Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Acclaimed Acts Not in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

With the new slate of nominees set to come next month, I thought it would be Interesting to look and see which of the top-ranked acts are not in the Hall of Fame. Just looking at the top 100 right now.

(Eligibility dates in parentheses)

The Smiths (2008)
Beastie Boys (2007)
Lou Reed (1997)
Roxy Music (1997)
Kraftwerk (1996)
Sonic Youth (2007)
Joy Division (2003)
New Order (2006)
John Coltrane (since the first induction ceremony in 1986)
Tom Waits (1998)
The Jam (2002)
The Cure (2002)
Brian Eno (1999)
Nick Cave (2009)
Frank Sinatra (since first induction in 1986; not even as an Early Influence!)
Captain Beefheart (1991)
Nick Drake (1994)
T. Rex (1993)

One thing I don't grasp: How Smokey Robinson is induced as a solo act, and The Miracles are not. As a solo act, Smokey's not even in the top 1,000 here at AM. A whole 'nother topic could be made on the acts who are in the HOF who have not racked up all that much acclaim compared to some others- such as, acts not ranked in the AM Top 500 who are in the HOF.

Re: Acclaimed Acts Not in Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

JR
With the new slate of nominees set to come next month, I thought it would be Interesting to look and see which of the top-ranked acts are not in the Hall of Fame. Just looking at the top 100 right now.

(Eligibility dates in parentheses)

The Smiths (2008)
Beastie Boys (2007)
Lou Reed (1997)
Roxy Music (1997)
Kraftwerk (1996)
Sonic Youth (2007)
Joy Division (2003)
New Order (2006)
John Coltrane (since the first induction ceremony in 1986)
Tom Waits (1998)
The Jam (2002)
The Cure (2002)
Brian Eno (1999)
Nick Cave (2009)
Frank Sinatra (since first induction in 1986; not even as an Early Influence!)
Captain Beefheart (1991)
Nick Drake (1994)
T. Rex (1993)

One thing I don't grasp: How Smokey Robinson is induced as a solo act, and The Miracles are not. As a solo act, Smokey's not even in the top 1,000 here at AM. A whole 'nother topic could be made on the acts who are in the HOF who have not racked up all that much acclaim compared to some others- such as, acts not ranked in the AM Top 500 who are in the HOF.

Wow, I think just about all of those artists deserve it!

A few of those omissions are criminal.

Rush
Iron Maiden
Deep Purple
Thin Lizzy
Yes

And good luck with Kraftwerk... The people who run the hall of fame pretty much hate progressive rock and metal.

The only one I can see not being in there is Beefheart.
But really, these guys aren't in when Genesis is?
The only rap act currently in the hall in Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (And there's corruption behind it!)

But really, the Smiths not in the Hall is as retarded as Pete Rose not in baseball's hall.

Listyguy
The only one I can see not being in there is Beefheart.
But really, these guys aren't in when Genesis is?
The only rap act currently in the hall in Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five (And there's corruption behind it!)

But really, the Smiths not in the Hall is as retarded as Pete Rose not in baseball's hall.

And to think, the Smiths didn't even bet on music.

Rap...

Listyguy- the HOF inducted Run-DMC, as well. If any genre is not represented, it's country. Sure, the Country Hall of Fame existed years and years before the Rock Hall, but, still. If a couple of big country acts can make it into the HOF, then why not a few others, like Dolly Parton?

The Smiths have been eligible for just two years- perhaps this year?

Side note- funny about Dave Clark Five- not even ranked in the top 2000 at AM, though it finally got inducted in 2008.

Re: Rap...

I think the Zombies are another big omission.

On another note, who here has actually visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I did recently, and was pleasantly surprised to find that acts not inducted in the hall of fame are still represented in the museum. For example, right when I walked in there was a small exhibit on Joy Division/New Order, which included the handwritten lyrics to "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "Blue Monday." Also, "How Soon is Now?" was played during one of the videos. While all the mentioned artists should probably be in, it's not the museum's fault, it's the foundation's. The museum is a must-visit for any music fan who happens to be in the area.

JR
Listyguy- the HOF inducted Run-DMC, as well. If any genre is not represented, it's country. Sure, the Country Hall of Fame existed years and years before the Rock Hall, but, still. If a couple of big country acts can make it into the HOF, then why not a few others, like Dolly Parton?

The Smiths have been eligible for just two years- perhaps this year?

Side note- funny about Dave Clark Five- not even ranked in the top 2000 at AM, though it finally got inducted in 2008.

I had forgotten about Run. I agree that the exclusion of country is wrong (No Hank Williams? Come on!)

Evan
And to think, the Smiths didn't even bet on music.

I notice this list excludes artists not yet eligable to be inducted (Nirvana, Radiohead, White Stripes, GNR)

These are the ones I would expect to get in soon:

Beastie Boys (2007)
Lou Reed (1997)
John Coltrane (1986)
Tom Waits (1998)
Frank Sinatra

These are the ones that will get in eventually:
The Smiths (2008)
Sonic Youth (2007)
The Cure (2002)
Brian Eno (1999)

That leaves:

Roxy Music (1997)
Kraftwerk (1996)
Joy Division (2003)
New Order (2006)
The Jam (2002)
Nick Cave (2009)
Captain Beefheart (1991)
Nick Drake (1994)
T. Rex (1993)

They just aren't popular enough in America to get in.

Of course, ALL of these artists are in the AM Hall of Acclaim...(although, iirc, it took FOREVER to get T. Rex in).

It was frustration at the RRHOF's glaring omissions (and commissions) that inspired the HOA in the first place. I like ours better.

Jackson
On another note, who here has actually visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I did recently, and was pleasantly surprised to find that acts not inducted in the hall of fame are still represented in the museum.

I was there four years ago on an ill-fated trip with my then- 2 year old twins. One thing I noticed before the bored and misbehaving toddlers forced us to leave was a surprising amount of stuff on Sonic Youth. There was a video in which Moore and Rinaldo discussed their influences (particularly Glenn Branca), and some memorabilia as well. The curators there are defintely not the same as the voters.

I went to college about 20 miles from Cleveland, so when my family was there for graduation, we spent a day in Cleveland, including the hall of fame.

If Frank Sinatra is going to be considered for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, than so should The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Kate Smith, and Jim Nabors.

Kate Bush HAS to be inducted soon. Her influence in music is more relevant than ever. If the Hall of Fame were anywhere else but the US she'd be inducted in a heartbeat.

Listyguy

I had forgotten about Run. I agree that the exclusion of country is wrong (No Hank Williams? Come on!)

Hank Williams is already inducted in the "early influences" category which includes those "whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rock's leading artists."

And Tom Waits has been chosen for 2011 inductions, so you can count him in already.