Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another poll suggestion... a division system

I know we have enough polls already, but I just can't resist mentioning an idea that I just got.

In the shared area that I created yesterday, I added an EOY-summary type spreadsheet with AM's top 100 albums, for everybody to fill in their personal ranks of these 100 records. This could be "division 1" and then there could be another spreadsheet, "division 2", for albums 101-200 and so on. After perhaps a year or half a year, when lots of people have added their ranks, we could start a new "season" where some albums have moved up and down in the division system.

What do you think?

PS. The size of the divisions needs to be discussed, it might be better with > 100 albums. Alternatively, if you don't like the idea of a division system but want to rank more than 100 albums, I could just extend the existing spreadsheet.

Re: Another poll suggestion... a division system

Henrik, after about 4-5 years of coming to this site, I automatically divide albums up into their 200s, based on the pages. Top 200 is tier 1, 201-400 is 2, 401-600 is 3.

That said, we'd probably want the tiers to increase in size. There's no reason to have a tier 4 that's only as big as tier 1.

Maybe:

Tier 1: 1-250
Tier 2: 251-750
Tier 3: 751-1500
Tier 4: Rest of the top 3000?

I think this could be good. I love the relegation/promotion concept and think it will be fun to apply to the AM list. Would also be good to do with the songs list.

Would participants need to rank every album in a given division?

Schwah
Would participants need to rank every album in a given division?
No, I was thinking that you would order the X albums you've heard from 1 to X and decide a value <=X for unheard albums.