The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

Thoughts?

Personally I loved it. I dunno if it was as solid as "Ys" as a whole, but I think there is more to admire here...Might have something to do with there being2 plus hours of music...lol

Re: Joanna Newsom - Have One On Me

this is my first listen and i'm currently on "go long" which has an unbelievably great melodies in it. i thought the first disc was jaw-droppingly good and really enjoy this second disc but don't find it as good as the first disc. I'm really trying not to compare it to Ys because this album is just so good i want it to stand alone in my mind. the ambition to put out a triple album in this day and age is just fantastic and the quality is just so high, it's really mind blowing. will update with further impressions later

My album of the year. My first thought, was like, this is okay... then the whole CD1 grabbed me. I already loved: Easy, Jackrabbits, Good Intentions Paving Company, Kingfisher and 81, since all of them were performed live or streamed. But the disc number one had Baby Birch, No Provenance. Man, that was terrific: the melodies, the lyrics, the melodies. Then came On A Good Day and that didn't impress me much, until i played the album 2 again, and all the songs grabbed at once. The disc number 3 was the harder, after i few more listenings and a song at a time, it was there, the same awesomeness that was in the others! All i know is that it does take time. And it rewards... a lot. The production, the melodies, the lyrics is all more accessible than Ys, but don't judge as a sell out, or Joanna gone Pop, she's just easier, and her easier is harder than many other female's albums. All i know is just she managed the impossible: she delivered a triple album, she managed to do a terrific one. I won't hide i was kinda scare of how critics would receive this, with the notable exception of a PopMatters review, the rest has been incredibly positive. This album to me is like a third masterpiece from her, and only proves that she is genius. I just it hopes grows on everybody, it grew so much on me, that i listen to the album as whole at once, she made 2h fly like 40 minutes. I hope you guys enjoy too! I'm loving one. I adored to have one on her!

It's too long. I can never get through it in 1 sitting, which is a bad sign. Some of the individual songs are really good though, so it still gets a 7.5-8.0/10 for me.

I could barely get through 3 minutes of Ys yet alone 3 entire cds

Tim E
I could barely get through 3 minutes of Ys yet alone 3 entire cds

Have one on me is a lot more accessible than Ys. Give it a try.

Also, it's not a requirement that you have to listen to the whole album front to back to enjoy it. it's entirely possible to just listen to one CD at a time or whatever.

I enjoyed it my first time through but I'll need to listen to it some more to process it.

I don't think it's too long, cause it's varied enough.

Ys gripped me immediately and I knew it'd be one of my favorites of the year. Have One On Me didn't do that, but it seems like it's got a shot.

Listened to all three discs for the first time last night. First impression: it's definitely more accessible, both lyrically and musically, than her first two (which I both love, by the way). She's toned down some of the elfin quirkiness in her voice (based on an interview I read, this is an unintentional consequence of some serious throat problems Newsom's had in the interim, but it's turned out for the best), and her melodic gifts shine through more effortlessly here.

So do her influences - I'm hearing lots and lots and LOTS of Joni Mitchell in these songs, specifically the COURT AND SPARK/HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS Joni who was transitioning from folk-pop with arty/jazzy undercurrents to art-pop with jazzy/folky undercurrents, and that can never be a bad thing.

Even with the more varied musical settings on HAVE ONE ON ME, I have to admit that at least on a first listen a certain weariness factor sets in once you get to disc 3; there's a few too many slow ones in a row there, methinks. But it's a remarkable album as a whole. And "Good Intentions Paving Co." kicks ass.

Harold Wexler
Listened to all three discs for the first time last night. First impression: it's definitely more accessible, both lyrically and musically, than her first two (which I both love, by the way). She's toned down some of the elfin quirkiness in her voice (based on an interview I read, this is an unintentional consequence of some serious throat problems Newsom's had in the interim, but it's turned out for the best), and her melodic gifts shine through more effortlessly here.

So do her influences - I'm hearing lots and lots and LOTS of Joni Mitchell in these songs, specifically the COURT AND SPARK/HISSING OF SUMMER LAWNS Joni who was transitioning from folk-pop with arty/jazzy undercurrents to art-pop with jazzy/folky undercurrents, and that can never be a bad thing.

Even with the more varied musical settings on HAVE ONE ON ME, I have to admit that at least on a first listen a certain weariness factor sets in once you get to disc 3; there's a few too many slow ones in a row there, methinks. But it's a remarkable album as a whole. And "Good Intentions Paving Co." kicks ass.

I so agree with this. I also thought the third disc was too slow and not as good as the other 2 at first, now i love it! I hope that happens to you too! Good Intentions Paving Company is addicted. When it was first streamed, i was like... it's okay, but after i downloaded and find lyrics, like two days later, it was one of my favorites of the year! Like she said on the song: She's right there on the top of her game! (i know she didn't mean like that, but anyway! =])

I think it's a great album. The best of the year thus far; not sure if it's better than Ys...but that was one of my favorites of last decade. So we'll see.

I was so amazed with that freakin album (and i still am), that i made serious mistakes while typing my comment:

"My album of the year. My first thought, was like, this is okay... then the whole CD1 grabbed me. I already loved: "Easy", "Jackrabbits", "Good Intentions Paving Company", "Kingfisher" and "81", since all of them were performed live or streamed. But the disc number one had "Baby Birch", "No Provenance". Man, that was terrific: the melodies, the lyrics. Then came "On A Good Day" and that didn't impress me much, until i played the album 2 again, and all the songs grabbed me at once, again. The disc number 3 was the harder, after i few more listenings and a song at a time, it was there, the same awesomeness that was in the others! All i know is that it takes time. And it rewards... a lot. The production, the melodies, the lyrics is all more accessible than Ys, but don't judge as a sell out, or Joanna gone Pop, she's just easier, and her easier is still harder than many other female's albums. All I know is that she managed to accomplish the impossible: she delivered a triple album, she managed to do a terrific one. I won't hide i was kinda scare of how critics would receive this, but with the notable exception of a PopMatters review, the rest has been incredibly positive. This album to me is like a third masterpiece from her, and only proves that she is genius. I just hopes it grows on everybody, it grew so much on me, that now i listen to the whole album at once, she made 2h fly like 40 minutes. I hope you guys enjoy it too! I'm loving it. I adored to have one on her!"

Now that the mistakes have been corrected. My favorite of 2010, and for a minute i thought she would screw things up with this wacko idea of doing a triple record. But, thank God i trust on her and she did it. There's nothing to complain over here. Loved that she explored something jazzy, she just reminds me of Laura Nyro at her peak, and right now somewhere between Joni's use of jazz instruments on For The Roses and The Hissing Of Summer Lawns or Laura Nyro's early days at her peak. I hope she keeps this jazz feel next time around (maybe even going further on this) and accomplish even bigger things, she already did a lot with this one. My favorite album of this year and of the decade, so far and far and away!

And also, each day i have a favorite song: Yesterday was Baby Birch, now it's You & Me, Bess, two days ago i played the title track 27 times, while Does Not Suffice and Esme were played 21 times each the day this came out. It's hard to pick the best CD, i guess you should start on order. Joanna listening to this album during an week and a half to find out the best way to hear, the order of the tracks, and that's why this was a triple album, to make things easier. I guess tomorrow i will sure listen to Go Long like 30 times, while listening to the whole album!

I am in that minority of people who don't see the big deal about this girl. Her music is nice enough, but her vocals and lyrics are fairly annoying. I usually feel like I am listening to background music for a Dungeons & Dragons gaming session. You know, the part where the adventurers go to an Inn to relax after fighting a long battle while listening to power metal. I have no problem with RPGs, just keep them out of the music!

Viguen
I am in that minority of people who don't see the big deal about this girl. Her music is nice enough, but her vocals and lyrics are fairly annoying. I usually feel like I am listening to background music for a Dungeons & Dragons gaming session. You know, the part where the adventurers go to an Inn to relax after fighting a long battle while listening to power metal.

"I wanna cast a spell! I wanna cast Magic Missile!"
"Why are you casting Magic Missile? There's nothing to attack."
"I'm .. I'm attacking the darkness!"
[nerdy laughter breaks out]
"OK, you attack the darkness. There's an elf in front of you."
"That's me, right?"
"Right. You guys can talk to each other now."
"Hello. I am Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light!"
"Then why'd you have to cast Magic Missile?"
[more nerdy laughter]
-- from "Dungeons & Dragons" comedy routine by improv group The Dead Alewives

Kate Bush + Joni Mitchell + Karen Dalton = this record.

Awesome + Amazing + Ohmygodyes = this record

Good album? yeah, album of the year so far? hardly.

Have One On Me is a good album but runs a bit too long for me. Don't get me wrong though, "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness" runs just as long and is one of my all time favorite albums. I have nothing against "long" albums." Some songs go on for too long, while other songs are great the way they are. The album is ambitious, and it manages to avoid pretension.

7.5- 8/10

Critics might pick Teen Dream as their album of the year. But this is mine! The songs are amazing, hard to pick just one. It's all so magical! The harmonies, the jazzy feel, the country feel, the vocals, the lyrics, the harp, the piano. Everything comes together on this record!

You've gone from this...

Michael
this is my first listen and i'm currently on "go long" which has an unbelievably great melodies in it. i thought the first disc was jaw-droppingly good and really enjoy this second disc but don't find it as good as the first disc. I'm really trying not to compare it to Ys because this album is just so good i want it to stand alone in my mind. the ambition to put out a triple album in this day and age is just fantastic and the quality is just so high, it's really mind blowing. will update with further impressions later

To this...

Michael
Awesome + Amazing + Ohmygodyes = this record

That's what this record does to you after it grows on you.

Harold Wexler
Viguen
I am in that minority of people who don't see the big deal about this girl. Her music is nice enough, but her vocals and lyrics are fairly annoying. I usually feel like I am listening to background music for a Dungeons & Dragons gaming session. You know, the part where the adventurers go to an Inn to relax after fighting a long battle while listening to power metal.

"I wanna cast a spell! I wanna cast Magic Missile!"
"Why are you casting Magic Missile? There's nothing to attack."
"I'm .. I'm attacking the darkness!"
[nerdy laughter breaks out]
"OK, you attack the darkness. There's an elf in front of you."
"That's me, right?"
"Right. You guys can talk to each other now."
"Hello. I am Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light!"
"Then why'd you have to cast Magic Missile?"
[more nerdy laughter]
-- from "Dungeons & Dragons" comedy routine by improv group The Dead Alewives

I think the songs are great but I hate her voice and I never throw a word like hate around that often. It's nails on a chalkboard for me and I wish it wasn't because the music is really good.