Pixies
The White Stripes
New Order
The Decemberists
Sufjan Stevens
Nirvana
Wilco
De La Soul

Voting against Elvis and Arcade Fire nearly killed me.

Re: UMT 3.1...

Great great group of bands, unfortunately that's something that's unavoidable at this point. That said

Pixies
The White Stripes
New Order
Kings of Leon
Sufjan Stevens
Nirvana
Wilco
De La Soul

It seems to me like most of the match-ups are prety lop-sided except for KoL vs Decemberists, which doesn't interest me, Elvis vs Pixies, and the three way. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top between Wilco and Arcade Fire on this board.

Slicks Votes... PIXIES... WHITE STRIPES... NEW ORDER.... KINGS OF LEON... TESLA... NIRVANA... ARCADE FIRE.... DE LA SOUL...

Slicks Predictions...
ELVIS -- Though lots of support for Pixies could make this close, Elvis wins by 3 or 4 votes.
WHITE STRIPES -- Should win by at least 80% of the vote.
NEW ORDER -- Barely escapes, votes will be similar to Elvis/Pixies matchup.
KINGS OF LEON -- Seem to have more support.
TOSS UP -- This matchup will depend on who has a bigger percentage of the votes, Acclaimed Music forum, or the non-AMers on facebook and e-mail. i.e. if there are 33 voters someone will win 17-16.
NIRVANA -- Will win big, sleeper final four pick.
DURAN DURAN -- Chances are Wilco and Arcade Fire fans will cancel each other out and DD will squeak it out. That is unless all the 5 or 6 Wilco votes go towards AF, then it could get really interesting...
TOSS UP -- This one will be too close to tell, if I had to I would think De La Soul pulls a mild upset.

Pixies
The White Stripes
New Order
The Decemberists
Sufjan Stevens
Nirvana

If Sufjan doesn't win I will close AM.

Pixies
White Stripes
New Order
Kings of Leon
Sufjan Stevens
Nirvana
Arcade Fire
De La Soul

I'm afraid indeed Duran Duran might win because of AMers votes spread between Wilco and AF.

#1 Elvis Presley
#3 The White Stripes
#5 Dire Straits
#10 The Decemberists
#16 Sufjan Stevens
#3 Jackie Wilson
#4 Arcade Fire
#7 De La Soul

Elvis (Why does this forum hate Elvis so much???)
White Stripes
Dire Straits
Decamberists (I hate the kings)
pass
Nirvana
Duran Duran
No Doubt

Fave: Elvis (With Nirvana Close behind)
FNVF: Pixies

I don't think anyone in here hates Elvis; in fact, I'm sure most people quite like him. But the Pixies are just in another league music-wise. They've got four solid albums, two of which are inarguable masterpieces, and are considered to be perhaps the most influential alternative/indie band of the 80's/90's.

Elvis is great and well-respected for his influence on later artists, but I enjoy his music far less than I do the Pixies. It's mostly a genre thing. That, and the fact that Elvis didn't write his own music could be a big one.

The whole Wilco/Arcade Fire vote splitting thing is very very unfortunate. But I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

And go Sufjan! If Tesla wins I'll consider it one of the great injustices of this music forum.

After 2 hours... Sufjan is up 8-7. Non-AM vote is 6-3 Tesla. DD-7, AF-7, Wilco-2...

22 hours and @16 more votes to go...

Pixies
White Stripes
New Order
Sufjan Stevens
Nirvana
Arcade Fire (if they beat John Coltrane, they better advance further than this round)
De La Soul

The Arcade Fire/Wilco matchup is like an election: If there are 2 republicans, they split the votes and the demorcrat wins. The same thing is happening here.

#1 Elvis Presley (I can't vote against him, not for the Pixies, who are a great band but not in Elvis' league.)
#3 The White Stripes
#1 New Order
#6 Kings Of Leon
#2 Nirvana
#4 Arcade Fire
#7 De La Soul

Pixies
The White Stripes
New Order - Like Dire Straits, but those NO hits were far more evocative.
The Decemberists
Sufjan Stevens
Jackie Wilson
Arcade Fire
De La Soul

Favorite this round - White Stripes
Favorite not voted for - Presley

Elvis Presley
Sublime
New Order
Kings of Leon
Sufjan Stevens
Jackie Wilson
Wilco
De La Soul

#1 Elvis Presley
#3 The White Stripes
#1 New Order
#6 Kings Of Leon
#16 Sufjan Stevens
#2 Nirvana
#9 Wilco
#7 De La Soul

Oh no - Elvis is going to lose,if this forum is anything to go by. Then again,I'd be lying if I seriously thought he'd get much further than this...

Pixies (Yes, I like Elvis fine.)
The White Stripes
New Order
The Decemberists
Sufjan Stevens
Nirvana
Arcade Fire
De La Soul

Yeah, Arcade Fire/Wilco is just a terrible choice to have to make at this stage (and I actually quite like Duran Duran, too). I listed Wilco as my favorite artist of their group in round two, but since then I’ve listened to the new Arcade Fire and I think I have to give them the nod.

#5 Pixies
Elvis'll win. I like the stuff he did in the Sun recordings at the very start. But I feel he went sharply downhill afterwards. He got gradually less emotional and more glossy and overproduced, culminating in what I consider the all time anthem for soft racism.
#3 The White Stripes
Sublime has a lot of awesome songs, but the Stripes have some of the best, rawest guitar rock of the millennium.
#5 Dire Straits
I like New Order but find them a bit overrated.
#10 The Decemberists
I hate Kings of Leon. Strongly.
#16 Sufjan Stevens
It's a miracle Sufjan got this far. Can we keep him going? Fortunately he probably got the softest draw a 16 seed could have hoped to get.
#2 Nirvana
I like Jackie Wilson, but it's Nirvana!
#9 Wilco
Arcade Fire was awesome tonight. But I like Wilco more.
#7 De La Soul
No Doubt oversold, which caused them to become underrated. But then they stopped selling, and transmogrified from 'I'm just a girl...' to 'Boys say Hey Baby!' Which I can't forgive them for against a band I like.

Pixies
White Stripes
Dire Straits
Kings of Leon
Sufjan Stevens
Nirvana
Arcade Fire
No Doubt

Elvis
White Stripes
Dire Straits
pass
pass
Jackie Wilson
Duran Duran
No Doubt

Both Elvis and the Pixies could have won the Kings of Leon/Decemberists matchup, and the Sufian/Telsa matchup, and would of had shots at winning most of the other matchups today.

#5 Pixies
#3 The White Stripes
#1 New Order
#10 The Decemberists
#16 Sufjan Stevens
#2 Nirvana
#4 Arcade Fire
#7 De La Soul

#5 Pixies
#3 The White Stripes
#5 Dire Straits
#10 The Decemberists
#16 Sufjan Stevens
#2 Nirvana
#9 Wilco
#7 De La Soul

#1 Elvis Presley
#3 The White Stripes
#5 Dire Straits
#10 The Decemberists
#16 Sufjan Stevens
#2 Nirvana
#4 Arcade Fire
#3 No Doubt

I'm worried Arcade Fire and Wilco are splitting each others' votes and the mainstream contingent is going to push Duran Duran over the top.

I should have voted Arcade Fire. Arcade Fire would have beaten Duran Duran on their own, but Wilco is going to become Arcade Fire's Nader.

First bracket? Wow, seriously strong stuff.

Pixies - Elvis is king but Pixies...Pixies...well, I'm wearing a Doolittle t-shirt right now. My favourite album of the 80s. They are a tremendous band.

White Stripes - Hardly know Sublime. The White Stripes are just an excellent band, and furthermore one of the proper rock mainstays of the decade I grew up in alongside acts such as Muse, Queens of the Stone Age, The Strokes and...

New Order - Dire Straits are good. New Order are great.

Kings of Leon - ...this lot. I'm going to forget their last album because the first three are all just flippin' excellent. Decemberists are in a tough bracket but pre-sellout KoL were up there with the very best of their peers.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois doesn't hit as hard for me as it does for some, granted. But I spent a large portion of 2009 looking over my shoulder at the previous nine years, and Sufjan was a man I went back to time and time again.

Nirvana - No question. One of the best bands of all time. Anyone - anyone - who was born, as I was, in 1991 will have a place for Nirvana in their hearts. They'll know the hits, and most'll know the rest.

Arcade Fire - Duran Duran are great fun. Wilco are lovely albeit (imo) overrated - an opinion I know won't go down all too well with some people here. But the Fire are something else. The Suburbs further cements their rep as on top of the pile. Hope they go through.

De La Soul - Party time, all the time. No Doubt are a fun pop outfit too but DLS go one further.

There were an all-time high 37 voters, 20 on AM, 17 on facebook/e-mail and the results show. Pixies over Elvis 19-18 (on AM Pixies 13-7/non-AM Elvis 12-6)... Sufjan Stevens 20-16 (16-1 AM/15-4 non-AM)... and in rd.#2 Duran Duran tied Wilco and in rd#3 Duran Duran tied Arcade Fire 15-15 with Wilco getting 6 votes. In rd#4 DD & AF will battle w/De La Soul...

Results from 3.1...
Pixies 51.4% / Elvis Presley 48.6%
White Stripes 86.5% / Sublime 13.5%
New Order 67.6% / Dire Straits 32.4%
Kings Of Leon 67.6% / Decemberists 32.4%
Sufjan Stevens 55.6% / Tesla 44.4%
Nirvana 80.6% / Jackie Wilson 19.4%
Duran Duran & Arcade Fire 41.7% / Wilco 16.6%
De La Soul 63.9% / No Doubt 36.1%

Slick
In rd#4 DD & AF will battle w/De La Soul...

Should be an easy win for the best rap group ever. Pity Elvis went - I like the Pixies,but it's Elvis...