Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THIS IS HAPPENING

So the new LCD Soundsystem album "This Is Happeneing" leaked last night, and they've put it on their website for anyone to stream. I feel it's my sworn duty to review this album here, because the "Have One On Me" thread got several hundred views, and it's common knowledge that LCD Soundsystem >>>>>>>>> Joanna Newsom.

Anyways, I digress. Here's my track by track breakdown.

1. Dance Yrself Clean- good song, about nine minutes long and two minutes too long. The first three minutes are fairly simple, until the 2:57 mark when LCD Soundsystem kicks it into full electrojam madness. It's a good song (not great) in the vein of "Get Innocuous!"

2. Drunk Girls- This is the obvious single of the album. It's less than four minutes long, and features a simple repetitive chorus of "DRUNK GIRLS! DRUNK GIRLS!" The first time I heard it I was disappointed, the second and third time I heard it, I fell in love with the track. Reminds me of Ziggy Stardust's "Suffragette City" in a way. But, it's about Drunk Girls. Great song in my opinion.

3. One Touch- A good LCD Soundsystem song, but it didn't leave too much of an impression on me. Still, has the potential to be a grower, and even if it doesn't grow on me, it's still a good LCD Soundsystem song. And a good LCD Soundsystem song is better than a lot of bands best songs. So I'll cut it some slack.

4. All I Want- The guitar on this song is heavenly. For some reason that may only make sense to me I'm reminded of the guitars on Sonic Youth's "Teenage Riot", only these guitars are more streamline, more filtered through James Murphy's own special madness. Definitely a great song.

5. I Can Change- This one is the crowning achievement of the album. It's this albums "All My Friends" or "Losing My Edge". It reminds me of LCD Soundsystem meets David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes". The lyrics are emotional, the instrumentals are brilliant, and everything comes together so perfectly. This one ranks among their best.

6. You Wanted a Hit- Another nine minute song that runs two minutes too long. The lyrics are a not too subtle attack on their record label. One of the weaker moments on the album, but not a bad song.

7. Pow Pow- Another song over 8 minutes, but instead of running too long it goes along just right, the lyrics are great, the song just moves along well without ever threatening on running too long.

8. Somebody's Calling Me- Imagine Iggy Pop's "Nightclubbing" redone by James Murphy. What could have been a blatant ripoff actually ends up sounding great. There are electronic flourishes and trumpets. There are vocals that move along almost creepily. And then there's that piano solo. Hell yes.

9. Home- And here comes the closer. The last song on the album. And as James Murphy said that this could be the last LCD Soundsystem album, it may not just be the closer for the album, but the closer for the band itself. It reminds me of "All My Friends" in a way. But the frantic energy of that song is gone, and is replaced by a more subdued sense of sadness to it. Which in a way, makes it even sadder. Yet another great song.

My AMG style track picks (AKA best songs on the album).

"Drunk Girls"
"All I Want"
"I Can Change"
"Home"

Overall, no, the album isn't as good as "Sound of Silver" But that was my favorite album of last decade so I guess it's a bit of an unfair comparison. It's about as good as their first album, which is saying a lot because their first album does kick a lot of ass. It's already one of my top albums of the year, second to the Beach House one, and after a few more listens I can seriously see it becoming my album of the year (so far).

Long story short, the album is great.

Re: THIS IS HAPPENING

I listened to "Dance Yrself Clean" but haven't heard the whole album yet. That track will almost certainly go down as one of the best on the album, if not the year, making me even more excited to hear the whole thing. Based on your review, it seems like there are a lot of notable songs on this album, and I wonder which will become the most acclaimed.

Just finished my first listen. My initial impression is that this album is VERY good. It's not as good as Sound of Silver (the average track just isn't as strong) but standouts such as "I Can Change" (murphy's first real love song?) and the glorious "Home" are just unreal. I'll of course listen to it many more times, and perhaps more listens will change my overall impression.

I at least "like" every song on the album, and I really like most of them. I highly recommend this album to anyone who's a fan of David Bowie, David Byrne, or Daft Punk. Also, Murphy's singing on "I Can Change" is simply incredible.

I'm listening to it for the first time right now!

I bought the This Is Happening "EP" from Itunes last night and immediately fell for "All I Want". I think THAT is the "All My Friends" of the album, and the guitars for me totally channel Bowie's "Heroes".

So far, I loved "Dance Yrself Clean" and am enjoying the Velvet Underground pastiche of "Drunk Girls" ("White Light/White Heat" anyone?)!

Just had a listen as well, and I like it, but not as much as SoS. A solid 8/10 on first spin.

So far 7/10, i hope it grows on me! Not as great as the others... at first listen of course and i'm also having mixed feelings towards the new MGMT, i hope that one grows on me too.

Although she won't ever surpass LCD inside AM's top 3000, to me...

Joanna Newsom >>>>>>>>> LCD Soundsystem

I love to have one on her!!! And follow my album of the decade with a triple album, that is so far my album of the year... well, Newsom rules!

But back to this album, i'm liking it, there are stuff that will grow on me for sure, and it will certainly finds its way inside my top 20, so far. I just don't know if it will be there after May, so many great artists coming back... so i hope it grows until that, i'm really trying.

Second time around... it's getting better! I feel like a can give 8/10 now! i hope it keeps on going like that!

HRS
Second time around... it's getting better! I feel like a can give 8/10 now! i hope it keeps on going like that!

I feel that this album is a lot more of a grower than their last two. I only expect my ranking to rise with more and more listens.

BTW, I have nothing against Joanna Newsom, in fact I enjoy her quite a bit. She's just not in the same league as LCD Soundsystem. But to each his own, right?

Nick
HRS

I feel that this album is a lot more of a grower than their last two. I only expect my ranking to rise with more and more listens.

BTW, I have nothing against Joanna Newsom, in fact I enjoy her quite a bit. She's just not in the same league as LCD Soundsystem. But to each his own, right?

Right. Even if you had something against her, don't worry about it, i'm not one of those wacko crazy fans who love to fight and don't respect opinions! You have your right to dislike her and that shouldn't change my opinion about her at all. But i'm glad you do like some of her stuff. I didn't mean to attack you or sound ignorant or anything you might have understood.

They are both terrific, i love them so much, i love her more, but i understand when you say they're not the same level. Although they both released albums among the greatest of last decade, they're way too different to be compared, and LCD has received more accolades. I ADORE Joanna, people who have read comments of mine know that, but I won't lie. The AM rankings don't lie.

The great artists are returning this year, it will be like a WAR. Especially if their albums reach the highs of Beach House's, Newsom's, Vampire Weekend's and LCD's. Even those "small" artists of last decade like Laura Marling are releasing good stuff. And that new Kelis song... it's kinda of a guilty pleasure to some, trash to others and i might be crucified to say that, but i'm digging it! If only Fiona Apple released a new album, it has been like 5 years since Extraordinary Machine was released! I'm afraid that by the end of the year pick only 20 albums during AM'S EOY poll just won't be enough! But keep bringing the good music!

LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - 10/10
LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - Sound of Silver - 10/10
LCD SOUNDSYSTEM - This is Happening - 10/10

Needless to say, I am a fan of James Murphy & co.

Standout track from THIS IS HAPPENING --> "Home"

After about 10 listens I've re-evaluated this album. I think it's incredibly good. Each song is pretty much perfect, especially in context of the album, except for maybe Somebody's Calling Me which is just okay. The fact that Murphy makes 9 minute songs remain catchy and not feel even close to 9 minutes is a true achievement. All I Want and I Can Change are as good as pretty much anything I've heard from him, including even All My Friends. But comparing this album to Sound of Silver does a disservice to it. It's very different, and an incredible achievement in it's own right.

I suspect it's going to get rave reviews from pretty much everywhere.

SR
After about 10 listens I've re-evaluated this album. I think it's incredibly good. Each song is pretty much perfect, especially in context of the album, except for maybe Somebody's Calling Me which is just okay. The fact that Murphy makes 9 minute songs remain catchy and not feel even close to 9 minutes is a true achievement. All I Want and I Can Change are as good as pretty much anything I've heard from him, including even All My Friends. But comparing this album to Sound of Silver does a disservice to it. It's very different, and an incredible achievement in it's own right.

I suspect it's going to get rave reviews from pretty much everywhere.

I really love the whole thing! I've only played the stream twice, as I want the album to still be fresh once the CD comes! "All I Want", "I Can Change" and "One Touch" are early favorites, but the whole thing makes me quite giddy!

Dance Yrslef Clean is the best song I've heard of his since Tribulations. The rest is just ok. I'm just not on the same page as everybody else these days. I can't say it's because I'm hitting 30 this year, I still enjoy new music and a lot of stuff in the same vein as LCD is right up my alley. But most of the stuff that's getting rave reviews these days just doesn't fit my tastes. I don't know maybe it is the age thing- Maybe I have predefined tastes and if a song/album doesn't at least explore the root of those tastes it just doesn't sound right to me.

As I mentioned in the 2010 albums thread, after one listen, it's an instant #1 of the year for me.

I'm not ready to put it above Sound of Silver yet, but I think it's possible I eventually will, and I have SoS in my top 50 all time.

And for the record, LCD Soundsystem > Joanna Newsom. But, only by one greater than sign!

I saw their Friday show at Terminal Five in Manhattan. To say they were incredibly is a huge understatement; easily the best concert I've ever been to. Every song was great, but the stand-outs were Get Innocuous! and All My Friends. Belting out All My Friends wil all of my friends was just an unreal experience. There was pretty much just shared euphoria between about 1000 people. I highly recommend the band's live show to anyone who might have the chance to see them. The setlist was:

Us vs Them
Drunk Girls
Get Innocuous!
Yr. City's a Sucker
Pow Pow
Daft Punk Is Playing At My House
All I Want
All My Friends
I Can Change
Tribulations
Movement
Yeah

Encore:
Someone Great
Losing My Edge
New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down/Empire State of Mind

Exact same setlist as in Paris 2 weeks ago I think.
Incredible set indeed ! And I confirm "All my Friends" live is a fabulous moment.

hmmm I never pictured James Murphy as much of a Jay-Z fan, but I guess I was wrong.

Anyways, I got tickets to see them in July at the Camp Bisco music fest and needless to say I'm beyond excited.