Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 32

LAST WEEK OF ROUND 1!

WEEK 32

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 0
1940s: 0
1950s: 8
1960s: 6
1970s: 5
1980s: 5
1990s: 7
2000s: 1

Also of note:
Two versions of "Good Golly Miss Molly"

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on this upcoming Saturday to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 11
#161: "Jump" - Van Halen [1984]
#352: "Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone [1969]
#673: "Black Steel" - Tricky [1995]
#864: "Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke [1958]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 1
#9: "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols [1977]
#504: "What's Love Got to Do with It" - Tina Turner [1984]
#521: "Watching the Detectives" - Elvis Costello [1977]
#1016: "Cold, Cold Heart" - Hank Williams [1950]

TCHAIKOVSKY BLOC, BRACKET 13
#27: "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles [1959]
#486: "Vogue" - Madonna [1990]
#539: "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong [1970]
#998: "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels [1966]

SIBELIUS BLOC, BRACKET 12
#81: "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry [1955]
#432: "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan [1965]
#593: "Can't Stand Me Now" - The Libertines [2004]
#944: "Middle of the Road" - Pretenders [1984]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
#77: "Runaway" - Del Shannon [1963]
#436: "New Year's Day" - U2 [1983]
#589: "Take Me to the River" - Al Green [1974]
#948: "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra [1956]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
#111: "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison [1964]
#402: "Search and Destroy" - Iggy & the Stooges [1973]
#623: "Alright" - Supergrass [1995]
#914: "Tequila" - The Champs [1958]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
#254: "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard [1958]
#259: "Your Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams [1952]
#766: "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check" - Busta Rhymes [1996]
#771: "Motorcycle Emptiness" - Manic Street Preachers [1992]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
#101: "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - The Shirelles [1960]
#412: "Sour Times" - Portishead [1994]
#613: "Super Freak" - Rick James [1981]
#924: "The Drowners" - Suede [1993]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 32

Three things...

1. Just wanted to let everyone know that the Bracketology site is up-to-date again. If someone sees any mistakes with it, please let me know.

2. I'll be posting statistics (who picked the most winners, what are the best-performing songs, etc.) after Week 32.

3. I wanted to bump this to the top of the forum, since it had slipped down below a few other weeks.

Thank you, and good night.

I hope this will be the last time I must plead too little time to make comments (especially since the second round is up next, and we’ll be down to four brackets a week…right, Matt? Matt?)

BEETHOVEN 11
1. JUMP. Ah, 1984. Hard as it may be to realize, there really once was a time when Van Halen could announce they were going in a bold new direction…and nobody cringed. For all that it’s a little bit contrived and high-concept, it’s a great song.
2. EVERYDAY PEOPLE
3. WONDERFUL WORLD
4. BLACK STEEL

RACHMANINOFF 1
1. WATCHING THE DETECTIVES. There are very few better lines—ever—than “she’s filing her nails while they’re dragging the lake.” Costello’s snarling pub-rock and hard-bitten noir lyrics are a perfect match.
2. ANARCHY IN THE U.K. Hard to put this in second (“God Save the Queen” would have won this group).
3. COLD, COLD HEART. And it’s hard to put Hank in third. Tough group!
4. WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT. I never got this.

TCHAIKOVSKY 13
1. WHAT’D I SAY. Ray’s magnum opus, from long before the period when pop stars started to crank out magna opera as a matter of course.
2. WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD
3. VOGUE
4. DEVIL WITH A BLUE DRESS ON/GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY. It’s incredibly unfair to Mitch Ryder to have to appear the same week as the man he covered; however, this would still be an easy #4 in this group regardless.

SIBELIUS 12. TERRIFIC bracket.
1. MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. The Pretenders’ best song and one of the most energetic rockers of its decade.
2. MAYBELLENE
3. CAN’T STAND ME NOW
4. POSITIVELY 4TH STREET. Positively 4th place in this group (although it would be higher in most others…and no, I didn’t rank it here just for the sake of a cheesy paraphrase).

BRAHMS 8
1. NEW YEAR’S DAY. Might be the first full flowering of That Voice, and it’s certainly the best performance by the Edge to that point in their career.
2. RUNAWAY
3. TAKE ME TO THE RIVER
4. I’VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN

LISZT 16
1. SEARCH AND DESTROY. I’ve loved this song from the moment I first heard it, but I have an even greater appreciation since it was used in an episode of Lost a couple of months ago: the scene was Sawyer sitting in his underwear, suicidally drunk, listening to this on vinyl in an abandoned cabin. The song matched the situation perfectly (for those who have not drunk the Lost kool-aid, ignore comment and carry on).
2. OH, PRETTY WOMAN. There are five or six songs this week which I feel just sick about having in second place; this, my favorite song by Roy, may be the most egregious example.
3. ALRIGHT
4. TEQUILA

MOZART 2. Another fantastic, if rather schizophrenic, bracket.
1. GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY. For some reason, it’s that great baritone sax part that puts this over the top for me.
2. YOUR CHEATIN’ HEART
3. WOO HAH!! GOT YOU ALL IN CHECK
4. MOTORCYCLE EMPTINESS

WAGNER 16
1. SOUR TIMES. Experience.
2. WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW? Innocence.
3. SUPER FREAK
4. THE DROWNERS

#998: "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels [1966]
Not my favorite bracket.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16

#161: "Jump" - Van Halen [1984] (Best Van Halen song PERIOD)

#9: "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols [1977] (Best punk song)

#27: "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles [1959] (Freakin awesome)

#432: "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan [1965] (Reminds me or LARS)

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
#436: "New Year's Day" - U2 [1983] (An underrated masterpiece)

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
#111: "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison [1964] (great beat, great riff)

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
#254: "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard [1958] (Classic Little Richard)

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
#613: "Super Freak" - Rick James [1981] (mkae yous wanna bust a move)

1: "Jump" - Van Halen: A sign of getting older: the term "guilty pleasure" goes from being imperative to largely unnecessary. Three years ago (see bracketology '07), I felt a certain degree of shame for admitting the sense of delight I got from this '80s pop nugget. Now, I frankly don't care -- I don't need to justify my love for that synth riff or that wankerific guitar solo; it's just good.
2: "Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke
3: "Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone
4: "Black Steel" - Tricky

1: "Cold, Cold Heart" - Hank Williams
2: "What's Love Got to Do with It" - Tina Turner
3: "Watching the Detectives" - Elvis Costello
4: "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols: The degree to which I care about this glorified boy band is directly proportional to the amount of time I spent reading the recent Malcolm McLaren obit. on Pitchfork. Zero.

X: "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles
X: "Vogue" - Madonna
X: "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong
X: "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels

X: "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry
X: "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan
X: "Can't Stand Me Now" - The Libertines
X: "Middle of the Road" - Pretenders

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
1: "New Year's Day" - U2
2: "Take Me to the River" - Al Green
3: "Runaway" - Del Shannon
4: "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
X: "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison
X: "Search and Destroy" - Iggy & the Stooges
X: "Alright" - Supergrass
X: "Tequila" - The Champs

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
X: "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard
X: "Your Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams
X: "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check" - Busta Rhymes
X: "Motorcycle Emptiness" - Manic Street Preachers

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16

1: "Sour Times" - Portishead: Pretty much the sole reason for commenting this week. Dummy has been in my collection for the past dozen years or so, but it was one of those records that never really did anything for me. I'd play it from time to time, mostly out of respect for a guilty displeasure (and on occasion during a roll in the hay; I'd heard it was good for that), but it would always just slink into the background rather than engage. But something happened about four months ago -- this song showed up one day during one of those I'm-gonna-shuffle-my-entire-music-library moments, and my jaw dropped; I was stunned by how f#cking good it was. The vocals, the percussion, the atmosphere; it was incredible, and the polar opposite of my previous impression of it. From that, it led me to revisit the album, and sure enough... it all made sense. It's such a singular LP, with 11 songs cut from the same cloth, so I knew it would be one of those moments where I'd never look at a particular album the same way.

2: "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - The Shirelles: Possibly my favorite girl-group song of all time.
3: "The Drowners" - Suede
4: "Super Freak" - Rick James

1. "Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone [1969]: Their biggest hit is a classic that’s as endearing as it is enduring. No matter what kind of mood you’re in, if it comes on the radio you’ll be guaranteed to feel better two and a half minutes later.
2. "Jump" - Van Halen [1984]: I still remember how startling the synths were at the time; lots of fans cried sellout, but Dave was still Dave and Eddie was still Eddie (the way the melody disappears during the guitar solo is pretty nervy, by the way), and this was not only an undeniable monster hit but a deserving one.
3. "Black Steel" - Tricky [1995]: Not so much a cover of the P.E. classic as a sonic deconstruction, one that ditches the entire prison-break narrative because it realizes that nothing could ever top the subversion of those opening lines (“it said they were suckers,” indeed).
4. "Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke [1960]: SH2B4, the first of several in this final week of Round 1 (whew!). Understated and timeless (in its sentiments, at least – does anyone born in the last 40 years even know what a slide rule was?), and of course effortlessly sung.

1. "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols [1976]: Greatest debut single ever? Possibly. Malcolm McLaren’s death this week (R.I.P.) triggered reminders of just how frightening they seemed to mainstream society at the time; manufactured as they were, the fury was real, and so was the art.
2. "Watching the Detectives" - Elvis Costello [1977]: It’s essentially a song about a guy thwarted in his efforts to get laid because his date is enthralled with the TV drama she’s watching, but the music (tense, clammy, and chilling, and welcome to the party, Steve Nieve – feel free to never leave) transforms it into something gripping and unforgettable.
3. "Cold, Cold Heart" - Hank Williams [1950]: A remarkably sophisticated song; if this had been the only thing Williams ever did, it would be enough to ensure his immortality.
4. "What's Love Got to Do with It" - Tina Turner [1984]: SH2B4, but to a lesser extent – while her comeback is certainly one of rock’s most inspiring stories, her actual comeback music has always struck me as a bit too slick and polished for its own good.

1. "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles [1959]: One of the most important records ever made – arguably, soul music starts right here. Brilliant electric piano and even more brilliant (and brilliantly salacious) call-and-response vocals. The rumor was that to become a Raelette, you had to “let Ray”; on this record it sounds like they’re letting him, right there in the studio.
2. "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels [1966]: Ryder and his Motor City cohorts were true wild men of mid-Sixties rock, never more so than on this stunningly energetic medley, keyed to John Badanjek’s explosive drumming.
3. "Vogue" - Madonna [1990]: A terrific single, but a comedown after 1. and 2.
4. "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong [1968]: Sorry, Satchmo. As overexposed as a song can be.

1. "Middle of the Road" - Pretenders [1984]: This staggering slab of Eighties rock has been one of my favorite records from the day of its release. There will never come a day when I won’t turn up the radio as loud as I can when this comes on. Special kudos to Martin Chambers, one of rock’s most criminally underrated drummers.
2. "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan [1965]: It’s kind of like some of the scenes from DON’T LOOK BACK – it’s so relentless in its bile that you end up feeling a little sorry for whoever Bob’s target is. Which makes it an even more unlikely Top Ten hit than “Like a Rolling Stone.” But it’s still an unassailably great record.
3. "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry [1955]: Set the template not only for all of Berry’s subsequent hits (although as the first, it’s a little rawer-sounding than its successors) but for every rock and roll car song to come.
4. "Can't Stand Me Now" - The Libertines [2004]: I like both albums quite a bit (with the second one, of which this is the lead track, offering the perverse spectacle of hearing the band disintegrate before your ears), but this is a very tough (up the) bracket.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Runaway" - Del Shannon [1961]: A uniquely haunted song with a haunting vocal, but we all know the real reason it became such a huge hit and instant classic – that freakish, what-the-hell’s-THAT keyboard (for the record, it’s a quasi-organ called the Musitron, played – and built – by one Max Crook).
2. "New Year's Day" - U2 [1983]: One of the tracks that defined and solidified their sound; Bono’s passion is palpable, as usual, but this one belongs to The Edge all the way, doing double duty on guitar and piano and keeping things both propulsive and textured.
3. "Take Me to the River" - Al Green [1974]: I actually prefer the Talking Heads cover, but it’s a fine line. Green just makes everything he does seem effortlessly cool.
4. "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra [1956]: I appreciate Fifties Frank as much as anyone, but I haven’t yet reached the point where this song for swingin’ lovers affects me the way the other three songs in this bracket do.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Search and Destroy" - Iggy & the Stooges [1973]: One of the most exciting records ever made. Rock and roll aggression and exhilaration in its purest form, uncut and ready to be mainlined into your veins via your eardrums. Raw power, indeed.
2. "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison [1964]: Iggy annihilates the rest of this bracket, but the Big O’s supremely uncharacteristic (at least until the doubts creep in toward the end) swagger, embodied in one of the all-time great riffs, is as close as second can possibly be here.
3. "Alright" - Supergrass [1995]: Hard to imagine anyone not smiling at this.
4. "Tequila" - The Champs [1958]: Fun, and certainly one of those “once heard, never forgotten” records. But I don’t need to hear it again for a long time.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard [1958]: Like the bracket above, this one is utterly owned by another working definition of pure rock excitement. One of Richard’s most unhinged performances (that scream before the break could give Roger Daltrey’s a run for its money), which is saying something.
2. "Your Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams [1952]: Not as great as this week’s other Williams song, but a massively influential classic.
3. "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check" - Busta Rhymes [1996]: Busta’s certainly a character, and this is great fun for a while. Until it isn’t.
4. "Motorcycle Emptiness" - Manic Street Preachers [1992]: As I’ve said before, I’ve never quite gotten the worship for these guys, although I respect it, and them.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - The Shirelles [1960]: So elegant and so brilliantly performed and arranged that it got away with being far more frank about what it’s about than most songs of its era. What’s even more striking is the knowledge that Carole King was all of 18 when she co-wrote it.
2. "Sour Times" - Portishead [1994]: Their early signature track, with its cool vibe and incredible TV-spy-soundtrack sampled hooks, didn’t sound like anything else out there at the time, and it still doesn’t.
3. "Super Freak" - Rick James [1981]: Still irresistible after all these years.
4. "The Drowners" - Suede [1993]: As always, Bernard Butler’s guitar keeps this afloat (no pun necessarily intended), but it doesn’t do much for me.

#352: "Everyday People" - Sly & Family Stone [1969]

Black Steel is the prime example that comes to my mind when I talk about what a good cover is : keeping the original message safe but delivering it in a totally different way

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16

hope there won't be ties because I don't have time for comment (or for listening to the songs I don't know as a matter of fact)

1 - "Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke [1958]
2 - "Jump" - Van Halen [1984]
3 - "Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone [1969]
4 - "Black Steel" - Tricky [1995]

1 - "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols [1977]
2 - "What's Love Got to Do with It" - Tina Turner [1984]
3 - "Watching the Detectives" - Elvis Costello [1977]
4 - "Cold, Cold Heart" - Hank Williams [1950]

1 - "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong [1970]
2 - "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles [1959]
3 - "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels [1966]
4 - "Vogue" - Madonna [1990]

1 - "Middle of the Road" - Pretenders [1984]
2 - "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry [1955]
3 - "Can't Stand Me Now" - The Libertines [2004]
4 - "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan [1965]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
1 - "Runaway" - Del Shannon [1963]
2 - "New Year's Day" - U2 [1983]
3 - "Take Me to the River" - Al Green [1974]
4 - "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra [1956]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
1 - "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison [1964]
2 - "Search and Destroy" - Iggy & the Stooges [1973]
3 - "Alright" - Supergrass [1995]
4 - "Tequila" - The Champs [1958]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
1 - "Motorcycle Emptiness" - Manic Street Preachers [1992]
2 - "Your Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams [1952]
3 - "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard [1958]
4 - "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check" - Busta Rhymes [1996]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1 - "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - The Shirelles [1960]
2 - "The Drowners" - Suede [1993]
3 - "Sour Times" - Portishead [1994]
4 - "Super Freak" - Rick James [1981]

Reimagining that Public Enemy song with a hauntingly desperate female voice and moody drum line was just plain brilliant.
This has to be one of the funnest guitar riffs in all 80's rock.
Good pop song. A tad too 'educational'.
Nice simple song. The whole "Man I'm such a dummy" thing gets a little old after hearing the tenth version of the same song.

I really, really need some Hank Williams albums.
Not one of the best songs from his first three albums, but better than the rest of the bracket.
A strong vocal performance saves an otherwise mediocre song.
This sort of punk song is so cheesy and fake. If there were actual anarchy Sid Vicious would be cowering in a corner somewhere trying not to get killed by bicycle gangs. Musically it's so tedious, and the way he sings the lines, with the unnecessary rolling of r's, the 'NNNAHHH!' at the end of sentences. All flair and no substance.

Good song, little schmaltzy.
One of Madonna's more MTV-oriented songs. But in this case, she pulls it off. (Even if the lyrics are annoying).
One of the great hooks. A little too reliant on that hook.
Not a bad song, but worst in this bracket. This seems to be the 'good song/stupid lyrics' bracket.

Gotta love the energy of Chuck Berry songs.
Good britpop.
I need to listen to great songs that aren't on great albums more often. Nobody says 'Screw you' better than Dylan.
Good song.

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
I thought the Talking Heads one was the original. This version is better.
I like U2's pre-oversinging work.
Like the song, hate the 'WA WA WA WA WA' part.
One of the songs where Sinatra coasts on charisma.

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
Awesome.
Okay. A little cheesy.
Pretty good song.
A song I think is super-overrated. Something about the whole unspecificness of the woman I find offputting.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
I haven't heard this since it came out. It's pretty much five minutes of unabated in your face weirdness and personality. Awesome. Especially with the video.
The thing that stands out about MSP for me is the guitar. When the song has a good melody too, it's even better.
Good charismatic performance.
A bit bland, except for Williams' emotional signing.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
Am I the only one who likes Third better than Dummy? Not that Dummy isn't a great album. The whole mood of it doesn't hold up to repetition as well. But, it's good enough for me to vote for it in this bracket.
Okay. Suede doesn't do that much for me. They work better hearing one song than hearing the whole album in a row. In a full album their songs blur together.
Awesomely funky. Too hook oriented.
Good song.

I'm in the same boat, schleuse. Ran out of time for comments. Oh, and yes. The next round will be only four brackets per week.

1. "Jump" - Van Halen
It's one of those songs that is cross-generational. My dad, who loves Barbra Streisand and James Taylor, even loves this song.
2. "Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone [1969]
3. "Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke [1958]
4. "Black Steel" - Tricky [1995]

1. "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols [1977]
Quite possibly my favorite song in a genre that I don't really appreciate. Absolutely brutal.
2. "What's Love Got to Do with It" - Tina Turner [1984]
3. "Watching the Detectives" - Elvis Costello [1977]
4. "Cold, Cold Heart" - Hank Williams [1950]

1. "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles [1959]
This is where soul music really was born. Just a whale of a song. FANTASTIC.
2. "Vogue" - Madonna [1990]
Great song, great video.
3. "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels [1966]
Cheesy, perhaps. But a lot of fun.
4. "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong [1970]
Overdone to the extreme. Kenny G destroyed it for me.

1. "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan [1965]
Maybe my favorite by Dylan.
2. "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry [1955]
3. "Middle of the Road" - Pretenders [1984]
4. "Can't Stand Me Now" - The Libertines [2004]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra [1956]
Ol' Blue Eyes doesn't get enough respect. Make it swing, baby!
2. "Take Me to the River" - Al Green [1974]
3. "Runaway" - Del Shannon [1963]
4. "New Year's Day" - U2 [1983]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Search and Destroy" - Iggy & the Stooges [1973]
Powerful and compact. Not my favorite category, though. Sort of a winner by default.
2. "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison [1964]
There's a family rumor that my aunt once dated a guy simply because he could do the "rowr" part from this song.
3. "Tequila" - The Champs [1958]
Quite possibly the greatest song with only one word.
4. "Alright" - Supergrass [1995]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Motorcycle Emptiness" - Manic Street Preachers [1992]
I knew back a few weeks ago when the other MSP song came up (and fell hard) that this one didn't have a chance in this bracket, but I absolutely adore this song. Some songs I could listen to over and over again. This is one of them.
2. "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check" - Busta Rhymes [1996]
Another one that has no chance of winning, but it's just too damn fun, even though it's a fact that white people (like myself) have no business ever saying "Woo hah!"
3. "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard [1958]
It'll win without my vote, but it's a worthy winner.
4. "Your Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams [1952]
SHTB4.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Sour Times" - Portishead [1994]
Chill while being chilling at the same time. Eerie combination.
2. "Super Freak" - Rick James [1981]
WHAT DID THE FIVE FINGERS SAY TO THE FACE?
3. "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - The Shirelles [1960]
This might be blasphemy, but I actually prefer the version that Carole King herself recorded.
4. "The Drowners" - Suede [1993]
For as much as I like Britpop, I just haven't gotten into Suede that much.

I'm going out with some friends tonight and I might not be back until late. So if anyone needs a little bit more time tonight, you've got it.

1: "Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke [1958]
2: "Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone [1969]
3: "Jump" - Van Halen [1984]
4: "Black Steel" - Tricky [1995]

1: "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols [1977]
2: "What's Love Got to Do with It" - Tina Turner [1984]
3: "Watching the Detectives" - Elvis Costello [1977]
4: "Cold, Cold Heart" - Hank Williams [1950]

1: "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles [1959]
2: "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong [1970]
3: "Vogue" - Madonna [1990]
4: "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels [1966]

1: "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan [1965]
2: "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry [1955]
3: "Middle of the Road" - Pretenders [1984]
4: "Can't Stand Me Now" - The Libertines [2004]

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8: Not a bad one in the bunch.
1: "Runaway" - Del Shannon [1963]
2: "Take Me to the River" - Al Green [1974]
3: "New Year's Day" - U2 [1983]
4: "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra [1956]

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
1: "Search and Destroy" - Iggy & the Stooges [1973]
2: "Alright" - Supergrass [1995]
3: "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison [1964]
4: "Tequila" - The Champs [1958]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
1: "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard [1958]
2: "Your Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams [1952]
3: "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check" - Busta Rhymes [1996]
4: "Motorcycle Emptiness" - Manic Street Preachers [1992]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1: "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - The Shirelles [1960]
2: "Super Freak" - Rick James [1981]
3: "Sour Times" - Portishead [1994]
4: "The Drowners" - Suede [1993]

Just got back in. And voting for this week is now over.

RESULTS

1. "Jump" - Van Halen (30 points, 5 first-place votes)
2. "Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone (25, 1)
3. "Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke (19, 1)
4. "Black Steel" - Tricky (16, 2)

In the next round: the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil"; Prince & the Revolution's "Purple Rain"; the Velvet Underground's "Pale Blue Eyes"

1. "Anarchy in the U.K." - The Sex Pistols (27, 5)
2. "What's Love Got to Do with It" - Tina Turner (22, 1)
3. "Watching the Detectives" - Elvis Costello (22, 1)
4. "Cold, Cold Heart" - Hank Williams (19, 2)

In the next round: the Beatles' "Yesterday"; Prince & the Revolution's "Kiss"; Arcade Fire's "Rebellion (Lies)"

1. "What'd I Say" - Ray Charles (25, 5)
2. "What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong (19, 2)
3. "Vogue" - Madonna (13, 0)
4. "Devil with a Blue Dress On/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels (13, 0)

In the next round: Sinéad O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U"; the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows"; Robert Johnson's "Hellhound on My Trail"

1. "Maybellene" - Chuck Berry (22, 2)
2. "Middle of the Road" - Pretenders (19, 3)
3. "Positively 4th Street" - Bob Dylan (18, 2)
4. "Can't Stand Me Now" - The Libertines (11, 0)

In the next round: the Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony"; Sonic Youth's "Teen Age Riot"; the Beatles' "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"

BRAHMS BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "New Year's Day" - U2 (29, 4)
2. "Runaway" - Del Shannon (25, 2)
3. "Take Me to the River" - Al Green (24, 2)
4. "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra (12, 1)

In the next round: OutKast's "Hey Ya!"; the Beatles' "Penny Lane"; Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man"

LISZT BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Search and Destroy" - Iggy & the Stooges (28, 5)
2. "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison (24, 3)
3. "Alright" - Supergrass (15, 0)
4. "Tequila" - The Champs (13, 0)

In the next round: the Kinks' "You Really Got Me"; Soft Cell's "Tainted Love"; Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way"

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 2
1. "Good Golly Miss Molly" - Little Richard (22, 4)
2. "Your Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams (17, 0)
3. "Woo Hah!! Got You All in Check" - Busta Rhymes (16, 1)
4. "Motorcycle Emptiness" - Manic Street Preachers (15, 2)

In the next round: the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations"; Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps' "Be-Bop-a-Lula"; Curtis Mayfield's "Move On Up"

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 16
1. "Sour Times" - Portishead (25, 4)
2. "Will You Love Me Tomorrow?" - The Shirelles (23, 2)
3. "Super Freak" - Rick James (19, 2)
4. "The Drowners" - Suede (13, 0)

In the next round: the Jimi Hendrix Experience's "Hey Joe"; TV on the Radio's "Wolf Like Me"; Johnny Cash's "Hurt"

Took me long enough, I know. Here are the final statistics...

TOP 25 BEST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "(Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding [3.905 points per vote]
2. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys [3.9] tie
2. "I Want You Back" - The Jackson 5 [3.9] tie
2. "A Change Is Gonna Come" - Sam Cooke [3.9] tie
5. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [3.882]
6. "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" - The Four Tops [3.8]
7. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - Nirvana [3.778]
8. "Like a Rolling Stone" - Bob Dylan [3.765]
9. "All Along the Watchtower" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [3.75]
10. "House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals [3.727] tie
10. "Paint It, Black" - The Rolling Stones [3.727] tie
12. "All My Friends" - LCD Soundsystem [3.714]
13. "You Really Got Me" - The Kinks [3.7]
14. "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" - Marvin Gaye [3.667] tie
14. "Crazy" - Gnarls Barkley [3.667] tie
14. "Georgia on My Mind" - [3.667] tie
17. "Ms. Jackson" - OutKast [3.65]
18. "Purple Haze" - The Jimi Hendrix Experience [3.643]
19. "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon & Garfunkel [3.636] tie
19. "You Send Me" - Sam Cooke [3.636] tie
21. "The Tracks of My Tears" - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles [3.615] tie
21. "Psycho Killer" - Talking Heads [3.615] tie
23. "'Heroes'" - David Bowie [3.611]
24. "Once in a Lifetime" - Talking Heads [3.6] tie
24. "B.O.B." - OutKast [3.6] tie

TOP 25 WORST-PERFORMING SONGS
1. "God Bless America" - Kate Smith [1.077]
2. "Chime" - Orbital [1.176]
3. "MMMBop" - Hanson [1.182] tie
3. "Hollaback Girl" - Gwen Stefani [1.182] tie
5. "Back in the Saddle Again" - Gene Autry [1.214]
6. "Young Blood" - The Coasters [1.235]
7. "Coal Miner's Daughter" - Loretta Lynn [1.273] tie
7. "Love Letters" - Ketty Lester [1.273] tie
7. "SexyBack" - Justin Timberlake [1.273] tie
10. "Hong Kong Garden" - Siouxsie and the Banshees [1.286]
11. "All I Wanna Do" - Sheryl Crow [1.3] tie
11. "Daft Punk Is Playing at My House" - LCD Soundsystem [1.3] tie
13. "Stay" - Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs [1.308]
14. "Donna" - Ritchie Valens [1.333] tie
14. "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" - Queens of the Stone Age [1.333] tie
14. "I've Got You Under My Skin" - Frank Sinatra [1.333] tie
17. "You're No Good" - Linda Ronstadt [1.35]
18. "Just the Way You Are" - Billy Joel [1.353]
19. "Welcome to Jamrock" - Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley [1.364] tie
19. "Money Honey" - The Drifters [1.364] tie
21. "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" - Culture Club [1.375]
22. "The Show" - Doug E. Fresh & the Get Fresh Crew [1.385]
23. "Hot in Herre" - Nelly [1.4] tie
23. "I Want It That Way" - Backstreet Boys [1.4] tie
23. "I Wonder Why" - Dion & the Belmonts [1.4] tie

TOP 25 WORST-PERFORMING SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "California Girls" - The Beach Boys [2.667] tie
1. "God" - John Lennon [2.667] tie
1. "One More Time" - Daft Punk [2.667] tie
4. "(Love Is Like a] Heat Wave" - Martha & the Vandellas [2.714]
5. "It Takes Two" - Rob Base & DJ E-Z Rock [2.727] tie
5. "Cut Your Hair" - Pavement [2.727] tie
5. "Flash Light" - Parliament [2.727] tie
8. "I Feel Love" - Donna Summer [2.75] tie
8. "Wichita Lineman" - Glen Campbell [2.75] tie
8. "West End Girls" - Pet Shop Boys [2.75] tie
11. "Me, Myself and I" - De La Soul [2.765]
12. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [2.769]
13. "Heartbreak Hotel" - Elvis Presley [2.778]
14. "Blueberry Hill" - Fats Domino [2.8] tie
14. "Black Hole Sun" - Soundgarden [2.8] tie
14. "Alive" - Pearl Jam [2.8] tie
17. "Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman [2.810]
18. "Genius of Love" - Tom Tom Club [2.813]
19. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [2.818] tie
19. "Hit the Road Jack" - Ray Charles [2.818] tie
21. "Be-Bop-a-Lula" - Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps [2.833]
22. "Fortunate Son" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [2.842]
23. "For What It's Worth" - Buffalo Springfield [2.846] tie
23. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars [2.846] tie
25. "Blowin' in the Wind" - Bob Dylan [2.85)

TOP 25 BEST-PERFORMING SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "God Save the Queen" - The Sex Pistols [3.273]
2. "Feel Good Inc." - Gorillaz (Featuring De La Soul) [3.125]
3. "Alison" - Elvis Costello [3.181]
4. "Folsom Prison Blues" - Johnny Cash [3.111]
5. "Rock Lobster" - The B-52's [3.091] tie
5. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" - The Beatles [3.091] tie
7. "All the Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople [3.077] tie
7. "She's Not There" - The Zombies [3.077] tie
9. "Ain't No Sunshine" - Bill Withers [3.071]
10. "All Apologies" - Nirvana [3.063]
11. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [3.059]
12. "I Can See for Miles" - The Who [3.053]
13. "Rid of Me" - PJ Harvey [3.036]
14. "One" - U2 [3.0] tie
14. "Oh, Pretty Woman" - Roy Orbison [3.0] tie
14. "Brass in Pocket" - Pretenders [3.0] tie
14. "Try a Little Tenderness" - Otis Redding [3.0] tie
14. "Intergalactic" - Beastie Boys [3.0] tie
14. "The Boys of Summer" - Don Henley [3.0] tie
14. "Rock the Casbah" - The Clash [3.0] tie
14. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" - Elton John [3.0] tie
14. "I Know You Got Soul" - Eric B. & Rakim [3.0] tie
14. "Got My Mojo Working" - Muddy Waters [3.0] tie
14. "Where the Streets Have No Name" - U2 [3.0] tie
14. "Desolation Row" - Bob Dylan [3.0] tie
14. "Oliver's Army" - Elvis Costello & the Attractions [3.0] tie
14. "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [3.0] tie
14. "Atmosphere" - Joy Division [3.0] tie

25 LOWEST-RANKED SONGS TO ADVANCE TO THE SECOND ROUND
1. "Burning Down the House" - Talking Heads [ranked #1009]
2. "Frankie Teardrop" - Suicide [#990]
3. "Mr. Tambourine Man" - Bob Dylan [#920]
4. "Last Goodbye" - Jeff Buckley [#919]
5. "Flash Light" - Parliament [#891]
6. "River Man" - Nick Drake [#890]
7. "Free Man in Paris" - Joni Mitchell [#882]
8. "Ashes to Ashes" - David Bowie [#878]
9. "Hit the Road Jack" - Ray Charles [#873]
10. "Hellhound on My Trail" - Robert Johnson [#870]
11. "Hard to Explain" - The Strokes [#851]
12. "One More Time" - Daft Punk [#824]
13. "Koko" - Charlie Parker [#821]
14. "Just What I Needed" - The Cars [#818]
15. "Alive" - Pearl Jam [#809]
16. "Pale Blue Eyes" - The Velvet Underground [#801]
17. "Paper Planes" - M.I.A. [#793]
18. "Pyramid Song" - Radiohead [#778]
19. "That's When I Reach for My Revolver" - Mission of Burma [#772]
20. "Rebellion (Lies)" - Arcade Fire [#760]
21. "Soon" - My Bloody Valentine [#756]
22. "God" - John Lennon [#714]
23. "Karma Police" - Radiohead [#709]
24. "Rock & Roll" - The Velvet Underground [#708]
25. "I Saw the Light" - Todd Rundgren [#704]

25 HIGHEST-RANKED SONGS TO BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND
1. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" - The Rolling Stones [#2]
2. "The Message" - Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five [#15]
3. "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Joy Division [#16]
4. "God Save the Queen" - The Sex Pistols [#21]
5. "River Deep, Mountain High" - Ike & Tina Turner [#22]
6. "Tutti Frutti" - Little Richard [#28]
7. "Light My Fire" - The Doors [#34]
8. "Hey Jude" - The Beatles [#35]
9. "Hotel California" - The Eagles [#43]
10. "(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock" [#46]
11. "Proud Mary" - Creedence Clearwater Revival [#56]
12. "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" - Jerry Lee Lewis [#64]
13. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [#65]
14. "Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand [#69]
15. "Get Ur Freak On" - Missy Elliott [#70]
16. "That's All Right (Mama)" - Elvis Presley [#72]
17. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge [#73]
18. "Good Times" - Chic [#74]
19. "No Woman, No Cry" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [#75]
20. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [#76]
21. "Runaway" - Del Shannon [#77]
22. "Summertime Blues" - Eddie Cochran [#79]
23. "Mystery Train" - Elvis Presley [#83]
24. "Walk This Way" - Run-D.M.C. (With Aerosmith) [#88]
25. "Don't Be Cruel" - Elvis Presley [#92]

Other interesting statistics...

ARTISTS WITH AT LEAST THREE SONGS IN ROUND 2
1. The Beatles (16 songs)
2. David Bowie (6)
3. Prince (5)
3. Radiohead (5)
3. The Rolling Stones (5)
3. The Velvet Underground (5)
7. The Beach Boys (4)
7. Bob Dylan (4)
7. Aretha Franklin (4)
7. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (4)
11. Johnny Cash (3)
11. Ray Charles (3)
11. The Clash (3)
11. Michael Jackson (3) <- (and one more with the Jackson 5)
11. The Kinks (3)
11. OutKast (3)
11. Pixies (3)
11. Talking Heads (3)
11. U2 (3)
11. The Who (3)
11. Stevie Wonder (3)

HOW DID ARTISTS WITH MORE THAN ONE SONG IN ROUND ONE DO?
5 for 5 (100%) - Radiohead
3 for 3 (100%) - OutKast
2 for 2 (100%) - John Coltrane; Guns n' Roses; (Iggy &) The Stooges; Robert Johnson; Martha & the Vandellas; My Bloody Valentine; Pearl Jam
5 for 6 (83.3%) - The Velvet Underground
4 for 5 (80%) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience; Michael Jackson
3 for 4 (75%) - The Kinks; Pixies; Talking Heads
5 for 7 (71.4%) - The Beach Boys; Prince
4 for 6 (66.6%) - Aretha Franklin
2 for 3 (66.6%) - Al Green; Little Richard; Oasis; The Ramones; Smokey Robinson & the Miracles
16 for 25 (64%) - The Beatles
6 for 10 (60%) - David Bowie
3 for 5 (60%) - The Who; Stevie Wonder
3 for 6 (50%) - Ray Charles
2 for 4 (50%) - Chuck Berry; Johnny Cash; Sam Cooke; John Lennon; Simon & Garfunkel; The Temptations
1 for 2 (50%) - Glen Campbell; The Chemical Brothers; Jimmy Cliff; The Cure; De La Soul; Fats Domino; The Four Tops; Gorillaz; Billie Holiday; The Isley Brothers; Jay-Z; Jefferson Airplane; The Jesus & Mary Chain; Ben E. King; The Lovin' Spoonful; Lynyrd Skynyrd; Massive Attack; M.I.A.; Joni Mitchell; Pavement; Pet Shop Boys; Pulp; Red Hot Chili Peppers; Lou Reed; The Righteous Brothers; Sam & Dave; Smashing Pumpkins; Patti Smith; Sonic Youth; Steely Dan; The Strokes; The Verve; The White Stripes
3 for 7 (42.9%) - The Clash
2 for 5 (40%) - James Brown; Led Zeppelin; Nirvana; The Supremes
5 for 15 (33.3%) - The Rolling Stones
4 for 12 (33.3%) - Bob Dylan
3 for 9 (33.3%) - U2
2 for 6 (33.3%) - Beastie Boys; Beck; Blondie; The Byrds; Daft Punk; Eric B. & Rakim; The Police; Pretenders; Queen; Otis Redding; The Specials/The Special A.K.A.; Neil Young
2 for 8 (25%) - R.E.M.
1 for 4 (25%) - Buddy Holly; LCD Soundsystem; Van Morrison; Roy Orbison; Public Enemy; The Sex Pistols; Bruce Springsteen; Donna Summer
2 for 10 (20%) - Elvis Presley
1 for 5 (20%) - Blur; Creedence Clearwater Revival; Eminem; Sly & the Family Stone
1 for 6 (16.7%) - The Jam; New Order
1 for 7 (14.3%) - Elvis Costello
0 for 2 (0%) - 50 Cent; Louis Armstrong; The B-52's; Black Sabbath; Kate Bush; The Carter Family; Chic; The Chiffons; Patsy Cline; The Coasters; The Crystals; Depeche Mode; Devo; Dexys Midnight Runners; Missy Elliott; Fatboy Slim; Frankie Goes to Hollywood; Franz Ferdinand; The Fugees; Nelly Furtado; Grateful Dead; Happy Mondays; PJ Harvey; John Lee Hooker; Hot Chip; Elton John; George Jones; The Killers; Carole King; Leadbelly; Jerry Lee Lewis; Cyndi Lauper; Manic Street Preachers; Paul McCartney; Modest Mouse; The Monkees; The Notorious B.I.G.; N.W.A.; The O'Jay's; The Orioles; Dolly Parton; The Platters; Primal Scream; Queens of the Stone Age; Roxy Music; Santana; The Shangri-Las; Nancy Sinatra; Soul II Soul; Britney Spears; The Stone Roses; Suede; Supergrass; Timbaland; TLC; Tricky; Ritchie Valens; Kanye West; Robert Wyatt; The Young Rascals
0 for 3 (0%) - Buzzcocks; Bo Diddley; Dion; The Doors; Dr. Dre; Grandmaster Flash; Kraftwerk; Morrissey; Run-D.M.C.; Snoop Dogg; Justin Timberlake; Jackie Wilson
0 for 4 (0%) - AC/DC; The Everly Brothers; Joy Division; Pink Floyd; T. Rex; Muddy Waters
0 for 5 (0%) - The Drifters; Bob Marley
0 for 6 (0%) - Hank Williams
0 for 12 (0%) - Madonna

Wow! I can only imagine how long this took you!
I'm kind of surprised Bob Marley AC/DC and Pink Floyd did so bad.
I Laughed at Madonna (0 for 12!)

Listyguy

Yeah, it took me a fair amount of time. I'm going to need a bit more time to compile all the individual statistics (who guessed the most right, etc.).

I hope no one expects me to do these kind of statistics for Round 2 and beyond!

Thanks a lot for this. The contrast in quality between the best-performing and worst-performing songs is hilarious. I fully support most of those low-ranked songs being in and high ranked songs being out, except for the ridiculous "Burning Down the House" over "Love Will Tear Us Apart" upset.

Matt Schroeder
Listyguy

Yeah, it took me a fair amount of time. I'm going to need a bit more time to compile all the individual statistics (who guessed the most right, etc.).

I hope no one expects me to do these kind of statistics for Round 2 and beyond!

You want me to do it?

I was a bit surprised that Hey Jude and Satisfaction were eliminated in the first round. But, it fits well with my theory that the AMers generally prefer more obscure gems to well worn pop hits.