Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AMF Songs Poll: Make your voice heard!

After nicolas' wonderful job with the album poll, we need to decide what is going on with the song poll!

There is a lot to decide, from who is running the poll, when it will take place and other details (how many songs to submit, etc.)

I know Jackson and a few others have previously expressed interest in hosting the poll, but I don't think we've made anything official. I'm pretty sure I'm on board for the subsequent artist poll, but I can run the song poll if nobody wants to step up.

So let's sort it out here!

Re: AMF Songs Poll: Make your voice heard!

You beat me to the punch Moonbeam: I was just about to make a thread about the same thing! Like I've previously stated, I would like to run the poll, unless a longer-tenured forum member really wants to.

There are a couple questions I had for the forum:

First off, when do you want to do the poll? I was thinking submit lists in January and reveal in February so it wouldn't overlap with the 70s poll, but I'd be fine with doing it earlier.

How many songs do you want to submit? I was thinking 200, or possibly 300 if there was sufficient interest.

Also, what formula should be used to tabulate the results? I don't think it should be the same as the album poll formula.

If you have any other questions, ideas, comments, etc., like Moonbeam said, put them here!

I think the more songs we can include, the better. I can easily make a list of my top 500-1000 songs, whereas, I can have a tough time coming up with my "top" 200 albums without delving into albums I thought were just okay. There's just so many more songs I have heard than albums. This allows for an easier time coming up with an extensive list, but at the same time, allows for a lot more "surprises" to sneak in, so the more songs people put on their lists, the more matchups you will find between the lists.

I've found that with running many songs polls previous, 500 is a nice number. (Minimum 100, Maximum 500.) Not sure what formula makes the most sense, but some sort of similar weighting scale would be good.

January-February for submission makes sense -- good to let people know now so they can begin! Also, I know this is atypical around here, but what about letting people post their lists in the thread as it runs rather than keeping it "secret" ... it's a good way to remind people of things they forgot, especially with something as vast as songs.

Also, not to muddy the waters, but are we doing EOY and End of Decade lists? I'm chompin' at the bit for those...

sonofsamiam
Also, not to muddy the waters, but are we doing EOY and End of Decade lists? I'm chompin' at the bit for those...

I think the concensus was that we would wait untill 2010 or 2011 to do our decade lists; so as to give us some months to digest all the critics list before making our own.

We should definately do an EOY poll for albums and songs though. I think December intto Januray is probably best for AM Pazz and Jop.

sonofsamiam

January-February for submission makes sense -- good to let people know now so they can begin! Also, I know this is atypical around here, but what about letting people post their lists in the thread as it runs rather than keeping it "secret" ... it's a good way to remind people of things they forgot, especially with something as vast as songs.

If we do it this year the deadline must be at the latest in the mid of December (then we have time to finish the countdown before 70's poll results).
So mayby February (or January) is better.
sonofsamiam

I'm also interested about this. Like I said before I can host this poll (albums and songs of 00's) if there are people who'll participate. I understand that we do 00's in 2011 (like we have 80's this year). But top 100 of the decade lists are still very different than games like that.
And what about top 100 movies of 00's?

I don't know about 500 songs. The only problem I would have again that would be that the task would be much harder for the poll host.

I'd be very happy for the songs list to have submissions of 300 or even 500 songs. It's up to the host, though.

(cheers) 500! 500! 500!

Last year P&J was last two weeks in December and first two weeks of January for albums, last two weeks of January for 1st round songs, and the first two weeks of February for 2nd round songs, with results on or about the 16th/17th of the month. I, for one, would like to keep this format; it worked quite nicely, especially with two rounds for songs. I wouldn't mind if it got pushed back until January for the start though. This leaves December open with the exception of the 70s poll unveiling. So I would suggest having a songs poll this year with the deadline as New Year's, and doing the unveiling in January.

And I would be willing to run one of the Pazz & Jop polls, if no one else wants to. (I would really like to run one of these things, but I'm terrible with Excel spreadshits.)

I would be willing to tabulate up to 500 songs, since I assume most people would include far fewer amounts of songs. But if that happened, the results might take a few weeks to add up after the poll ends, so I don't think I would get the list out a few days after the deadline like Nicolas did.

I also support the idea of posting the lists in the thread. This would allow for more commenting on individual lists, as opposed to the intimidating wall-of-lists that get posted after the poll. I don't think it would spoil the result or anything, especially since we already know a few songs that will be surefire top 20.

I have no preference for the timing of any of the polls, though I think waiting a while to do the EOD albums poll might be a good idea.

Jackson
I would be willing to tabulate up to 500 songs, since I assume most people would include far fewer amounts of songs. But if that happened, the results might take a few weeks to add up after the poll ends, so I don't think I would get the list out a few days after the deadline like Nicolas did.

I also support the idea of posting the lists in the thread. This would allow for more commenting on individual lists, as opposed to the intimidating wall-of-lists that get posted after the poll. I don't think it would spoil the result or anything, especially since we already know a few songs that will be surefire top 20.

I have no preference for the timing of any of the polls, though I think waiting a while to do the EOD albums poll might be a good idea.

I'd be all for opening the songs poll now, with 1/1/10 as the due date. (Leaves time for those on holiday, etc.)

sonofsamiam
Jackson

I'd be all for opening the songs poll now, with 1/1/10 as the due date. (Leaves time for those on holiday, etc.)

Hear, hear!

I still prefer keeping the ballots secret until the final result, though.

Jackson
Also, what formula should be used to tabulate the results? I don't think it should be the same as the album poll formula.
I'm not sure why the album poll formula wouldn't work, but a possible alternative could be to use the template for EOY/EOD critics lists.

I'm writing before thinking in this paragraph, but...what if we have a spreadsheet (perhaps a google spreadsheet that everyone can update) for people to add their favorite songs (unranked) as a first stage of the poll. Everyone could enter up to 100(?) songs and all the songs that receive more than one vote will continue to stage two. Strategic voting could be allowed, I think it could be fun. In stage two, the EOD template could be used, where everyone ranks the songs and send their copy of the spreadsheet to the poll moderator who makes the usual thrilling countdown in a forum thread.

Well, perhaps this was a too big step away from the traditional poll model...?

Henrik
Jackson
I'm not sure why the album poll formula wouldn't work, but a possible alternative could be to use the template for EOY/EOD critics lists.

I'm writing before thinking in this paragraph, but...what if we have a spreadsheet (perhaps a google spreadsheet that everyone can update) for people to add their favorite songs (unranked) as a first stage of the poll. Everyone could enter up to 100(?) songs and all the songs that receive more than one vote will continue to stage two. Strategic voting could be allowed, I think it could be fun. In stage two, the EOD template could be used, where everyone ranks the songs and send their copy of the spreadsheet to the poll moderator who makes the usual thrilling countdown in a forum thread.

That's not a bad idea, however, I still think that first stage lists should be a lot more than 100 songs. You'll have a lot less songs that receive more than one vote if you go with that number (and you'll get a lot more unusual selections). Great idea, but go with up to 500. All the songs with 2 votes move on, and each member can rank their top 200 of that pool of songs?

I felt that 500 songs would be too many if strategic voting would be allowed. But it's a major drawback of my suggested plan if fewer songs would be discussed. There are ways to come around this, for example with closed voting in stage 1, however that would require a lot more work by the moderator.

Henrik
Jackson

No way. I'll be the only one to vote for my favorite song, but I really want to vote it Number 1.

500 is way too much for the moderator.I can tell you that !

Henrik : I like your idea.

I think one of the good things about doing the polls as we have done them is that everyone's voice is equally heard. I only had 38 out of my top 200 albums make our collective top 200, but I still loved seeing where my other choices fared. I know my songs list will likely be even less represented in the overall top 200, so reducing the poll to a 2-stage process will take most of the fun out of it for me.

I don't really like the idea of a two-step process either. I think that would reinforce consensus favorites rather than introduce people to new songs, which is the point of doing the poll in the first place. Sure, people might have to listen to some new songs for the part II voting, but the results would likely be tailored more toward the more popular songs than great-yet-overlooked songs.

Jackson
I don't really like the idea of a two-step process either. I think that would reinforce consensus favorites rather than introduce people to new songs, which is the point of doing the poll in the first place. Sure, people might have to listen to some new songs for the part II voting, but the results would likely be tailored more toward the more popular songs than great-yet-overlooked songs.

Exactly! We could have a general recommendations thread instead where people can post songs they'd like others to hear.

Just my view, but 500 is ridiculous. A smaller number forces one to take a serious critical look at one's list and whittle it down. 500 promotes flabbiness, IMO.

But whatever the maximum limit is, I personally won't be submitting more than 100. I just do not have time to type up 500 song titles and try to assess which should be no. #367 rather than #368 and #461 instead of #462.

I always have trouble with songs lists because of my tendency to listen to albums as a whole not paying attention to song titles. It'd be tough for me to get it out to 500. But, I have no problem with it going out that far for members who are more focused on singles.

Although, we might want to consider points going down slower than they do in the album poll.

Jackson
I don't really like the idea of a two-step process either. I think that would reinforce consensus favorites rather than introduce people to new songs

Agreed. I really only vote in the songs polls for 2 reasons:
1) Try and get more notice out on songs I think are underappreciated.
2) Discover underappreciated tunes for myself

I've heard most of the "top 300" canon and for the most part I'm fairly decided about them. Either I like 'em or I don't...stuff outside that I'm less likely to know or to have solidified opinions about.

I like the 2 step process idea a lot. It may be a little bit more of a consensus result than a straight 1 -step vote. However, if we keep the threshhold low for inclusion in the second round of balloting, I think we may find some surprises. And the individual lists from round 1 will get posted, so we can see all of the interesting outliers that our fellow forum buddies would like to highlight.

Best of all, however, will be the discovery process in the second round. I am sure that there will be lots of new songs that we will all have to listen to as part of that process. I think it could be really fun.

Whoever the moderator is should decide on the number of round 1 votes. I'm up for making my list up to 500, but wouldn't want to wish that counting job on anyone.

Greg Rumpff
Jackson
I don't really like the idea of a two-step process either. I think that would reinforce consensus favorites rather than introduce people to new songs

I've heard most of the "top 300" canon and for the most part I'm fairly decided about them. Either I like 'em or I don't...stuff outside that I'm less likely to know or to have solidified opinions about.

Exactly.

I can write a script to help with the vote counting, but the problem would be somebody would have to go through and merge together same entries that are spelled differently.

My input on the two step vote: I remember when we did that for the 2008 songs poll and it ended up the top of the poll was nothing but Fleet Foxes. I don't think it'd diversify the results very much, but it may make the ordering more fair, because it'll reduce the 'people voting against stuff they haven't heard' issue. (But then again, we've got Bracketology for that.)

Some points:

I've done several 500-max songs polls (with 100+ contributors), and it's not that bad, mainly since there are fewer repeaters. I can help with this if need be.

500 songs is assuredly NOT flabby. Most people here have more than 500 albums, and many more than that. It's very easy to get to 1000 songs one thinks are GREAT, if one has made music their main hobby. (I've been working hard to pare my list down from 3000, and it's been extremely painful.)

I feel very strongly about keeping with the normal method of voting, mainly because a lot of our polls have been trending toward the obvious in the results. I fear that even with strategic voting, too many babies would get lost in the bathwater through this method, and we would immediately be limited to the typical canon.

sonofsamiam
Some points:

I've done several 500-max songs polls (with 100+ contributors), and it's not that bad, mainly since there are fewer repeaters. I can help with this if need be.

500 songs is assuredly NOT flabby. Most people here have more than 500 albums, and many more than that. It's very easy to get to 1000 songs one thinks are GREAT, if one has made music their main hobby. (I've been working hard to pare my list down from 3000, and it's been extremely painful.)

I feel very strongly about keeping with the normal method of voting, mainly because a lot of our polls have been trending toward the obvious in the results. I fear that even with strategic voting, too many babies would get lost in the bathwater through this method, and we would immediately be limited to the typical canon.

I agree that 500 songs does not necessarily make for a flabby list. I've got my top 2000 ready to go.

Another thing we can do : make a 2-step vote AND publish our original individual lists.

BillAdama
I always have trouble with songs lists because of my tendency to listen to albums as a whole not paying attention to song titles. It'd be tough for me to get it out to 500. But, I have no problem with it going out that far for members who are more focused on singles.

I´m at the opposite end of this opinion. I know many great albums that still include one or two stinkers that really spoil the fun for me listening to them. I know even more so-so albums that nevertheless have a couple of great tracks on ´em. So it´s kinda tough for me to valuate albums in its whole. On the other hand, listing individual songs is much easier. A song is a good one or it isn´t.
I´m looking more eagerly forward to the songs poll than I did to the AMF albums poll. Also because compilations were not allowed in the latter. This rule did not serve well some of my very favorite artists (James Brown, Duke Ellington, Bobby Bland, etc.) I will make up for them in the songs poll :).
And yes, I also like the idea of a 500 songs list (or 1000, whatever you wish-poor moderator), but I would prefer that we hold this poll in the beginning of next year. While still recuperating from the albums poll, the 70s poll going on, the EOY lists coming, it would be a bit too much for me to work on such a huge individual songs list right now. And no, I´m not in favor of a two-steps process. The results will be very predictable.
Oh yeah, what´s wrong with revealing this future AMF songs list the way Nicolas did with the albums poll ? It may not be a very orginal idea any more, but it was great to see that list slowly unfolding. Much more fun than just posting everything at once.

Greg Rumpff

Here's what I was thinking: If I could vote for say 200 songs in step 1, I would enter maybe 150 favorite songs and then use the remaining 50 songs for strategic voting. For that, I would listen to many more songs from others' ballots than I usually do when they are posted as individual lists after the poll. I would also listen carefully to all songs in step 2. So, at least for me, a two-step process would mean more discovering of underappreciating tunes. Also, I really think the final results would be less predictable.

I just wanted to explain myself, but OK, no two-step process. It was just a suggestion. I have no problem with the usual method (of course).

Mindrocker
Oh yeah, what´s wrong with revealing this future AMF songs list the way Nicolas did with the albums poll ? It may not be a very orginal idea any more, but it was great to see that list slowly unfolding. Much more fun than just posting everything at once.
Mindrocker, I'm not sure if you referred to my post, but I tried to say that I like the slow unfolding, see below:
Henrik
In stage two, the EOD template could be used, where everyone ranks the songs and send their copy of the spreadsheet to the poll moderator who makes the usual thrilling countdown in a forum thread.

What i meant by flabby is not that people will choose not-so-great songs for their list. I have over 5000 CDs, so that is at least 50,000 songs, and I would have no trouble selecting 500 or several thousand great songs from among those.

By flabby, I meant that the process of choosing a smaller number forces one to make difficult critical decisions, which is what the list should be about. Someone said confining their list to under 500 would be "painful" -- and that is exactly what the process of deciding the best songs of all time should be, IMO.

But I know no one agrees with me.

Of course, as with the song list, one can submit as many songs (up to the limit) as one wants, or as few as one wants. In the albums list, I only submitted my top 100. I may do 200 for songs. But my pooor little fingers will never type up 500 songs, artists, years of release. If others want to, of course, that is just fine.

Hi Henrik,
No, it wasn´t you I was referring to, but to an earlier post by Jackson (see below).

Jackson

There are a couple questions I had for the forum:

How many songs do you want to submit? I was thinking 200, or possibly 300 if there was sufficient interest.

Henrik

Here's what I was thinking: If I could vote for say 200 songs in step 1, I would enter maybe 150 favorite songs and then use the remaining 50 songs for strategic voting. For that, I would listen to many more songs from others' ballots than I usually do when they are posted as individual lists after the poll. I would also listen carefully to all songs in step 2. So, at least for me, a two-step process would mean more discovering of underappreciating tunes. Also, I really think the final results would be less predictable.

I just wanted to explain myself, but OK, no two-step process. It was just a suggestion. I have no problem with the usual method (of course).

I can understand the value in it, but I think the scope would be beyond most people's reach. We're talking about several thousand songs in all likelihood being nominated at least once! I wouldn't be opposed to a "recommendations" thread like we did for 2008 songs before the first round of voting, and people who participate can listen to as many or as little of the recommended songs as they wish or are able. I know I'd check out many songs, but knowing that I would likely have to listen to over a thousand new songs would be quite a daunting, if not impossible, task!

One great thing about Bracketology is that I'm learning a lot of the "canon" songs and feel a bit more versed in music history. This really is an awesome website.

I never said I would unveil the songs quickly if I was the moderator--I would do it over about a two-week period, as is the custom in these polls.

Also, I think people would listen to songs off of others' lists if they had the option of posting their lists on the forum instead of emailing them to the moderator. I just don't see much of an advantage to the two-step process, which would require more work for the voters and moderator.

I also think people should be allowed to vote for between 100 and 500 songs, so if the idea of listing 500 songs turns you off, you could still obviously participate.

Jackson

I also think people should be allowed to vote for between 100 and 500 songs, so if the idea of listing 500 songs turns you off, you could still obviously participate.

100% agree with this! And there is definitely an elegance to a perfectly-crafted Top 100 list. It's just not in my blood.

Oh, and it's pretty easy for me to come up with a Top 2000 list, as it's something I've been continuing to tweak and hone for up to a decade now. It's something of an obsession, and at this point it's certainly not at all random.

It amazes me that people can have such long lists of favorite songs. I can handle albums, but a songs poll seems way too daunting. There are so many great songs that it would be impossible for me to even know where to start such an endeavor. And since individual songs are so unique in their goals and so dependent on mood, I'm pretty sure my #27 song one day would be my #3 song on another day and my #459 on yet another.

If I had a long time to prepare, I could come up with an unranked top 10 or 20 list, but that would be a challenge.

Paul
It amazes me that people can have such long lists of favorite songs. I can handle albums, but a songs poll seems way too daunting. There are so many great songs that it would be impossible for me to even know where to start such an endeavor. And since individual songs are so unique in their goals and so dependent on mood, I'm pretty sure my #27 song one day would be my #3 song on another day and my #459 on yet another.

If I had a long time to prepare, I could come up with an unranked top 10 or 20 list, but that would be a challenge.

I feel a bit the same way. Plus:

-- with albums one could more or less begin with about 1963. with songs, one has to go back to at least 1955.
-- also, with albums one could essentially exclude whole genres/labels/categories, like Motown. With songs, one has to look at all the great artists who never made great albums, a much more daunting task.
-- Finally, I assume that "songs" means not just singles, but any song, so one could include any great track from an album. Again, it is pretty daunting to try to capture all of that.

Having said that, I will probably try to make a list of 100, or 200, and will focus mainly on songs that were singles or have at least achieved some "singular" status. And whatever my final list is, it will reflect a highly idiosyncratic and very unscientific assessment on the day it is finalized.

Like other guys, I'm not able to doing a song list. Too difficult for me, really.
I have some songs who carry me to heaven, some "madeleine de proust"'s songs. Maybe I can doing a list with 10 or 15 songs i love the most.
After this, I have thousand of songs I love, but doing a list whith these loving song ????

I've only recently found these forums, so I haven't participated in the other polls, but I'd like to participate in this one since it'd be fun. As such, my 1.25 cents:

-- I like the 500 number. I did a 'rough cut' on my collection (since it's almost completely digitized at this point) and came up with ~1500 tracks to consider. I'd imagine that cutting it from 1000 to 500 would be fairly difficult. This sounds about right to me. Also, more songs might make the overall list more 'accurate,' since my #401 favorite song could potentially give some extra weight to someone else's #27 favorite song.

-- What constitutes a "song"? Would it be limited by date or genre? (That is, would classical compositions be up for inclusion?) And what of multi-part 'songs'? (i.e. What'd I Say (Parts 1 & 2), or multi-suite prog songs?)

Also, I would be willing to help collate some of the data, if needed.

thepris

-- What constitutes a "song"? Would it be limited by date or genre? (That is, would classical compositions be up for inclusion?) And what of multi-part 'songs'? (i.e. What'd I Say (Parts 1 & 2), or multi-suite prog songs?)

Also, I would be willing to help collate some of the data, if needed.

Date and genre wouldn't limit the selections (Henrik's number 1 from the last poll was from the 1800s, I believe). For any multi-part song, all parts of the song would be counted as one unless they take up different tracks on the album. To clarify, "What'd I Say" or something like Yes' "Close to the Edge" or Sonic Youth's "Triliogy" would count as one song, while Neutral Milk Hotel's "King of Carrot Flowers, Pt. 1" is a separate song from "King of Carrot Flowers, Pts. 2 and 3." I'm not sure exactly what the rules are about classical compositions.

If it helps anyone worrying about typing out a long list,if you have an ipod and itunes,it's very easy to copy and paste favourite playlists or most played songs into excel.

With classical, it's tough, but I'd also use the 1 Track rule. It's pretty unlikely that many classical pieces will vie for the final list, so a limitation here probably would be more trouble than it's worth.

Probably what I like most about songs lists is all bets are off.

This thread has been pushed to the bottom with all the EOD lists that have come out in the past week, but it's about time that we make these decisions.

It seems like consensus favors one round of voting, with 100-500 songs being listed. I personally think voters should have the option to post their lists in the thread or by email, but I know some are against revealing lists before the deadline.

The main thing that needs to be decided is when the poll will be. I say we open the poll as soon as possible, then leave it open until mid-to-late January to give the voters and the host (likely me) enough time to compile the lists. What do you guys think?

Jackson

It seems like consensus favors one round of voting, with 100-500 songs being listed.

My vote is for the single round for ease of voting with 500 the maximum but people could send in smaller lists if they desired.

Jackson
I personally think voters should have the option to post their lists in the thread or by email, but I know some are against revealing lists before the deadline.

My vote: All lists are email only. We have a 2nd thread for "recommended songs" but I think the suspense will be better with secret ballots.

Jackson

The main thing that needs to be decided is when the poll will be. I say we open the poll as soon as possible, then leave it open until mid-to-late January to give the voters and the host (likely me) enough time to compile the lists. What do you guys think?

I vote A.S.A.P. on opening with poll left open until late January (for your sake, Jackson...)

I agree on all counts, Greg.

I dunno, I don't think suspense gets ruined by posting lists in the thread. Especially with songs lists, where everything is so disparate...to figure out the winner people would have do their own compiling, and that would be silly.

Personally, I think the individual lists are just as great as the ultimate results. They inevitably get lost in the flood when they're posted at the end...this way, they can be looked at closely as they're posted, and that's the most fun for me. The final list is the consensus, usually not many surprises. The individual lists are where the undiscovered gems are.

I agree with SonOfSam. In this matter :)

Should I just go ahead and get this started? It seems like discussion has stalled. I still favor making it optional to post lists in the thread as well as allowing emailed lists for those who want to keep their picks a surprise.

In hopes of getting this moving, I'll vote for the "optional posting" method. Start December 1 to give 2 full months for sending/posting entries.

Jackson
Should I just go ahead and get this started? It seems like discussion has stalled. I still favor making it optional to post lists in the thread as well as allowing emailed lists for those who want to keep their picks a surprise.

Ultimately, it's your call, Jackson! I'll be fine with whatever you decide, and I look forward to seeing how it turns out! I love that up to 500 songs can be listed. Please feel free to ask me for any help with compiling it, etc.

My list is almost ready but I'd rather wait 'til January, I don't want people to forget about the 70s poll during December !

Nassim
My list is almost ready but I'd rather wait 'til January, I don't want people to forget about the 70s poll during December !

I vote we open the thread for the poll now, an close it at the end of January. That way we can devote December to the 70s poll, and then in January reveal the results for the 70s poll. By the time thats done, we'll have had enough time to get our lists all sorted out and will be ready for another poll.

Yeah, polls!