Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rolling Stone's Best of the '80s

They're revisiting their list from 1989, and although I've noted this before, we don't have it here at AM. The version used by AM is the Rolling Stone Australian version, which has quite a few differences. For example, no "1999."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31233821/the_100_best_albums_of_the_eighties/

P.S. This is the list that first got me interested in acclaimed music.

Re: Rolling Stone's Best of the '80s

Rocky Raccoon
They're revisiting their list from 1989, and although I've noted this before, we don't have it here at AM. The version used by AM is the Rolling Stone Australian version, which has quite a few differences. For example, no "1999."

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/31233821/the_100_best_albums_of_the_eighties/

P.S. This is the list that first got me interested in acclaimed music.

1999's exclusion needs to be corrected at once!

Is the narrative below the rankings new or is this what was there originally?

I'm pretty sure it's what they originally wrote in the magazine, although I'd have to dig it out and dust it off to check.

Having read through most of them, I don't see any references that would make me think it was written recently.

Hard to argue with their number one, but it's hard to believe there's no Pixies on there.

ChrisF
Having read through most of them, I don't see any references that would make me think it was written recently.

It wasn't. That is also the reason there is no Pixies on there.

This list hasn't really aged well. Their assertion that the '80s wasn't revolutionary is especially laughable.

Wow...that takes me back. Like you, Rocky, this was the first big list I can remember perusing; in fact, it was published as little CD-sized book, which I kept around for a while as a reference (which is why I always remember that they actually picked a 1979 album as #1).

That said...um, no, it hasn't aged well (Aretha Franklin? Robbie Robertson? Daydream Nation one place behind Dylan's Oh Mercy?). Somewhere between 1980 and 1990, RS pretty much lost the plot, primarily because their center of gravity was still 1967. On the other hand, considering the list was created in 1989, it's not too surprising that Doolittle and Paul's Boutique aren't on it (but Tracy Chapman is, and at #10, no less).

Really, decade lists should be revised from time to time, as Pitchfork did with their 90s list. With all due gratitude to Harold Wexler for tabulating the current rash of EOD lists (many thanks, Harold!), in five years there will be things on those lists that look kinda silly.

Any plans to update 1999's status, Henrik?