Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grammy Nominations 2010

A rather boring year, in my opinion. I think that if Radiohead or Coldplay would have had their albums released during the time frame for this year's ceremony, one of them would have won Album of the Year.

Anywho, here are the nominations for Record of the Year and Album of the Year, which I believe qualifies for End-of-Year lists:

RECORD OF THE YEAR
"Halo" (Beyoncé)
"I Gotta Feeling" (the Black Eyed Peas)
"Use Somebody" (Kings Of Leon)
"Poker Face" (Lady Gaga)
"You Belong With Me" (Taylor Swift)

ALBUM OF THE YEAR
I Am…Sasha Fierce (Beyoncé)
The E.N.D. (the Black Eyed Peas)
The Fame (Lady Gaga)
Big Whiskey And The Groogrux King (Dave Matthews Band)
Fearless (Taylor Swift)

Re: Grammy Nominations 2010

The Shammys- er, Grammys- is another mess this year- I mena, "Halo" for Record, and "Single Ladies" for Song? Should it not be reversed?

And, another example of popularity dictating- I like "I Gotta Feeling," but Black Eyed Peas up for Album of the Year? Geesh. I guess the argument could be that the category isn't "BEST Album of the Year." Non-major categories do have the "best" tag, though, so what's their excuse a lot of the time?

All the Record of the Year nominees were big mainstream hits- occasionally, there will be a nominee that wasn't a huge radio hit, but mostly, that's how it is.

The most acclaimed nominee of the albums probably would be Taylor Swift? I'd think GaGa's album would be more acclaimed, but, in hindsight, it didn't fare all that well on year-end lists last year.

Absolutely horrible. I hope these aren't eligible for anything on this site.

Using my theory that correctly predicted so-called surprise wins of Album of the Year for Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, Herbie Hancock, and Ray Charles, this year's winner of album of the year will be another "surprise": Dave Matthews Band.

Generally, they go to the album/song that people my mom's age are most likely to enjoy. So I think it'll be Taylor Swift for albums (who is far and away the best of the acts nominated, for albums at least) and Black Eyed Peas for songs (far and away the worst, most ruthlessly pandering song I have heard incessantly on the radio for quite some time.)

What awful choices. Lady Gaga would be my pick for both, and I don't even like her.