Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #14

BRACKET #14

#1 (56) THE CLASH vs. #16 (969) CANNED HEAT

The only band that matters…. The Clash. I should just stop there but since I am titling the four biggest songs according to Slicknation, “London Calling”, “(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais”, “Rock The Casbah” and “Train In Vain (Stand By Me)”. Didn’t even get to “White Riot” or “Should I Stay Or Should I Go”.

In the late 60’s Blues rockers Canned Heat were part of Woodstock and pumped out “On The Road Again” and “Going Up To The Country”.

#8 (457) THE YARDBIRDS vs. #9 (568) SUGAR RAY

An English rock band that had a string of hits in the mid 1960s, including "For Your Love", "Over, Under, Sideways, Down" and "Heart Full of Soul". The group is notable for having started the careers of three of rock's most famous guitarists: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page, all of whom were in the top fifteen of Rolling Stone's 100 Top Guitarists list.

Sugar Ray, late 90’s alt/pop band… “Fly”, “Every Morning”, “When It’s Over” and “Someday”.

#5 (312) KENNY LOGGINS vs. #12 (713) COMMON

Kenny popped out some big pop hits in the 70’s & 80’s like “Footloose”, “I’m Alright”, “This Is It” and “Danger Zone”.

Common, one of the most critically acclaimed and lyrically gifted rappers of the past 15 years. “The Corner”, “The Light”, “Driving Me Wild” and “Go!”.

#4 (201) DIONNE WARWICK vs. #13 (824) PAUL WESTERBERG

Dionne, big pop star in the 60’s and spokeswoman for the Psychic Friends Network. “Walk On By”, “Do You Know The Way To San Jose”, “Don’t Make Me Over” and 1985’s return to the top of the charts “That’s What Friends Are For”.

Former lead singer to one of the best groups of the 80’s. Paul solo hits include “Dyslexic Heart”, “Love Untold”, “World Class Fad” and “Runaway Wind”.

#3 (184) NAT KING COLE vs. #14 (841) STEVIE RAY VAUGHN

Pop culture icon and accomplished jazz pianist who topped the charts in the 50’s with songs like “A Blossom Fell”, “When I Fall In Love”, “Unforgettable” and “Darling Je Vous Aime Beaucoup”.

Renowned blues guitarist Stevie Ray rocked the charts with songs like “Pride And Joy”, “Crossfire”, “The Sky Is Crying” and “The House Is Rockin’”.

#6 (329) DISTURBED vs. #11 (696) SPIN DOCTORS

Disturbed was one of the biggest hard rock/metal bands of the 00’s with songs like “Down With The Sickness”, “Prayer”, “Inside The Fire” and “Stupify”.

Much like Crystal Pepsi, Spin Doctors came and went in the early 90’s without leaving a huge imprint on society. Best known for “Two Princes”, “Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong”, “Cleopatra’s Cat” and “Jimmy Olson’s Blues”.

#7 (440) ARCTIC MONKEYS vs. #10 (585) TONY BENNETT

One of the biggest Indie Rock bands to come out of England in the past 10 years. Which brings up the ultimate question can an indie band be #1 on the pop charts? For those of us in the US, this band went almost unnoticed with songs like “I Bet You Look Good On The Dance Floor”, “Brainstorm”, “Fluorescent Adolescent” and “When The Sun Goes Down”.

TB could be considered Sinatra Lite… “I Left My Heart In San Francisco”, “Rags To Riches”, “Steppin’ Out With My Baby” and “In The Middle Of An Island”.

#2 (73) FOUR TOPS vs. #15 (952) IAN BROWN

When you think Motown, you think Four Tops. Classic tracks like “Baby I Need Your Loving”, “Reach Out (I’ll Be There)”, “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)” and “Standing In The Shadows Of Love”.

Ian Brown, former lead singer for the immortal Stone Roses has forged a successful solo career across the pond with songs like “F.E.A.R.”, “Dolphins Were Monkeys”, “My Star” and “Golden Gaze”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #14

#1 The Clash
#8 The Yardbirds
#12 Common
#13 Paul Westerberg
#14 Stevie Ray Vaughan
#11 Spin Doctors
#10 Tony Bennett
#2 Four Tops

I just realized, I haven't been posting my own votes here on this site. I also wanted to thank everyone who has been participating.

The Clash - Only a handful of bands I can even consider voting for over The Clash, Canned Heat is not one of them.

The Yardbirds - I will admit, I bought a Sugar Ray CD back in the day, I think I might have boughten 2. Doesn't matter, there not getting my vote.

Common -

Paul Westerberg - I know Dionne was big, just don't like her music. I have liked just about everything Paul's put out as a solo artist.

NKC - SRV had some serious talent, just didn't care for listening to it much.

Disturbed - Call it a Nu Metal guilty pleasure, but I really do like this band, alot.

Arctic Monkeys - This is tough, because I do like Tony Bennett, but AM is a band I really like and listen to a lot more often.

Four Tops - This one was tough, Stone Roses are one of my favorite bands of all-time and I like Ian's solo stuff, but the Tops were amazing. Tough break for Ian.

The Clash- one of the greatest bands ever. no question.

The Yardbirds- decent band

Common- decent artist

Dionne Warwick- one really, really good song

Stevie Ray Vaughn- kinda good

Spin Doctors- Anything over Disturbed

Arctic Monkeys- great band

Four Tops- pretty good

BRACKET #14
#1 (56) THE CLASH
#8 (457) THE YARDBIRDS
#12 (713) COMMON
#4 (201) DIONNE WARWICK
#14 (841) STEVIE RAY VAUGHN
#6 (329) DISTURBED
#7 (440) ARCTIC MONKEYS
#2 (73) FOUR TOPS

Nat vs. Stevie Ray is one of the best matchups yet ... and Disturbed vs. Spin Doctors is one of the worst.

The Clash
The Yardbirds
Common
Dionne Warwick
Nat King Cole
Arctic Monkeys
Four Tops

1. The Clash
8. The Yardbirds
12. Common
4. Dionne Warwick

14. Stevie Ray Vaughn (if nothing else, SRV is more responsible than any other artist for making Austin the “Live Music Capital of the World”)

(The Spin Doctors’ music is fairly intolerable, so I don’t care to vote for them…but I can’t bring myself to vote against them, since Mark White, their bassist is, believe it or not, a friend of mine. I’ll avoid doing the research on Disturbed—whom I’ve never heard—so I can abstain from the 6/11 matchup in good conscience.)

7. Arctic Monkeys
2. The Four Tops

MOST UNDERRATED
Arctic Monkeys (UMT 440, AM 245).

MOST OVERRATED
Kenny Loggins (UMT 312, AM n/a); Disturbed (UMT 329, AM n/a); Sugar Ray (UMT 568, AM n/a).

SORT OF CLOSE
Stevie Ray Vaughan (UMT 841, AM 903); The Yardbirds (UMT 457, AM 523).

#1 (56) THE CLASH
#8 (457) THE YARDBIRDS
#12 (713) COMMON
#4 (201) DIONNE WARWICK
#3 (184) NAT KING COLE
#11 (696) SPIN DOCTORS
#7 (440) ARCTIC MONKEYS
#2 (73) FOUR TOPS

#1 THE CLASH

Unquestioned.

#8 THE YARDBIRDS

Not a big fan, although relatively unfamiliar with their work. The Yardbirds part of Blow-Up was the worst part of an overrated movie. But against Sugar Ray? Clear winner.

#12 COMMON

Loggins was responsible for some pretty awful songs. I loved the history of Loggins as elucidated by th Yacht Rock crew. Common is someone that I don't know too well , but I really like "I Used to Love H.E.R."

#4 DIONNE WARWICK

I am a fan of her voice. A great combination of smooth and raspy. I even kinda like "That's What Friends Are For," maybe because it has the even better singers Knight and Wonder.

#3 NAT KING COLE

He really is a delight. As a singer he was technically adroit and smooth as butter. Instrumentally, with the trio, he swung a little harder.

#11 SPIN DOCTORS

Spin Doctors were fun. There are far more aesthetically offensive acts in a similar vein. A few of their hits would have broken through in any era.

#7 ARCTIC MONKEYS

Difficult decision. You know I love the jazz/pop singers, and want them to represent better both on the AM lists and this forum. And I have respect for the arc and strength of Bennett's career. I just don't have as much respect for his voice. He's technically on target, but I find that the way he sings is far more about his personality than about the songs. That's not necessarily bad at times, but when I listen to vocal music, I prefer a better blend of the personality and the delivery. The Arctic Monkeys excite me enough to lift them above Bennett, given those reservations.

#2 FOUR TOPS

The harmonies are not as good as many of their label-mates. But Stubbs had a monster voice on his own. A voice that often overcame songs that were not so great.

#1 (56) THE CLASH

#8 (457) THE YARDBIRDS

Seriously? Against Sugar Ray? *Ugh* and Sugar Ray will probably win because of the non-AM voters.

#12 (713) COMMON

#3 (184) NAT KING COLE

#11 (696) SPIN DOCTORS

Can't say that much about the Spin Doctors, but Disturbed are just plain awful.

#7 (440) ARCTIC MONKEYS

#2 (73) FOUR TOPS

The Clash
Yardbirds
Common
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Spin Doctors
Arctic Monkeys
Four Tops

I actually like the song "Two Princes," and Disturbed might be my least favorite band of all time.

BRACKET #14

#1 (56) THE CLASH
#8 (457) THE YARDBIRDS
#5 (312) KENNY LOGGINS
#4 (201) DIONNE WARWICK
#3 (184) NAT KING COLE
#6 (329) DISTURBED
#10 (585) TONY
#2 (73) FOUR TOPS

#1 (56) THE CLASH
#8 (457) THE YARDBIRDS
#5 (312) KENNY LOGGINS*
#4 (201) DIONNE WARWICK
#3 (184) NAT KING COLE
#11 (696) SPIN DOCTORS
#7 (440) ARCTIC MONKEYS
#2 (73) FOUR TOPS

*I never did like Serena Williams,so I never gave Common much of a chance...

Winners in Bracket #14...

The Clash 100% / Canned Heat 0%
The Yardbirds 87.0% / Sugar Ray 13.0%
Common 56.5% / Kenny Loggins 43.5%
Dionne Warwick 57.1% / Paul Westerberg 42.9%
Stevie Ray Vaughn 56.5% / Nat King Cole 43.5%
Spin Doctors 52.4% / Disturbed 47.6%
Arctic Monkeys 59.1% / Tony Bennett 40.9%
Four Tops 95.7% / Ian Brown 4.3%