO OVER STEVIE WONDER
An almost impossible choice, and I’m making it for what might be an idiosyncratic reason—I absolutely love the Who’s peak. It’s just that I think it came in 1965-66 (I do like Who’s Next, though). If I was going on career instead, it would be Stevie.

THE CLASH OVER SIMON AND GARFUNKEL
S&G are one of the 60s most endearing acts. But come on.

U2 OVER BECK
They’ll take away my hipster card for this, but I think U2 has been at least, um, consistent over their career. Beck has been more uneven, for all that he did great work in the 90s.

JIMI HENDRIX OVER JAMES BROWN OVER SMASHING PUMPKINS
Incredibly easy to rank these three. Billy Corgan really shouldn’t be in the final 36. James Brown should. And Jimi deserves to go on.

OTIS REDDING OVER MADONNA
I’ve surprised myself by going for Madge without much, if any hesitation in each of the previous three rounds. But she does not hold a candle to Otis.

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND OVER THE CURE OVER THE STONE ROSES OVER DEPECHE MODE
The comments I made on the VU/Cure matchup last week apply again, squared. While I think it’s absolutely clear that none of the other three bands would have made the music they did—or possibly even existed—without VU, I probably did make too much of the argument from influence last time. The real reason I think VU absolutely towers over the other 3 bands here (all of whom I like) is that, on their best days, Robert Smith, Ian Brown, John Squire and Dave Gahan don’t even come close to what Reed and Cale accomplished in 1966-68.

Henry
Moonbeam

19. The Who

Nah, I don't think Moonbeam's contrarian...although how many folks even take the trouble to make a "bottom 100" list?

My musical tastes don't polarize like that, but it would be an interesting exercise to assemble such a list. Let's see...Toby Keith is probably #1...

Nirvana
The Beach Boys
Stevie Wonder
Simon & Garfunkel
U2
Jimi Hendrix
Otis Redding
The Velvet Underground

Pixies
Weezer
Stevie Wonder
The Clash
Beck
The Smashing Pumpkins
Otis Redding
The Velvet Underground

schleuse
Henry
Moonbeam

19. The Who

Nah, I don't think Moonbeam's contrarian...although how many folks even take the trouble to make a "bottom 100" list?

My musical tastes don't polarize like that, but it would be an interesting exercise to assemble such a list. Let's see...Toby Keith is probably #1...

I am with you on Toby Keith being #1. Followed by Nickelback, Skynyrd, Lady Gaga... I could go on forever. I see VU winning todays matchup, they are slowly veering towards this list for me as well...

I don't think Moonbeam's contrarian, I just think he's harsher on bands he doesn't like that are popular than on bands he doesn't like that aren't. His emotional reaction to the culture of a band influences his opinion of that band.

Slick
schleuse
Henry
Moonbeam

19. The Who

I am with you on Toby Keith being #1. Followed by Nickelback, Skynyrd, Lady Gaga... I could go on forever. I see VU winning todays matchup, they are slowly veering towards this list for me as well...

Well, my actual point (which apparently I obscured too cleverly) was that I think a "bottom 100" list is kind of silly.

There are bands I don't like and that I doubt I ever will--the Doors being the most-acclaimed example. But if enough people whose opinions I respect see something in an artist--Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead--I feel obliged to give them a fair shake (actually, several fair shakes). Even if they never make my top 100 or 200 or 500 (of these examples, Zeppelin might now make the top 500, the others, not so much), I'm not going to insist they be consigned to outer darkness.

Every expansion of one's personal taste is correct. Every diminishment of one's personal taste is a mistake. (I know this sounds dogmatic, but I do believe it.)

So don't give up on VU, Slick. From what I can tell of your tastes, I predict they'll grow on you eventually...

I actually like VU, a little. Just pissed their going to knock The Cure out of the tournament!!!

Hold on, I am counting the votes right now and it is 15-15 VU/The Cure and one more place to look for votes... Maybe I won't have a reason to hate VU!!!

Last place for votes, The Slicknation facebook fanpage. Had 1 Stone Roses and one VU giving The Velvets the win. Also has 1 Pixies, 1 Nirvana leaving them deadlocked at 20 and having them battle it out again next round.

*** TIE Pixies & Nirvana 50% each ***
Beach Boys 75% / Weezer 25%
Stevie Wonder 52.5% / The Who 47.5%
Clash 67.5% / Simon & Garfunkel 32.5%
U2 64.1% / Beck 35.9%
Jimi 80% / James Brown 10% / Pumpkins 10%
Madonna 55.3% / Otis 44.7%
VU 41% / Cure 38.6% / DM & Stone Roses 10.2% each

Pixies-Nirvana is the UMT’s most appropriate tie to date, and the 3-way in the sweet 16 (17) will be interesting. My guess is that the hard-core music geeks most likely to vote for the Beach Boys will drain more votes from the Pixies than from Nirvana, and that Kurt & co. will move on to the final 8.

Goddamn, too late. For what it's worth:

Pixies 19 vs. NIRVANA 19
WEEZER 19 vs. The Beach Boys 15
STEVIE WONDER 19 vs. The Who 14
The Clash 15 vs. SIMON & GARFUNKEL 18
U2 16 vs. Beck 15
Jimi Hendrix 16 vs. JAMES BROWN 17 vs. The Smashing Pumpkins 17
MADONNA 17 vs. Otis Redding 15
Depeche Mode 13 vs. The Stone Roses 15 vs. THE CURE 16 vs. The Velvet Underground 14

bye Weezer, horrible match-up but there we are. Also RIP Nirvana and Pixies, will split the vote next round and Beach Boys will win out

Ddiamondd
Goddamn, too late. For what it's worth:

Pixies 19 vs. NIRVANA 19
WEEZER 19 vs. The Beach Boys 15
STEVIE WONDER 19 vs. The Who 14
The Clash 15 vs. SIMON & GARFUNKEL 18
U2 16 vs. Beck 15
Jimi Hendrix 16 vs. JAMES BROWN 17 vs. The Smashing Pumpkins 17
MADONNA 17 vs. Otis Redding 15
Depeche Mode 13 vs. The Stone Roses 15 vs. THE CURE 16 vs. The Velvet Underground 14

bye Weezer, horrible match-up but there we are. Also RIP Nirvana and Pixies, will split the vote next round and Beach Boys will win out

Cure/VU would have tied again...
Nirvana would have won. Those two will battle it out again Monday Night.

schleuse
Pixies-Nirvana is the UMT’s most appropriate tie to date, and the 3-way in the sweet 16 (17) will be interesting. My guess is that the hard-core music geeks most likely to vote for the Beach Boys will drain more votes from the Pixies than from Nirvana, and that Kurt & co. will move on to the final 8.

I think it's more likely Pixies and Nirvana will split each others' votes.

I'm so thrilled that The Cure did so well- not only did they tie VU head-to-head, they nearly did it again when 2 artists more likely to steal from their votes were lumped in! I'm sad to see them go, but they put up a great fight. VU is worthy of the top 16, so it's all good.