The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Porcupine Tree ... worth checking out?

And if so, where should a person begin?

Re: Porcupine Tree ... worth checking out?

YES!!!!! it's worth.

Maybe you've heard they're a progressive rock band, well, they are not really a progressive rock band. The band members use to say they are an Art Rock band. Their music is not complex, but their production is(all their albums are really well produced), so I have to say, if you'll download beware with the audio quality. If you listen it in low bitrate, you'll think it's quite a crap piece of shit.

Well, where to start...
You should start by Stupid Dream (album released in 1999). After that you might go to Lightbulb Sun(2000), than to In Absentia(2002). I recommend you to follow this order because it is a natural process of musical evolution. After hearing these three albums you can chose where to go to... to their first records(more psychedelic stuff), or to their albums released in 2005 or 2007(Deadwing and Fear Of A Blank Planet, respectively), heavy metal influenced stuff. Fear Of A Blank Planet got a Grammy nomination for "Best Surround Sound Album". In Absentia is their first record with heavy metal elements.

After hearing the first three recomended albums, and one or two from the psychedelic phase (in fact you should hear them all), and the albums released in 2005 and 2007... after it all... you can finally hear The Incident (their album released this year), this album is a summary of all what they've been since the beginning of the band.

I recommend this band to everyone, I like it very very much, so I can ensure you that Porcupine Tree is guarantee of good music .