Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sufjan Stevens Tour/New Album?

It wasn't to long ago that sufjan was on the road with some new material. With the recent tour announcement, and high end venue selection, I'm putting my money on a nearing release TBA very very soon. I also read an article recently where a member of THE NATIONAL mentioned that he was helping sufjan finish recording (Guest Musician?) Crossing me finger for a RADIOHEAD like surprise...lol The new material sounds amazing. The 4 tracks Ive heard stand with anything in the pop canyon. An early contender for AOD. LETS NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES RIGHT? Regardless...Im pumped, anyone else?

Re: Sufjan Stevens Tour/New Album?

Well, it seems 'very very soon' meant about two hours from that post! The EP "All Delighted People" just got released this morning, in fact.

Streaming it from Pitchfork right now. The opening title track is absolutely epic, but I can't wait to hear how the classic rock version goes!

I'll give it a try tomorrow but I'm just wondering: how exactly can a one-hour album be an EP?

Stephan
I'll give it a try tomorrow but I'm just wondering: how exactly can a one-hour album be an EP?

When it's by Sufjan Stevens.

Harold Wexler
Stephan
When it's by Sufjan Stevens.
Madness I tell you, madness!

I don't know have anything released this year sounded as good after first spin (maybe Sister World). Maybe it's just that I'm tired in a good way. Need to listen to it tomorrow again when I'm more awake
The last track is over 17 minutes long and it didn't feel too long at all.

Alright, I couldn't wait until tomorrow and tried it anyway. Seems to me like this could have been a great EP if he stuck to EP length, right now some of the songs (particularly the first and last one) seem a little stretched. Then again, the original version of All Delighted People definitely has the best moments.

lol...WOW I called that one. This stuff is absolutely amazing. Reminds me of "The Wings" best moments. I CAN BARELY BREATHE. This is sooo fucking good!

Songs Too Long?...No way!

To quote, err... myself:

"As for Sufjan... well, I don't care which direction he goes next. He could drop an a-cappella armpit-fart album and I'd probably sign on."

An armpit-fart album, this is not. It's a f#cking stunning piece of work. He sounds more... mature, and I'm just thrilled that some new Sufjan tunes have finally materialized.

Is the only way to get this streaming?

I paid $5 for the download. I don't know why he doesn't offer some kind of physical CD too.

BillAdama
Is the only way to get this streaming?

I'm wondering the same. I can hold out for a physical release if one is coming. I don't want to be forced to pay for digital downloads.

Yeah, I'm sick of waiting for a reasonably priced physical release of A Mountain Is A Mouth. I might break down and download Tame Impala - Innerspeaker too.

If they release digital format first, they should at least have the courtesy to say whether they intend to release a physical version so people don't pay twice.

From what I'm hearing it's awesome though, if maybe a slight bit overproduced, still easy top ten caliber.

And screw this EP crap. I'm going to go find a record industry glossary and smack Sufjan over the head with it. This is an LP.

I felt I was a terrible fanboy when I only heard of this release this afternoon. But I'm not dissappointed. Not quite on the level of Illinois, but a solid album nonetheless.

Speaking of which.

Henrik, is this going to be eligable for AM? Is a 60 minute album excluded just because it's artist decides to pretend it's an EP just to inform the fans 'Don't worry, more coming'?

It's here! The new album announcement!

Age of Adz by Sufjan Stevens will be released this October. This is pretty exciting, especially considering the fact that most of us had written off Sufjan as a Jeff Mangum-type.

Wow! I just saw that All Delighted People was #48 on the Billboard albums chart this week! And the album was released midweek no less. Has Sufjan finally found a mainstream audience, or are record sales just that far down since Illinois? (peaked at #121)

I think Arcade Fire debuted at #1.

It's a combination of sales just being that far down, and Sufjan having a rabid fanbase that will buy anything he puts out immediately, and that is way more inclined to buy full albums than fans of mainstream bands.

With Sufjan Stevens releasing an album, I think that makes it so pretty much every great act that didn't release an album in 2008 or 2009 and is still together has released an album this year. (That works, if you go by In Rainbows' physical release date. I know, a bit convenient.)

I can only think of a few smaller acts that haven't. Jens Lekman, for instance.

I miss Modest Mouse =[
Hopefully we will have all these great bands all releasing albums in 2013...

Holy Fuk! Is this the greatest year in music history or what. I can't think of any other year where great music has been so...Available? If the recordings of "The age Of Adaz, Too Much, and Impossible Souls" are half as good as they were live in Toronto, this record is going to blow everything out of the race for EOY #1.

we still have: Radiohead, Panda Bear, Avey Tare, Grinderman, Outkast (MAYBE), and much much more.

Im sooo excited!

New song from Age of Adz is out... Its called "I Walked" and it is fantastic! Its the fourth song on the album...

After a week of listening, I think "From the Mouth of Gabriel" is emerging as my favorite.