Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where will 2000s songs rank in the AM3000 after the next update?

I am really curious to see what the top-rated songs of the 2000s will be once the end-of-decade lists and the last few end-of-year lists are tabulated.

Any predictions as to what the #1 song will be?

I think it will be a very close race between "Paper Planes" and "Hey Ya!"

M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" will obviously have a huge jump, as it was one of the top-ten highest rated songs two years in a row, and is faring the best from the EOD lists.

Although our current leader on the AM3000 is Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy," EOD lists haven't been as spectacular for this song (#26) as it was in 2006 when it was deemed an instant classic.

OutKast's "Hey Ya!" on the other hand has retained its popularity with critics at the end of its decade, which is quite impressive considering that its album, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, has pretty much been erased from the minds of critics.

Some surprises: Panda Bear's "Bro's," Radiohead's "Idioteque," and the Knife's "Heartbeats" have managed to make the top ten in critics' end-of-decade lists, despite never having made a huge dent in the Top 3000 (in fact, "Heartbeats" is the only song of that bunch with an actual rank in the top 3000: #2144). Other previously unranked titles that will be helped out by the end of decade lists:
Animal Collective's "My Girls" (#11)
Hercules & Love Affair's "Blind" (#15, will also have a lot of help from end of year lists)
Burial's "Archangel" (#32)
MGMT's "Time to Pretend" (#38)

Along with "Hey Ya!," Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On," Beyonce's "Crazy in Love," Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out," and the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" are the only other songs to have stayed in the top ten in both the current Top 3000 as well as the critics' end of decade top ten.

Aside from "Crazy," some titles we can potentially expect some significant drops from:
Kylie Minogue's "Can't Get You Out of My Head" (current: #8, EOD: #30)
Justice's "D.A.N.C.E." (current: #12, EOD: #165)
Amy Winehouse's "Rehab" (current: #10, EOD: #102)
Kanye West's "Gold Digger" (current: #13, EOD: unranked)
Amerie's "1 Thing" (current: #16, EOD: #93)
Eminem's "Stan" (current: #20, EOD: #432)
Coldplay's "Yellow" (current: #24, EOD: #429)

Some titles we can expect some huge jumps from:
Sufjan Stevens's "Chicago" [yay!] (current: #125, EOD: #21), LCD Soundsystem's "Someone Great" (current: #112, EOD: #24), Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady" (current: #93, EOD: #27), Daft Punk's "One More Time" (current: #79, EOD: #23), The Shins' "New Slang" (current: #166, EOD: #33), the Knife's "We Share Our Mother's Health" (current: #305, EOD: #34)

share your thoughts/predictions/other things you have noticed about the EOD lists! :D

Re: Where will 2000s songs rank in the AM3000 after the next update?

I think it's a bit too early to tell, as I expect a lot more EOD lists to come in for songs. I can see "Hey Ya!", "Crazy", "Paper Planes", "All My Friends", and "Take Me Out" doing really well.