Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wrens - The Meadowlands

Before this weekend I had listened to this album two or three times. Then this saturday morning I had to wake up early for a long bus ride and que'd this up. I was absolutely floored with how great the album is, and I've listened to it twice more since then. I recommended this album to a friend of mine who I thought could relate to it and he said it's now a T10 album for him.

My question is why hasn't this received much more acclaim from the eod lists? Also, what do other AMers think about this album?

Re: Wrens - The Meadowlands

SR
Before this weekend I had listened to this album two or three times. Then this saturday morning I had to wake up early for a long bus ride and que'd this up. I was absolutely floored with how great the album is, and I've listened to it twice more since then. I recommended this album to a friend of mine who I thought could relate to it and he said it's now a T10 album for him.

My question is why hasn't this received much more acclaim from the eod lists? Also, what do other AMers think about this album?

I was just listening to that band yesterday!! It was one of the few that i found inside Pitchfork's EOD. I have only listened once, but it was enough to blow me away, hope it keeps growing on me!

It's 7th on my all time list; stunning album sung with seering intensity. I only wish they could have ended the album with the wonderful '13 Months in 6 Minutes'.

I had this fifth on my top albums of the decade list, behind,

1. Arcade Fire - Funeral
2. Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
3. Radiohead - Amnesiac
4. The National - Alligator

(and it was ahead of all those at one point)

I absoulutely love it. I tried to introduce it to my friends, but they just dismissed it as "whatever". It got unanimous praise from the likes of Christgau, Pitchfork, Stylus etc in terms of ratings, but ignored in lists. It's wierd that they haven't released an album since The Meadowlands, and that was released in 2003. For some reason, it reminds me of Slint's Spiderland (another astonishingly underrated album). And what's wrong with "This is not what you had planned"? I think it's a great ending.

Wow. I just listened to "13 Months in 6 Minutes," and it was one of the most emotionally impacting songs on first listen ever for me, along with Mercury Rev's Holes and Portishead's The Rip. I've got to check out the whole album now.

Jackson
Wow. I just listened to "13 Months in 6 Minutes," and it was one of the most emotionally impacting songs on first listen ever for me, along with Mercury Rev's Holes and Portishead's The Rip. I've got to check out the whole album now.

I'll just add my kudos to this under appreciated album. I don't remember where exactly, but it was easily in my top 50 for the decade. Anyone who hasn't listened to it yet but likes the Arcade Fire should do so now.

What's funny is on this site, the genres listed on The Wrens page are R&B, Doo Wop, and Soul because there's a 50s group named The Wrens.

Album's fantastic. Wonderful mix of distortion and melody. Love Everyone Choose Sides (and actually all other songs as well).

I finally got around to listening to this album, and it really is great. It is really successful at mixing up-tempo rockers with emotional breakup songs. It's definitely one of the best indie records of the 00s.