Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New VH1 100 Greatest Artists of All Time List

I went through the 1998 list and this one. Here is the 2010 list, with 1998 rankings in parentheses; if the act didn't place in the 1998 list, a () indicates that.

Non-ranked Top 5
The Beatles (1)
Bob Dylan (5)
Michael Jackson (40)
Led Zeppelin (4)
Rolling Stones (2)

6. Jimi Hendrix (3)
7. Prince (18)
8. Elvis Presley (8)
9. James Brown (6)
10. Stevie Wonder (11)
11. Bob Marley (24)
12. David Bowie (7)
13. The Who (9)
14. Nirvana (42)
15. The Beach Boys (13)
16. Madonna (86)
17. Queen (33)
18. Pink Floyd (19)
19. U2 (29)
20. Marvin Gaye (14)
21. Bruce Springsteen (27)
22. The Clash (31)
23. AC/DC (-)
24. The Velvet Underground (74)
25. Chuck Berry (26)
26. Neil Young (30)
27. Aretha Franklin (21)
28. Elton John (17)
29. Radiohead (-)
30. Aerosmith (79)
31. John Lennon (16)
32. Black Sabbath (-)
33. Guns N' Roses (-)
34. Tina Turner (80)
35. Johnny Cash (89)
36. Paul McCartney (62)
37. Fleetwood Mac (22)
38. Sly & The Family Stone (28)
39. The Kinks (56)
40. The Police (10)
41. Van Halen (48)
42. Metallica (-)
43. Ray Charles (12)
44. Joni Mitchell (32)
45. Al Green (37)
46. Ramones (88)
47. Jay-Z (-)
48. Rage Against The Machine (-)
49. Parliament-Funkadelic (99)
50. Sade (-)
51. Billy Joel (78)
52. Beyonce (-)
53. Little Richard (36)
54. Public Enemy (-)
55. Peter Gabriel (53)
56. KISS (67)
57. Iggy & The Stooges (Iggy Pop- 83)
58. Cheap Trick (-)
59. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (43)
60. Whitney Houston (-)
61. Cream (52)
62. Genesis (-)
63. Notorious B.I.G. (-)
64. Talking Heads (66)
65. The Doors (20)
66. Justin Timberlake (-)
67. Coldplay (-)
68. Otis Redding (35)
69. Tupac Shakur (-)
70. Def Leppard (-)
71. R.E.M. (50)
72. Janis Joplin (42)
73. Van Morrison (25)
74. The Cure (-)
75. Rush (-)
76. Run-D.M.C. (-)
77. Lynyrd Skynyrd (96)
78. Judas Priest (-)
79. Eminem (-)
80. Mary J. Blige (-)
81. ABBA (-)
82. Steely Dan (57)
83. Earth, Wind and Fire (60)
84. Curtis Mayfield (75)
85. The Band (81)
86. N.W.A. (-)
87. George Michael (-)
88. Bee Gees (76)
89. Beastie Boys (-)
90. Elvis Costello (38)
91. Green Day (-)
92. LL Cool J (-)
93. Pearl Jam (-)
94. Mariah Carey (-)
95. OutKast (-)
96. Journey (-)
97. Pretenders (69)
98. Depeche Mode (-)
99. Hall & Oates (-)
100. Alicia Keys (-)

This new list was not kind to Motown and older acts. But, they're surveying music industry people, artists, etc., so it's bound to change.

Acts from the 1998 list who do not appear in the 2010 list (and their 1998 rank)

Eric Clapton (15)
The Eagles (23)
Buddy Holly (34)
Miles Davis (39)
The Jackson 5 (44)
Crosby, Stills and Nash (45)
The Sex Pistols (46)
Creedence Clearwater Revival (47)
Roy Orbison (49)
B.B. King (51)
Grateful Dead (54)
The Byrds (55)
Sam Cooke (58)
Bo Diddley (59)
Smokey Robinson (61)
Sting (63)
Frank Zappa (64)
James Taylor (65)
Allman Brothers (68)
Stevie Ray Vaughan (70)
Rod Stewart (71)
Simon and Garfunkel (72)
Mudy Waters (73)
Devo (82)
T. Rex (84)
Carole King (85)
Santana (87)
Tom Waits (90)
Gladys Knight and the Pips (91)
The Temptations (92)
The Four Tops (93)
Diana Ross and The Supremes (94)
Robert Johnson (95)
Fats Domino (97)
Traffic (98)
Paul Simon (100)

Re: New VH1 100 Greatest Artists of All Time List

Eric Clapton solo will not be missed by me, but I think including Jackson in a top 5 artists of all time list has to be influenced by his semi-recent death. Top 5 entertainers of all time I wouldn't argue with.

Yeah...

same with Johnny Cash's rank compared to the older list. Granted, theists likely do not have the same contributors, but, still.

Some newer acts are ranked too high- i.e. Beyonce, Justin Timberlake. They're probably the nest of the last 10 years in terms of mainstream pop, though.

Re: Yeah...

So the Pretenders made it, but Blondie didn't? What the hell?

Re: Yeah...

I think R.E.M, Costello and Talking Heads are too low. Then, if this is a list more oriented to the pop side, I'm pissed off that Oasis doesn't appear in any of the two lists.

Look at some of the switchs: Tom Waits is out and Mariah Carey is in? WTF, she was this week here in Brazil singing in a rodeo... this is beyond decadence, even though she might have earned a LOT of cash (which is only further evidence of how much she needs the money LOL)

Some changes for the good and for the bad. I find it hard to believe that Beyonce is more important that Buddy Holly and Coldplay deserves to outrank Otis Redding, but it's got a somewhat better balance chronologically.

Their older inclusions are generally good, if you only count well-known acts, but their newer inclusions are a bit eyebrow-raising. Beyonce? Really? On a list based on career sums and lasting appeal, we're going to put pop flavors of the week that high?

The Voters...

chose who they thought were the greatest- similar to Rolling Stone's voters who compiled the Immortals- 100 Greatest Artists list.

I had thought Blondie appeared in the 1998 list, but it didn't. Debbie Harry placed well on the 100 Greatest Women list, but that was voted on by ALL women, from the music industry and other industries such as fashion, literature, politics, etc.

Re: The Voters...

sooooo glad that Robert Johnson finally walked the plank... mostest overratesticlesfested artist EVER...

(pause/theatrical trailer scratch)

wait, what,...really? he was in the VH1'98::t100? wow, that echoes back to me like those things the mid-'90's sidenotes did to my subconsciousocial memory: pardon_me_but: say that again... W.S. Burroughs, Timothy Leary and Billy Wilder were still alive when i just tried my first shot of paracetamol in the forehead?? that they were walking on the very same planet at the very same time, and that only their obituaries told me that they were actually alive all the time and that i breathed the same air all the while?

so:.. really, VH1? robert johnson... really? dog, I'm glad that you put him off of your list, cus everything else would make me think that he'd still be talking and walking and breathing the same air as every other yikeling of the 21st century.., and that would be just... well, not sooo muuch devilogue after all, just like a late-ish South Park episode... poison spitting through a toothless mouth... and mimicking rattlesnake sounds that remind you of snoring ducks after all..

HRS
she was this week here in Brazil singing in a rodeo... this is beyond decadence

Hahah, I thought the same thing when I discovered she would come to Barretos party!

VH1 has Sade at #50. Nuff said.

schleuse
VH1 has Sade at #50. Nuff said.

Hey! They rule!

Toni
HRS
she was this week here in Brazil singing in a rodeo... this is beyond decadence

Hahah, I thought the same thing when I discovered she would come to Barretos party!

Since her cover of "I Wanna Know What Love Is" was everywhere because of that stupid soap opera, which nothing happened and everybody was cheating, i thought she was going to sing in a huge stadium or a big show... not a rodeo for god's sake, she's been in a bad time... hahaha, i guess she does have a lot of cash!

Re: The Voters...

nj
sooooo glad that Robert Johnson finally walked the plank... mostest overratesticlesfested artist EVER...

(pause/theatrical trailer scratch)

wait, what,...really? he was in the VH1'98::t100? wow, that echoes back to me like those things the mid-'90's sidenotes did to my subconsciousocial memory: pardon_me_but: say that again... W.S. Burroughs, Timothy Leary and Billy Wilder were still alive when i just tried my first shot of paracetamol in the forehead?? that they were walking on the very same planet at the very same time, and that only their obituaries told me that they were actually alive all the time and that i breathed the same air all the while?

so:.. really, VH1? robert johnson... really? dog, I'm glad that you put him off of your list, cus everything else would make me think that he'd still be talking and walking and breathing the same air as every other yikeling of the 21st century.., and that would be just... well, not sooo muuch devilogue after all, just like a late-ish South Park episode... poison spitting through a toothless mouth... and mimicking rattlesnake sounds that remind you of snoring ducks after all..

Your best one yet, nj.