Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #10

BRACKET #10

#1 (57) RAMONES vs. #16 (968) FIREHOUSE

Legendary punk pioneers…. “Blitzkrieg Bop”, “I Wanna Be Sedated”, “Sheena Is A Punk Rocker” and “Pet Sematary” just a few of the many classics.

When you think cheesy 90’s hair band power ballads what comes to mind…. Song like FireHouse’s “Love Of A Lifetime”, “When I Look Into Your Eyes”, “Don’t Treat Me Bad” and “I Live My Life For You”. If you haven’t already thrown up in your mouth just a little, this band won Best New Hard Rock band AMA in 1992 over Nirvana!!!

#8 (456) ROBERTA FLACK vs. #9 (569) MOTORHEAD

Roberta Flack combined elements of jazz, R&B and Folk together to create a few classic 70’s pop hits including “The First Time I Saw Your Face”, “Killing Me Softly With His Song”, “Feel Like Making Love” and “Where Is The Love”.

Back in 1980, Motorhead was one of the leaders of a The New Wave Of British Metal and their signature hit “Ace Of Spades”. Others include “Bomber” and “Overkill”.

#5 (313) GRAND FUNK RAILROAD vs. #12 (712) BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Back in the early 70’s, Grand Funk was a popular rock band with songs like “We’re An American Band”, “I’m Your Captain (Closer To Home)”, “The Loco-Motion” and “Some Kind Of Wonderful”.

BMRC, the Neo-Psychedelic Garage Rockers gave us “Whatever Happened To My Rock And Roll (Punk Song)”, “Spread Your Love”, “Stop” and “Weapon Of Choice”.

#4 (200) GENE PITNEY vs. #13 (825) NENEH CHERRY

In the early 60’s Gene Pitney had a number of big hits including “A Town Without Pity”, “(The Man Who Shot) Liberty Valence”, “Only Love Can Break A Heart” and “Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa”.

Neneh Cherry combined elements of hip-hop with other influences to create some unique pop hits including “Buffalo Stance”, “Trout”, “7 Seconds” and “Manchild”.

#3 (185) THE DOOBIE BROTHERS vs. #14 (840) THE MARS VOLTA

The Doobies are a popular rock band that had “Black Water”, “What A Fool Believes”, “Long Train Running” and “Listen To The Music” as a few of their big hits.

Experimental Prog-Rockers The Mars Volta created a buzz with 2005’s “The Widow” along with others like “Inertiatic ESP” and “Wax Simulacra”.

#6 (328) GEORGE HARRISON vs. #11 (697) BAUHAUS

After The Beatles split, George had a successful solo career with songs like “My Sweet Lord”, “Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)”, “Got My Mind Set On You” and “All Those Years Ago”.

Goth Rock pioneers Bauhaus were only around for a few years, but in that time they left behind some critically acclaimed songs like “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”, “Kick In The Eye”, “She’s In Parties” and their cover of “Ziggy Stardust”

#7 (441) THE MAMA’S & THE PAPA’S vs. #10 (584) THE LEMONHEADS

From 1965 to 1968, The Mama’s & The Papa’s had a number of big hits including “California Dreaming”, “Monday Monday”, “Creeque Alley” and “Dedicated To The One I Love”.

Alt/Rockers The Lemonheads enjoyed a taste of success during the 90’s alt/rock boom including the hits “It’s A Shame About Ray”, “Mrs. Robinson”, “Into Your Arms” and “If I Could Talk I’d Tell You”

#2 (72) RUSH vs. #15 (953) SWITCHFOOT

Canadian Prog-Rockers have had a long career and a ton of rock radio hits including “Tom Sawyer”, “The Spirit Of Radio”, “Fly By Night” and “Closer To The Heart”

Switchfoot gained notoriety with 2003’s “Meant To Live” and “Dare You To Move”. They also charted with “Stars” and “Oh! Gravity”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #10

#1 Ramones - not a fan of punk, but no question they were one of the most influential bands post-Beatles
#8 Roberta Flack
#5 Grand Funk Railroad
#3 The Doobie Brothers
#6 George Harrison
#7 The Mamas and the Papas
#15 Switchfoot - "The Beautiful Letdown" is one of my all-time favorite albums, and I despise Rush! This is the biggest mismatch of the tourney so far, for me.

#1 Ramones
#9 Motorhead
#5 Grand Funk Railroad
#13 Neneh Cherry
#14 The Mars Volta
#6 George Harrison
#10 The Lemonheads
#2 Rush

#1 (57) RAMONES
#9 (569) MOTORHEAD
#12 (712) BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB
#4 (200) GENE PITNEY
#3 (185) THE DOOBIE BROTHERS
#11 (697) BAUHAUS
#7 (441) THE MAMA’S & THE PAPA’S
#2 (72) RUSH

1. Ramones
9. Motörhead
12. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
13. Neneh Cherry
14. The Mars Volta
11. Bauhaus
7. The Mamas and the Papas
2. Rush

MOST UNDERRATED
Motörhead (UMT 569, AM 178); Neneh Cherry (UMT 825, AM 516).

MOST OVERRATED
Gene Pitney (UMT 200, AM 2009); The Doobie Brothers (UMT 185, AM 1488); Grand Funk Railroad (UMT 313, AM 1441).

VERY, VERY CLOSE
Ramones (UMT 57, AM 52); Bauhaus (UMT 697, AM 692); George Harrison (UMT 328, AM 311).

Ramones
Motorhead
The Mamas and the Papas

Not yet decided for the others... some Mars Volta songs are incredibly good, but lot of others are plain awful...

#1 (57) RAMONES
#9 (569) MOTORHEAD
#5 (313) GRAND FUNK RAILROAD
#13 (825) NENEH CHERRY
#11 (697) BAUHAUS
#2 (72) RUSH

BRACKET #10

#1 (57) RAMONES
#9 (569) MOTORHEAD
#4 (200) GENE PITNEY
#14 (840) THE MARS VOLTA
#6 (328) GEORGE HARRISON
#2 (72) RUSH

#1 (57) RAMONES
#8 (456) ROBERTA FLACK
#14 (840) THE MARS VOLTA
#11 (697) BAUHAUS
#10 (584) THE LEMONHEADS

#1 (57) RAMONES
#9 (569) MOTORHEAD
#4 (200) GENE PITNEY
#6 (328) GEORGE HARRISON
#2 (72) RUSH

#1 Ramones
#9 Motorhead
#12 BRMC
#13 Neneh Cherry
#14 the Mars Volta (I used to get the Doobies and Steve Winwood confused)
#6 George Harrison
#7 the Mamas and the Papas
#2 Rush (People think I'm totally out of my mind when I say the band Suede sounds kind of like Rush. Yet I can't for the life of me see the similarities between the Pixies and Nirvana)

#1 RAMONES

My 21-month old daughter dancing to their debut is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Yes I skip over "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue," but only so my six-year old twins don't get any bad ideas.

#8 ROBERTA FLACK

My parents first date was to see pre-fame Roberta Flack at a club in D.C. So if not for the easy sensuality of Ms. Flack, there might not be a Schwah on these boards.

#5 (313) GRAND FUNK RAILROAD vs. #12 (712) BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Sorry... this is the first one I'm skipping. I've got no feelings for GFR either way, and I don't know BRMC at all.

#4 GENE PITNEY

I never really got into Cherry, I never thought she had much of a voice. Pitney has a grand sound that I enjoy.

#3 THE DOOBIE BROTHERS

I think the Doobies are a little underrated. They had a number of very catchy hits. Yes, Mr. McDonald is very nearly a parody of himself, but isn't it kind of good we have him in our lives.

#6 GEORGE HARRISON

Not a Bauhaus fan. Harrison's solo stuff, while not the best of the best, is sweet.

#7 THE MAMA’S & THE PAPA’S

Two overrated bands. But the Lemonheads are far less interesting. The Mama's and the Papa's had a couple nice hits, a couple of interesting voices in Denny and Cass. Biggest problem is that their vaunted harmonies are blah. Oh, and Michelle Phillips is far prettier than Evan Dando

#2 RUSH

No, I am not a fan. But I also appreciate that they've been out there, doing their thing, for all these years. When a track from Moving Pictures comes up on my iPod shuffle, I smile and rock out for a little while.

Bracket #10 Winners...

Ramones 100% / Firehouse (About what was expected)
Motorhead 67% / Roberta Flack 33%
Grand Funk 61.1% / BMRC 38.9%
Nenah Cherry 61.1% / Gene Pitney 38.9%
The Doobie Brothers 60% / The Mars Volta 40%
George Harrison 68.4% / Bauhaus 31.6%
The Mama's & The Papa's 65% / The Lemonheads 35%
Rush 89.5% / Switchfoot 10.5%