Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #8

I am sending this out on Sunday instead of on Monday morning, due to the fact I am going to be out of town for a couple of days. I will announce the winners and post bracket #9 on Wednesday morning and will pick up the tourney on a daily basis from mon-fri from that point. Thank You to all who are participating.

#1 (48) THE SUPREMES vs. #16 (977) LESLIE GORE

The biggest of the Motown girl groups of the 60’s, The Supremes had a number of huge hits including “Stop! In The Name Of Love”, “Love Child”, “Baby Love” and “Where Did Our Love Go”.

Leslie Gore was a teen pop star in 1963 with her hits “It’s My Party”, “Judy’s Turn To Cry” and “You Don’t Own Me”.

#8 (465) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM vs. #9 (560) THE TROGGS

LCD has a unique style of mixing dance music and punk and has put together some impressive singles including “All My Friends”, “Daft Punk Is Playing At My House”, “Losing My Edge” and “North American Scum”

“Wild Thing”…Ricky Vaughn… only part of the legacy behind the 1966 hit from The Troggs blending garage rock with the roots of punk into a perfect pop hit. Other songs from these guys “Love Is All Around”, “With A Girl Like You” and “I Can’t Control Myself”

#5 (304) CHRISTINA AGUILERA vs. #12 (721) CAT STEVENS

Pure 100% disposable pop music… “Genie In A Bottle”, “Beautiful”, “Ain’t No Other Man” and “What A Girl Wants”

Cat Stevens was a popular singer/songwriter in the early 70’s…. “Wide World”, “Peace Train”, “Morning Has Broken” and “Moonshadow” are amongst his biggest hits.

#4 (209) JONI MITCHELL vs. #13 (816) Q-TIP

Influential singer/songwriter Joni had “Help Me”, “Free Man In Paris”, “Big Yellow Taxi” and “You Turn Me On I’m A Radio”

Following the demise of A Tribe Called Quest, Q-Tip released a solo album in 1999 that included “Vivrant Thing” and “Breathe and Stop”. He also had “Move” and “Getting’ Up” in 2008.

#3 (176) VAN MORRISON vs. #14 (849) CIARA

Van is the critically acclaimed singer/songwriter that gave us “Brown Eyed Girl”, “Jackie Wilson Said”, “Moondance” and “Into The Mystic”.

Ciara, a successful R&B artist with a number of big pop hits including “1,2 Step”, “Like A Boy” and “Goodies”.

#6 (337) BUZZCOCKS vs. #11 (688) LAURYN HILL

The influential British band Buzzcocks gave a boost to punk, power pop and indie rock with a number of great songs in the late 70’s including “Orgasm Addict”, “Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn’t‘ve)”, “What Do I Get” and “Everybody’s Happy Nowadays”.

After The Fugees, Lauryn put out one of the biggest hip-hop records ever with her 1998 debut giving us the singles “Doo Wop (That Thing)”, “Everything Is Everything”, “To Zion” and “Ex-Factor”.

#7 (432) BOBBY BROWN vs. #10 (593) THE HIVES

Bobby split from New Edition in 1988 and went solo bringing hits like “My Prerogative”, “Don’t Be Cruel”, “Every Little Step” and “Humpin’ Around”.

The early 2000 Garage Revival period was headlined by The Hives and their signature hit “Hate To Say I Told You So”. They also gave us “Walk Idiot Walk”, “Tick Tick Boom” and “Main Offender”.

#2 (81) THE DRIFTERS vs. #15 (944) THE OCEAN BLUE

In the late 50’s/early 60’s, The Drifters R&B/Doo Wop styling’s created a ton of big hits including “Save The Last Dance For Me”, “On Broadway”, “Under The Boardwalk” and “Up On The Roof”

The American Indie band The Ocean Blue had a sound similar to The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen and a number of their shoegaze contemporaries, they just never got the popularity with songs like “Between Something And Nothing”, “Drifting, Falling”, “Sublime” and “Ballerina Out of Control”.

Re: ULTIMATE Music Tournament:Bracket #8

#1 The Supremes
#9 The Troggs
#12 Cat Stevens
#4 Joni Mitchell
#3 Van Morrison
#6 Buzzcocks
#7 Bobby Brown
#2 The Drifters

#1 (48) THE SUPREMES
#8 (465) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM
#12 (721) CAT STEVENS
#4 (209) JONI MITCHELL
#3 (176) VAN MORRISON
#6 (337) BUZZCOCKS
#10 (593) THE HIVES
#2 (81) THE DRIFTERS

#1 (48) THE SUPREMES
#8 (465) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM
#12 (721) CAT STEVENS
#4 (209) JONI MITCHELL
#3 (176) VAN MORRISON
#6 (337) BUZZCOCKS
#10 (593) THE HIVES
#2 (81) THE DRIFTERS

The Supremes
LCD Soundsystem
Cat Stevens
Joni Mitchell
Van Morrison (hilarious matchup)
Buzzcocks
Hives

#1 (48) THE SUPREMES
#8 (465) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM
#12 (721) CAT STEVENS
#4 (209) JONI MITCHELL
#3 (176) VAN MORRISON
#6 (337) BUZZCOCKS
This is the only one this week where it was even close. But I can't take Lauryn Hill's voice.

The Supremes
LCD Soundsystem
Cat Stevens
Joni Mitchell
Van Morrison
Buzzcocks
The Hives
The Drifters

#1 (48) THE SUPREMES
#8 (465) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM
#5 (304) CHRISTINA AGUILERA
#4 (209) JONI MITCHELL
#3 (176) VAN MORRISON
#6 (337) BUZZCOCKS
#10 (593) THE HIVES
#2 (81) THE DRIFTERS

#1 (48) THE SUPREMES
#8 (465) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM
#12 (721) CAT STEVENS
#4 (209) JONI MITCHELL
#3 (176) VAN MORRISON
#6 (337) BUZZCOCKS
#10 (593) THE HIVES
#2 (81) THE DRIFTERS

Slick

Pure 100% disposable pop music…

She's definitely talented,just has a lot of bad material...

#1 (48) THE SUPREMES
#8 (465) LCD SOUNDSYSTEM
#12 (721) CAT STEVENS
#4 (209) JONI MITCHELL
#3 (176) VAN MORRISON
#6 (337) BUZZCOCKS
#10 (593) THE HIVES
#15 (944) THE OCEAN BLUE

1. The Supremes
8. LCD Soundsystem
(5/12 matchup: see below*)
4. Joni Mitchell
3. Van Morrison
6. Buzzcocks
10. The Hives
2. The Drifters

* I’ve held my nose and voted for the lesser of two evils a few times in this tournament, but I can’t in good conscience put a check mark next to either Christina Aguilera or Cat Stevens.

MOST UNDERRATED
Lauryn Hill (UMT 688, AM 267); LCD Soundsystem (UMT 465, AM 85); Joni Mitchell (UMT 209, AM 47).

MOST OVERRATED
Bobby Brown (UMT 432, AM 1594); Q-Tip (UMT 816, AM 1760); Ciara (UMT 849, AM n/a).

PRETTY DARN CLOSE
The Hives (UMT 593, AM 604); The Troggs (UMT 560, AM 580).

It's classic rock day...

#1 The Supremes
#9 The Troggs - I reckon I'll be the only one around here to vote against LCDS, but I just don't get them.
#12 Cat Stevens
#4 Joni Mitchell
#3 Van Morrison
#7 Bobby Brown
#2 The Drifters

#1 THE SUPREMES

I forgot about "You Don't Own Me." That was a great song. However "It's My Party" is a grating piece of crud. All that said, this matchup was never in doubt.

#8 LCD SOUNDSYSTEM

My admiration is fading a bit for Sound of Silver (although not for "All My Friends"). Maybe the new album will bump him back up in my estimation.

#12 CAT STEVENS

Interesting matchup. Both have strong voices often put to less than good ends. A little less melisma from Aguilera could have swung it her way.

#13 Q-TIP

Frankly, my knowledge of Q-Tip's solo work is very limited, despite my love for Tribe Called Quest. I just don't care for Mitchell, though.

#3 (176) VAN MORRISON vs. #14 (849) CIARA

Don't particularly like he Ciara hits. I'm not a Van Morrison fan, but Moondance has enough of a hold on me to make the vote fairly obvious.

#11 (688) LAURYN HILL

The Buzzcocks have yet to do anything for me. I can still be moved by moments on Miseducation....

#10 THE HIVES

Big fan of Veni Vidi Viscious. That's how to make dumb rock... with some skill and some smarts.

#2 THE DRIFTERS

Their style of singing is often too languid, but they do it well.

Winners in Bracket #8...

The Supremes 95.8% / Leslie Gore 4.2%
LCD Sundsystem 54.2% / The Troggs 45.8%
Cat Stevens 73.9% / Christina Aguilera 26.1%
Joni Mitchell 60.9% / Q-Tip 39.1%
Van Morrison 87.5% / Ciara 12.5%
Buzzcocks 56.5% / Lauryn Hill 43.5%
Bobby Brown 52.2% / The Hives 47.8%
The Drifters 77.3% / The Ocean Blue 22.7%