Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ian Curtis' Grave

Ian Curtis
18-5-80
Love Will Tear Us Apart

I've always found this grave's enscription to be ironic. I'm not sure if they meant it to have that meaning, but didn't Curtis commit suicide because he couldn't balance his musical career and his relationship with his wife, therefore love tore him apart?

Re: Ian Curtis' Grave

Also keep in mind that he had depression, and epilepsy that got so bad he would be unable to perform at times.

Even if the sole factor to his suicide was his failed life, it still wouldn't be irony, it would actually be rather fitting. If he killed himself due to his love life and penned a song titled "Love Will Keep Us Together", which then appeared on his grave site, now THAT would be irony.

Irony and ironic are probably the most misused words ever.

You're right.
I misused the word.
(Although the word 'like' is probably the most misused word, irony is up there.)
Also, was Curtis' original grave ever found?

The phrase seems to me to be the perfect thing for Ian Curtis' gravestone. In fact, is the title of any other musician's signature song as fitting for a gravestone as Curtis'?

Jackson
The phrase seems to me to be the perfect thing for Ian Curtis' gravestone. In fact, is the title of any other musician's signature song as fitting for a gravestone as Curtis'?

If Jim Morrison's epitaph read simply "The End" I think it might be even more a propos.