Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #12

BRACKET #12

#1 (40) OASIS vs. #16 (985) YELLOWCARD

In the UK, Oasis is the biggest band of the past 20 years… In the US, they are that band from the 90’s that did “Wonderwall”. “Live Forever” and “Champagne Supernova” also received some moderate airplay in the states. “Don’t Look Back In Anger” and “Go Let It Out” are amongst the 20+ top 10 hits in the UK.

Yellowcard, the pop-punk band with a violin that had a few hits in the 00’s including “Ocean Avenue”, “Only One”, “Lights And Sounds” and “Light Up The Sky”.

#8 (473) CINDERELLA vs. #9 (552) BUCKCHERRY

In the 80’s when MTV glammed up the music scene, bands like Cinderella used extra aerosol from the bottles of Aqua Net to boost them into the limelight with songs like “Nobody’s Fool”, “Don’t Know What You Got (Til’ It’s Gone)”, “Coming Home” and “Shelter Me”.

Buckcherry is the American rock band that had had some success in 1999 with “Lit Up” and “For The Movies” and resurfaced in 2006 with “Crazy Bitch” and “Sorry”.

#5 (296) THE STROKES vs. #12 (729) THE BABYS

Call it Garage Rock Revival, Post-Punk Revival or Indie Rock, The Strokes were at the top of the list in the 00’s in all of these catagories with huge success on both the US Modern Rock charts and on the UK pop charts with songs like “Hard To Explain”, “Last Nite”, “12:51” and “Juicebox”.

The Babys were a British pop/rock band led by John Waite that had success in the US in the late 70’s and really early 80’s. Songs include “Isn’t It Time”, “Everytime I Think Of You”, “Back On My Feet Again” and “Turn And Walk Away”.

#4 (217) PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC vs. #13 (808) LADY GAGA

P-Funk’s unique blend of Funk, Rock and Soul netted us classic songs like “One Nation Under A Groove”, “Flash Light”, “Maggot Brain” and “Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)”.

It’s Lady Gaga, I do not even want to take the time to write a description.

#3 (168) BROOK BENTON vs. #14 (857) EDDIE VEDDER

Popular in the late 50’s/early 60’s, this pop, soul and R&B singer netted a number of big hits including “Endlessly”, “It’s Just A Matter Of Time” and “The Boll Weevil Song”. Brook came back for one more in 1970 with “Rainy Night In Georgia”

We all know Eddie as the lead singer of Pearl Jam, but this is for his solo work including “Hard Sun” and “You Got To Hide Your Love Away”.

#6 (345) MOBY vs. #11 (680) EELS

Moby is the DJ/Singer-Songwriter who is known best for his contribution to electronic dance music with songs like “Go”, “Porcelain” and “Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?”. Moby has had one top 40 hit in the US, his duet with Gwen in 2000, “South Side”.

Eels are the American rock band best known for their 1997 hit “Novocain For The Soul”. Others include, “Susan’s House”, “Mr. E’s Beautiful Blues” and “Last Stop: This Town”.

#7 (424) NIGHT RANGER vs. #10 (601) BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE

In the 80’s Night Ranger had a number of rock radio hits including their biggest, the power ballad “Sister Christian”. Others include “Don’t Tell Me You Love Me”, “Sentimental Street” and “When You Close Your Eyes”.

BTO, are the classic rockers from the 70’s that did “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” and “Takin’ care Of Business”. Other hits include “Roll On Down The Highway” and “Let It Ride”.

#2 (89) ERIC CLAPTON vs. #15 (936) MINISTRY

After being in a number of bands, including Cream and The Yardbirds and being considered a guitar God, Clapton went solo and has had a long career. Some of the highlights include “After Midnight”, “Tears In Heaven”, “Cocaine” and “I’ve Got A Rock ‘N Roll Heart”.

From synth pop to the kings of industrial metal, Ministry has had a long career including “Every day Is Halloween”, “Stigmata”, “Burning Inside” and “Jesus Built My Hot Rod”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #12

#1 (40) OASIS

#4 (217) PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC

Too...much...autotuner!!!!

#11 (680) EELS

BRACKET #12
#1 (40) OASIS
#8 (473) CINDERELLA (what a terrible, terrible pairing)
#5 (296) THE STROKES
#3 (168) BROOK BENTON
#11 (680) EELS
#10 (601) BACHMAN-TURNER OVERDRIVE
#2 (89) ERIC CLAPTON

Oasis
Cinderella (this is a vote against Buckcherry)
The Strokes
Parliament/ Funkadelic
Moby
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Eric Clapton

Oasis
Buckcherry
The Strokes
P-Funk
Brook Benton
Moby
BTO
Ministry

Oasis
Strokes
Parliament/Funkadelic
BTO

#1 (40) OASIS
#8 (473) CINDERELLA
#5 (296) THE STROKES
#14 (857) EDDIE VEDDER
#11 (680) EELS
#2 (89) ERIC CLAPTON

My Vedder vote is for his work with Eddie Vedder and the C-Average, a thrown-together group who played at least one show on Mike Watt's "Tugboat" tour (I have a bootleg- not great, but good enough for this matchup).

#1. Oasis
#9. Buckcherry
#5. the Strokes
#4. PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC
#14. Eddie Veder
#11. Eels
#10. BTO
#15. Ministry

#1 Oasis - I'm not among those who feel they were the reincarnation of the Beatles, but they had a decent thing going.
#8 Cinderella
#5 The Strokes
#4 Parliament Funkadelic - not googoo for Gaga
#14 Eddie Vedder
#6 Moby - love "Play", brilliant album
#7 Night Ranger - my favs were "Goodbye" and "The Secret of My Success"
#2 Eric Clapton - I love "Promises" and "Wonderful Tonight", two of my all-time favorite songs. Ministry? Blech, no thanks.

#1 (40) OASIS
-
#5 (296) THE STROKES
#4 (217) PARLIAMENT/FUNKADELIC*
#3 (168) BROOK BENTON
#11 (680) EELS
#2 (89) ERIC CLAPTON

*I'll be interested in the results of the 4th matchup - it will be one-sided here,but that may not be the case wherever else this game is run...

Winners in bracket #12...

Oasis 100% / Yellowcard 0%
Cinderella 64.8% / Buckcherry 35.3%
The Strokes 83.3% / The Babys 16.7%
Parliament/Funkadelic 94.7% / Lady Gaga 5.3%
Brook Benton 56.3% / Eddie Vedder 43.8%
Moby 58.9% / Eels 41.1%
TIE***Night Ranger & Bachman-Turner Overdrive 50.0% each
Eric Clapton 70.6% / Ministry 29.4%

That was a Lady Gaga smackdown!

Sorry I missed my entry. I don't care about BTO or Night Ranger, so not a big deal.