The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bracketology: Round 1, Week 23

BRACKETOLOGY IS BACK!

I hope you can forgive me for taking so long to get this started back up again. I won't make any excuses for myself, so I'll just get going.

For anyone out there who wasn't around when this started up, the rules can be found here with a small change at the top of this page. Anyone is free to join, so if you haven't submitted a ballot before, it's never to late to start!

With that in mind, here are your brackets for Week 23...

WEEK 23

A little breakdown of this week's songs by decade...
1920s: 0
1930s: 0
1940s: 2
1950s: 0
1960s: 10
1970s: 9
1980s: 6
1990s: 1
2000s: 4

Also of note:
Two brackets from the Mozart bloc
Two brackets from the Beethoven bloc
Two songs by Prince (Moonbeam can celebrate!)

Here are this week's brackets. Remember, you can also view the brackets on this site. Voting is now open, and you have until 11:59 PM Pacific time on Saturday, February 6 to vote. Vote either in this thread or e-mail me.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
#163: "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals [1963]
#350: "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]
#675: "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]
#867: "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]

RACHMANINOFF BLOC, BRACKET 4
#120: "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
#393: "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]
#632: "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]
#905: "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
#133: "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]
#380: "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]
#645: "Epic" - Faith No More [1989]
#892: "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
#76: "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]
#437: "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]
#588: "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]
#949: "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 8
#65: "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]
#448: "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]
#577: "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]
#960: "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
#190: "The Weight" - The Band [1968]
#323: "Le Freak" - Chic [1978]
#702: "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004]
#835: "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]

BEETHOVEN BLOC, BRACKET 12
#96: "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]
#417: "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]
#608: "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982]
#929: "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard [1968]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
#185: "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]
#328: "1999" - Prince [1982]
#697: "Waterloo" - ABBA [1974]
#840: "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]

Re: Bracketology: Round 1, Week 23

It's back! Yes! If "1999" makes it through, that will make me happy for the first round- I don't care if every other one of my 1st place votes finishes last!

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]
2. "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals [1963]
3. "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]
4. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]

Easy win for Rev. Green.

1. "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]
2. "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
3. "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]
4. "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]

Carr is way ahead of the rest here with that devastating track, but "Yesterday" will win of course.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]
2. "Epic" - Faith No More [1989]
3. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]
4. "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006]

Always weird to pick between Roy Orbison and Faith No More.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
2. "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]
3. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]
4. "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]

Much as I love Zep and the Kinks, I've always considered these tracks on the novelty side of things for them. Gimme the lesser-known Wailers and Easybeats songs any day.

1. "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]
2. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]
3. "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]
4. "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]

Great Top 3, hideous No. 4.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
2. "The Weight" - The Band [1968]
3. "Le Freak" - Chic [1978]
4. "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004]

My favorite track from What's Going On, and that's saying a lot.

1. "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]
2. "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982]
3. "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard [1968]
4. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]

"Purple Rain" damn well better win this bracket.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "1999" - Prince [1982]
2. "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]
3. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]
4. "Waterloo" - ABBA [1974]

"1999" damn well better win this bracket.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
#1: "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals [1963]
#2: "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]
#3: "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]
#4: "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]

Kinda weak bracket, no songs I love, but Da Doo Ron Ron is pretty good.

#1: "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]
#2: "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
#3: "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]
#4: "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]

One of U2's best songs imo, Yesterday is also among my top 500 songs.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
#1: "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]
#2: "Epic" - Faith No More [1989]
#3: "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]
#4: "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006]

I could listen to "Only The Lonely" for hours on end. Not quite as good as "In Dreams" but miles ahead of the rest of the bracket.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
#1: "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]
#2: "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
#3: "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]
#4: "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]

Lola is one of my all-time favorites, and while Stir It Up and Whole Lotta Love are good songs they don't hold a candle to The Kinks' masterpiece.

#1: "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]
#2: "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]
#3: "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]
#4: "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]

Elvis' glorious (if short-lived) return to fame, and I'll be damned if it wasn't fantastic.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
#1: "The Weight" - The Band [1968]
#2: "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
#3: "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004]
#4: "Le Freak" - Chic [1978]

Another bracket with a song that's a heavy favorite of mine and three songs I don't care for much. Except this one has Le Freak, which I actively dislike.

#1: "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]
#2: "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]
#3: "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982]
#4: "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard [1968]

My favorite bracket of the week, the first three are all great and Merle is entertaining as always.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
#1: "1999" - Prince [1982]
#2: "Waterloo" - ABBA [1974]
#3: "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]
#4: "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]

1999 is an easy #1, even though it's only the third-best song on the album. That says more about the album than the song, though. The appeal of the bottom two I've simply never understood.

Just wanted to make sure everyone saw that the deadline for this week is next Saturday. Since I started the week late, I thought it wise to give everyone some extra time.

Maybe it's good that there is extra time this week... only two ballots in the first five days. But then I'm to blame as well. Anyway, here's my ballot.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]
This song holds up to this day. What an absolutely perfect pop song. Something about Roland Gift's falsetto is unnerving and off-putting, but exotic and alluring at the same time. And then when the chorus kicks in, pure bliss. I could listen to this song over and over and over. I remember watching a rerun of an episode of Saturday Night Live where FYC was the musical guest. They performed this song (and "Good Thing") and it sounded almost identical to the original. Maybe it's that iconic drum machine.
Incidentally, the host for that episode of SNL was Wayne Gretzky. I'm still trying to figure out why he was selected.
I agonized over the other three songs here, because all three are very good songs, but I gotta go with the sheer campiness of the Crystals here. Easily my favorite of the early '60s girl groups, and this song is just a hell of a lot of fun. Still, points get taken off for the opening couplet of "I met him on a Monday and my heart stood still/Somebody told me that his name was Bill".
3. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]
Al Green's early '70s work stacks up against some of the best R&B ever recorded. Fantastic baby-making music, which just feels weird considering Al's later switch to religious music. Still, this is a fantastic entry by Mr. Green.
4. "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]
An excellent song, with some fantastic lyrical slings (look out Dick Cheney and Limp Bizkit!) and some inventive rhymes ("I'm interesting/The best thing since wrestling"), but when, during the third verse, he tries to turn the song into a "beef song" against Moby, Em really goes off track. It would have been better if he had stuck to the idea that the music industry really did miss and need him. In the end, this song is basically just "My Name Is, Pt. 3" (or "The Real Slim Shady, Pt. 2"), and I prefer serious Eminem to commercial Eminem.

1. "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
Scrambled eggs? Yes, please.
2. "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]
Really underrated song by a really underrated singer. It's brimming with emotion, and you half expect Carr to just let loose and rip this song a new hole, but he stays restrained, and that tension is just right. A song like this makes you really consider cheating on your lover.
3. "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]
Back in '00, it seemed like you couldn't avoid this song. It was everywhere... on the radio, in ads, in movies, you name it. I don't want to like this song, being that it's U2, but I can't find a whole lot to criticize here. It's still a darn good song, in spite of its (and the band's) overexposure.
4. "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]
Pass.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]
Hardly the strongest bracket-topper this week. I can count sixteen other songs this week that I would place above this one. Roy gets the nod simply by virtue of being in the right place at the right time. If only Dr. John could be so lucky.
For the love of God, will someone please just tell me what it is? I don't care how many fish you kill in your video, just tell me what it is!
3. "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006]
I finally picked up a copy of "Alright, Still" a couple of months ago, expecting to be sorely disappointed since it was, in my mind, just silly pop music. Obviously, it's got a lot more depth to it than anything from Britney or Christina. Still, "Smile" isn't one of my favorite tracks. It's a good song, to be sure, and Allen's lyrics are slyly subversive. But give me "LDN" over this one any day.
4. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]
Perhaps in country and bluegrass circles, this song is considered quite good, but I'm not an aficionado of those genres. To me, this music just represents a lot of things that I do not like.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]
My freshman year of college, I was listening to this song, and my roommate (who had never heard the song before) said, "It sounds like he's having an orgasm." I said, "That's the point."
2. "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]
She walked up to me and she asked me to dance/I asked her name and in a dark brown voice, she said/"Leela!"/L-E-E-L-A, Leela!/Lee-lee-lee-lee-Leela!/Ba-da-ba-dum-ba-dum-bum!
3. "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]
Inventive British psychedelia beats out subpar Marley any day of the week.
4. "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
If "No Woman, No Cry" isn't good enough to get into the second round (I still say that's the biggest travesty so far in Bracketology...), then this sure isn't.

1. "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]
2. "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]
3. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]
I looked at this bracket for a long, long time, and I had one hell of a time deciding on what order to place these top three songs. "Suspicious Minds" is about the only Elvis song that I can stomach. In spite of the not-so-subtle country twang to it, I not only can stomach it, I actually really like it! "Take the 'A' Train" is one of the greatest compositions ever, regardless of genre. It's easily Billy Strayhorn's finest moment. "Addicted to Love" is maybe the definitive '80s blue-collar-rock song. Though the album version is maybe a tad long at 6 minutes plus, I can't find any faults with it.
Mathematics tells us that these three songs can be placed in six different orders. On any other day, depending on my mood and how the wind is blowing, these songs might be in one of the other five sequences. They are that close for me. Stacked, stacked bracket.
4. "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]
I have nothing against the Dolls; this is just a case of SHTB4. Like I said before, stacked bracket. That said, I'm sure it won't be #4 for a certain Mr. Wexler...

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "The Weight" - The Band [1968]
Quite possibly the greatest country-rock song ever. The Band never made a finer song. Kinda bugs me that so many people refer to this song as "Take a Load Off, Mary," but what are you gonna do?
2. "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
The "What's Going On" album really gets under my skin. There are three songs on there (the title track, "Mercy Mercy Me," and this one) that are flat-out masterpieces. The rest of the album feels like filler, and the whole thing almost comes a crashing stop with "Save the Children." So while I have no problem rating the three aforementioned songs very highly (and they deserve all the praise that critics give them), I cannot seem to understand the praise that the album gets. The only thing I can chalk it up to is the fact that this was Motown's first real attempt to do anything socially conscious.
But I digress. The first time I ever heard this song was (embarrassingly) Grover Washington, Jr.'s instrumental version of it. Washington does a masterful job of converting it into soul-jazz, but the original is out of sight. If it weren't for the album's title track, this would be the best song off "What's Going On."
One of the all-time greats of disco/funk, but like most of the rest of Chic's work, it's never done much for me. It goes here simply because it's not on the level of "The Weight" or "Inner City Blues," and it's head and shoulders above...
Ever noticed that in the chorus for this song, it sounds like Snoop is asking a question? "Drop it like it's hot? Drop it like it's hot?" This is about the time that I really started to dislike the Neptunes and their minimalist approach to music production. Terrible song. Terrible, terrible song.

1. "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]
I knew Prince for his uptempo songs ("1999," "Little Red Corvette," "Kiss," "Let's Go Crazy," and "Gett Off," to name but a few), so when I finally heard this song, I was just knocked on my ass by how amazing this slow-burner is. As I've said before, good songs can't last long enough, and that certainly is true of this one. I could listen to at least a couple more minutes of Prince's guitar work in the extended coda.
2. "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982]
Sure, they might have had multiple hits elsewhere, but in the U.S., this might as well be the only DMR song. And if a band is going to be known for one song, you couldn't do much better than this one. I think I know every word, and every time it comes on, I'm singing along. Still, the title always makes my sophomoric mind laugh.
3. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]
I am convinced that there is a law somewhere that all oldies stations MUST play this song at least twice a day (ditto for "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Yesterday"). I used to really like this song, but radio overplay has effectively killed it for me. I'll admit that it's a good song, but that doesn't mean I like it.
4. "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard [1968]
I don't like country. I don't like Merle Haggard ("Okie from Muskogee" is a chore to listen to). So why the hell do I kinda like this song? I don't like it enough to put it above the Mamas and the Papas, but when this one comes on, I don't immediately press fast-forward.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]
It kills me to put one of Prince's greatest (and most iconic) in second place, but "Maybe I'm Amazed" is one of my all-time favorite songs. It's the only reason why I ended up buying the otherwise worthless "McCartney" album. I'll be the first to admit that my musical tastes tend toward the softer side of rock, but I can't imagine someone not recognizing the sheer beauty of this ballad. Love it, love it, love it.
2. "1999" - Prince [1982]
Did we ever get an answer to the question of why everybody has a bomb?
3. "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]
Blur's first massive hit, and the song that propelled "Parklife" into the stratosphere, but it's always struck me as corny. Can't say I'm a fan.
My mom has been a big ABBA fan for as long as I can remember, and one of my first memories of popular music is a cassette she owned of ABBA's greatest hits. At that time in my life, I liked the music simply because my mom did. I can't listen to it now though; it's just a terrible song.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]
3. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]
4. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]

1. "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
2. "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]
3. "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]
4. "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]
3. "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]
4. "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]
2. "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
3. "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]
4. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]

1. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]
2. "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]
3. "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]
4. "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]

Those first 5 brackets are all the same to me: one clear number one, and then the rest.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "The Weight" - The Band [1968]

Finally something close. But I gotta go with The Band over Marvin.

1. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]
2. "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]
3. "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982]

California Dreamin' in one of my favorite songs ever. Perfect vocal harmonies.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]
2. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]
3. "1999" - Prince [1982]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3

I like all this bracket, but Epic is one of my very favourite 80s track, especially the synth line, sounds like nothing else.

Sometimes, the funniest song takes it all.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7

I stick with AM order, even though it is hard to decide between Prince and Blur on this one.

Good to have the tournament back, Matt!

MOZART 11
1. TIRED OF BEING ALONE. Unfortunately, we’re returning with a fairly meh group here, and the sweet sweet pipes of The Rev. Green are enough to take the prize.
2. DA DOO RON RON. Does anybody else flash on Harold Ramis’ first scene in the movie Stripes? One of the best of the era of scat-titled songs, and a good girl group number, though within that genre, it’s second-tier.
3. WITHOUT ME. And this is second-tier Eminem…not as musically inventive as the stuff on his first album, although it does still make me laugh.
4. SHE DRIVES ME CRAZY. The Case That The 80s Really Were Manufactured And Soulless, Exhibit A.

RACHMANINOFF 4
1. COMPLETE CONTROL. The archetypal Clash song, poised midway between the ferocity of 1977 and the accomplished confidence of 1979. Mick Jones’ echoed backing vocals here are the seeds of Bono’s entire career.
2. YESTERDAY. A beautiful song, it was revolutionary primarily in its context: nobody in 1965 expected the Beatles, of all people, to embrace art song. “Yesterday” established that the range for rock music could be much vaster than anyone this side of John Cale had anticipated.
3. THE DARK END OF THE STREET. Dark, oddball and gloriously unwilling to get with the program of mainstream 60’s soul. Could have placed higher in a less stacked group.
4. BEAUTIFUL DAY. It’s impossible for me to listen to this song without imagining slow-motion footage of athletes from the Sydney Olympics. I don’t dislike it, but this isn’t anything that U2 hadn’t done often, earlier, and better.

WAGNER 3
1. BLUE MOON OF KENTUCKY. I’m very happy to be able to put Bill Monroe in the #1 slot; although I love Hank Williams, Monroe had a more direct influence on rock ‘n’ roll—and not just because Presley covered this song. If you like country at all, you have to like this.
2. ONLY THE LONELY. Dom, dom, dom, dom-bee-doo-waaaaaah. It’s Roy’s signature song, largely because its lyrics virtually constitute his mission statement: “Only the lonely know the way I feel tonight.” Wonderful as it is, it’s a notch below “Crying” and “Pretty Woman.”
3. SMILE. Proof that you can get away with singing anything over a funky reggae best, I s’pose. Fun enough.
4. EPIC. I actually liked Faith No More more (?) before they tried getting melodic with this song. It’s caught somewhere between the band’s hardcore/industrial roots and a blatant attempt to sound something like hair metal. Unfortunately, the fusion doesn’t work.

VERDI 8.
1. LOLA. This was definitely my introduction to the Kinks, and may have been my introduction to the surreal in rock lyrics. So I admit it: I know this isn’t a terribly groundbreaking song, and this vote is largely based on nostalgia. Besides, what was I gonna do, put Zeppelin in first place? (I’ll do that when Moonbeam admits he likes a Beatles song.)
2. WHOLE LOTTA LOVE. My feeling about this song has gotten more complex. In the first edition of bracketology, I found it, well, disgusting. I still think so, but I have to acknowledge that, musically, it’s a really interesting kind of disgusting. Robert Plant is still an embarrassment.
3. FRIDAY ON MY MIND. Psychedelic bubblegum? Whee!
4. STIR IT UP. The title sounds like it should be one of those old leering, bawdy 50s numbers by Big Joe Turner or Little Richard, and sure enough, Bob makes with the double entendres. It’s interesting that this is in the same bracket as Led Zeppelin’s own most famous bit of raunch, but, although Marley’s more lyrically clever, he’s frankly less convincing on a below-the-gut level.

BEETHOVEN 8
1. TAKE THE ‘A’ TRAIN. I’ve intermittently been one of the forum’s strongest advocates for Duke Ellington, and I’m happy to put him on top here. Swing music has suffered the unfortunate fate of being disliked by both jazz buffs and rock fans, but I think it’s fun, and this is the genre’s musical pinnacle (even if the most famous swing song remains “In the Mood”).
2. PERSONALITY CRISIS. This one’s for Mr. Wexler. Viva Dolls, one of the 70s’ most remarkable one-offs—and this song tells you everything you need to know about ‘em.
3. SUSPICIOUS MINDS. It gets a little more than its due, since it came out at a point when Elvis had been steadily lowering expectations for 13 years, so that all he needed to do was release a halfway-decent song to recoup some of his lost mojo. But it is at least good.
4. ADDICTED TO LOVE. The Case That The 80s Really Were Manufactured And Soulless, Exhibit B.

MOZART 7
1. LE FREAK. Even more than “Good Times,” I always think of this as the quintessential Chic song…weird, hollered lyrics (that sound like the singers are perfectly sane people reading off cue cards) over a killer bass line.
2. THE WEIGHT. Impossible for me to either love or hate. What Dylan took from rock in 1965, he redeemed by inspiring his backup band, the Hawks, to turn into a folksy collective that spent the late 60s noodling around in the studio (well, barn). Although I appreciate the seeming effortlessness of this song, I can’t help but feel that Bob got the better end of the deal.
3. DROP IT LIKE IT’S HOT. I am frequently astonished by how popular this song is among women born between about 1975 and 1980. I’m not sure why, but it shows sound judgment—I haven’t heard anything else by Snoop this good.
4. INNER CITY BLUES. Meandering and insufficiently tight, this is a good summation of why I find What’s Going On overrated.

BEETHOVEN 12
1. CALIFORNIA DREAMIN’. How good is this? It can actually make me forget, for three minutes, the reason they were in the news last year (I’ll save a closer look for next round).
2. MAMA TRIED. Would have been nice to have both Monroe and Haggard in top slots this week…but I’ll leave that to Paul.
3. PURPLE RAIN. Huh…two Prince songs about The Bomb in consecutive brackets. This is a dandy anthemic closer to his best album, only slightly marred for me by Estelle Getty’s rendition of it.
4. COME ON EILEEN. The Case That The 80s Really Were Manufactured And Soulless, Exhibit C. The prosecution rests.

MAHLER 7. In which two slices of cheese inspired by 70s music (funk and disco) beat two dairy products from the decade itself.
1. 1999. The intro to this song is one of the greatest things Prince ever did. I suspect it’s meant to sound like a bomb going off, followed by synth and drums slowly collecting themselves before launching an irresistibly propulsive groove.
2. GIRLS & BOYS. Smart-ass art-punks channel Giorgio Moroder. This was the first I’d heard of Blur, and what’s telling is that even though it’s so clearly a bit of fluffy radio-friendly, it carried a strong hint that there was a lot more to them. And there was.
3. MAYBE I’M AMAZED. The finest accomplishment of Paul’s solo career, and it’s probably not a coincidence that he wrote it before the Beatles officially broke up.
4. WATERLOO. In the US at least, you can tell aging hipsters from aging non-hipsters depending on whether they’ve “rediscovered” ABBA or are still pretending not to like them. Withal, this is a perfectly functional entry from them which is still #4 in a strong group.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
#675: "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]
I love it how these rappers who give themselves an image of hostility always have these ridiculous scouls on their faces in photographs. Like the picture they have for him on Lala. All it needs is a sideways-held gun. This song is actually pretty good, only it has more of his annoying self-victimization and ironic buying into of his own hype. I'd probably like Eminem a lot more if he'd just exhibit his obvious talent without all the unnecessary posing.
#163: "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals [1963]
I like this sort of well-produced 60's girl-pop.
#350: "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]
Good song.
#867: "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]
Ugh. Just ugh. Everything I hate about 80's synth-rock. Falsetto voices, focus on annoying clingy hooks.

#393: "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]
Pretty typical early Clash song.
#120: "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
What can you say? One of the Beatles' best pop-oriented songs.
#905: "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]
I have the same feelings toward this as most Joshua-Tree-and-after U2 songs. Good guitar effects, Bono's voice is annoying, a little overproduced and glossy. (I was telling my father earlier how I wish U2'd do a stripped down album like Springsteen's Nebraska.)
#632: "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]
Good soul song but doesn't stand out much.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
I didn't think this could possibly be better than Elvis' cover, but this is awesome.
One of my favorite songs when I was a teenager. It still sounds pretty good but the vocals grate a little now. Plus it plays a bit more to my teeange worldview than my current one.
Good pop song. Overrated, but not that overrated.
I have respect for Roy Orbison as a performer, but I found most of his songs dull.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
#588: "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]
This song is what bands like Franz Ferdinand are trying to be.
#437: "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]
My first exposure to this song was the Weird Al parody 'Yoda'. For some reason I didn't get that Lola was a man until years after I heard the song. I originally thought she was just a very manly, domineering woman who made the guy feel emasculated.
#949: "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
#76: "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]
Pretty much everything on the first six Zeppelin albums is awesome, but the stuff from II is awesome to a lesser extent.

#577: "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]
I'm not a New York Dolls fan but in this weak bracket it's the easy winner.
#448: "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]
#65: "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]
At what point in Elvis' career did he get so overproduced? His early stuff was so much better and so much more energetic.
#960: "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]
Ugh. Way too many cheesy 80s-isms.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
#835: "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
Awesome.
#190: "The Weight" - The Band [1968]
This is a good song, but I think it's overrated in Band canon because of the great delivery of that 'Put the load right on me' line.
#323: "Le Freak" - Chic [1978]
Great funk. I have Risque but I may need C'est Chic now.
#702: "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004]
The few parts of the songs that sound cool don't excuse the annoying loopy parts and gangster crap.

Good power pop. Exciting and fun. The transition between the verse and the chorus seems a bit of an abrupt pace change. I might need to get this album now.
I've heard this song a lot before but didn't know who it was. Great song.
Title track from the album with the highest soundtrack quality to movie quality ratio of all time. Prince's performery screams probably look better on stage than they sound in a recording.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
Happy birthday Moonbeam.
Not a bad song.
Pretty good catchy dance pop.
When Paul didn't have John to make his pop songs sound human and emotional, all that was left was the pop. All his solo songs and some of his late Beatles songs sound sort of detached and indifferent.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1 - "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]
2 - "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]
3 - "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals [1963]
4 - "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]
Haha - most people can't stand 'She Drives Me Crazy' - give me a bit of FYC any day over the other stuff here...

1 - "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]
2 - "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]
3 - "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
4 - "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1 - "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]
2 - "Epic" - Faith No More [1989]
3 - "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]
4 - "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006]
'Smile' in the top 1000? Really?

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1 - "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]
2 - "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]
3 - "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]
4 - "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]

1 - "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]
2 - "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]
3 - "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]
4 - "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1 - "The Weight" - The Band [1968]
2 - "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]
3 - "Le Freak" - Chic [1978]
4 - "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004]

1 - "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]
2 - "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]
3 - "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982]
4 - "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard [1968]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1 - "1999" - Prince [1982]
2 - "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]
3 - "Waterloo" - ABBA [1974]
4 - "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971] - From the opening lines, it just picks you up and carries you to the world of Al Green, which is a lovely place to be considering how great his voice is. It sounds like a slow jam and he sings it like one but really the tempo moves along at a pretty good pace which gives it some energy.
2. "Without Me" - Eminem [2002] - I considered putting this #1; one of the things a rapper has to do is create catchy rhymes (in place of a true "melody" in the verse) and Em does that masterfully in this song.
3. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989] - Catchy but insubstantial.
4. "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals [1963] - I don't really get the acclaim for this one.

1. "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965] - It may be overplayed, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a legendary pop song and the mold that all ballads after it are cast in.
2. "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977] - A good Clash song is probably never going to be lower than second in my eyes, and this one is great.
3. "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000] - The best post-Achtung Baby moment from U2, a joyous anthem from a band who were excellent at writing them.
4. "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967] - I wasn't terribly impressed, but it sounds perfect for Prince to cover.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960] - Roy takes this bracket no problem, on the strength of the chorus alone.
2. "Epic" - Faith No More [1989] - A metal song that was quirky and offbeat when most were glammed-out and hairy. Good stuff.
3. "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006] - I really don't like her voice, and her disaffected attitude just sort of bothers me in a bad way somehow.
4. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946] - The kind of country I don't quite care for (not that today's pandering overproduced pop strains of the genre are better).

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Lola" - The Kinks [1970] - Simultaneously extremely catchy and cleverly deviant, with the latter enhancing the former. One of the best-written rock songs ever.
2. "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973] - One of the first Bob Marley songs I ever heard, it has such an easy groove and slinky rhythm that you can't help but love it.
3. "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967] - First time hearing it - and man, what a brilliant pop song. Can't believe I missed it.
4. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969] - I feel absolutely horrible about putting this at #4, but this is a really strong bracket and I don't care much for Robert Plant's moaning.

1. "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941] - I'm listening to Duke play the piano on this song right now, and it is simply mesmerizing, out-of-this-world stuff.
2. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969] - Overrated, comeback Elvis was nowhere near the real thing.
3. "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973] - Loud, and fast, but not necessarily good.
4. "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985] - Ack.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971] - Arguably the best song off the album, it powerfully and succinctly addresses one of the more understated problems of the early-1970's - urban decay.
2. "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004] - I'll be damned if anyone can make a better song consisting of just tongue-clicks.
3. "The Weight" - The Band [1968] - I know a very few songs by the band, this one being the chief among them. I don't know that they'll ever repeat this one.
4. "Le Freak" - Chic [1978] - Give me "Good Times" over this any day.

1. "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984] - There are very few songs that are going to top Prince here. It will be very painful to have to get rid of this in forthcoming rounds.
2. "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982] - Whimsical and plain old fun, as well as effective.
3. "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard [1968] - Now this is more of what I like in a country song.
4. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966] - Don't care for this one.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994] - The tune that got me into Blur, and a very infectious pop tune/social commentary.
2. "1999" - Prince [1982] - Hasn't aged terribly well (I guess that was bound to happen) but seriously catchy.
3. "Waterloo" - ABBA [1974] - The best song in Eurovision Song Contest history lands at a solid #3.
4. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970] - Good song but, boy, is it fluffy.

Fantastic to have this back, Matt.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals [1963]: One of the records that defined the Wall of Sound, a breathless rush led by Hal Blaine’s astonishing tidal-wave drumming.
2. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]: Green’s first really big hit, and one of his best.
3. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989]: I like its follow-up (“Good Thing”) even more, but this is one of those late ‘80s #1’s for which I still have a great deal of affection.
4. "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]: The lead single from his third album isn’t nearly as brilliant as any of the ones from his first two.

1. "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]: It’s the most-played song of all time for a reason. The essence of McCartney: simple, a little schmaltzy, but effortlessly melodic and timeless.
2. "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]: A definitive punk record based in a pretty petty incident (being pissed off at their record label); forget about the words and just lose yourself in the galvanizing, even-tighter-than-the-debut-album music (produced by Lee “Scratch” Perry, of all people).
3. "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]: The ultimate cheating song, and a milestone of Sixties soul (by one of its most tragic figures).
4. "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000]: A fine record, but an easy #4 for me here.

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Epic" - Faith No More [1989]: Been waiting for this one to show up. I vividly remember hearing it for the first time on the radio and thinking, “WTF is this?” By the time the piano coda rolled around I still didn’t know WTF it was but I knew I wanted to hear it again, right now, and then again after that. It’s one of my favorite records of all time, and still one of the most weird-ass things to ever hit the U.S. top ten.
2. "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]: The smash that set the template for the Big O’s unstoppable string of staggeringly sung psychodramas.
3. "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006]: Deceptively light and gleefully nasty, this was the perfect introduction to Allen’s effervescent and disarmingly honest pop.
4. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]: A fine bluegrass classic, but I’m so familiar with Elvis’s brilliantly jacked-up Sun take that the original can’t help but suffer by comparison.

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]: Speaking of weird-ass top ten hits… Only Ray Davies, probably, could get back on the radio (after a few years of crafting shimmering masterpieces) with an instant-classic stupid-smart singalong about a naïf seduced by a tranny. Bonus: the gong that suddenly starts bashing away during the coda.
2. "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]: In a lot of brackets this one would probably be #1. I came to this one a lot later than I did to #’s 1 and 3, but now I can’t get enough of it. Absolutely brilliant Australian garage-pop; I imagine a lot of people on this forum already know that co-auteur George Young is the older brother of AC/DC’s Angus and Malcolm.
3. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]: SH2B3. Bonham’s drum explosion leading into one of Page’s most succinct solos after the orgasmic breakdown is still as electrifying as ever.
4. "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]: Early Marley is my favorite Marley, but this bracket’s too packed.

1. "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]: Well, everyone expected me to have this at #1, and who am I to disappoint? Truth to tell, it’s probably only my seventh-favorite track on the debut, and I may actually like #2 more – but it’s the only Dolls song in this competition (or on AM at all), and the spirits of Johnny and Arthur and Jerry would haunt me for eternity if I didn’t put it on top. (For the record, “Frankenstein” may be my favorite recording of all time.)
2. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969]: It was his first #1 hit in the U.S. in seven years, and the best thing he’d recorded for far longer than that. A perfect Memphis soul-pop record, even if the fade-out (complete with false ending) goes on a bit longer than it has to.
3. "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]: One of the jazz standards that everyone can probably instantly recognize. Sorry it has to be #3.
4. "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]: The man was a gifted vocalist, but his biggest hit doesn’t hold up well (nor does that legendary video, although it certainly had an impact on certain 16-year olds).

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "The Weight" - The Band [1968]: The remarkable centerpiece of a remarkable debut – spare (especially without the organ flourishes Garth Hudson would add to later live versions), stately, and beautiful.
2. "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye [1971]: The finale and best track on an album that I’ve always – and apparently I’m not alone – found easier to admire than to love.
3. "Le Freak" - Chic [1978]: Disco at its sleekest, and close to its best.
4. "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004]: Great Neptunes production, but it wears out its welcome pretty quickly.

1. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]: Another longtime personal favorite. Some of the finest harmony vocals ever recorded; when I sing along, I’m usually doing the backing vocals rather than the lead because they’re more fun.
2. "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]: The gap between #1 and the rest is significantly wider here than in any other bracket this week. The epic title song of Prince’s iconic soundtrack album is suitably grand, but an easy #2.
3. "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard [1968]: A near-perfect little cautionary country miniature. We don’t learn what Hag did to warrant that life sentence, but it doesn’t matter – all that’s important is that he didn’t heed his Mama’s warnings.
4. "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982]: It’s not as bad as the people who only know this band as a one-U.S.-hit wonder think it is (ONION headline from a few years back: “Mugger Chooses Man Whistling ‘Come On Eileen’”), but it isn’t great, either.

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "1999" - Prince [1982]: This one’s for you, Moonbeam.
2. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]: One of his best songs, with clearly heartfelt lyrics matched by those great ascending piano runs and a fine example of his patented aw-shucks-is-THAT-how-you-play-this-thing? guitar solos. Avoid the overly slick live version that became a hit single later.
3. "Waterloo" - ABBA [1974]: The one Eurovision Song Contest winner that has endured, and a great introduction to a distinctive group.
4. "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]: When this was an alt-rock radio hit and the only Blur song I knew, I found it highly irritating. It makes immeasurably more sense in the context of PARKLIFE and the band’s entire career arc, but I still don’t really like it that much.

Midaso
Haha - most people can't stand 'She Drives Me Crazy' - give me a bit of FYC any day over the other stuff here...

Finally! Someone else!

First of all- hooray for the return of Bracketology!

1. Al Green- "Tired of Being Alone": Tender and gorgeous soul- it makes me very happy to have this game back and running.
2. Fine Young Cannibals- "She Drives Me Crazy": I'm partial to "Good Thing", but I quite like this too- takes me right back to 1989, when I was first getting into music.
3. Eminem- "Without Me": I used to kinda like some of his singles, including this one. I've grown past it now, though seeing a huge former TV crush (Julie from Real World New Orleans) in the video was a pleasant surprise.
4. The Crystals- "Da Do Ron Ron": I don't have much good to say about this.

1. The Clash- "Complete Control": It's impossible for me not to want to dance around to this.
2. U2- "Beautiful Day": U2 returned to being "normal" with this song and album. I kinda liked their quirky 90s stuff, but this is decent enough. They haven't done much in the 00s to really inspire me outside of "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own", though.
3. James Carr- "The Dark End of the Street": I'm a faithful guy, so I can't relate to the sentiment of it, but it is well performed.
4. The Beatles- "Yesterday": No thank you.

1. Faith No More- "Epic": One of the few successful marriages of rock and rap, in my opinion, with the raw, quirky energy and high drama of rock meeting with the element of danger of rap. A total classic.
2. Lily Allen- "Smile": A very, very distant second. I can't stand her personality. At all. This song is a decent pop song, but egad do I hope her retirement threats are legitimate.
3. Roy Orbison- "Only the Lonely": Can't say I'm a Roy Orbison fan.
4. Bill Monroe- "Blue Moon of Kentucky": Predictably 4th for me. Just not for me.

1. The Kinks- "Lola": I really should check out The Kinks.
2. Led Zeppelin- "Whole Lotta Love": One of their funkier endeavors, which means I like it more than most LZ songs.
3. Bob Marley and the Wailers- "Stir It Up": I can't stand most Bob Marley songs, but I find this less obnoxious than most of his output.
4. The Easybeats- "Friday on My Mind": The vocals are what elevate this song above being the average run-of-the-mill 60s cut. There isn't much separating these four.

1. New York Dolls- "Personality Crisis": Having become familiar with their debut over the past few months, I think that these guys are somehow still overlooked as far as glam acts are concerned. I still tend to prefer the Roxy/Bowie side of glam, but this is top notch for the sleazier side.
2. Duke Ellington- "Take the A Train": It's very hard to compare this with the others. I like it a whole bunch, so I suppose it goes here. Plus, Duke shares my birthday.
3. Robert Palmer- "Addicted to Love": It's all about the chicks in the video. I liked this a lot about 10-15 years ago. It's still memorable and worthy of acclaim, but I'm not as mesmerized by it as I once was.
4. Elvis Presley- "Suspicious Minds": One of my favorite Elvis tracks unfortunately has to take a back seat in a strong bracket.

1. Chic- "Le Freak": I contend that this is better than "Good Times", but not as good as their best song "I Want Your Love". Still, that groove is KILLER. I just love everything about this, from the sassy chicks to the disco extravagance.
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg- "Drop It Like It's Hot": Snooooooooop! *Tsok* *Tsok* *Tsook* *Tsok*
3. Marvin Gaye- "Inner City Blues": I should probably be punished for placing this below "Drop It Like It's Hot", especially considering the fact that it's one of my favorites (if not my favorite) from What's Going On.
4. The Band- "The Weight": A dead weight in this bracket.

1. Prince- "Purple Rain": Elegaic, stately and grandiose, it's a perfect closer for Prince's "lightning in a bottle" album. While it's far from my favorite song (and Purple Rain is far from my favorite album), this song represents Prince at the peak of his, well, royalty. How can I not anoint it #1?
2. Dexy's Midnight Runners- "Come on Eileen": A genuine and enduring classic of the 80s.
3. The Mamas and the Papas- "California Dreamin'": I can't stand this song, but I can't put it last.
4. Merle Haggard- "Mama Tried": I always was interested in what the freaky song from "The Strangers" was! Its presence in the movie makes for a powerful, tense, terrifying atmosphere, but I wouldn't have given this song any chance outside of that context, so it has to be 4th.

1. Prince- "1999": I think this song is going to get through this round, so I'll save my major comments for the next round (and hopefully get them in earlier, when I'm not revealing poll results!), but needless to say, without this song, I would not be posting here today. It marked the beginning of this magical journey into sound that has had a huge impact in my life- not only for entertaining, comforting and enlightening me, but for indirectly (or directly?) leading me to my wife and many other friends I value so much.
2. ABBA- "Waterloo": This song is just a blast. I'm not a huge ABBA fan, which is rather surprising considering the balance of my taste, but I can't deny its catchiness. Another song bolstered by a movie, "Waterloo" really takes off in Muriel's Wedding. This time, the song works outside of that realm as well, earning it a number 2 spot.
3. Blur- "Girls and Boys": This is a heck of a lot of fun, but I feel like I just am not very privy to the whole Britpop thing.
4. Paul McCartney- "Maybe I'm Amazed": At first, I feared that this song would be the original version of that horrific Lonestar pap from around 2000, and thankfully it is not. It's a lot better than I thought it would be, especially considering it comes from a persona non grata in the form of an Ex Beatle. Nevertheless, that's about the biggest praise I could heap upon it, and it stands no chance against 3 songs I really quite like.

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals [1989] I have always loved this song. The meowing voice of singer is usually good thing and especially in this song.
3. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green [1971]
4. "Without Me" - Eminem [2002]

1. "Beautiful Day" - U2 [2000] Very good mainstream pop/rock-song. Actually the song is better than almost anything U2 have done after 80's.
2. "Yesterday" - The Beatles [1965]
3. "Complete Control" - The Clash [1977]
4. "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr [1967]

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Epic" - Faith No More [1989] I prefer later FNM material (especially King for a Day -album). The rap parts doesn't sound good at all (and reminds me those awful nu metal bands). Still it's song by Faith No More and deserves to be #1 in this group.
2. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys [1946]
3. "Smile" - Lily Allen [2006] The biggest hit of Lily Allen isn't my favorite of her songs.
4. "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison [1960]

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats [1967]
2. "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers [1973]
3. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin [1969]
4. "Lola" - The Kinks [1970]

1. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley [1969] I started to make my top 500 songs list and the first part was that I listed 500 artists that have made at least one magnificent song. Some how Elvis wasn't in that group but he should have been.
2. "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra [1941]
3. "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls [1973]
4. "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer [1985]

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) [2004]
3. "The Weight" - The Band [1968]
4. "Le Freak" - Chic [1978]

1. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas [1966]
2. "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners [1982] I listened to a karaoke version of this semi forgotten ”classic”. The version was good enough to beat Purple Rain (at least today).
3, "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution [1984]

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "1999" - Prince [1982]
2. "Girls & Boys" - Blur [1994]
3. "Waterloo" - ABBA [1974]
4. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney [1970]

Voting for the week 23 brackets is now over. I'll have the results posted as soon as I can.

Matt Schroeder
Voting for the week 23 brackets is now over. I'll have the results posted as soon as I can.

Any chance of seeing last week's results before this week's poll is over? Just curious.

RESULTS

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 11
1. "Tired of Being Alone" - Al Green (31 points, 4 first-place votes)
2. "Da Doo Ron Ron" - The Crystals (30, 2)
3. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals (25, 3)
4. "Without Me" - Eminem (24, 2)

In the next round: Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill"; Suicide's "Frankie Teardrop"

1. "Yesterday" - The Beatles (34, 4)
2. "Complete Control" - The Clash (31, 4)
3. "Beautiful Day" - U2 (25, 2)
4. "The Dark End of the Street" - James Carr (20, 1)

In the next round: Prince & the Revolution's "Kiss"; Arcade Fire's "Rebellion (Lies)"

WAGNER BLOC, BRACKET 3
1. "Epic" - Faith No More (38, 4)
2. "Only the Lonely" - Roy Orbison (35, 5)
3. "Blue Moon of Kentucky" - Bill Monroe & His Bluegrass Boys (26, 3)
4. "Smile" - Lily Allen (21, 0)

In the next round: Blue Öyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) The Reaper"; Miles Davis' "So What"

VERDI BLOC, BRACKET 8
1. "Lola" - The Kinks (36, 7)
2. "Friday on My Mind" - The Easybeats (27, 2)
3. "Stir It Up" - Bob Marley & the Wailers (24, 1)
4. "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin (23, 1)

In the next round: TBA

1. "Take the 'A' Train" - Duke Ellington & His Orchestra (32, 4)
2. "Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley (32, 4)
3. "Personality Crisis" - New York Dolls (29, 3)
4. "Addicted to Love" - Robert Palmer (17, 0)

NOTE: After taking out un-commented ballots, the final score is Ellington 31, Presley 28. Duke advances.

In the next round: Roy Orbison's "Crying"; Steely Dan's "Reelin' in the Years"

MOZART BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "The Weight" - The Band (34, 5)
2. "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" - Marvin Gaye (33, 3)
3. "Le Freak" - Chic (23, 2)
4. "Drop It Like It's Hot" - Snoop Dogg (Featuring Pharrell) (20, 1)

In the next round: Ben E. King's "Stand by Me"

1. "Purple Rain" - Prince & the Revolution (36, 5)
2. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and the Papas (35, 5)
3. "Come On Eileen" - Dexys Midnight Runners (31, 2)
4. "Mama Tried" - Merle Haggard (18, 0)

In the next round: the Velvet Underground's "Pale Blue Eyes"

MAHLER BLOC, BRACKET 7
1. "1999" - Prince (43, 8)
2. "Girls & Boys" - Blur (32, 3)
3. "Maybe I'm Amazed" - Paul McCartney (32, 1)
4. "Waterloo" - ABBA (22, 0)

In the next round: the Kinks' "Waterloo Sunset"; the Left Banke's "Walk Away Renee"

Go ahead and celebrate, Moonbeam. Both Prince songs advanced.

Matt Schroeder
Go ahead and celebrate, Moonbeam. Both Prince songs advanced.

Yes!!! And this may be the only week where I've actually sent over half of my top choices through to the next round! I'm just bummed I missed out on voting last week.

I didn't get to vote in this one, but I like the results. "Lola" crushes an overrated "Whole Lotta Love" (who decided this was one of Zeppelin's best songs?) and "Purple Rain" and "Take the A Train" pull pretty big upsets. I thought "Suspicious Minds" would take that bracket easily.