Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #13

BRACKET #13

#1 (9) ELTON JOHN vs. #16 (1016) EDDIE RABBITT

One of the biggest singers/songwriters of all-time, Elton had his heyday in the early 70’s with hits like “Your Song”, “Tiny Dancer”, “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” and “Rocket Man”.

Eddie Rabbitt, crossover country singer/songwriter saw some mainstream success in the early 80’s with songs like “Driving My Life Away”, “I Love A Rainy Night”, “Step by Step” and “Every Which Way But Loose”.

#8 (504) T.I. vs. #9 (521) KENNY ROGERS

Rapper best known for “What You Know”, “Big Things Poppin’ (Do It)”, “Whatever You Like” and “Dead And Gone”.

Another country crossover late 70’s/early 80’s pop star who is also know for fried chicken. “The Gambler”, “Lucille”, “Coward Of The County” and “Lady” are among some of Kenny’s best known tunes.

#5 (265) WHITESNAKE vs. #12 (760) GOLDFRAPP

Back in the 70’s when Whitesnake formed, they were blues rockers like Zepp and Deep Purple, when they had commercial success, they were all about the hair. “Here I Go Again”, “Fool For Your Loving”, “Still Of The Night” and “Is This Love”.

The English electronic dance duo Goldfrapp has achieved critical acclaim and chart success in their homeland with songs like “Lovely Head”, “Ooh La La”, “A&E” and “Utopia”.

#4 (248) CHUBBY CHECKER vs. #13 (777) TRACY CHAPMAN

Chubby is forever linked to these simple words… “C’mon baby, let’s do the twist”. Besides “The Twist”, Chubby has charted well with “Pony Time”, “Limbo Rock” and “The Hucklebuck”

Singer/Songwriter Tracy Chapman made a big splash in 1988 with “Fast Car”. Also saw some success with “Give Me One Reason”, “Talkin’ ‘Bout A Revolution” and “Baby Can I Hold You”.

#3 (137) LITTLE RICHARD vs. #14 (888) SILVERSUN PICKUPS

When you think 50’s rock and roll, Little Richard has to be in that immediate discussion. “Tutti Fruitti”, “Long Tall Sally”, “Good Golly Miss Molly” and “Keep a Knockin’” are all part of his legacy.

Silversun Pickups are one of the biggest new bands on rock radio with songs like “Panic Switch”, “Lazy Eye”, “Well Thought Out Twinkles” and “The Royal We”.

#6 (376) SAMMY HAGAR vs. #11 (649) AMERIE

In between stints with bands like Montrose and Van Halen, Sammy put together a successful solo career with songs like “I Can’t Drive 55”, “Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy”, “Give To Live” and “I’ll Fall In Love Again”.

I am not a huge fan of female R&B singers, but Amerie’s 2005 hit “1 Thing” is a great song. She also charted with “Take Control”, “Touch” and “Gotta Work”.

#7 (393) DON HENLEY vs. #10 (632) BARENAKED LADIES

Post Eagles solo career netted Don “The Boys Of Summer”, “The End Of Innocence”, “Dirty Laundry” and “All She Wants To Do Is Dance”.

The Canadian alt/rockers Barenaked Ladies charted with songs like “One Week”, “Pinch Me”, “If I Had A $1000000” and “The Old Apartment”.

#2 (120) KYLIE MINOGUE vs. #15 (905) WARREN G

Kylie has scored only two top ten hits in the states with “Cant Get You Out Of My Head” and “The Loco-Motion”, but this Australian pop star has had an unbelievable amount of hits worldwide over the past 25 years including “Come Into My World” and her 1995 duet with Nick Cave “Where Do The Wild Roses Grow”.

Warren G broke on the scene in 1994 with “Regulate”. But the G Funk Era didn’t stick around long, but long enough for Warren to see some moderate success with “This DJ” and “I Shot The Sheriff”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #13

#1 Elton John
#9 Kenny Rogers
#12 Goldfrapp
#4 Chubby Checker
#3 Little Richard
#11 Amerie
#7 Don Henley
#2 Kylie Minogue

#1 (9) ELTON JOHN
(521) KENNY ROGERS
#12 (760) GOLDFRAPP
#13 (777) TRACY CHAPMAN
#3 (137) LITTLE RICHARD
#6 (376) SAMMY HAGAR
#7 (393) DON HENLEY
#2 (120) KYLIE MINOGUE

Overall, a fairly wretched bracket. I really can't stand 4 of the artists I voted for (Gambler can't drive 55 in a fast car with a dead head sticker).

BRACKET #13
#1 (9) ELTON JOHN
#9 (521) KENNY ROGERS
#12 (760) GOLDFRAPP
#13 (777) TRACY CHAPMAN
#3 (137) LITTLE RICHARD
#11 (649) AMERIE
#7 (393) DON HENLEY
#2 (120) KYLIE MINOGUE

Elton John
T.I.
Goldfrapp
Tracy Chapman
Little Richard
Amerie
Don Henley
Kylie Minogue (even if I have hugh nostalgia for Regulate and "the Rapsody")

Ah, nuts. I missed round 12, in which I would have knocked Night Ranger out of the running. Oh well…

1. Elton John
9. Kenny Rogers
12. Goldfrapp
4. Chubby Checker
3. Little Richard
11. Amerie
10. Barenaked Ladies
2. Kylie Minogue

MOST UNDERRATED
Tracy Chapman (UMT 777, AM 348).

MOST OVERRATED
Whitesnake (UMT 265, AM 1495); Sammy Hagar (UMT 376, AM n/a); Barenaked Ladies (UMT 632, AM n/a).

PRETTY CLOSE
Amerie (UMT 649, AM 659); Warren G (UMT 905, AM 971).

#1 ELTON JOHN

For an artist who has been a mainstay all my life, I have trouble sorting out my feelings for his work.

#8 T.I.

This was closer than you might think. I am bit of a softie when it comes to smooth voices, and Kenny's voice is extra smooth. But T.I.'s best hits have a big sound behind them that is interesting.

#12 GOLDFRAPP

Not a big Goldfrapp fan, and I was a big fan of Tawny Kitaen's video work as a kid. But I've got to go with the more interesting group.

#13 TRACY CHAPMAN

A fair amount of respect, less love, for Chapman. Not any of either for Mr. Checker.

#3 LITTLE RICHARD

I have been critical of Little Richard on these boards. There is a lack of control in his voice that goes beyond healthy, passionate rock 'n roll shouting. But he's still Little Richard.

#11 AMERIE

1 Thing is good enough on its own to beat artists better than Hagar.

#10 BARENAKED LADIES

Boys of Summer is good. Everything else I've heard I don't like. The Barenaked Ladies at least are fun.

#2 KYLIE MINOGUE

A very solid purveyor of pop. Note that I did not say great.

#12 (760) GOLDFRAPP
Goldfrapp's got issues, but they're not a hair band.

#13 (777) TRACY CHAPMAN

#11 (649) AMERIE
This one's a tough vote. My initial instinct was to vote Sammy Hagar. But then I remembered 'I can't Drive 55'. So I went with the less annoying cheesiness.

#10 (632) BARENAKED LADIES

#1 (9) ELTON JOHN
#8 (504) T.I.
#5 (265) WHITESNAKE
#13 (777) TRACY CHAPMAN
#3 (137) LITTLE RICHARD
#6 (376) SAMMY HAGAR
#7 (393) DON HENLEY
#2 (120) KYLIE MINOGUE

#1 (9) ELTON JOHN
#8 (504) T.I.
#12 (760) GOLDFRAPP
#13 (777) TRACY CHAPMAN
#3 (137) LITTLE RICHARD
#11 (649) AMERIE
#10 (632) BARENAKED LADIES
#15 (905) WARREN G

#1 (9) ELTON JOHN
#9 (521) KENNY ROGERS
#12 (760) GOLDFRAPP
#13 (777) TRACY CHAPMAN
#3 (137) LITTLE RICHARD
#6 (376) SAMMY HAGAR
#7 (393) DON HENLEY
#2 (120) KYLIE MINOGUE

#1 Elton John
#9 Kenny Rogers - The Gambler FTW
#4 Chubby Checker
#10 Barenaked Ladies - one of my favs, "It's Only Me (The Wizard of Magicland)"; sorry Don, tough break
#2 Kylie Minogue - Wow! A #2 seed? That is quite astonishing

Winners in Bracket #13...

Elton John 100% / Eddie Rabbitt 0%
Kenny Rogers 68.1% / T.I. 31.9%
Whitesnake 52.3% / Goldfrapp 47.6%
Tracy Chapman 63.6% / Chubby Checker 36.4%
Little Richard 66.7% / Silversun Pickups 33.3%
Sammy Hagar 61.9% / Amerie 38.1%
Don Henley 63.6% / Barenaked Ladies 36.4%
Kylie Minogue 76.2% / Warren G 23.8%