Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
5 for 2 Week 3 (Loutish Lads League)

Welcome to Week three, where it's Oasis vs. Blur.
Week 1: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3172289350&frmid=10&msgid=1027102&cmd=show
Week 2: http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3172289350&frmid=10&msgid=1028419&cmd=show

1. Innervisions - 65 points (16 out of 16 votes)
2. Songs in the Key of Life - 55 (16)
3. Thriller - 42 (14)
4. Talking Book - 32 (13)
5. Off the Wall - 26 (13)

Re: 5 for 2 Week 3 (Loutish Lads League)

1. (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
2. Blur
3. Definitely Maybe
4. Parklife
5. Think Tank

1. (What's the Story) Morning Glory
2. Definitely Maybe
3. Parklife
4. Think Tank
5. Blur

1. Blur - Parklife
2. Blur - Think Tank
3. Blur - Blur
4. Blur - 13
5. Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish

Suck it Oasis.

A cheap ploy for my participation (and perhaps schleuse's too)? Well, you got me.

1. WHAT'S THE STORY
2. DEFINITELY MAYBE
3. BE HERE NOW
4. DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
5. DON'T BELIEVE THE TRUTH

Suck it, Damon.

Do you really think that? Do you really think Dig Out Your Soul, Dont Believe the Truth, and even Be Here Now are better than every Blur album?

Considering that the two artists make similar music, and the three you listed are concensus terrible, I find it hard to believe.

Yeah, I do.

As much as it may run counter to popular opinion, Oasis happen to be my fourth favorite band of all time. Which means, even the generally considered "worst" of their catalog would still trump those albums that many would consider to be "better" (whatever the hell that means any more). "Be Here Now", while extremely overproduced and bloated, is still a fantastic album to my ears. I frankly could give a shit that critics hate it.

I know it's probably inconceivable to you, but that's the thing about taste, my friend. Nobody's right, nobody's wrong.

I don't know any full albums by either, but Blur is head and shoulders above Oasis, in every way, from what I know.

Here's my two cents. I love both bands, but Blur is the better one. Oasis gets a bad rep because everything after Morning Glory couldn't compare to their earlier stuff. Be Here Now is a really good, underrated album IMO, and while they did produce some solid material after Be Here Now, they didn't make anything extraordinary. Still, Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are better than any album Blur ever put out. And Live Forever is hands down one of the greatest songs ever. No contest.

Blur on the other hand released Leisure which was alright, then Modern Life is Rubbish which was great, and Parklife which was a full out masterpeice. The thing about Blur is that they could do any style of music and kick so much ass doing it. They went from hazy shoegazer (Leisure) to britpop (Modern Life is Rubish, Parklife, Great Escape) to alternative rock/ indie (Blur) to crazy freaky electronica and jam out style (13) to a bunch of experimental rock and even post-rock (Think Tank). Blur could do any genre out there. It's hard to believe that the same band that made "Girls and Boys" also made "song 2" and also made "B.L.U.R.E.M.I.".

That is why Blur is better, they're more consistent, more experimental, and actually have a sense of humor.

SR
Do you really think that? Do you really think Dig Out Your Soul, Dont Believe the Truth, and even Be Here Now are better than every Blur album?

Considering that the two artists make similar music, and the three you listed are concensus terrible, I find it hard to believe.
In all fairness, SR, couldn't the mirror image of that question be asked about your list? I've only heard Parklife and Definitely Maybe, but I must say that I consider DM a 5 star album. I think there's definitely maybe some backlash working against Oasis these days that has nothing to do with their music, but that album has swagger!

1. 13
2. Blur
3. Modern Life Is Rubbish
4. The Great Escape
5. Parklife

a super furry animals vs supergrass clash would be a lot of more fun. fun, natural super fun..

1. Blur - Blur
2. Blur - Parklife
3. Blur - Think Tank
4. Blur - 13
5. Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish

I never love Oasis.

1. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
2. Blur - Parklife
3. Blur - Blur
4. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
5. Blur - 13

1. (What's The Story) Morning Glory?
2. Definitely Maybe
3. 13
4. Park Life
5. Be Here Now

1. Parklife
2. Definitely Maybe
3. What's the story (morning glory)
4. Modern Life is Rubbish
5. Blur

Despite the presence of 2 Oasis in my top 3, I like Blur much more than Oasis. However I must admit that DM and What's the story are a bit stronger than any Blur album except Parklife. But 13 (which I think is Blur weakest album, even though I have not heard Leisure) is still better than any other Oasis album. And Blur's music is much more varied, making their live shows better (and Hyde Park's gig was awesome). During the same summer I have seen Oasis 2 times, the first in Benicassim and you could not here anything because the audience was made only of drunk english teenagers singing loudly (so I left at half of the concert to go see The Walkmen) and the other one was their break-up at Rock en Seine (so I did not really see them, only a big screen annoucing they would not play).
The fact that Blur's members are cool sympathetic guys while Oasis' are assholes might play its part too.

Pulp's probably my favourite of the britpop era,still:
1/Definitely Maybe
2/Parklife
3/Morning Glory
4/Blur
5/Be Here Now

I don't know enough albums do to this one. I saw Blur live in 1995-96 and they were terrific.
But on the other hand, "What's the story" is a great pop album, even if Blur (and especially Albran) were more consistent and passed the test of time in a better way.
So I don't know...

Well, Anthony, if it’s a cheap ploy, it’s an effective one. Here you go:

1. Blur
2. Parklife
3. 13
4. Modern Life Is Rubbish
5. Definitely Maybe

In the last month, I’ve been immersed in listening to the Gallagher brothers’ favorite band. From that perspective, one thing that stands out is that the Beatles almost never, ever got complacent. They’re not without faults, but as a group from 1962 to 1967, and as individual artists after that, you can count the times when they audibly stopped trying to push themselves artistically on the fingers of…well, both hands. The tension between their foundation in derivative pop and their progressive stretching of the genre they worked in, is a huge part of what makes them great.

The same characterization applies to Blur’s career. With the exception of about half of The Great Escape, they did not rest on their laurels. As with the Beatles, some of Damon’s experiments have misfired, but their career as a whole is a story of fruitfully pushing the envelope.

Oasis? They made a great first album, and they’ve been remaking it ever since, to—predictably—increasingly diminished artistic returns (rather like James Bond movies). All along, Noel and (to the extent that he’s coherent) Liam have loudly proclaimed that they have nothing to learn. I don’t begrudge them their swagger—it’s rock ‘n’ roll, after all—but if they have nothing to learn, then there’s no reason to listen to anything after their first album. If you’re going to stick to formula, fellas, you better be the Ramones. And you ain’t the Ramones.

1. Parklife
2. (What's the Story) Morning Glory
3. Think Tank
4. Definitely Maybe
5. Blur

Two bands I find kind of overrated.

Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Blur - Parklife
Blur - Blur

That's actually all I've heard. Do I need a 5th vote to count?

1. (What's the Story) Morning Glory
2. Parklife
3. Modern Life Is Rubbish
4. Blur
5. Think Tank

I love them both, but Blur is a bit better - they have more than one good album, so while "WTSMG" might be the best album by the two bands, Blur has way more consistency.

Anthony
A cheap ploy for my participation (and perhaps schleuse's too)? Well, you got me.

1. WHAT'S THE STORY
2. DEFINITELY MAYBE
3. BE HERE NOW
4. DIG OUT YOUR SOUL
5. DON'T BELIEVE THE TRUTH

Suck it, Damon.

No cheap ploy, but I did figure this matchup would light up the phone lines. schleuse was already on board with Stevie vs. Michael.

BillAdama
Two bands I find kind of overrated.

Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Blur - Parklife
Blur - Blur

That's actually all I've heard. Do I need a 5th vote to count?

Four is fine, but I think they'll be scored 4 points to 1 point.

1. Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
2. Blur - Parklife
3. Blur - Think Tank
4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
5. Oasis - Be Here Now

1. Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
2. Blur - Think Tank
3. Blur - 13
4. Blur - Parklife
5. Oasis - Definitely Maybe

Interesting how almost all Blur's albums are being voted. Love both the bands, but Blur is surely the best!

1) Parklife
2) Definitely Maybe
3) Modern Life Is Rubbish
4) Blur
5) 13

6) (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
7) Think Tank
8) Don't Believe the Truth
9) Dig Out Your Soul
10) Leisure

Don't Believe the Truth and Dig Out Your Soul are far from being shit. Yes, they're not masterpieces, but surely they're quite decent albums.