Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum Poll : The Best Songs of the 70s

Before revealing the winner of the forum poll, a quick introduction to the song poll with the name of our wonderful 21 voters :

Alex D
Brad
brose
Charlie Driggs
Chris
Harold Wexler
Henrik
Honorio
Jackson
Jonah
Michel
Midaso
Miguel
Mindrocker
Nassim
nicolas
Otisredding
Petri
RockyRaccoon
sonfosamiam
Stephan

I will post the bottom 50 pretty quickly before slowing the pace down.
I thought about adding youtube videos but I'm afraid the page would be too long to appear, maybe just for the top 20.

The bottom 10 when I leave work (so in about an hour I guess).

Re: Forum Poll : The Best Songs of the 70s

Without further Adieux (I guess that is an official AM Forum phrase), the bottom 10 :

100) Funkadelic - One Nation Under a Groove (1978)
546 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 89

Least likely to groove to it : Miguel #99, brose #97

Alex D : Try not to dance to this one. Just try it. I dare you. I bet you can't.

Less dislike than some songs ranked a bit higher, but very few praise either

99) Rolling Stones, The - Miss You (1978)
585 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 10
Rank in the AM 70s list : 146

Won’t miss it : sonfosamiam #99, Harold Wexler #96, Henrik #94

Alex D : Even if it is the Rolling Stones going disco of all places, it's still great. I can't think of a drummer more tailor-made for the genre than Charlie Watts and Mick's lusty come-ons are perfect for this sort of thing.

98) Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back In Town (1976)
601 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 105

Fan : Brad #6
Want the boys to leave again : Honorio #98, Petri #94, Otisredding #94, Charlie Driggs #94, nicolas #94

Alex D : One of the few songs to which I know all the words by heart - I used to listen to it all the time back in the day. The guitar leads and the little bass thing in the intro still hold up.

This one spent much time at the last position, but some late support, and especially Brad’s vote, allowed it to pass 2 other songs

97) Millie Jackson - If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right (1974)
602 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 10
Rank in the AM 70s list : Not Ranked

Fan : Mindrocker #8
If Loving It Is Wrong, They Are Ok With It : Midaso #100, Brad #99, Michel #95, Otisredding #95, Chris #91

Alex D : I love the mood that this one creates - it's romantic but dark, almost sinful, which fits it perfectly.

96) Bob Marley & The Wailers - Get Up, Stand Up (1973)
620 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 7
Rank in the AM 70s list : 60

Fan : nicolas #8
Stay sat : Stephan #39 (/41), Brad #97, Jonah #90 (/94), Miguel #93, Petri #91

Alex D : Bob never really wrote a bad song. There's good ones and great ones and this one is a good one.

95) Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear (The Reaper) (1976)
624 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 46

Won’t be cured by more cowbell : nicolas #96, brose #94

Alex D : Not only did it inspire a hilarious SNL sketch, it rocks really hard, and I have rocked out to it really hard on "Rock Band".

94) Steely Dan - Reelin' In The Years (1972)
626 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 102

Fan : Miguel #9

Least likely to listen to it : Honorio #91, Henrik #91

Alex D : Steely Dan are really just perplexing - how can they turn in a song like this, catchy, with interesting lyrics, and be so obtuse the rest of the time?

93) Bob Dylan - Knockin' On Heaven's Door (1973)
629 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 185

Stayin’ Alive : Otisredding #99, Charlie Driggs #96

Alex D : For my money, his best song of the decade. The gospel voices in the background are a nice touch.

92) Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number (1974)
629 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 213

Fan : Harold Wexler #3
Won’t keep that number : Alex D #95, Jackson #95, sonofsamiam #94, Midaso #94

Alex D : Dull.

Honorio : The sophisticated jazz-pop sound of Fagen and Becker for one of the most mysterious numbers on pop history.

And Steely is already out, even quicker than in the albums poll

91) Roxy Music - Love Is The Drug (1975)
634 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 109

Straight Edge : Honorio #96, sonofsamiam #92, Alex D #91

Alex D : Roxy Music were good for one thing - launching Brian Eno's career. The rest is just bad ideas, like this song.

Nassim

Least likely to groove to it
Won’t miss it
Want the boys to leave again
If Loving It Is Wrong, They Are Ok With It
Stay sat
Won’t be cured by more cowbell
Stayin’ Alive
Won’t keep that number
Straight Edge

97. "If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be Right"

I was hoping that this song would be the surprise of the songs poll. I thought it was really cool that it made the top 10 of 1974, thanks to the 50 points from netjade and mindrocker. I didn't put it in my personal top of 1974, but the song really hit me when I ranked the 100 final songs. It ended up at #19 in my ballot and it's now suddenly my #2 song of 1974.

So... netjade, did you forget to vote?

Just one funny fact to prove that the quality of the songs was very high and homogenous : there are 5 songs that got both at least a #1 and a #100 vote !
In fact every songs which got a #100 vote appeared in at least one top 11.

re: Boys Are Back In Town-

Nassim
This one spent much time at the last position, but some late support, and especially Brad’s vote, allowed it to pass 2 other songs

Is it wrong that I'm proud to have moved this one up? I thought everyone loved this song!

Henrik

If that chick don't wanna know, forget 'er...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm a little surprised "One Nation Under a Groove" finished at 100, especially given the uproar over "Miss You" even qualifying. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't voted for "Miss You" in the `78 poll and had put "Damaged Goods" (which, for my money, crushes all of the bottom ten) at number 1 for that year.

Sad for the bottom five, all great songs. But in general, all these songs are great ! I guess that 90 of these 100 is at least 4-star material to me.

Brad
re: Boys Are Back In Town-
Nassim

Is it wrong that I'm proud to have moved this one up? I thought everyone loved this song!

No it's not wrong to be proud and maybe everyone loved the song but now The Boys Are Leaving Town.

nicolas
Sad for the bottom five, all great songs. But in general, all these songs are great ! I guess that 90 of these 100 is at least 4-star material to me.

I couldn't agree more. I think I started ranking the songs I didn't like around #91 or so.

And I'm now glad to say goodbye to 4 of my bottom 10 !

90) Gladys Knight and the Pips- Midnight Train to Georgia (1973)
637 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 10
Rank in the AM 70s list : 40

Fan : Petri #9
Georgia out of their mind : Jackson #92, Michel #92

Alex D : I think the phrase that comes to mind is "puts on a clinic in backup vocals".

89) Joni Mitchell - Free Man In Paris (1974)
647 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 200

Fan : Miguel #3
Would rather be a number : Alex D #99, Mindrocker #98, nicolas #97, Nassim #94, Honorio #94, Jackson #91

Alex D : What's that? I think I just heard a whale mating call!

88) Only Ones, The - Another Girl, Another Planet (1978)
654 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 6
Rank in the AM 70s list : 174

Fans : Brad #2, Jackson #7
Stay on Earth : Petri #100, Otisredding #97, Honorio #93

Alex D : I heard this song for the first time for this poll, and it's pretty awesome. If I was more familiar with it it would probably be higher.

87) David Bowie - Station To Station (1976)
657 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 6

Throwing darts in Bowie’s eyes : nicolas #99, Chris #96, RockyRaccoon #91

Alex D : At over 10 minutes, it takes a while to get going, but it's got a few great lyrics and nobody blends genres like David Bowie (Philly soul and Krautrock? Really?)

85(tie) Elvis Costello - Alison (1977)
664 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 9 (tie)
Rank in the AM 70s list : 67

Fan : Charlie Driggs #6
Let this world kill her : nicolas #92, brose #92

Alex D : Well-crafted but a little slow. I like it when I'm in a lazy mood.

85(tie) Joy Division - Disorder (1979)
664 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 8

Fan : Michel #6
Tidy people : Honorio #99, nicolas #98

Alex D : A short anecdote: when I watched this on YouTube, people were commenting from the UK about how much better they were cause they had Joy Division. There really isn't much arguing with that one.

84) Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Powderfinger (1979)
677 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 6
Rank in the AM 70s list : Bubbling Under

Fan : Michel
Might even enjoy more the Australian band named Powderfinger : Chris #97, Nassim #96, Henrik #95

83) David Bowie - Aladdin Sane (1973)
680 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 9

Fans : Charlie Driggs #2, Henrik #8
Who’ll love Aladdin Sane ? Not them : Nassim #100, sonofsamiam #97, Harold Wexler #97, Midaso #97, RockyRaccoon #97, Mindrocker #92

Alex D : David Bowie owns this poll. That I have 7 of his songs ahead of this one (which is great in its own right) speaks to how great of an artist he is.

Yeah, I dared ! Horrible song. And I have Ziggy Stardust as #1 album and a Bowie song in my top 3, so nothing against the guy.

82) Clash, The - White Man (In Hammersmith Palais) (1978)
682 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 27

Sleep before Hammersmith : Mindrocker #100, Miguel #98, Henrik #97, Petri #96, Nassim #91

Alex D : Ska-punk isn't my cup of tea, but it's different when the Clash are playing it.

One of the worst counter-performances of the poll, far below its AM rank. Ended 2nd of the year in 1978s poll and is now far behind 6 of the songs of the same year.

81) Sparks - This Town Ain't Big Enough for The Both of Us (1974)
683 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 6
Rank in the AM 70s list : 110

Fan : sonofsamiam #7
Make Sparks Leave This Town : Honorio #100, Chris #99, Midaso #95, RockyRaccoon #94

Alex D : I didn't get it when I listened to it for Bracketology, but it really clicked here. It's wonderfully weird, like Queen before they were Queen, except with a Hitler mustache.

Nassim
Throwing darts in Bowie’s eyes

Wow, "Another Girl, Another Planet" and "Station to Station" are way too low. The former is an absolutely brilliant punk single, while the latter might be Bowie's most underrated track of the 70s. I can't believe it ranked below "Aladdin Sane," "Starman," etc...

I feel sorry for those of you who can't enjoy Mick Garson's piano in "Aladdin Sane".

fabulous piano solo

nah...

Henrik

nj
in me case, it's "albums poll" only, nass.. i simply loathe song lists..

greetings from the drama queen..

Re: nah...

80) David Bowie - Starman (1972)
685 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 141

No fan, no opponents

Alex D : My personal favourite on Ziggy Stardust. The chorus is just so darn catchy!

79) Police, The - Message in a Bottle (1979)
688 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 171

Fan : Mindrocker #5
Won’t send any help : Harold Wexler #100, Petri #93, Jackson #93

Alex D : A strong contender for "Best Police pop song," and definitely the catchiest song ever about being stranded on a desert island. Sting's really good at that sort of thing.

78) Chic - Good Times (1979)
689 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 16

Not having a good time : Brad #100 , brose #96, Rocky Raccoon #92

Alex D : I don't think this makes it if it's not for "Rapper's Delight" which is a shame because this is a solid disco song, which is a rarity.

77) Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (1979)
689 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 10
Rank in the AM 70s list : 326

Fan : Nassim #6
Would rather be numb : nicolas #95, mindrocker #94

Alex D : The fact that David Gilmour's guitar solo is the only part of the song that matters doesn't really matter here.

Honorio : The narcotic sound of the verses, the dreamy melody of the chorus and, of course, the two Gilmour awesome guitar solos.

76) John Lennon - Working Class Hero (1970)
701 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 10
Rank in the AM 70s list : 249

Fan : mindrocker #9

Alex D : Although Green Day recently trashed it in a cover (for charity, of course) it still holds up. I don't know that bad childhoods will ever go out of style, but it will be a long time before anyone writes a song about it as angry as this one.

75) David Bowie - Rebel Rebel (1974)
702 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 212

Fan : Otisredding #6
Rebellion lies : sonofsamiam #98, nicolas #91

Alex D : The glam riff to end all glam riffs. It could be 20 minutes long with just that riff and I think it might rank just as high (maybe higher).

4 Bowie songs out, but don't except to see his name soon again

74) Temptations, The - Papa Was A Rolling Stone (1972)
704 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 7
Rank in the AM 70s list : 24

Fan : nicolas #9
Least likely to listen to it : Brad #94

Alex D : A bit melodramatic, don't you think? It's a little late on the cop show-funk bandwagon, but it's still enjoyable.

73) Rolling Stones, The - Rocks Off (1972)
705 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 10
Rank in the AM 70s list : 491

Fans : Chris #4, Brad #5
Least likely to listen to it : Petri #98, Mindrocker #97, Charlie Driggs #92

Alex D : It might be an only average Stones song, but that's more than enough for me.

72) Fela Kuti - Zombie (1976)
708 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 10

Fans : sonofsamiam #3, Jonah #4
Chris Redfield : Midaso #98, Harold Wexler #94, Otisredding #91

Alex D : The first time I heard it, I just knew it was magic. I definitely have to get more of his stuff.

71) Ramones - Sheena Is A Punkrocker (1977)
712 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 9 (tie)
Rank in the AM 70s list : 53

Fan : Miguel

Alex D : The best Ramones songs are the poppy, girl-group sounding ones. This is one of 'em.

First song with a #1 vote coming just next !

70) King Crimson - Starless (1974)
717 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 7

Fans : Jackson #1, Petri #2, sonofsamiam #9
Won’t hail to the king : Chris #100, RockyRaccoon #100, Midaso #99, Alex D #98, Nassim #98, brose #95, Jonah #88 (/94), Mindrocker #93

Alex D : I couldn't make it to the end of this one.

Honorio : This song was intended as the last song of the last Crimson album and showed to maximum effect all the faces of the band, ambition, melody and risk.

The first song with both a #1 and #100 vote, probably one of the 3 most polarizing songs of the top

69) Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke (1976)
719 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 7

“There’s no way the band can win” : Michel #94

Alex D : A fitting tribute to Duke Ellington - I would be honored by a song half as funky.

68) Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)
721 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 35

Alex D : Black Sabbath - they get a bad rap. Even if the corny, dumb metal/meathead-classic rocker types like this song, doesn't mean it can't be great. Besides, it's a huge influence on punk and heavy metal.

Sadistic : Honorio #92

66(tie) John Cale - Paris 1919 (1973)
722 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 8

Fan : Charlie Driggs #5
Anywhere else, 2010 : Henrik #96, Jonah #89 (/94), Harold Wexler #95, Midaso #93

Alex D : It doesn't sound like it comes from the former "mad genius" of the VU, but it's pleasant and poppy (and a little bizarre).

Honorio : Cale finally decided not to hide anymore his European classical background without completely abandoning the narcotic sound of VU.

66(tie) Patti Smith - Gloria (1975)
722 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 71

Fan : Michel #8

Alex D : It feels wrong putting this so low (#80) - it's more representative of how many good songs there are in the poll than how bad this one is, because this one is awesome.

65) Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up (1970)
724 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 153

Fan : sonofsamiam #6
Move it down : Stephan #36 (/41), Jonah #87 (/94)

Alex D : Curtis Mayfield is horribly underrated - when people put him in a league with Marvin and Stevie they're not too far off. This song is no exception.

63(tie) Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (1975)
725 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 87

Cotton is good enough : Otisredding #93, Midaso #92

Alex D : The good news: Led Zeppelin made one of their best songs ever, an astonishingly heavy and powerful 8-minute Arabian-scale jam . Bad news: They tried to repeat it, ruining their subsequent albums. (Kind of.)

63(tie) Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird (1973)
725 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 47

Fans : Alex D #6, Harold Wexler #8
Building cages : Henrik #99, Honorio #97, Jonah #93

Alex D : People scream it at concerts for a reason - cause it's freakin' amazing. Not one, but two mesmerizing guitar solos. I don't think there's a finer example of what the instrument can do, nor do I think there's a better instrumental section in all of rock. I usually spend the last four minutes in sheer awe.

62) Clash, The - The Guns Of Brixton (1979)
728 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 7

Fan : Charlie Driggs #4
Crushes them, bruises them : Miguel #92

Alex D : Why people rank this as one of their best songs is beyond me - I like the Clash when they're more hooky rather than dark. But by no means is this a bad song, in fact, it's pretty good.

60 (tie) Kraftwerk - Das Modell (1978)
734 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 121

Fan : Honorio #5, Michel #9
This model looks like Kate Moss (yeah, I hate Kate Moss) : Midaso #91

Alex D : Germany has produced exactly one great band - and you're looking (or listening) right at/to them. They also be the greatest electronic "band" ever, with this as their best riff.

Honorio : Cold pop. The Teutonic men-machine created here the most similar to a pop song of their whole catalog, slightly minimizing their usual robotic tone (one can even detect an unheard ironic tone on Schneider’s voice), using synthesizer sounds simultaneously futuristic and classic (almost classical) and creating a melody built to last.

60 (tie) Marvin Gaye - Let's Get it On (1973)
734 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 51

Fans : Alex D #8, Henrik #10
Let’s turn it off : Michel #91

Alex D : I can't understand why anyone wouldn't like this, except for if they were celibate maybe. Do you not feel the power of his voice? It would be over-the-top for anybody else, but it works for Marvin, and whoever the session guy that played the guitar licks is, he is just ballin' on this one.

Nassim

This model looks like Kate Moss (yeah, I hate Kate Moss)

What???!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp6A1KeXDC0

Nassim

Alex D : Germany has produced exactly one great band - and you're looking (or listening) right at/to them.

Come on Alex D.

Petri
Nassim

Alex D : Germany has produced exactly one great band - and you're looking (or listening) right at/to them.

Come on Alex D.

I haven't ever listened to Can or Neu!, but I think you have to admit that (generally speaking) Kraftwerk stand head-and-shoulders above the rest of their compatriots.

Alex D
Petri
Nassim

Come on Alex D.

I haven't ever listened to Can or Neu!, but I think you have to admit that (generally speaking) Kraftwerk stand head-and-shoulders above the rest of their compatriots.

Kraftwerk is the most influental band of Germany but that doesn't mean that they are the only great band.

Alex D
Petri
Nassim

Come on Alex D.

I highly recommend listening to both Can and Neu! Trust me, you'll be happy you did. Also, considering Can's influence on many a modern band (Radiohead to name one), I think the influence discussion might be narrowing.

sonofsamiam
Alex D
Petri
Nassim

Come on Alex D.

I highly recommend listening to both Can and Neu! Trust me, you'll be happy you did. Also, considering Can's influence on many a modern band (Radiohead to name one), I think the influence discussion might be narrowing.

I agree. When I heard first time Neu! it was only after minute I realise that it was a source of almost every band I've ever loved. The same thing happened when I listened to first time Nico's Marble Index (I heard the whole Fonal catalogue, Animal Collective etc.).

I really wish I was a fan of participating in songs polls. Seeing Rikki Don't Lose That Number so low down pains me.

Respect to Harold for having it so high.

The hate for "Starless" really surprises me. If you can't make it to the end of the song, then you're missing the best part, and you might as well just leave it off your ballot.

Jackson
The hate for "Starless" really surprises me. If you can't make it to the end of the song, then you're missing the best part, and you might as well just leave it off your ballot.

I listened to it in full. Several times ! Still my #98.

59) Undertones, The - Teenage Kicks (1978)
737 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 49

Fans : Otisredding #4, Midaso #7, Jackson #8
Even John Peel can’t always be right : Miguel #95, Petri #92

Alex D : Good song, but the melody is a little clunky.

58) Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (1974)
739 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 93

Fans : Miguel #4, nicolas #7
Seems like Alex D does not know them (see comment below) : Charlie Driggs #98, sonofsamiam #96, Brad #96, Jonah #94

Alex D : I don't know anyone who doesn't like this song. It's fun, it boogies, there's some great guitar licks and gospel backing vocals, and it even protests segregation. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

57) Neil Young - After the Goldrush (1970)
740 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 351

Fans : Miguel #1, nicolas #4
Ain’t no Golddigger : Nassim #93

Alex D : It's Neil's best ballad - I love that he went with the piano because it has a regal quality that you don't get with an acoustic guitar. Beautiful song.

56) Iggy Pop - Lust For Life (1977)
743 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 68

Fans : Jonah #6, Jackson #10
Sin Free : Miguel #94

Alex D : Product placement time - I can only think of Royal Caribbean cruise lines. I think the commercial overexposure ruined it for me.

55) Eagles, The - Hotel California (1976)
745 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 9

Fan : Stephan #6, Rockyraccoon #7
Suck a boring place : Michel #99, Jackson #98, sonofsamiam #95, Jonah #92

Alex D : I've been hearing this one since I was 5 - it's on every radio station my parents have ever listened to. I think there's a reason for that - it never gets boring (even if you've heard it a hundred times) and the guitar-solo payoff is enthralling.

54) Iggy & The Stooges - Search and Destroy (1973)
750 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 5 (tie)
Rank in the AM 70s list : 86

Fans : Nassim #2, Brad #9
Won’t save Iggy’s sould : Chris #98, Miguel #97

Alex D : One of the Stooges' best songs - and I don't know that they've made any bad ones.

bah….

53) Wire - Outdoor Miner (1978)
755 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 5

Fans : sonofsamiam #5, Nassim #7, Charlie Driggs #8
Cryptic ironic sentence : Mindrocker #99, Otisredding #96, brose #91

Alex D : Wire are a band I'm not exactly in love with, but I haven't heard anything I didn't like from them yet, this included.

The other polarizing song, in the top or bottom 20 of 13 ballots

52) Stevie Wonder - Higher Ground (1973)
758 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 5 (tie)
Rank in the AM 70s list : 173

Fan : mindrocker #7
Lower rank : Honorio #95, Brad #93, Harold Wexler #91

Alex D : Yes, I do think it's better than "Living for the City" - how could a song with a rhythm like this not be?

51) Donna Summer - I Feel Love (1977)
762 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 29

Fans : sonofsamiam #4, Mindrocker #4, Otisredding #10
I Feel Bored : nicolas #100, brose #98, Brad #98, RockyRaccoon #98, Petri #97, Harold Wexler #92

Alex D : Previously I have belittled this one, and when I re-listened to it for this poll I was still not impressed, though it did improve a bit.

Honorio : “The sound of the future”, as Brian Eno accurately described, this song goes to show how synthesizers and rhythm boxes can be absolutely hot.

After 7 ballots, this song was #1 ! I really believed (and hoped) in a huge performance from it but the second half of the votes has been merciless

Some great songs in that last batch. I do have to say, "Teenage Kicks" should be a lot higher. It grows on me every time I hear it, and I've heard it about 30 times by now. I'm surprised (but not appalled) that "Sweet Home Alabama" did so well.

50) Boston - More Than A Feeling (1976)
765 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 65

Fan : Harold Wexler #6
Indifference is a feeling after all : RockyRaccoon #95, nicolas #93

Alex D : When I heard it for the first time, I think the chorus was stuck in my head for a solid week. And who could deny the guitar riff?

49) Bob Marley & The Wailers - No Woman, No Cry (1974)
766 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 17

Fan : RockyRaccoon #4
No reggae either : Jackson #96, Brad #95, Jonah #91

Alex D : I really, really, really love this song. It's almost as if Bob was writing a song for a friend in a rough spot, but that friend was the whole world.

That’s the first song which ended #1 of its year poll to appear in the list, but 1974 still have 2 bullets left (even though its #2 and #3 are already gone too)

48) Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way (1977)
771 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 6
Rank in the AM 70s list : 43

Fan : Charlie Driggs #7
Goes another way : Jackson #97

Alex D : Rumours is a great record, and this is the best song on the record. I think the lower someone is emotionally, the more it brings out the best in someone's artwork, and it's apparent that even though Lindsay and Stevie pretty much hated each other while recording this one, they sang and played their wounded hearts out.

47) David Bowie - Changes (1971)
772 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 10
Rank in the AM 70s list : 26

Fan : brose #7, RockyRaccoon #10
Changes the station : Nassim #95

Alex D : People say this is his best pop song; I don't feel it but he had a lot of good ideas (like the intro) on this one.

46) Sly and the Family Stone - Family Affair (1971)
775 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 8
Rank in the AM 70s list : 23

Fan : Charlie Driggs #3
Family issues : Stephan #40 (/41), Chris #94

Alex D : Is there a funk song that doesn't borrow from this in some way? I don't think so. Sly sounds like most every soul singer for the next decade onward, and the same can be said for the rhythm section (gotta give a shout-out to Larry Graham, who is an absolute legend in funk bass).

Honorio : A Family Stone affair, it’s amazing that a funk song with that cool attitude and druggy atmosphere could get to number one of the charts, the 70s were that good.

Wow, I only had 40 songs? That really makes my list useless. Sorry guys, just didn't have the time.

45) Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights (1978)
780 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 7
Rank in the AM 70s list : 129

Fans : Petri #8, Charlie Driggs #9, Miguel #10
Bush de là (lame French play with words) : Jackson #100, brose #100, Harold Wexler #98, RockyRaccoon #96, Alex D #93

Alex D : Uh, meh.

I did not except that much opposition to this song, however some high support helps it reach the top 50, far above its AM rank

44) Blondie - Heart of Glass (1978)
783 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 39

Heart of stone : Mindrocker : #91

Alex D : Not my personal favorite from Blondie (it's still T3), but nonetheless a superb song. Side note: I think this would be my dad's #1.

43) James Brown - Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine (1970)
787 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 25

Fans : Otisredding #2
Get Down : Petri #99

Alex D : My favorite JB song.

Honorio : The Godfather of Soul stepped decidedly into his third decade of career with this distillation of urgent sexual desire into music. Like a sex machine, you know.

42) Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland (1975)
788 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 10

Fans : Midaso #3, Brad #7, Stephan #9
Ears wounded (not even dead) tonight in Jungleland : Jackson #99, Charlie Driggs #95, Nassim #92

Alex D : It's a great finale to one of my all-time favorite albums, beautifully arranged, with a great story in the lyrics. It almost feels like you're watching a Scorsese film in song. Oh, and Clarence Clemons' sax solo is pretty good too.

First (at last!) Springsteen song out, Jungleland ends up as the highest ranked Bubbling Under in this poll… but there still is an unranked song left !

Fan : Michel #7

41) Kinks, The - Lola (1970)
793 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 7
Rank in the AM 70s list : 97 Alex D : I need to listen to more Kinks - who else besides Ray Davies can write great critically successful albums and then say "I want a hit" and can write one just like that? About transvestites?

This is a surprising poll. I would have guessed most of the songs in the 50-60 range would have placed ahead the songs in the 40-49 range. "More Than a Feeling" at number 50 has to be the shock of the poll, especially given the opposition to Boston in the album poll.

70's song poll

First (at last!)Springsteen song

No personal comments please

Re: 70's song poll

nicolas
First (at last!)Springsteen song

No personal comments please

"Je vais me gêner" (I don't know how to say that in English)

39(tie) Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop (1976)
795 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 28

Fans : Miguel #7, Mindrocker #10
Beat on the punks with a baseball bat : Henrik #93

Alex D : I can only think of cingular/at&t's go phone commercials (remember them?), but this is the standard for all pop-punk songs to live up to.

39(tie) Sex Pistols, The - God Save the Queen (1977)
795 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 7
Rank in the AM 70s list : 4

Fans : Mindrocker #1, Michel #10
Nevermind the Pistols : Miguel #100

Alex D : This would be in the 30-40s range if Johnny Rotten wasn't singing. It's an excellently written, horribly sung protest.

On a personal point of view, I can not see how this song could be sung in a more appropriate way ! Another song with #1 and #100 vote, proving, if necessary, the huge differences of tastes between AM Forum members (and that’s what we all like !)

38) Velvet Underground, The - Rock and Roll (1970)
796 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 6
Rank in the AM 70s list : 166

Hey Baby, you know it’s not alright : Henrik #92

Alex D : VU got more catchy in 1970, but they also got much worse. Doesn't compare to their earlier works.

37) Talking Heads - Psycho Killer (1977)
798 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 41

Fan : Honorio #10
Qu’est-ce que c’est (que cette horreur) ? : Otisredding #100

Alex D : Qu'est-ce que c'est? It's delightfully weird, sometimes I wonder how it ever was a hit with David Byrne shouting all the nonsense he does.

Honorio : Just at the height of punk-rock some bands abandoned the guitars immersed in overdrive, now they sounded clean, funk-influenced (but without its warmth), sounding tense and nervous. The lyrics were no longer political and nihilistic but they retained the angriness and bizarreness, with Byrne as the perfect impersonator of an Anthony Perkins-style psycho killer.

36) Clash, The - Train In Vain (Stand By Me) (1979)
801 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 112

Fans : brose #6, Jonah #8
Sing in Vain (Stand Away) : Harold Wexler #99, Mindrocker #96, Miguel #96

Alex D : Amazing, amazing song. The Clash were a band who could do anything, they could play anything in any style, and it would still be the most punk thing you'd ever heard - this song is the best example.

And here ends what I would call "ventre mou" (nicolas, you will have to help me on that one), a group of song everybody seems to appreciate but nobody strongly supports.
Next song is 24 points ahead (which is the gap between Train in Vain and our #46, Family Affair), starting another dense group, of about 11 songs, including the most polarizing one.

4 songs making it far above their AM rank, and one doing a little worse, but not that bad in a genre not really praised by the AMers

34(tie) Bob Dylan - Hurricane (1975)
825 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 7
Rank in the AM 70s list : 280

Alex D : Overlong, and preachy, but the word "rollicking" was invented to describe this song.

Fans : Stephan #2, Michel #2
Authority who came to blame the song : Jonah #86 (/94)

34(tie) Robert Wyatt - Sea Song (1974)
825 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 132

Fans : Charlie Driggs #1, nicolas #2, Otisredding #3, Petri #3
Drowned : Nassim #99, brose #99, RockyRaccoon #99, Midaso #96, Alex D #96, Jonah #85 (/94)

Alex D : Sorry nicolas.

Now that’s what I call polarizing, even though Jackson and some others put it pretty close to the middle of their list.

33) Beach Boys, The - Surf's up (1971)
828 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 9
Rank in the AM 70s list : 477

Fans : sonofsamiam #1, Jackson #2
Sleeping like Brother John : Otisredding #98, Michel #97, RockyRaccoon #93

Alex D : Any pre-nervous breakdown Brian Wilson tune, you can't go wrong. The man was on a higher plane.

32) Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive (1977)
831 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 18

Fans : Henrik #5, Stephan #10
Well you can tell by the way they vote they aren’t disco men : Michel #98, Petri #95, Brad #91

Alex D : Can you say disco fever? My candidate for the most ridiculously awesome falsetto ever is most definitely "Stayin' Alive".

Honorio : The tale of how a style was taken from the catacombs of NYC gay clubs to the mainstream by an Australian soft-pop band. Disco sucks? Of course not.

I expected a harsh fate for that song but most of the votes seemed to reflect Alex and Honorio’s comments. So it still falls behind its AM rank, but it could have been worse Johnny, a lot worse

31) Lou Reed - Perfect Day (1972)
832 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 194

Fans : Brad #1, Henrik #2
Don’t find it that perfect : Mindrocker #95, Alex D #94

Alex D : Overrated. I think it's my least favorite on Transformer.

I expected this one to end lower too, but there had been less opposition than I expected, help Lou Reed put a song far above its AM rank.

Nassim, excellent presentation with all those refreshingly humorous comments. “Sleeping like Brother John”.

Really fun, Nassim. I'm doing very well.

It is curious what happened with "Sea Song": love or hate

I don't find it surprising.
Every time I play Rock Bottom people are either charmed or totally rebuked.
First time i heard it (I remember it was in the subway in 1989 or 1990), I found it weird and interesting. I guess it stuck at the second or third listen.
The vocal performance on that song is simply breathtaking.

Songs 31-38 are simply fantastic. Rock Bottom is just starting to click for me, and I wasn't quite sure where to put "Sea Song," so it ended up in the middle. Great placements for "Perfect Day" and "Surf's Up" too. Also, I'm really surprised "Train in Vain" had anyone who disliked it. That song is pop genius.

Kudos to Nassim for the good work again. Also, I did my job knocking out the bottom 10 songs before we reached the top 30, and seven of my top 10 remain.

Psycho Killer is my worst song

David Byrne
Psycho Killer is my worst song

Your lyrics? Absolute garbage

My bass line? Absolute awesomeness

If I voted it would have knocked Alison up a bit.

BillAdama
If I voted it would have knocked Alison up a bit.

...that's what she said. (sorry)

29(tie) Cure, The - Boys Don't Cry (1979)
833 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 107

Fan : Nassim #10
Fight for your right to cry : Harold Wexler #93

Alex D : The Cure's best pop song - it's too bad we got ten more years of Robert Smith moping before his pop side came out again.

Honorio : Still no clues about the gloomy sound that was going to define The Cure, instead we have brilliant power pop with emotional resonance.

29(tie) Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water (1970)
833 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 14

Times got rough : Jackson #94, Charlie Driggs #93

Alex D : I guess it speaks to my youth that the first time I heard this song was when Clay Aiken sang it on "American Idol". Yeah, I was 9 and impressionable. But then when I heard Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits (a superb album, it should be the model for every greatest hits collection) and the original, I knew that was even better. It's a really lovely song.

28) Velvet Underground, The - Sweet Jane (1970)
839 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 113

Fans : Jackson #6, Midaso #8

Alex D : Some people say this is their "prettiest" song, not me but it's a nice song and riff.

27) Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)
847 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 6
Rank in the AM 70s list : 144

Fan : Michel #3
Wish They Did Not Play : Charlie Driggs #91, sonofsamiam #91

Alex D : If you want a song that's overplayed, it's this one. Pink Floyd are (slightly) overrated to begin with, and this song is the main culprit. Outside of the context of classic rock radio, though, it's a deserved tribute to Syd Barrett, and the fact that the guys in the band meant this one sincerely is probably the reason I hate how overplayed it is.

Honorio : If you want to play acoustic guitar in a rock band the riff of the beginning of the song should be lesson one, the ticket to a fascinating universe.

26) Stevie Wonder - Living For The City (1973)
850 points

Rank in the 1973 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 66

Fans : sonofsamiam #2, brose #4, Jonah #10

Alex D : While this is a great song, I don't think it's that great; he's done better (like "Superstition"). For me, Stevie's strengths are in his arrangements, his virtuosity and multifacetedness, not his lyrics. Try as he might, he doesn't tell the story of racism in America as effectively as, say, Sam Cooke. I guess that's why I like Songs in the Key of Life better than Innervisions - Stevie is funkier, and covers more ground musically, and in general sounds more joyous as opposed to trying to make a social statement. Don't get me wrong though - "Living for the City" is still a really good tune - it's just not on the same level for me as his best work.

Despite this song ends ranked 40 steps ahead of its AM ranking, 1973 is the first year to have all its songs out

Sweet Jane and Boys Don't Cry are incredible pop songs. I don't get the love for Bridge Over Troubled Water at all.

25) ABBA - Dancing Queen (1976)
852 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 21

Fans : Miguel #2, brose #10

Alex D : Definitely cheesy, but definitely great too. It's the kind of song you can't help but get stuck in your head, even if you're embarassed to admit it.

Honorio : If I ever should write an essay about “How to write a hit single” I would use DQ as example, able to please both the casual listener and the harshest critic.

24) David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (1972)
863 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 30

No fans, no opponents.

Alex D : It ain't the best song on the album, but when that album is Ziggy Stardust it doesn't matter cause they're all better than 99% of songs out there.

Ending a bit above its AM rank, Ziggy is still beaten by 3 others Bowie songs, and even by one of the same album !

23) Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (1979)
867 points

Rank in the 1979 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 62

Fans : Jonah #3, Petri #4
Already had enough : Stephan #38 (/41), Michel #96, Brad #92

Alex D : Word association: you say "dance song" and I say "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough." If you're a DJ at a party, what song do you play to get people out there? "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough." You could be at a funeral and people would dance if you put it on. Hell, I took a Afro-Cuban dance class and this was our recital song. You just can't deny it - it's just an absolute classic, timeless song.

22) Big Star - Thirteen (1972)
872 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 504

Fans : Petri #1, Nassim #1, Midaso #10
: Alex D #100, Chris #95, Otisredding #92

Alex D : Officially the worst song I voted on for this poll!

Honorio : The perfect Polaroid picture for the teenage period, with its bitter-sweetness and its glory, with dreamy backing vocals and caressing acoustic guitars.

Nassim : As I said on some other polls, I’m probably more a fan of Elliott Smith version, but still, this impersonates for me what a love song should be. It’s not about pathos, suffering, exaggeration… it’s just over very simple, pure and direct feelings.

grumpf… Still, 482 spots ahead of its AM rank, that could have been worse.

21) Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road (1975)
874 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 34

Fan : Chris #1

Alex D : A great song, and a very immediate one - when I first heard it I liked it more than "Born to Run", but that was before I realized how great that song was. It has just as many good moments, even if as a whole it isn't quite as good.

Bruce Springsteen falls short of having 2 songs on the top 20 !
I'll try to put videos for the top 20

Nassim

22) Big Star - Thirteen (1972)

Fans : Petri #1, Nassim #1, Midaso #10
: Alex D #100

It would've been even funnier if the smiley was Alex D's comment.
I'm suprised Thirteen isn't the highest Big Star song in the list. September Gurls in the top 20. Didn't see that coming.
Another suprise is Moonage Daydream. Will it be Let Down of the 70s (and I mean that Radiohead song, our #9 in the 90s poll).

Nassim

Alex D : The Cure's best pop song - it's too bad we got ten more years of Robert Smith moping before his pop side came out again.

I don't know if anyone agrees but I think The Cure released their best pop songs in the 80's before Disintegration.

Some notices...

Big Star - Thirteen (1972)
Fans : Petri #1

King Crimson - Starless (1974)
Fans : Petri #2
Won’t hail to the king : Alex D #98

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song (1974)
Fans : Petri #3
Drowned : Alex D #96

Hmmm, was Won't Get Fooled Again your #1 Alex?

Could it be that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is perhaps too "soft" for your taste?

The vocals by Garfunkel are incredible - smooth, excellent pitch (amazing range at the high-end), fantastic expressiveness; and the composition of the song is superb.

Petri
Some notices...

Big Star - Thirteen (1972)
Fans : Petri #1

King Crimson - Starless (1974)
Fans : Petri #2
Won’t hail to the king : Alex D #98

Robert Wyatt - Sea Song (1974)
Fans : Petri #3
Drowned : Alex D #96

Hmmm, was Won't Get Fooled Again your #1 Alex?

That's really really funny - I bet you're enjoying my comments. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is actually my #24 - I'm guessing you have "Born to Run" in the lower 90s somewhere?

Henry
Could it be that "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is perhaps too "soft" for your taste?

The vocals by Garfunkel are incredible - smooth, excellent pitch (amazing range at the high-end), fantastic expressiveness; and the composition of the song is superb.

That's probably it. I know the vocals are great, but it's just so schmaltzy for me.

I’m looking for the videos at work, so I can not put sound, so well… they might sound very bad !

20) Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love? (1978)
878 points

Rank in the 1978 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 36

Fans : Mindrocker #2, Jonah #9
Never fell in love with the song : Chris #93

Alex D : Heard it for the first time in this poll - and I'm impressed.

19) David Bowie - Moonage Daydream (1972)
880 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 6

Fans : Nassim #3, Jonah #7, Brad #8

Alex D : I was a tad surprised this one went through - it's not the biggest hit off the album - but it builds and builds, and the guitar solo is a great climax.

Nassim : I said for Thirteen that for me, love songs should always keep it simple, pure, almost childish. But if there should be one exception to this rule, it should be that song. Here only love can be extreme, exaggerated, absolute !

An unranked song in the top 20, who would have guessed ! I won’t complain about that.

18) Al Green - Let's Stay Together (1971)
894 points

Fans : Henrik #3, Honorio #8

Rank in the 1971 poll : 6
Rank in the AM 70s list : 13

Alex D : The arrangement is tight and the vocals are tighter - it's a very understated song, and the way it saunters along is gorgeous.

Honorio : If we were playing the Taboo game I would not be able to define this particular song without using words like “smooth”, “silky” or “sensual”. Because “Let’s Stay Together” is the quintessential sensual song, the sound of sex melting and smoothly flowing through the speakers from the silky throat of Green. Damn, I used these words again...

The first of the 7 1971 songs who cracked the top 20. I was afraid it would end lower, but thanks to a lack of dislike and support from the H Duo it comes close to its AM rank

17) Big Star - September Gurls (1974)
895 points

Rank in the 1974 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 81

Fans : Jackson #3, Midaso #5, Harold Wexler #9, Brad #10
Not in loooooove with that soooooong : Alex D #97

Alex D : Big Star - overrated
Honorio : No other band seemed interested at the time in those powerful jangly guitars, it took 15 years to reach cult status via The Replacements.

Even more success in the song poll than in the album song for Big Star, putting 2 songs way ahead oftheir AM ranks, that one even ending as our favourite 1974 song

The H Duo strikes again!

Yes, and stronger than ever!! Long live the H Duo!!

Nassim, many thanks for posting this wonderful live version of "Moonage Daydream". During the Mick Ronson solo I wanted to cry madly like the red-lighted girls on the audience. Some time ago I posted a version of my band playing live in the rehearsal room (sorry for the bad sound quality, it was recorded with an only mic). My guitar solo at the end is not as good as Ronson's but few guitar players are as good as Ronson was....

Hono's Moonage Daydream

Alex D

That's really really funny - I bet you're enjoying my comments. "Won't Get Fooled Again" is actually my #24 - I'm guessing you have "Born to Run" in the lower 90s somewhere?

Born to Run was actually somewhere between 45-50. Won't Get Fooled Again was my #87.
And I'm really enjoying reading your comments (and Honorio's and Nassim's too). I don't agree with all of your opinions but that's even more enjoyable.

"September Gurls" this low? Strange. "Moonage Daydream" is great, but given the level of support for Ziggy-era Bowie around here, I wonder why "Five Years" and "Rock 'n Roll Suicide" (by far my two favorites from that album) didn't make the cut.

16) Derek & the Dominos - Layla (1970)
907 points

Rank in the 1970 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 10

Fans : Harold Wexler #1, Midaso #6, Chris #7, RockyRaccoon #9, Honorio #9
Won’t ease Clapton’s mind : Henrik #100, Charlie Driggs #97, brose #93

Alex D : The piano outro is too long, but Eric Clapton & Duane Allman together is a slam dunk. They're so good together it's not even funny, like the "Dream Team" of guitarists.
Honorio : When in Bracketology “Layla” competed against “Something” I commented that both songs shared the same muse, Pattie Boyd-Harrison-Clapton. But while “Something” showcases the serene love inside a happily married couple, “Layla” is a desperate plea for the love for the wife of your best friend. And, you know, forbidden and sinful love creates better pieces of art.

15) John Lennon - Imagine (1971)
936 points

The real video can not be added in forums because of youtube restrictions, so I offer you one of those wonderful montages that did more harm to the song than anything else

Rank in the 1971 poll : 4
Rank in the AM 70s list : 5

Fans : RockyRaccoon #1, Henrik #4, Alex D #7, Petri #10
You may say I’m a hater, but I’m not the only one : Charlie Driggs #100, sonofsamiam #100, Nassim #97

Alex D : If there's ever been a more plain-spoken, sincere, loving call for world peace than this one, I want to hear it. This song is the very essence of what John Lennon was all about, and whether you think it is realistic or not, I think it speaks to the human condition, to the collective spirit in all of us to make the world better.

The 2 last songs with at the same time a #1 and a #100 votes, both accumulating too much dislike to reach their AM rank

14) Who, The - Won't Get Fooled Again (1971)
967 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 7
Rank in the AM 70s list : 22

Fans : RockyRaccoon #3, Harold Wexler #4, Nassim #4, Stephan #5
Pity the Foo’ : Henrik #98

Alex D : YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

The Who meet a better fate than in bracketology (the new one, they did very well in the old one if I remember well), in AM rank and in qualification round !

13) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (1975)
1005 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 15

Fans : Jonah #5, Petri #5, Nassim #8, Alex D #9
Cares about the wind blows : Michel #100

Alex D : Haters love to hate on this song, but I love it for the sheer audacity of it. What other half-opera, half-rock songs do you know? Who else can sing, and compose and arrange like Freddie Mercury? Can you really name another band who can write a song about murder and suicide and Beelzebub that's as good as this one? And make it just as whimsical and funny and enjoyable as this one? Not to mention creative and difficult? I don't care if they're showing off, they're having a hell of a good time doing it.

The last song to earn a #100 vote, succeeding, despite the usual disregard from part of the AMers, in beating its AM rank

Numbers 13-16 are some of my all time faves.

Great songs!!!

I still prefer "Behind Blue Eyes," Baba O'Reilly," and the "Song is Over" from Who's Next over "We Won't Get Fooled Again," but I am confident that this opinion is not shared by most.

Henry, I'm sure plenty of people prefer Baba O'Reily to Wont Get Fooled Again, hence Baba O'Reily is still left in the poll.

So far my favorite songs of the T20 are Ever Fallen in Love? and Moonage Daydream, the bottom two.

Any predictions on a winner? Since Bowie's been so dominant in these, I'm going to call "Heroes."

Unbelievable that people have songs like Layla,Imagine and Bohemian Rhapsody at #100...

A winner? Well,I'd have to guess Springsteen

London calling.

Top five will be Superstition, Born to Run, Heroes, Marquee Moon, and London Calling.

My money is on "London Calling." If I could have a back-up pick it would be "Born to Run."

Jackson
Top five will be Superstition, Born to Run, Heroes, Marquee Moon, and London Calling.

3 good guesses ! First proof right here :

12) Television - Marquee Moon (1977)
1012 points

Quite ironically, I did not found any good video for Television.

Rank in the 1977 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 64

Fans : Jonah #2, Nassim #5, Petri #6, brose #8, Midaso #9
More Rimbaud than Verlaine : Stephan #41 (/41), Alex D #92

Alex D : I don't get it.

11) Sex Pistols, The - Anarchy In The U.K. (1976)
1017 points

Rank in the 1976 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 1

Fans : Honorio #3, Michel #5, RockyRaccoon #6, Henrik #7, Chris #9
Royalist : Miguel #91

Alex D : I used to like the Pistols, but they have gotten to be just grating.

Honorio : The tabula rasa song. A simple song almost swept away what came before, it inaugurated a new era where the songs were again short and to the point, where the instrumental flourishes and self-indulgence of prog-rock were abolished and where the rebel attitude of old time rock & roll saw their innocence being replaced by nihilism.

Two songs with a very different fate. One gets a quite deceiving rank versus what we could except from the AMers but a good one versus the AM 3000, the other does the opposite.

Come on, 12th for Marquee Moon is good enough, otherwise we would pass for a bunch of snobs !

nicolas
Come on, 12th for Marquee Moon is good enough, otherwise we would pass for a bunch of snobs !

It finished 13th in both of our all-time polls, so that's why this low finish is a bit of a surprise.

10) Bob Dylan - Tangled Up in Blue (1975)
1027 points

The only good videos can not be embedded on the forum unfortunately

Rank in the 1975 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 48

Fans : Otisredding #1, Harold Wexler #2, Jackson #4, sonofsamiam #10

Alex D : For some reason, I don't like this song as much as I used to. It's a tad long, but no one tops Bobby Dylan for evocative lyrics.

9) Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side (1972)
1037 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 11

Fans : Stephan #4, Henrik #6, Honorio #6, Otisredding #7, Jackson #9, Chris #10
Nobody tells him where to walk : sonofsamiam #93

Alex D : It really doesn't sound quite like anything else out there. For 1972, it's very hipster-ish, with that drumbeat and the lines about "colored girls".

Honorio : Working on the Factory. The (relatively few) years on Andy Warhol’s Factory were a continuous source of inspiration during Lou Reed long career. But never as brilliantly as in this song, where five real characters from Warhol troupe illustrates the wild New York nightlife fauna of transvestites, whores, dealers, hustlers, junkies… and rock & roll.

Blood on the Tracks is a great album. I always preferred the ironic "Jack of Hearts" to the more serious "Tangled Up in Blue," but understand why the latter is so much more popular with others.

Finally caught up with the results posting!
I'm really impressed with that song "September Gurls", had never heard it before, and how good it is!
There's a huge gap between numbers 14 and 13, and then the points become similar again, it seems we had thirteen titan songs above all. Well, and for a forum that is not that of a fan of the Pistols, Anarchy appearing at 11th is a clear signature that it's indeed worth it's place as best song of the seventies.

8) David Bowie - Life on Mars? (1971)
1043 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 5
Rank in the AM 70s list : 77

Fans : brose #3, Honorio #4, Petri #7
Saddening bored : Stephan #37 (/41)

Alex D : If David Bowie had a musical canvas, he'd have painted a Dali on this one. It's so wonderfully strange and the piano line is such a nice complement to his singing. I also <3 the music video where it's just him and that white background - it does so much with so little, which is a lot like the song.

7) Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven (1971)
1066 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 2
Rank in the AM 70s list : 2

Fans : RockyRaccoon #2, Chris #3, Alex D #3, Harold Wexler #7, Nassim #9, nicolas #10
Spirit crying for leaving : Charlie Driggs #99

Alex D : Greatest. Classic. Rock. Song. Ever. There are kids who play their guitar till they bleed trying to learn the solo. There are tons of teenagers who play this song trying to get into their girlfriend's pants. There are parents who tear their hair out cause they're worried about Satanic influence. Frankly, if Satan wrote this song, I think I'd worship him. Yeah, Led Zeppelin played the mysterious Celtic-folk imagery to the hilt here, but that's what makes it so great. The recorder, the guitar, the build-up, the solo, the ending section - it's the stuff of legends.

So now we have what could have pretty safely been predicted as the top 5 and an underdog... who will miss the real top 5 ? Maybe not Who you think...

6) Clash, The - London Calling (1979)
1141 points

Video requested by Alex D!

Rank in the 1979 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 7

Fans : Michel #1, Harold Wexler #5, Mindrocker #6, Stephan #7, brose #9, Otisredding #9, Alex D #10

Alex D : I cite the video above (I think it is that one, the link sent by Alex D has been deleted since he sent my his comments) as proof that this is the best punk song ever.

Seems like that is not what most of the Forum expected. However London Calling has been far from the top 2 (even though our 2 leaders killed the competition with only the last handful of votes) from the very beginning and miss the top 5 for a dozen points.

Life On Mars at 8! Now this is a great surprise! Far above its AM rank. I don't like Bowie, but this is one of the best pop songs ever made. It's also good to see Heroes in the top 5, but I'm particularly cheering for Born to Run.

I'll have to listen to "Life on Mars" some more. I would not have ranked it in the top 20 myself. Stairway to Heaven is my #1 of all time, and I would have predicted that London Calling would have been one of the top 2 rated songs on the list. I would not have ranked Heroes as high as the rest of the group apparently has.

It's high time I ended those results !

5) Stevie Wonder - Superstition (1972)
1152 points

Rank in the 1972 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 8

Fans : Alex D #5, RockyRaccoon #5, Nicolas #5, brose #5, Chris #8, Harold Wexler #10

Alex D : "Pure joy" - that's the feeling I get when I hear this song. That's all there is to it. Not to mention that it put the clavinet out of style, that it's so funky it's just ridiculous, or that Stevie played all the parts himself…the list goes on and on.
Honorio : A (legendary) clavinet riff as the axis, with an awesome brass part and a terrific vocal part as other highlights, for the best exponent of Wonder funky side.

4) Who, The - Baba O'Riley (1971)
1164 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 3
Rank in the AM 70s list : 161

Fans : Jonah #1, Stephan #1, Alex D #4, Chris #5, Miguel #8

Alex D : I first heard this at age 12. I couldn't help but be lured into a trance by it, the riff in the beginning is just hypnotic. I knew it would be one of my favorite songs about five seconds in. Everything about it is pretty much perfect - the riff, the power chords, the sneaky little bass fills, Keith Moon being Keith Moon, the violins, the outro, Roger Daltrey screaming "we're all wasted," everything pretty much.

Impressive results for this underdog, only 2 low votes from the H Duo (them again) prevents it from reaching the bottom of the podium.

I've never understood why Baba O'Riley isn't top 100 on the AM main list; it's an absolute classic. Ironically, because of its classic status I have grown tired of it because it is overplayed on classic rock radio stations and at sports stadiums. Superstition has never really gotten old despite the overplay.

My guess for top three:
1. Born to Run
2. What's Going On
3. Heroes

Nassim
Impressive results for this underdog, only 2 low votes from the H Duo (them again) prevents it from reaching the bottom of the podium.
Ha ha, Baba O'Riley is not bad. The Who's second best post-'67 song (behind Pinball Wizard) reached #81 in my list, which is definitely a decent position in this competition. Well, at least there's no horrible YEAHHHHHHHHHH in this song.

Henrik
Nassim
Ha ha, Baba O'Riley is not bad. The Who's second best post-'67 song (behind Pinball Wizard) reached #81 in my list, which is definitely a decent position in this competition. Well, at least there's no horrible YEAHHHHHHHHHH in this song.

Edit: Not that anyone cares, but "Baba O'Riley" was actually my #74. "Who's Next" was my #81 in the albums poll.

I think it will go

3. What's Going On
2. Born To Run
1. "Heroes"

This was Bowie's decade.

Yes, the H Duo is a strong team.
But I swear we didn’t pact our votes, just see the position on my list of Henrik’s #100: “Layla” was my #9. Number nine, number nine…

3) Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)
1194 points

Rank in the 1971 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 3

Fans : Honorio #2, Chris #2, Alex D #2, Midaso #2, nicolas #6, Otisredding #8, sonofsamiam #8, Henrik #9
What’s going wrong? : Stephan #32 (/41), Michel #93

Alex D : IMO this is the greatest soul song of all time. It would be T10 on the string arrangement alone. Marvin's voice is a joy to listen to, and he turned in his best lyrics for this one - the message is timeless (unfortunately). It's a great example of contrasts - who would of thought such a sweet melody could deliver such powerful and deep ideas - and though I'm not religious, I really think the song feels like a gift from above.

Honorio : Maybe naïve but not bland, maybe old-fashioned but still relevant today (we still “got to find a way to bring some lovin’ here today” , the message of the song still would be nothing without the smooth, silky and elegant music that delicately envelops it. The best prove possible that peace, love and understanding are more serious than funny.

2) David Bowie - "Heroes" (1977)
1313 points

Rank in the 1977 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 12

Fans : Henrik #1, brose #2, Midaso #4, Brad #4, Michel #4, Jackson #5, Honorio #7, Stephan #8, Charlie Driggs #10

Alex D : "'Heroes'" shows I think the side of David Bowie we all wanted to see for the longest time - what he would be like underneath the persona. And it's beautifully done. Take the quotations around the title for what you will, but I think this is a genuine reflection of Bowie himself wanting to be a "hero".

Honorio : Sometimes fiction surpasses reality. Bowie peeped two lovers dating by the Berlin wall, unaware or the danger (legend says that it was Tony Visconti having an extramarital affair) and created a heroic love tale with “guns shot above our heads”. The awesome Eno atmospheres, Fripp guitar and Bowie vocal performance made the rest. Just for one day…

1) Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run (1975)
1404 points

Rank in the 1975 poll : 1
Rank in the AM 70s list : 6

Fans : Honorio #1, brose #1, Midaso #1, Alex D #1, Brad #3, Stephan #3, nicolas #3, Mindrocker #3, Otisredding #5, Chris #6, RockyRaccoon #8

Alex D : Dunnnnnnnnnnnnh-da-da-da-dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnh-dunnnnnnnh-dunnnnnnnnnnnh!!! This is a strong contender for #1 in the songs poll, and #1 here. If there was ever a song that made you feel like music could really save your soul, that rock could make your life better, this is it. Is it too big and overblown? Maybe. But it's only as big as the dreams you have to have to get out of Asbury Park, NJ or (insert your dying small-town here). Besides that, though, the execution is great, every little bit is perfectly placed, from sax to drums to extra reverb to (best part) to Bruce's "Huh!" He's The Boss for a reason - this song.

Honorio : Cars and girls. Maybe these backstreet Romeo and Juliet stories of the first Springsteen albums only happened in a parallel universe but introduced an epic tone in rock music almost unheard previously (at least in such heights) and almost unreachable after, even by Springsteen himself. Some things hurt more much more than cars and girls? Really?

And... yes, great poll. My #1 song and my #1 album were the #1s of the poll!!
Excellent work Nassim, I enyojed a lot your funy comments.

Yes, I really enjoyed the funny comments too. Thanks for two great shows, Nassim!

I am surprised (but not disappointed although "Heroes" was my #1) that Bruce defeated David. I thought "Heroes" was untouchable in this community.

I am both surprised and happy. I never thought that the boss would win an AMF poll !

You're great !!

Henrik
Yes, I really enjoyed the funny comments too. Thanks for two great shows, Nassim!

I am surprised (but not disappointed although "Heroes" was my #1) that Bruce defeated David. I thought "Heroes" was untouchable in this community.

Except myself, everybody put Heroes in its top 50, while 2 people put Born to run in its lower half.
Still, all those top 10 votes for Bruce really made the difference.

I'll chime in too and join the chorus: excellent work Nassim.

Btw, nicolas or Nassim, what's nicolas' #1? I didn't see it mentioned.

Stephan
I'll chime in too and join the chorus: excellent work Nassim.

Btw, nicolas or Nassim, what's nicolas' #1? I didn't see it mentioned.

I forgot him there that's right, it was Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road !

(and thanks)

Thank you Nassim.

Viva la música y viva el rock

Yeeeeeeeeeeeah!!! First time I really love the result of one of these decade polls. Born to Run is a totally perfect song. Every little element is perfectly placed and recorded, not to mention that astonishing second brass solo before the last part. That false ending continues to thrill me even today.