The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AMF Songs Poll 2009

Welcome to the 2009 AM Songs Poll!

This round starts immediately and will finish on January 31st, at midnight forum time.

And here are the rules for round 1:

1) List your 20 favourite songs of the year 2009 (not in any specific order).
2) All 2009 songs are eligible. They may be released as single in 2009 (and be part of album / EP from any other year), or be part of album / EP released in 2008 (even if it was a single in 2008).
3) E-mail your list to amsongspoll09@googlemail.com. I will reply with a confirmation and let you know if your list is OK.
4) Please just list your songs in the body of the e-mail. No Word or Excel attachments, please. Thanks.
5) In the e-mail, please mention the username that we know you by in the AM forum.

Results of this round will be presented in a separate thread on February 1.

The results of this round will work as follows:

The top 30 songs will make Round 2, including ties. So (for example) if there are 27 songs with at least 5 nominations, and 42 songs with at least 4 nominations, there will be 42 songs in round 2. One exception I'm proposing (let's call this the "Fleet Foxes" rule) - a maximum of 5 songs for any artist will advance to round 2.

In round 2, the qualified songs will be voted on. Each voter has 100 points to assign to a maximum of 10 songs, with each song receiving between 5 and 30 points. The song with the most points is the winner!

While the nomination round is still going, you can post your recommendations here.

Have fun!

Re: AMF Songs Poll 2009

It's getting crowded with all these polls going on at the same time. It's a daytime job if you want to participate in all of them!
I know it's totally against of what we decided upon, but does there, for example, exist a posibility to move the deadline of the All-time Songs Poll to the end of february instead of january ? It would give me some breath of air to finish that one (and maybe others as well).

(BTW: I know, I know. I'm a bit guilty in this. I was the one who started nagging about an EOY/EOD poll, although my initial proposal was to do them in december, when there weren't so many polls going on :)

Alex D
2) All 2009 songs are eligible. They may be released as single in 2009 (and be part of album / EP from any other year), or be part of album / EP released in 2008 (even if it was a single in 2008).

That should be "part of an album/EP released in 2009 (even if it was a single in 2008)

I've only received 4 ballots so far - keep 'em coming!

Just under 35 hours left!

Why not mid-February too with this one? Toooo many polls

Sorry Alex but I won't take part in this one
Too many polls, too little time...

OK, I have an idea - I'll push back the deadline another week until February 7th. The second round will still be two weeks long, and will end February 21st. That way, our poll calendar deadlines should look like this:

January 31st (today): 1950-52 poll ends
February 7th: 2009 songs poll round 1 ends
February 15th: All-time songs poll ends
February 21st: 2009 songs poll round 2 ends
February 28th: 1953-55 poll ends

That way all the deadlines are staggered by one week to give people some time to work on them.

Voter turnout has been meh so far - I've received 11 ballots so far.

Alex D
OK, I have an idea - I'll push back the deadline another week until February 7th. The second round will still be two weeks long, and will end February 21st. That way, our poll calendar deadlines should look like this:

January 31st (today): 1950-52 poll ends
February 7th: 2009 songs poll round 1 ends
February 15th: All-time songs poll ends
February 21st: 2009 songs poll round 2 ends
February 28th: 1953-55 poll ends

That way all the deadlines are staggered by one week to give people some time to work on them.

Voter turnout has been meh so far - I've received 11 ballots so far.

Don't forget deadlines of decade polls.
January 31st (today): Favourite albums of 00's
February 28th: Favourite songs of 00's

11 ballots so far doesn't sound good but in 09 album poll many voted in the last day. Still one week more time to vote seems to be the right decision.

Alex D, did you get my list? I ask because I sent i earlier and I haven't received a confirmation email.

Nick: Yes, I got your list.

Everyone else: Given the recent squeeze (and the decade polls, as Petri pointed out) I'm going to lengthen round 2 - from two weeks to a month, so it will end Sunday, March 7th. That should be more than enough time, and I'll give the thread a bump now and then (should it need it) so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

One more day, folks. So far I have votes from the following people:

Stephan
Chris
Moonbeam
Jonah
sonofsamiam
Nassim
Mindrocker
Petri
brose
Michel
Charlie Driggs
Nick
Rocky Raccoon
Greg
Romain

Voting is no closed! I'm going to do the final tally tomorrow and will probably post results on Tuesday.

I never received a confirmation, but hopefully you received my list last night.

Yes, Henry, your list has been tallied.

Before I unveil the results of the songs that went through to the second round, here are some statistics about the first round's nominations:

There were 20 voters. Besides the voters listed above, Henrik, Henry, blazko1994, Honorio and ako voted.

There were 395 nominations (That number may increase slightly as some songs had bad release dates, and I gave those voters the chance to find a date or replace the song. I'm still waiting on a few.)

274 songs were nominated

58 songs (!) qualified for the next round

If I counted right, 173 artists had songs nominated

1 person had all 20 nominated songs advance to the next round

The voters with the least amount of songs going through are Mindrocker and Charlie Driggs, who are tied with 3 apiece

2 artists had 7 songs nominated

The artist with the most overall nominations had 21 nominations

The artist that had the most songs nominated without any advancing was Wilco (I'll Fight, One Wing, Wilco (The Song), and You and I each received 1 nomination)

1 album had almost 2/3rds of its tracks nominated

As far as I know, the next round has songs in at least 2 languages and there are artists from at least 4 continents and 9 countries

Halfway through the first round, the song that has the most nominations wasn't even the most nominated song by that artist. It appeared on each of the last 6 ballots to take first.

I would guesstimate the balance of male/female songs in the next round to be about 55/45, which I think is pretty good.

If you can think of any other wrinkles in the data you'd like to know about the songs that weren't nominated (which will all be posted later in the week in both spreadsheet and individual list form), feel free to ask. The final Round 1 tally will be presented tomorrow.

Alex D
Yes, Henry, your list has been tallied.

Before I unveil the results of the songs that went through to the second round, here are some statistics about the first round's nominations:

There were 20 voters. Besides the voters listed above, Henrik, Henry, blazko1994, Honorio and ako voted.

There were 395 nominations (That number may increase slightly as some songs had bad release dates, and I gave those voters the chance to find a date or replace the song. I'm still waiting on a few.)

274 songs were nominated

If I counted right, 173 artists had songs nominated

1 person had all 20 nominated songs advance to the next round

The voters with the least amount of songs going through are Mindrocker and Charlie Driggs, who are tied with 3 apiece

2 artists had 7 songs nominated

The artist with the most overall nominations had 21 nominations

The artist that had the most songs nominated without any advancing was Wilco (I'll Fight, One Wing, Wilco (The Song), and You and I each received 1 nomination)

1 album had almost 2/3rds of its tracks nominated

As far as I know, the next round has songs in at least 2 languages and there are artists from at least 4 continents and 9 countries

Halfway through the first round, the song that has the most nominations wasn't even the most nominated song by that artist. It appeared on each of the last 6 ballots to take first.

I would guesstimate the balance of male/female songs in the next round to be about 55/45, which I think is pretty good.

If you can think of any other wrinkles in the data you'd like to know about the songs that weren't nominated (which will all be posted later in the week in both spreadsheet and individual list form), feel free to ask. The final Round 1 tally will be presented tomorrow.

I can't wait for the results! Also, I'm amazed (and super excited) that I have more than 3 songs going through to the next round.

Moonbeam
I can't wait for the results! Also, I'm amazed (and super excited) that I have more than 3 songs going through to the next round.

Moonbeam, for better or worse, I think your tastes rub off on the rest of the forum. There were a few songs where I thought, "Well, he'll be the only one voting for that one," and lo and behold, they ended up in the next round.

That said, you've got far and away the most votes for Annie.

Alex D
Moonbeam

Moonbeam, for better or worse, I think your tastes rub off on the rest of the forum. There were a few songs where I thought, "Well, he'll be the only one voting for that one," and lo and behold, they ended up in the next round.

That said, you've got far and away the most votes for Annie.

"The Moonbeam Group" is gathering steam.

blazko1994 is me!

I assume that many of us will have 10 or more of our nominated songs qualified for the next round. As a result, many of us will probably just vote for "their own" songs. This is not a problem per se, but it seems to me that we're losing much of the fun with the two stage voting. I really like that we have 58 songs left in the game though. I just wish that we were to vote for more than 10 songs.

Also, am I right that everyone can participate in the second round of the poll, not just those who nominated songs in round 1?

Alex D

274 songs were nominated

Excuse me but I don't understand. Why only 58 songs on 274 are qualified ?

The top 50 most nominated songs progressed to the next round, but apparently there was a tie somewhere before 50 until 58.

Thanks Stephan.

Oh, actually the cutoff was 30. So there was a tie somewhere before 30 until 58. Quite a big tie, but that happens when you have so many songs to pick from. It's probably 4 picks or even 3.

The spread (or is dispersion the right word) of the votes was huge. Looks like 216 songs got nominated only by one voter. How many songs got more than 2 nominations?
AC was definitely the one with seven nominations (still no need for Fleet Foxes rule I guess) and another was probably XX (but how many XX songs make to second round 2-3(?))

Edit. The other artist with seven nominations was definitely Annie not XX.

Henrik
I assume that many of us will have 10 or more of our nominated songs qualified for the next round. As a result, many of us will probably just vote for "their own" songs. This is not a problem per se, but it seems to me that we're losing much of the fun with the two stage voting. I really like that we have 58 songs left in the game though. I just wish that we were to vote for more than 10 songs.

Also, am I right that everyone can participate in the second round of the poll, not just those who nominated songs in round 1?

Yes, anyone can participate in the next round.

I'm willing to expand the voting to more than 10 songs if there's enough support. I suppose the easiest way is to just double everything - instead of assigning 100 points to 10 songs, we can do 200 points for 20 songs, and I would expand the range of points from 5-30 to 5-40.

But if we were to do this, I would like to see at least a few people support the idea.

Like with the albums poll, I'm in favor of sticking to 10 songs. However, if we are to switch to 20 songs I think it's best to use the same rules we used for the albums. You'd have to take a look at that topic to see what those were exactly.

I have a slight preference for proceeding with voting based on 20 songs in round 2. If some prefer to vote for only 10, they can do so by attributing weights accordingly to their top 10 songs.

Bump

We need a quick decision about this.

Well, if there aren't some more votes for 20 songs in the next few hours, I think we should stick to the original plan.

I'm happy with either 20 songs or 10 songs. I'm going to listen to all of the candidates, so I can make an honest list of my favorite 20, but I can't speak for everyone.

I have a slight preference for 20 too.

With almost 60 songs, I think a 20 song point system will give a better result.

20 songs is OK for me. Alex D, great presentation!

20 songs and maybe 150 points (min. 5 points/song) sounds good to me.

OK, 20 songs and 150 points it is.

I still don't understand why

[766] Kings of Leon | Use Somebody | 2009 (from Jackson's all-time songs poll)

is frequently referred to as from the year 2009, but we weren't able to include it in this AMF Songs Poll 2009.

Henry

is frequently referred to as from the year 2009, but we weren't able to include it in this AMF Songs Poll 2009.

Because its sucktitude didn't become well-known until this year, most likely.

Henry

It's actually from 2008. Only by the Night came out September 2008, and the single was released worldwide December 2008.

I have no idea why it's referred to as a 2009 song, except for that was when it became enormous Stateside. It was virtually an overnight success in UK.

When is (was, hopefully not) the deadline?

7th of March. Check the Ongoing Polls topic. :)

Well, the deadline is past.

That said, I'm still accepting any late ballots; there are at least four people who submitted "illegal" ballots who may or may not be correcting them, and I would not be surprised to get another 2 or 3 votes on top of that.

Results to follow...sometime. I don't know when.

Turnout has been relatively poor. Only 12 votes have been properly tallied thus far.